PDA

View Full Version : Taking a Guard Day 1

steelernation77
04-06-2007, 11:52 AM
With Faneca most likely gone after this season, how many of you feel that we should take a guard in the 2nd or 3rd? Is Kemo or Colon the answer?

terribletowel39
04-06-2007, 01:18 PM
depending on what is off the board i like martinez in the 3rd or 4th. i think him and Kemo will push for strongest pair of G in the NFL and won't get pushed around by all the superman like NT (SD Williams) in these 3-4's that seem to be popping up everywhere. (trying to be like us)

DeathbyStat
04-06-2007, 01:18 PM
I think round 2....Ben Grubbs, Justin Blaylock, or Aaron Sears

Man_Of_Steel
04-06-2007, 01:47 PM
depending on what is off the board i like martinez in the 3rd or 4th. i think him and Kemo will push for strongest pair of G in the NFL and won't get pushed around by all the superman like NT (SD Williams) in these 3-4's that seem to be popping up everywhere. (trying to be like us)

I think you mean Manuel Ramirez. Its foolish to believe that him and Kemo will tandem for the best pair in the NFL.

Man_Of_Steel
04-06-2007, 01:48 PM
I think round 2....Ben Grubbs, Justin Blaylock, or Aaron Sears

Ben Grubbs is a beast. If he is there in round 2 that would be incrediable.

terribletowel39
04-06-2007, 02:21 PM
I think you mean Manuel Ramirez. Its foolish to believe that him and Kemo will tandem for the best pair in the NFL.

yea brain fart there, thats who i meant and i didn't say best. i said strongest and that jamal williams and Ngata will not be able to throw those two around like they did with Simmons this past yr.

mikehop05
04-06-2007, 02:24 PM
kemo was given a few chacnes to succeed when simmons couldnt play, but he never really stood out for us, i think colon has a better chance

i think we may take a late round guy this year, and then possibly take a first or second rounder next year if none of those work out for us

terribletowel39
04-06-2007, 02:31 PM
kemo was given a few chacnes to succeed when simmons couldnt play, but he never really stood out for us, i think colon has a better chance

i think we may take a late round guy this year, and then possibly take a first or second rounder next year if none of those work out for us

are you for real?? i thought kemo did much better than i expected from him everytime he got to step in. he played a lot better than Simmons. but granted i don't really watch the G all that much when i do watch football, but i don't really remember hearing his name called, which is what you want from an O-Line.

mikehop05
04-06-2007, 02:40 PM
i always thought he did decent, but they always put simmons back in, and we signed mahan, so my thinking is they arn't they high on him

terribletowel39
04-06-2007, 02:42 PM
i can't explain the mahan signing, but i think we can all agree that simmons kept going back in because cowher didn't like to admit his incorrect decisions on who was more suited to be the starter. i love/d cowher but that was one of his flaws. he didn't put the best players out on the field, he put his favorites out there.

mikehop05
04-06-2007, 02:53 PM
true cowher did usually play his boys...

itll be interesting to see what they do this year

i still say they dont get a guy in the first or second this year, unless we somehow end up with more than 1 second

although, next year i think starks, faneca, and smith's contracts are all up...
either we need to get repalcements this year or next, or we have to resign them, though i doubt we have that kinda $

terribletowel39
04-06-2007, 02:56 PM
true cowher did usually play his boys...

itll be interesting to see what they do this year

i still say they dont get a guy in the first or second this year, unless we somehow end up with more than 1 second

although, next year i think starks, faneca, and smith's contracts are all up...
either we need to get repalcements this year or next, or we have to resign them, though i doubt we have that kinda $

yes especially with troy p's contract up as well and haggans, aren't they looking to get ben a new contract?? i think they will keep starks and thats it. smith and faneca are too old and faneca will ask for far too much money.

mikehop05
04-06-2007, 03:03 PM
yeah, who knows... i wanna see how they play this year though under a new coach and with ben calling out the protections

terribletowel39
04-06-2007, 03:09 PM
yeah, who knows... i wanna see how they play this year though under a new coach and with ben calling out the protections

most def. that excites me. now he will know where it is or isn't coming from.

PittPete
04-07-2007, 10:23 AM
Kemo made quite a few mistakes last year; as all unexperienced O-linemen do; but never got pushed around by anyone like simmons did. Colon looked like their best lineman they drafted in quite some time. I would still like some more muscle there; blaylock or ramirez would be nice. what I like about Blaylock is how he pulls well for a big man and takes out linebackers. I watched a lot of Eagles games where Sean Andrews mastered that play; pulling outside and destroying whatever is in his path for the back to have a HUUUUGE hole. Imagine Wille Parker actually having holes to run through.

