PDA

View Full Version : Oakland A's discussion

locseti
04-04-2007, 10:51 PM
Bobby Crosby is the worst starting shortstop in the league! I hate him, he makes A Rod look lke a gold glover. His two huge errors blew the last two games for us. Then last night he got up with a chance to atone for his errors and he flied out. Sorry, needed to vent a little. At least were cleaning up tonite.

doingthisinsteadofwork
04-04-2007, 11:22 PM
did the A's get anyone good in the offseason?im not much of a baseball fan so I dont know.

Windy
04-04-2007, 11:30 PM
mike piazza, who was already one of my favorite players.

locseti
04-04-2007, 11:59 PM
Ya, I like the Piazza signing alot. We also brought in Shannon Stewart, a solid outfielder that still has some pop. I just can't understand why Marco Scutaro isn't starting over the abomination that we know as Bobby Crosby.

slightlyaraiderfan
04-05-2007, 12:55 AM
I'm a Dodger fan, but if I had to choose a 2nd team...it would probably be the A's, because they're on of the Angels rivals(who I hate) and the white shoes.

RaiderNation
04-05-2007, 01:01 AM
go giants!

locseti
04-05-2007, 01:07 AM
Well they can be your American League Team. Our players are unselfish, blue collar, hard-partying athletes - No 'me-first' superstars. So, being a Dodger fan, you will obviously not be accustomed to this kind of atmosphere :)

Paranoidmoonduck
04-05-2007, 02:29 AM
It should be interesting how prospect Cliff Pennington does this year with Crosby struggling so hard. It could be time for a position change for Crosby.

Romyrick
04-05-2007, 05:32 PM
Well they can be your American League Team. Our players are unselfish, blue collar, hard-partying athletes - No 'me-first' superstars. So, being a Dodger fan, you will obviously not be accustomed to this kind of atmosphere :)

Who cares about any of this crap

locseti
04-05-2007, 08:30 PM
Who cares about any of this crap

Piss off then.

Romyrick
04-05-2007, 10:37 PM
Piss off then.

How does that affect how they play?

locseti
04-06-2007, 01:30 AM
How does that affect how they play?

I never said anything about that affecting how they play, although a tightly knit unit that cares about each other will always fare better than an allstar lineup with a me first attitude and no team chemistry. Our guys have been together for awhile, and the team is the number one priority.

Romyrick
04-06-2007, 03:13 AM
I'd rather they all be selfish super inflated ego's trying to make themselves better.

Stash
04-06-2007, 11:17 PM
It should be interesting how prospect Cliff Pennington does this year with Crosby struggling so hard. It could be time for a position change for Crosby.

LMAO!! This is some of the craziest stuff I have ever heard. Several people bashing Crosby after 4 games???? Crosby is a rising star in this league and the only thing that has held him back are injuries because if anything he plays too hard. If any of you haven't noticed the A's usually struggle when he is not in the lineup. He will not be replaced unless he gets hurt.

BTW, did you guys love that Piazza HR off K-Rod the other night as much as I did? That guy is clutch. Frank who?

Paranoidmoonduck
04-07-2007, 01:28 AM
LMAO!! This is some of the craziest stuff I have ever heard. Several people bashing Crosby after 4 games???? Crosby is a rising star in this league and the only thing that has held him back are injuries because if anything he plays too hard. If any of you haven't noticed the A's usually struggle when he is not in the lineup. He will not be replaced unless he gets hurt.

Fact remains that he is questionable defensively and can't stay healthy to save his life. He has a hitting future, but it might be at DH so he will stop getting injured in the field.

locseti
04-07-2007, 03:52 AM

BTW, did you guys love that Piazza HR off K-Rod the other night as much as I did? That guy is clutch. Frank who?

Rising star? He's been a supposed 'rising star' for years. His back is in worse shape than Tracy Mcgrady's and he's a huge liability at shortstop. The A's sure weren't struggling last year when he was on the DL, Scutaro came through in a big way down the stretch. For a team that relys on pitching and solid defense to get the job done, Crosby is more risk than reward. our first two losses were direct results of routine plays that Crosby should of made but couldn't. His noodle arm can't even make the through from short to first.

