PDA

View Full Version : Starbury's

SeanTaylorRIP
04-05-2007, 05:12 PM
Just picked mine up at my favorite store Steve and Barry's $7.97 store and they are great sleek and good looking and feel like any $100 dollar shoe. There are over 200 styles both men and women of Basketball, casual, and even skateboard looking shoes all for an amazing $14.98. He also has a cheap clothing line. I may not like Marbury that much but what he is doing is great and special as he is endorsing it well with the help of Ben Wallace. With these cheap shoes some young kids who would usually have to sell drugs or whatever to buy the $200 dollar shoes can now afford these. LeBron being the jealous idiot he is said this:

"Before the game, James took a little shot at Marbury's $14.98 kicks, saying he couldn't imagine endorsing a sneaker that cheap. "No, I don't think so," James said. "Me being with Nike, we hold our standards high."

Marbury Responded with:
"I'd rather own than be owned."

Nice comeback Marbury, love what he's doing as unlike LeBron he isn't just a slave to a big company, I'm sure he is losing profit on this venture but his impact is being felt nationwide, these shoes sold exclusively at Steve and Barry's are flying off the shelves like hotcakes as when I went today it looked like a refugee camp.

They actually look really nice:http://www.starbury.com/goods.php, join the movement lol, but hey Marbury is a good guy LeBron you are an idiot and a corporate slave.

Big Mike
04-05-2007, 05:14 PM
great comeback, i respect marbury for doing this for the community.

jets future
04-05-2007, 05:15 PM
see i v been saying that since august. stephon marbury has gained my respect once he did this. he;s actually heping his ppl. unlike those sell out scrubs like bron bron and wade. i like stephon marbury.

JCutlery
04-05-2007, 05:15 PM
Props to Marbury and great comeback.

princefielder28
04-05-2007, 05:16 PM
Great that you bring this up becuase most athletes are concentrated on the money more than anything else. Stephon, as questionable as some of his actions are, really stepped up and did something great for those who need help and a sense of direction. Regardless of what he does for the rest of his career he should be recognized with excellence and a story like this should never be forgotten.

ny10804
This venture is, IMO, the highlight of Stephon's basketball career.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
Yeah, but LeBron's statement was probably a joke. Marbury is doing a very good thing for the people. There are many kids who grow up in a project neighborhood, who can't afford 200$ shoes, but do so anyway because it's "Cool". Marbury's sells 15$ kicks, but can't be a little more generous with the ball in the game?

snuff
04-05-2007, 05:18 PM
Yeah, kids sell crack to buy Lebrons! GJ Marbury you saved the ghetto from drugs!

Big Mike
04-05-2007, 05:19 PM
Yeah, but LeBron's statement was probably a joke. Marbury is doing a very good thing for the people. There are many kids who grow up in a project neighborhood, who can't afford 200$ shoes, but do so anyway because it's "Cool". Marbury's sells 15$ kicks, but can't be a little more generous with the ball in the game?

i think it wasnt a joke but rather a supposed to be unharmful and innocent comment

etk
04-05-2007, 05:20 PM
Some of those are very nice, I'd definitely cop a few.

ny10804
04-05-2007, 05:22 PM
Yeah, kids sell crack to buy Lebrons! GJ Marbury you saved the ghetto from drugs!

I agree. Harness in the good energy, block out the bad. Harness energy, block, bad. Feel the flow, Snuff. Feel it. It's circular. It's like a carousel. You pay the quarter, you get on the horse. It goes up and down and around. Circular. Circle. With the music. The flow... all good things.

fenikz
04-05-2007, 05:29 PM
I've always like Starbury, to bad he has to play for the knicks, he should come back to phoenix for a championship

im looking at the shoes right now, they look good for 20 bucks, but how do they feel, are they basketball worthy?

soybean
04-05-2007, 05:33 PM
anyone see the 20/20 special on starbury's? mothers cried and told marbury how he saved their family the stores looked like walmart on Black Friday . Also they took a pair of jordans and starbury's and cut them up and had someone analyze them. It's the same shyte.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-05-2007, 05:39 PM
I got the navy blue and orange UVA colors.

ricky bobby
04-05-2007, 05:54 PM
My theory is pay less, get less. I'm always willing to spend the extra dollar to buy a higher quality product. I don't really like basketball sneakers though, They are too bulky regardless of brand. I usually wear running shoes when i'm doing something active. But most of the time it's loafers.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-05-2007, 05:57 PM
My theory is pay less, get less. I'm always willing to spend the extra dollar to buy a higher quality product. I don't really like basketball sneakers though, They are too bulky regardless of brand. I usually wear running shoes when i'm doing something active. But most of the time it's loafers.

