PDA

View Full Version : College basketball offseason talk

Jay
04-06-2007, 06:39 PM
Now Bob Huggins is off to West Virginia:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2828517

He had some solid recruits going to Kansas St. so I wonder how this will play out...
___

Billy Gillispie left Texas A&M for Kentucky:

http://x.go.com/cgi/x.pl?goto=http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2828248&name=FPT-2828248-040619&srvc=sz

____

Nick Fazekas has withdrawn from Nevada to enter the NBA draft:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2007/news/story?id=2828058

____

As did the big four from Florida, Joakim Noah, Al Horford, Corey Brewer and Taurean Green:

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=2827299&name=ford_chad

DLS42
04-06-2007, 06:41 PM
Why would Huggins leave Bill Walker and Mike Beasley for West Va!?!?!!?

etk
04-06-2007, 06:43 PM
Hasheem Thabeet declared for the draft already, but he really needs more time to develop under Calhoun. He will take at least 4 years to develop any offensive game. He's making a big mistake.

http://nbadraft.net/draftbuzz068.asp

Jay
04-06-2007, 06:45 PM
Bob Huggins is an alum of West Virginia and played college ball there... it's pretty much his dream job...

frogstomp
04-06-2007, 06:51 PM
As did the big four from Florida, Joakim Noah, Al Horford, Corey Brewer and Taurean Green:

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=2827299&name=ford_chad

Brewer is by far the best, and then Horford is the only other one I would want on my time. Noah and Green... not so much.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-06-2007, 06:51 PM
Why should this be separate from the college basketball thread?

Jay
04-06-2007, 06:57 PM
I guess it probably shouldn't be...

jagsfreak27
04-06-2007, 07:34 PM
My Top 10 in 2007/2008
1. Kansas- If Brandon Rush returns things could get scary.
2. Mamphis- Easy run through C-USA.
3. UCLA- Kevin Lowe coming in finally somebody in the post.
4. Louisville- Rick Petino hould have another final four team.
5. North Carolina- Minus Brandon Wright (90% sure) not as good
6. Ohio State- Incomer Kosta Koufus should make up for the propoble loss of Greg Oden.
7. Southern California- O.J MAYO TAJ GIBSON
8. Washington State- A year older my dark horse for the NCAA Tourney
9. Villanova- Scottie Reynolds = freshman Corey Stokes= Insane Backcourt
10. Duke- No more McRoberts and a strong recuiting class and Dick Vitale

Vikes99ej
04-06-2007, 08:31 PM
My Top 10 in 2007/2008
1. Kansas- If Brandon Rush returns things could get scary.
2. Mamphis- Easy run through C-USA.
3. UCLA- Kevin Lowe coming in finally somebody in the post.
4. Louisville- Rick Petino hould have another final four team.
5. North Carolina- Minus Brandon Wright (90% sure) not as good
6. Ohio State- Incomer Kosta Koufus should make up for the propoble loss of Greg Oden.
7. Southern California- O.J MAYO TAJ GIBSON
8. Washington State- A year older my dark horse for the NCAA Tourney
9. Villanova- Scottie Reynolds = freshman Corey Stokes= Insane Backcourt
10. Duke- No more McRoberts and a strong recuiting class and Dick Vitale

Some of the best analysis I've ever seen in my life.

BuckNaked
04-07-2007, 12:03 AM

Agreed, you should be getting paid for this. This is some of the best work i've seen in my life.

KCJ58
04-07-2007, 12:06 AM
Lock this. This should be in the College Basketball thread

elway777
04-07-2007, 12:09 AM
Big season expected for SC next year. I hope Mayo can contribute like Durant and Ogden this year for their teams, and push SC basketball to the top of the Pac-10.

WildDude
04-07-2007, 12:15 AM
well the college basketball thread was getting a tad too long so maybe it was good to seperate this and put offseason in front of it...

i like the huggins signing yet KSt is showing no class not releasing the players from intent they didnt recruit them the coach did which should giv them a chance to leave if they want otherwise they wont be happy there... look at oklahoma last year

does anyone know about patrick patterson and jai lucas where theyre leaning?

and btw im not sure about ohio state being in the top 10 because theyre losing ivan harris, ron lewis, greg oden and possibly mike conely who was the heart and soul of that team

if Jarvis Crittenton and Thaddeus Young decide to come back GT should definately be in the top 10

Shiver
04-07-2007, 01:23 AM
As a Missouri fan, I am ecstatic that Bob Huggins bolted. Many Tigers' fans wanted him to be the coach, and were mad when he went to K-State of all places. Had he stayed, that team would've been ridiculous. Now I just hope K-State lets all those top notch recruits leave, Michael Beasely for one.

thetedginnshow
04-07-2007, 01:48 AM
If Hawes and whomever else ponders leaving for the draft come back, UW will get deep and be pretty nasty. Especially if we get Isaiah Thomas.

princefielder28
04-07-2007, 08:23 AM
Lock this. This should be in the College Basketball thread

Yes it should be

jagsfreak27
04-07-2007, 11:53 AM
It just my opinions you dont have to get all scarastic on me.

sweetness34
04-07-2007, 11:59 AM
It just my opinions you dont have to get all scarastic on me.