Stash
04-07-2007, 03:29 PM
We must be seeing different things because I always saw Crosby as a pretty good defender with a strong arm and I feel that he and Ellis are one of the better middle infield tandems in the league. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Paranoidmoonduck
04-07-2007, 06:04 PM
His arm is fine, but his defense has been inconsistent. He was very nice on defense his rookie year, but his stats have been steadily declining since then. I'd love to see him turn it around, but I'm not counting on it.

locseti
04-08-2007, 12:57 AM
Crosby already has two throwing errors this young season.

Romyrick
04-08-2007, 12:32 PM
Crosby already has two throwing errors this young season.

Obviously he's a victim of small sample size.

NotoRussell
04-08-2007, 01:21 PM
can somebody explaine me why you like baseball, because everytime i watched it i nearly fell asleep.

Romyrick
04-08-2007, 01:49 PM
It's like chess, it's the only game that is statistically complete. The boxscores tell you the entire story.

Star Wideout
04-08-2007, 02:15 PM
Great pitching performance by Haren wasted at the plate. Man we're going to suck this year.

We're just relying on too many injury prone players Kotsay already is missing 1-2 months with a back injury, Crosby has been having back concerns. Piazza isn't going to be Big Frank. I like the bullpen, but we only have one dominating guy in the rotation, Harden and he alone can't win us the AL West.

locseti
04-08-2007, 02:16 PM
Obviously he's a victim of small sample size.

Hey man, i hope he turns it around, there's a lot more baseball to be played.

locseti
04-08-2007, 02:25 PM
Great pitching performance by Haren wasted at the plate. Man we're going to suck this year.

We're just relying on too many injury prone players Kotsay already is missing 1-2 months with a back injury, Crosby has been having back concerns. Piazza isn't going to be Big Frank. I like the bullpen, but we only have one dominating guy in the rotation, Harden and he alone can't win us the AL West.

The A's are traditionally slow starters, there's nothing to be worried about right now. Harden barely even pitched last year and we won the West, what are you talking about? Our bullpen is solid and we have a top young closer. Piazza is a more reliable player than Big Hurt at this point in his career - he won't get injured running to first base. This is also his first time he'll be strictly DH'ing so you know he'll be fresh

Stash
04-08-2007, 02:33 PM
The A's will make the playoffs like they usually do and they have a good shot on winning the division. We have enough depth to get through injuries and if Harden stays healthy we will have one of the better pitching staffs in baseball. I see the Angels as the only threat to take our division crow, but it all depends on their hitting.

Star Wideout
04-08-2007, 04:15 PM
The A's will make the playoffs like they usually do and they have a good shot on winning the division. We have enough depth to get through injuries and if Harden stays healthy we will have one of the better pitching staffs in baseball. I see the Angels as the only threat to take our division crow, but it all depends on their hitting.
Usually do? In the past 3 seasons we've only made the playoffs once and that was last season. We missed them entirely in 2004,2005.

I don't trust our hitting at all, we score runs sporadically in spurts, and can never rally and build on them. Just now top of the 6th Swish grounded into a double play, and Crosby struck out with runners on.

Blanton is surprisingly giving us a good effort, don't want to jinx him but we should be up by more than 2.

locseti
04-08-2007, 04:47 PM
I share your frustration for the fact that we have a hard time getting hits with runners in scoring position. It was a problem last season and we will still have to try and overcome that deficiency with solid pitching and defense. In those pressure situations, Piazza will come through. Hopefully CHavez will stay healthy and become a force in the lineup... Scutaro got a lot of timely hits last season as did Ellis and Milton Bradley. We have good hitters, they just need to start producing with runners on.

locseti
04-08-2007, 04:49 PM
Blanton is surprisingly giving us a good effort, don't want to jinx him but we should be up by more than 2.

how is that surprising? Blanton is a stud

Star Wideout
04-08-2007, 04:57 PM
how is that surprising? Blanton is a stud
I don't know I'm not as impressed by him. He's a decent no.4 guy. Even though he had 16 wins last season, he had a 4.82 ERA.

We really need to pull this game out to make up some early ground on the Angels.

Star Wideout
04-08-2007, 08:32 PM
Huston. http://www.nfl-fans.com/style_emoticons/default/buttrock.gifThat's all I have to say.