I have worn them no different from any $100 dollar shoe, if anything better padded, that theory of pay less get less is a joke, I can get 10 plain polos for the price of 1 lacoste polo and I would feel much happier, that theory is corporate America speaking, Marbury for President!!!

DHVF
04-05-2007, 05:59 PM
Can you buy them online?

BigDawg819
04-05-2007, 06:00 PM
Kudos to Mr. Marbury and his generous act for the enrichment of communities even at what may turn out to personal financial loss. These are the types of stories that need to become mainstream instead of the daily reports of sports figures arrests.

neko4
04-05-2007, 06:01 PM
Lebron has alot of growing up to do. Marbury is doing a great thing but I feel that Steve and Barrys isnt a big enough chain yet,but I dont know how well it fares outside of the east coast

Moses
04-05-2007, 06:03 PM
Very nice move by Marbury however I think it's unfair to be mad at guys like Wage and LeBron for sticking with their normal deals. You can't expect everybody to do something like this. Plus, those guys donate plenty of time and money to charity already.

bigbluedefense
04-05-2007, 06:03 PM
I like some of these. I might get some. And theyre cheap as hell too. Ive never been a fan of buying expensive sneakers. Never made sense to me. Girls arent gonna drop their panties because you got the new Jordans.

Moses
04-05-2007, 06:06 PM
I like some of these. I might get some. And theyre cheap as hell too. Ive never been a fan of buying expensive sneakers. Never made sense to me. Girls arent gonna drop their panties because you got the new Jordans.

It's nice to have good sneakers when you're playing basketball though.

bigbluedefense
04-05-2007, 06:07 PM
It's nice to have good sneakers when you're playing basketball though.

You can get good bball sneakers for 40 bucks. Maybe even 30.

Moses
04-05-2007, 06:08 PM
You can get good bball sneakers for 40 bucks. Maybe even 30.

Fill me in on what type. The LeBron 20-5-5's I have right now are easily better than any other shoe I've had. I've tried a bunch of cheaper ones but they just don't compare.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-05-2007, 06:10 PM
Fill me in on what type. The LeBron 20-5-5's I have right now are easily better than any other shoe I've had. I've tried a bunch of cheaper ones but they just don't compare.

Player makes the sneaker not vice versa. I made my basketball JV team my freshman year wearing Converse Chucks cause my mom was at work and I couldn't get my bball shoes, I made that team blistered feet and all.

Moses
04-05-2007, 06:11 PM
Player makes the sneaker not vice versa. I made my basketball JV team my freshman year wearing Converse Chucks cause my mom was at work and I couldn't get my bball shoes, I made that team blistered feet and all.

Obviously but I can honestly say I improved as a player after upgrading my shoes.

BigDawg819
04-05-2007, 06:11 PM

I have a pair of Converse basketball shoes I may have spent $35 on and they have served me quite well. In fact I bought that at Kohl's.

Smokey Joe
04-05-2007, 06:12 PM
I might get me a pair of the Ben Wallace ones... anyone know where I can see them?

Also, is this just a limited time thing or something?

bigbluedefense
04-05-2007, 06:17 PM

I never wore a pair of sneakers that put up numbers for me. Is it really that big of a difference? I highly doubt it.

I usually just get last year's clearance bball sneakers and Im fine. You can get a quality pair of sneakers that were retail 70 bucks etc on sale for 40. They just happen to be last year's models, so the price goes down.

And I could personally care less if theyre 1 year "outdated". I highly doubt theres so much more sneaker technology in the Lebrons comared to other sneakers.

If that were the case, every NBA player would wear Lebrons.

Obviously but I can honestly say I improved as a player after upgrading my shoes.

Thats more mental than physical. Like everytime someone buys a new pair of Jordans, they feel like they can touch the sky. Its all in your head.

Moses
04-05-2007, 06:20 PM
I never wore a pair of sneakers that put up numbers for me. Is it really that big of a difference? I highly doubt it.

I usually just get last year's clearance bball sneakers and Im fine. You can get a quality pair of sneakers that were retail 70 bucks etc on sale for 40. They just happen to be last year's models, so the price goes down.

And I could personally care less if theyre 1 year "outdated". I highly doubt theres so much more sneaker technology in the Lebrons comared to other sneakers.

If that were the case, every NBA player would wear Lebrons.

Thats more mental than physical. Like everytime someone buys a new pair of Jordans, they feel like they can touch the sky. Its all in your head.

I'm not saying that LeBron shoes are better than all the rest. I'm saying generally the more expensive shoes perform better. That has been my experience at least. It's easier to cut, run faster, jump higher, etc. in a quality pair of shoes.