Duke in the top 10 is a joke.

jagsfreak27
04-07-2007, 12:01 PM
Duke in the top 10 is a joke. That may just be the homer in me but other then that its not that bad.

thetedginnshow
04-07-2007, 12:03 PM
According to hoopshype, Durant will declare sometime this week.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
04-07-2007, 12:05 PM
I wish some team, any team, in need of a new head coach would "steal" John Brady from LSU.

cardsalltheway
04-07-2007, 12:46 PM
Duke in the top 10 is a joke.

I agree, replace em with the Hoosiers.

PalmerToCJ
04-07-2007, 02:23 PM
does anyone know about patrick patterson and jai lucas where theyre leaning?

Well, today Kentucky recruit AJ Stewart (who is close with Paterson/Lucas) said "so me and jai r goin to uk so all we need is our big fella to ride with us so we can go ahead and win this ncaa championship". So according to him Jai is coming to UK, Jai has always seemed to have a Kentucky lean so that really wouldn't surprise me. Patterson I'm not sure about, he cut his list to UK-Duke-Florida.

Our new coach Gillispie (who our fan base is already in love with) is going on a 10 day recruiting spree. He's contacted Jai apparently (tried to recruit him at TAMU) and today after the Naismith presentation with Acie Law he's flying to Huntington to visit with Patrick Patterson. Gillispie has energized our entire fan base, 7 months and 2 days till game 1 at Rupp.

thetedginnshow
04-07-2007, 03:27 PM
Huh. I guess Beasley could be leaving. Hearing him talk it seems like he doesn't really want to go to KSU now. Who knows though. I do know that the US is whooping on The World in this HS game.

jagsfreak27
04-07-2007, 03:28 PM
Well, today Kentucky recruit AJ Stewart (who is close with Paterson/Lucas) said "so me and jai r goin to uk so all we need is our big fella to ride with us so we can go ahead and win this ncaa championship". So according to him Jai is coming to UK, Jai has always seemed to have a Kentucky lean so that really wouldn't surprise me. Patterson I'm not sure about, he cut his list to UK-Duke-Florida.

Our new coach Gillispie (who our fan base is already in love with) is going on a 10 day recruiting spree. He's contacted Jai apparently (tried to recruit him at TAMU) and today after the Naismith presentation with Acie Law he's flying to Huntington to visit with Patrick Patterson. Gillispie has energized our entire fan base, 7 months and 2 days till game 1 at Rupp. Hopefully he turns to the dark side

Jay
04-07-2007, 03:30 PM
Is Beasely the kid from Massachusetts?

CherryGarcia510
04-07-2007, 04:31 PM
Is Beasely the kid from Massachusetts?

yea, Notre Dame Prep

PalmerToCJ
04-07-2007, 05:52 PM
One of the blogs I visit said Beasley is staying at K-State (the guy knows him).

Doesn't shock me given the fact that he has all but said he's just using the one year to get in the draft.

Jay
04-07-2007, 05:59 PM
His Mom was in the paper talking about how he was really excited to be going to play for coach Huggins, etc, etc. It sounded like HE was the reason he was going there. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to WVU with him.

It's too bad that we can't keep the one or two halfway decent guys we have in state when we have them. It's not often that Massachusetts has really big time prospects...

Jay
04-07-2007, 06:07 PM
Actually, that didn't take long, he said he's still going to K-State:

http://x.go.com/cgi/x.pl?goto=http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/news/story?id=2829319&name=FPT-2829319-040719&srvc=sz

PalmerToCJ
04-07-2007, 07:18 PM
I absolutely love having Billy Gillispie as our new head coach... The guy's a machine.

He has already had a long conversation with Jai Lucas and one of our recruits has implied he will commit here, he's also going to go to Huntington WV to see Patrick Patterson... THEN he's going to see #6 overall Center Anthony McClain in Maryland lol.

Komp
04-07-2007, 07:45 PM
Yah I think Kentucky made a good decision in Gillispie. I'd rather bring in an up and coming coach with a new system than an already established coach [Donovan]. I like the Kentucky program and I miss seeing them contending for the title so hopefully this is a step in the right direction. It has been a while since UK got any MAJOR commits/talent as well. They are due for some big time players to make their way to Lexington.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
04-07-2007, 09:05 PM
Yah I think Kentucky made a good decision in Gillispie. I'd rather bring in an up and coming coach with a new system than an already established coach [Donovan]. I like the Kentucky program and I miss seeing them contending for the title so hopefully this is a step in the right direction. It has been a while since UK got any MAJOR commits/talent as well. They are due for some big time players to make their way to Lexington.