I have to give Piazza props as well 3/4 on the day.

Stash
04-08-2007, 08:47 PM
Usually do? In the past 3 seasons we've only made the playoffs once and that was last season. We missed them entirely in 2004,2005.

I don't trust our hitting at all, we score runs sporadically in spurts, and can never rally and build on them. Just now top of the 6th Swish grounded into a double play, and Crosby struck out with runners on.

If you look at the past 6-7 years we have almost always been in the playoffs with the exception of the years you mentioned, the only problem we seem to have had is advancing very deep into the postseason. That is pretty damn good considering some of the other teams in the division haven't even sniffed the playoffs in a while. I don't think either Seattle or Texas improved enough to be a major threat this season. I expect the A's (barring injury) to be better than they were last season.

locseti
04-15-2007, 07:19 PM
OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) -- With one stunning swing against Mariano Rivera, Marco Scutaro gave the Oakland Athletics their first series victory of the season.

Scutaro hit a three-run homer with two outs in the ninth inning, rallying the A's to a 5-4 win over the New York Yankees on Sunday.

Stash
04-15-2007, 11:21 PM
That guy is always coming up clutch, probably the best back-up infielder in baseball.

locseti
05-14-2007, 12:15 AM
Jack Cust?

Stash
05-14-2007, 12:25 AM
He's filling in for one of the many A's on the DL and he's tearing it up. I'm guessing he was from our farm system, either that or he was the player we acquired in a trade a week or two ago. If he and Buck keep playing well I don't know what we are gonna do with them when the regular starters get healthy.

locseti
05-14-2007, 01:57 AM
Ya, hes one of the players we got from SD, what a pleasant surprise.

Stash
06-01-2007, 11:54 PM
We sooooooo need to get rid of Calero. He was a pretty good reliever last year, but this year he has just sucked the big one. Everytime I see him in a game he is getting lit up. He just gave up the lead tonight in the 10th inning, he is really pissin me off.

nobodyinparticular
06-03-2007, 02:22 PM
I don't know I'm not as impressed by him. He's a decent no.4 guy. Even though he had 16 wins last season, he had a 4.82 ERA.

We really need to pull this game out to make up some early ground on the Angels.

The year before he had a 3.5 ERA. Last year his BABIP was insanely high at something like .331--meaning while he was lucky in terms of wins vs. ERA, he was unlucky in terms of BABIP vs. the mean.

This year his BABIP regressed to the mean and his ERA is consistent at 3.8.

Paranoidmoonduck
06-03-2007, 03:43 PM
Blanton is a solid starter, but not a #1 or #2 by any stretch of the imagination. He racks up innings, has a nice variety of pitches, tosses the occasional gem, and always gives his all.

locseti
06-13-2007, 05:25 PM
Our team is deep, there are so many integral players that are injured and we're still heating up:

Harden
Street
Duchsherererer
Loiza

Bradley
Buck
Kielty
Piazza

Look at those pitchers, two starters, a long-reliever (one of the best in the game,) and our closer. This is just a testament to Billy Beane's genius - our pitching staff is still carrying the team despite the injuries to four big time pitchers.

We should of won the game last night too - Brad Lidge is finished as a closer in this league as far as Im concerned. That guy is mentally destroyed.

Im also looking forward to checking out our young catcher Kurt Suzuki. I live in Sacramento so I have had the pleasure of watching this guy play and Im real high on him. If Kendall cant get out of this slump it may be time to give the young guy a shot. I love Kendall though, and alot of the credit for the success of our staff has to go to him.

I cant wait til we're healthy, AL watch out.

locseti
06-13-2007, 08:21 PM
Kendall hit his first bomb of the season. In fact, it was his first home run in over a year/619 at bats/157 games. So much for the slump.

Windy
06-15-2007, 10:30 PM
yea suzuki is here to stay. kendall is hitting well lately too.

Phrost
06-16-2007, 09:25 PM
How Street doing?

locseti
06-19-2007, 12:49 AM
How Street doing?

He's on the shelf for now but Embree is filling in quite nicely. Dude chews soooo much tobacco, he looks like a chipmunk with that plug in his cheek and big ears.