Hines
04-07-2007, 11:35 AM
i want grubbs
or sears

PittPete
04-09-2007, 09:53 AM
Sears is an ineffective tackle who is projected as a passable guard; I am not sold on him. Blalock, Ramirez and Grubbs would add some testosterone to our line for sure.

terribletowel39
04-09-2007, 09:58 AM
i agree with Pete, if we take a G i would want it to be one of those three, but the most i would want Ramirez, because when have we hade trouble making good O-lineman out of 3rd and beyond rounders and i think that is where Ramirez is projected. and another reason is Simmons was taken in the first, so that doesn't always pan out. not a fan of taking any lineman in this draft, but Ramirez would be my choice, if we did.

mikehop05
04-09-2007, 10:29 AM
i dont know if rameriz will be good for our new offensive schemes in spreading out our offense some... it just doesnt seem like he works will in space, but i wont disagree that hes a mauler and will / has/ can/ kill somebody

steelernation77
04-09-2007, 07:28 PM
i dont know if rameriz will be good for our new offensive schemes in spreading out our offense some... it just doesnt seem like he works will in space, but i wont disagree that hes a mauler and will / has/ can/ kill somebody

Well he did alright in a spread offense at Texas Tech...

mikehop05
04-09-2007, 09:13 PM
Well he did alright in a spread offense at Texas Tech...

different spread, they spread and pass and run draws, sweeps, etc. outa the gun...

our spread will be 3, 4 receivers and our qb under center, with us running traps, draws, powers, dives, etc where our guards will have to move a lot more

PittPete
04-10-2007, 10:17 AM
Now you're scaring me!! The old "chuck and duck" offense as buddy Ryan called it!

terribletowel39
04-10-2007, 10:27 AM
i think we will be running a offense very comparable to that of Indy's. except hopefully more running. even though i actually think last yr indy ran more than it threw. i could be wrong. either way, it should be exciting.

mikehop05
04-10-2007, 11:53 AM
i think we will be running a offense very comparable to that of Indy's. except hopefully more running. even though i actually think last yr indy ran more than it threw. i could be wrong. either way, it should be exciting.

yeah the only thing that will change will be what formations we run out of

i dont see our philosophy of run to set up the pass (play action or not) changing

Mr. Stiller
04-11-2007, 08:26 AM
Here's my gaurd look-ahead:

As a Whole we have 3 Guards in contract years... We have 2 that aren't. Neither have played Guard for us.

Faneca: Wants big money and a 3rd contract. Has probably 3-5 probowl years left. Even though he's a monster guard, Pass pro is really not his forte and he's more of a road grader for running. I think Bringing in Grubbs is not only a great decision, but the best. Fanecas looking for the big money and we really don't have it. I'm on the fence. I wouldn't trade him as he's been a steeler faithful and I'll take the 3rd round comp pick. I think Grubbs can fill his role perfectly. He's a tactician, not to mention he was athletic enough to be a blocking TE at 280 lbs, then moved and became the best Guard. Where Do I sign up.

Simmons: He's not cut out for RG. The way I see it. There's 3 guys in the running for RG and Simmons isn't one. Mahan, Kemo, and Colon are the likely guys. Simmons on a contract year, however from what I'm reading he's in the best shape this preseason since his 2nd season. Though, I'm thinking too little too late. He's diabetic and though I feel bad, he can't offer reliability or such for a decent price, he's going to want to be a starter... he couldn't do it at T, G and I don't think he'll offer it at Center either.

Kemoeatu: He's on a contract year as well. His issue was not so much not being a Cowher boy, but the fact he never grasped the playbook. He was told his assignment in most of the huddles. Arians new system could be the breaking out of Kemo, but he might need some one-on-one coaching with Zierlein to get it. If so, he'll be a monster, not fast, but no one will be coming through the RG spot. If not, he may just have been a serviceable 3 year backup.

Colon: Showed very solid pass protection, as he stonewalled Adalius Thomas, Terrell Suggs, and some Trevor Pryce. He's still a bit undersized, but I love this kids ferocity and would like to see him get the RG job. Thats hoping that Starks shows improvement at RT, and they don't have to keep him on the bench to make sure they have a backup at RT (Still think Capizzi is it).

Mahan: No one knows what he brings, but I have a feeling he'll be our starting center. I don't think Simmons will get the hang of it, and they want to have someone develop a rythym with Ben, and unfortunately for Simmons, that means Bench.

Grubbs: Grubbs is your model Guard. He's great at both Pass pro and run blocking. Adding him now lets us get hit with Faneca and possibly simmons or Kemo and really not be too hurt. He could be a backup, but could also command RG as a Rookie.