BigDawg819
04-05-2007, 06:24 PM
I'm not saying that LeBron shoes are better than all the rest. I'm saying generally the more expensive shoes perform better. That has been my experience at least. It's easier to cut, run faster, jump higher, etc. in a quality pair of shoes.

Why does your argument for expensive basketball shoes sound eerily similar to the old Nike commercials with Spike Lee and Michael Jordan with the tag line. "Its gotta be the shoes!"?

Moses
04-05-2007, 06:26 PM
Why does your argument for expensive basketball shoes sound eerily similar to the old Nike commercials with Spike Lee and Michael Jordan with the tag line. "Its gotta be the shoes!"?

You guys are misunderstanding. I'm not saying you're going to all of a sudden become an amazing basketball player because you're wearing Jordans. I'm saying that it's a lot easier to play basketball in a good quality pair of shoes and they definitely help my games because I'm more explosive.

BigDawg819
04-05-2007, 06:28 PM
You guys are misunderstanding. I'm not saying you're going to all of a sudden become an amazing basketball player because you're wearing Jordans. I'm saying that it's a lot easier to play basketball in a good quality pair of shoes and they definitely help my games because I'm more explosive.

No you're misunderstanding, you are more explosive due to continued practice and a better understanding of the game. Its not the shoes, its the preparation you put into your game that has allowed you to become better.

bigbluedefense
04-05-2007, 06:28 PM
I understand what Moses is saying. Makes sense.

But I don't view $ as a direct correlation to quality of the sneaker. If you shop around, you'll find a good pair of bball sneakers for cheap.

Moses
04-05-2007, 06:29 PM
I understand what Moses is saying. Makes sense.

But I don't view $ as a direct correlation to quality of the sneaker. If you shop around, you'll find a good pair of bball sneakers for cheap.

I guess I'm just looking at the wrong places. I mostly shop at Foot Locker for basketball shoes but maybe I'll start looking elsewhere.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-05-2007, 06:30 PM
I guess I'm just looking at the wrong places. I mostly shop at Foot Locker for basketball shoes but maybe I'll start looking elsewhere.

Go to finish line.

Moses
04-05-2007, 06:31 PM
Go to finish line.

Never heard of it. Must be an American thing.

ricky bobby
04-05-2007, 06:32 PM
Lebron has alot of growing up to do. Marbury is doing a great thing but I feel that Steve and Barrys isnt a big enough chain yet,but I dont know how well it fares outside of the east coast

Steve and Barry's is like an outlet store. They have really cheap and mostly crappy merchandise. The only good thing they carry is T-shirts with funny pictures and slogans on them. I bought a hoodie there one time for like ten bucks. It was nice hoodie, but after about five trips through the wash it shrunk big time. Now the metal zipper sticks out so badly, that if I wear it, it looks like i'm pregnant.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-05-2007, 07:11 PM
Steve and Barry's is like an outlet store. They have really cheap and mostly crappy merchandise. The only good thing they carry is T-shirts with funny pictures and slogans on them. I bought a hoodie there one time for like ten bucks. It was nice hoodie, but after about five trips through the wash it shrunk big time. Now the metal zipper sticks out so badly, that if I wear it, it looks like i'm pregnant.

How dare you diss Steve and Barry's I should negative rep you but I won't. They have changed a bit but they were a 7 dollar store everything, they have about every single college shirt that exists for 7 dollars. They had heavy duty college sweatshirts, and leather jackets for $7 dollars!!! Now they are about double the price but still they carry 80+ team jackets, sweaters and stuff for only $14.

Man_Of_Steel
04-05-2007, 07:24 PM
Marbury himself twisted his ankle in the first minute of a game while wearing the 15.00 starburys.

About a half year ago i went there to get some school hoodies and saw the shoes, i bought them just to kick around in and they are not even comparable to $100, not even close.

Man_Of_Steel
04-05-2007, 07:26 PM
By the way before i get ripped S&B is one of my favorite stores.

fenikz
04-05-2007, 07:28 PM
Marbury himself twisted his ankle in the first minute of a game while wearing the 15.00 starburys.

About a half year ago i went there to get some school hoodies and saw the shoes, i bought them just to kick around in and they are not even comparable to $100, not even close.

so you wouldn't reccomend me buying them just to play basketball in

Man_Of_Steel
04-05-2007, 07:34 PM
so you wouldn't reccomend me buying them just to play basketball in

For basketball no.

For just kicking around in or whatever yes, they make more than just basketball.

moc182
04-05-2007, 10:05 PM
I've got a pair for when i play bball. Steve and Barrys is the best store, everything is so cheap.