Blanton had another solid performance, giving up only one run in 8 full innings of work. Very impressive considering the firepower in Cincinnatis lineup - Adam Dunn is 4th in the MLB in homeruns with 19, and Griffey is 5th with 18. Star Wideout must have a patch over his eye for talent, cause Blanton is a stud. He eats so many innings.

Stash
06-19-2007, 11:49 PM
Speaking of studs, Casilla has been awesome out of the pen. I wanna have his friggin baby the way he's pitching.

THIZZorDIE
06-20-2007, 04:34 PM
The A's will have to make a MAJOR push this August, right now I think we stand as the #6 team in the American League. Not in a particular order but you have Boston, New York, Detroit, Minnesota, Anaheim, and Oakland. I could see the A's making it, but maybe not. Minnesota is known to play strong baseball, especially against the A's. It'll be up to players like Harden to come back, Chavez and Crosby to carry their weight offensively, and Swisher to keep everybody amped up like Tejada used to.

locseti
06-21-2007, 01:48 AM
Speaking of studs, Casilla has been awesome out of the pen. I wanna have his friggin baby the way he's pitching.

you are correct sir! Casilla reminds me of a young Julian Tavarez, the kid's got a real live arm. Look forward to seeing big thangs from this guy.

locseti
06-21-2007, 01:51 AM
The A's will have to make a MAJOR push this August, right now I think we stand as the #6 team in the American League. Not in a particular order but you have Boston, New York, Detroit, Minnesota, Anaheim, and Oakland. I could see the A's making it, but maybe not. Minnesota is known to play strong baseball, especially against the A's. It'll be up to players like Harden to come back, Chavez and Crosby to carry their weight offensively, and Swisher to keep everybody amped up like Tejada used to.

Why would you put NY, DET, and MIN in front of us, especially considering the fact that we mopped Minnesota in the playoffs last year and were about to go on our annual midsummer tear? The A's are just getting started, Dan Haren for Cy Young!

Stash
06-21-2007, 08:32 PM
I don't know exactly why yet, but the A's just designated Milton Bradley for assignment. That means the A's have 10 days to trade or release him, so his run with the A's has ended. It could have been his injury issues, but I saw the tail end of an interview with GM Beane on the KTVU news and he was asked if it had to do with behavioral issues. I didn't hear the answer but Mark Ibanez said it sounded like Beane danced around it. If anyone knows more about why we are getting rid of Bradley please share the info. He will be missed because when he was healthy, he was one of the better players on the team.

locseti
06-22-2007, 12:05 AM
I don't know exactly why yet, but the A's just designated Milton Bradley for assignment. That means the A's have 10 days to trade or release him, so his run with the A's has ended. It could have been his injury issues, but I saw the tail end of an interview with GM Beane on the KTVU news and he was asked if it had to do with behavioral issues. I didn't hear the answer but Mark Ibanez said it sounded like Beane danced around it. If anyone knows more about why we are getting rid of Bradley please share the info. He will be missed because when he was healthy, he was one of the better players on the team.

This is bad news, thanks alot stash. I think its a mistake, but we do have a ton of outfielders...

Stash
06-22-2007, 08:58 PM
This is bad news, thanks alot stash. I think its a mistake, but we do have a ton of outfielders...

I think that last part says it all, we have a lot of outfielders and Bradley was going to be a FA after the season. Kielty and Snell (I think that's his name) will be coming off the DL shortly so we needed room, so I guess this move shows the organization is putting its faith in Buck to be the starter.

Windy
07-03-2007, 08:48 PM
duch out for the year

princefielder28
07-14-2007, 10:12 PM
A's fan interested???
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11220

doingthisinsteadofwork
07-18-2007, 01:15 AM
wow Kennedy did great tonight.

Shupp
07-18-2007, 02:16 PM
What exactly did we get for Kendall?

fischbowl
07-18-2007, 02:28 PM
A Lefty Pitcher (blevins) and a Backup Catcher (rob bowen)

what do yall think of my work in the deadline game?

im the gm for Oakland.

locseti
07-23-2007, 11:43 PM
I'm getting worried, looks like were packing it in this yr. too many injuries, we're looking too move another big name too. I wish it were Bobby Crosby, but it wont be.