Perry Stevenson is going to be a big time player. I've seen that kid play many times live (I actually played against him like 4 times, although that was way back in 7th and 8th grade...) He's a shot blocking machine. If he can add some more bulk, he's going to be very, very good.

BuckNaked
04-08-2007, 12:14 AM
Perry Stevenson is going to be a big time player. I've seen that kid play many times live (I actually played against him like 4 times, although that was way back in 7th and 8th grade...) He's a shot blocking machine. If he can add some more bulk, he's going to be very, very good.

Stevenson really didn't show any offensive game at all last year and is a terrible ball handler.

bored of education
04-08-2007, 12:16 AM
I loved his press conference. I think he was big hit with the media. Guy has a sense of humor, seems like a blue collar hard working type, all around good guy.

WildDude
04-08-2007, 02:55 PM
billy gillipese has the potential to put together a great recruitng class maybe among the top 5 if theyre able to get deandre jordan in the mix too...

heres what i dont understand, i remember dan werner signed a LOI with NCst. but he was granted a conditional release and went to UF... what happened? why cant beasley do it?

PalmerToCJ
04-08-2007, 05:37 PM
DeAndre Jordan has said he will honor his LOI and Gillispie I think didn't want to take him for the fact of leaving TAMU with little.

Any school can allow a player out of the LOI if they want to, usually in the event of a coaching change they'll at least make them wait until the new coach arrives. K-state has said they won't allow their players out of the LOI though and this generally isn't a good idea as it will hurt that university in the future for recruiting reputation.

jayceheathman
04-08-2007, 06:37 PM
New Mexico State's 5 star recruit, Herb Pope, got shot 4 times last weekend during a party. I'm glad it was nothing serious.

WildDude
04-08-2007, 07:07 PM
and reggie theus actually went all the way over to visit him in the hospital i can see why hes so appealing to recruits... hes a great players coach, does anyone have any idea why did steve alford leave for new mexico? he wasnt even fired from iowa yet

BuckNaked
09-07-2007, 05:24 PM
Well, exciting Kentucky news today. SF Darius Miller just signed on. He is ranked #35 in the 2008 class on scout.com. This was a big recruit for us considering he was in-state. Lousiville and Illinois were the other two teams that had a good chance at him.

derza222
09-11-2007, 03:41 PM
I was looking for the college basketball thread but I'll just use this, is there a specific day that players (at this point class of '08 guys) need to declare what school they plan on attending by? At this point most guys are declared but a few are undeclared, so I was wondering when pretty much everyone would be declared by...

BuckNaked
10-14-2007, 03:37 PM
I'm sure most of you guys know this by now, but Georgetown locked up Greg Monroe who is the #1 recruit for 2008. Huge pickup for the Hoyas.

SuperKevin
10-14-2007, 03:44 PM
So mad I'm going to miss the college basketball season this year

sweetness34
10-14-2007, 04:36 PM
Sanctions busted again for cheating...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3063434

What a slimeball...I think he'll get canned personally.

Turtlepower
10-14-2007, 04:38 PM

Indiana must have known that the NCAA was investigating because there is no other way they would have punished Sampson.

sweetness34
10-14-2007, 04:38 PM
Well, exciting Kentucky news today. SF Darius Miller just signed on. He is ranked #35 in the 2008 class on scout.com. This was a big recruit for us considering he was in-state. Lousiville and Illinois were the other two teams that had a good chance at him.

Um Illinois was leading for him right up until Tracy Webster jumped ship to UK. Darius was going wherever Tracy was at, plain and simple.

On a happier note for the Illini, we just locked up 3 huge prospects for 2009. DJ Richardson, Brandon Paul, and Joseph Bertrand. Bert and DJ are top 70 recruits (should be higher IMO) and Paul is going to be a stud in a year or so, his game is really coming around.

BuckNaked
10-14-2007, 05:07 PM
Um Illinois was leading for him right up until Tracy Webster jumped ship to UK. Darius was going wherever Tracy was at, plain and simple.

On a happier note for the Illini, we just locked up 3 huge prospects for 2009. DJ Richardson, Brandon Paul, and Joseph Bertrand. Bert and DJ are top 70 recruits (should be higher IMO) and Paul is going to be a stud in a year or so, his game is really coming around.

Yeah, I know. Right when he came to UK, Miller jumped on board as well. We had an electric weekend with Big Blue Madness and the LSU game. There were a lot of recruits at each, so that may have helped.

B-Dawk
10-14-2007, 05:16 PM
I'm sure most of you guys know this by now, but Georgetown locked up Greg Monroe who is the #1 recruit for 2008. Huge pickup for the Hoyas.

well that sucks. I didnt think we had a great chance with him, I was just hoping he would go out of conference.

BuckNaked
10-14-2007, 05:32 PM
well that sucks. I didnt think we had a great chance with him, I was just hoping he would go out of conference.

It was basically between Georgetown, Duke and LSU at the end with him. I'd much rather have him be a Hoya then go to either of the two other schools.

SuperKevin
10-14-2007, 05:35 PM
I currently have Georgetown as one of my favorites to win the national Championship. That team is so talented, even without jeff Green

Vikes99ej
10-14-2007, 05:43 PM
Did Roy Hibbert get drafted, or is he still on the Hoyas?

Turtlepower
10-14-2007, 05:46 PM
Did Roy Hibbert get drafted, or is he still on the Hoyas?

He withdrew his name and is returning.

BuckNaked
10-14-2007, 07:44 PM
I currently have Georgetown as one of my favorites to win the national Championship. That team is so talented, even without jeff Green

Yep, they still have Hibbert alonjg with Dajuan Summers and Wallace. They are a pretty formidable team. I'm really liking Memphis and NC as well though.

cardsalltheway
10-14-2007, 08:17 PM

**** fuckfuckfuck

sweetness34
10-16-2007, 06:45 PM
Illinois picked up it's 4th commitment in 5 days. Stan Simpson F/C from Chicago Simeon High School (Derrick Rose's Alma Matter). Huge upside, athletic, long, and strong. Only been playing for 3 years but has gotten better every season.

Things are looking up in Champaign. Just nailed probably a top 10 2009 class, just got a very talented big for 2008, we have Jereme Richmond aka The Prodigy for 2010 (ranked #4 in the nation right now) and we're likely going to wrap up Luther Head's little brother Crandall (crazy athletic with huge upside) and Anthony Johnson (#18 ranked for 2010).

SuperKevin
10-23-2007, 03:18 AM
nbadraft.net claims the Pac 10 is the deepest and most dangerous conference in America with Oregon State being the only pushover in the conference. Granted they probably prepared this article before the suspension of Brook Lopez.

RyanLeaf#1
10-23-2007, 08:56 AM
Greg Monroe, a 6-foot-10 center at Harvey (La.) Cox, and the top-ranked player in the class of 2008, chose Georgetown over Duke. On Thursday, Iman Shumpert, a 6-4 shooting guard in Oak Park, Ill., chose Georgia Tech over Marquette and UNC. UNC is awaiting the decision of 6-11 Tyler Zeller of Washington, Ind., and Duke is still recruiting 6-4 Elliott Williams of Collierville (Tenn.) St. George. Beyond that, Duke and Carolina don't seem to have a lot of targets left. These kids are probably going to school for 1 season and leaving thats why they arent picking Duke or UNC.

yodabear
10-23-2007, 09:25 AM
2007-08 Horizon League Champions: the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee Panthers, I guarantee it.

yo123
10-23-2007, 03:53 PM
2007-08 Horizon League Champions: the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee Panthers, I guarantee it.

Then lose in the 2nd round of the NCAA tourney to #1 seed Minnesota.

NYGibril28
10-23-2007, 05:54 PM
Look out for UConn this year. After a down-year, they return every scholarhsip player. The talent is definitely there, they just need to put it all together as a team. Hasheem Thabeet is the next Hibbert. He's got the same work-ethic. Jerome Dyson is a huge scoring threat, and Stanley Robinson is an athletic freak. Craig Austrie is the better PG in my opinion but Calhoun seems intent on playing A.J. Price. How far this team goes this year falls on the shoulders of Price and Austrie.

yo123
10-26-2007, 05:58 PM
http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/ncb/rankingsindex

Preseason rankings are out. Thoughts? Other than "Preseason rankings suck."

holtfan92
10-26-2007, 06:01 PM
Good to see my spartans in the top 10. Expecting a pretty good season this year. I predict a sweet 16 apperance, just gotta step it up in the tourny.

scottyboy
10-26-2007, 06:01 PM
RU's women>>>>>>>> your womens team. That'd be cool, if womens sports were actually considered a real sport... :(

derza222
10-26-2007, 08:33 PM
'Nova in the top 25, just barely tho...I just got caught an intersquad scrimmage and Corey Fisher looked quite impressive. He may surprise some this year.

soybean
10-26-2007, 08:42 PM
6 pac-10 teams in the top 25 that's unreal.

EDIT: washington is no slouch either. The only walk overs in the conference are oregon state, arizona state, and cal.

Turtlepower
10-26-2007, 09:19 PM
6 pac-10 teams in the top 25 that's unreal.

EDIT: washington is no slouch either. The only walk overs in the conference are oregon state, arizona state, and cal.

I guarantee Arizona State finishing in the top 6.