PDA

View Full Version : Kowalski's take on McCown

Xiomera
04-07-2007, 09:18 AM
http://blog.mlive.com/lionsinsider/2007/04/mccown_trade_puzzling_but_its.html

McCown trade: Puzzling, but it's still possible

Posted by Tom Kowalski (http://blog.mlive.com/lionsinsider/about.html) April 07, 2007 08:38AM

The rumors and reports of trade talks between the Lions and Raiders concerning quarterback Josh McCown just won't die. And, while I continue to maintain that it doesn't make sense, you only have to remember the events from last year's preseason to believe it could be true.
To me, trading McCown is a mistake. I understand that he'll become an unrestricted free agent next season and the Lions might want to get something for him before they lose him. But for a team that hasn't won more than six games in six years, they should have their focus on the 2007 season and do everything possible to get as many wins as possible. The Lions have spent too much time worrying about the future while they keep screwing up the present.
Yes, Jon Kitna took every snap at quarterback last year, but it was the first time in the Lions' long and glorious history that that's ever happened. The chances are that Kitna is going to miss some time during the course of this season and it would seem their chances of success would rest with an experienced quarterback like McCown who has spent time in Mike Martz's system.
Then again, going back to last preseason, the Lions did everything they could to give the No. 2 job to Dan Orlovsky. After a solid outing in the final preseason game, though, McCown won the backup job, but that doesn't change the fact the coaching staff -- and Martz in particular -- believed Orlovsky could run the offense effectively.
If Martz still believes that, it would open the door for McCown to leave. I think it's risky to put the ballclub in the hands of an unproven player, but I'm sure Martz is thinking that he heard the same thing before guys like Kurt Warner and Marc Bulger took over.
Now, if you want to delve into some conspiracy theories, could it be that the Lions really want to draft JaMarcus Russell and, by trading McCown to the Raiders, they greatly increase their odds of that happening? Or, is it possible that the Lions will dangle McCown for as long as possible but never pull the trigger, putting more pressure on the Raiders to take Russell? If that happens, the Lions are believed to have a better chance of trading down.
Another possibility is that Lions president Matt Millen is trying to acquire as many draft picks as possible to use as ammunition to move back up into the first round and grab the player they really want -- Mississippi middle linebacker Patrick Willis.
As this draft draws closer, the intrigue continues to build.

Notredameleo
04-07-2007, 10:23 AM
We will not be able to trade back into the first round to get Willis, because hes going top 15.

TacticaLion
04-07-2007, 10:26 AM
Very interesting. I really don't think the whole "we shouldn't trade him because we might need him" argument is valid... he's spent the same amount of time in this system that Orlovsky has... and, as the article said, Martz has done it before (more with less).

If we've really got this man-crush on Russell, I'll cry. If anything, PLEASE take Stanton... or Edwards... and use the 1st round pick on an impact defensive player.

I guess it all depends what they'll give for him. A 2nd rounder? Don't look back. 3rd? Hmm... take it. 4th? Lets wait and see what happens.

TacticaLion
04-07-2007, 10:30 AM
We will not be able to trade back into the first round to get Willis, because hes going top 15.

Uh OH! Scott has Willis ranked at #9. Interesting.

You may be right. *sigh*...

detroit4life
04-07-2007, 12:51 PM
he may be the 9th ranked player but MLB is a position where teams have been able to fill after round 1 so he could fall out of the top 15. Im sure the front office has a better feeling for where he'll go if thats actually what they're doing

detroit4life
04-07-2007, 01:03 PM
this mcown thing would be interesting because if we give the raiders mccown and russell falls to us we will be able to trade with cleveland who rly wants russell. That puts us at #3 with an extra secind. From there we could move down again to either arizona for loe thomas or later for a team that wants quinn. But the raiders passing on russsell to take CJ would almost automatically give us a deal with cleveland and then have options to move down again and that is possibly why they could do this deal. If kitna goes down i think they could play Dan O either way since McCowns gone in a year anyway and they'd be able to see what thye have in Dan O. So why not do this deal it would help us in the draft and we get a pick for mccown

Pocket
04-07-2007, 03:51 PM
My thoughts.. (pending no trade down from number 2.)

If we trade McCown and get a 3rd rounder (a little unrealistic maybe), we will then have to take a QB at some point. (we are already targeting one) In order to trade back up, we'll need ammo. That ammo will have to be our second, third, the third we got for McCown, and probably some 5ths.....

So now, we need a QB somewhere in the draft, and we pick at 2 and..... idk..... wherever we trade to. Let's say 12 for this scenario. So we'd have to take Quinn at 2, and Willis at 12, if that is where we trade to....

So, we trade a ton of picks, we get Quinn and Willis, and don't pick again until round 4.

Mythos
04-07-2007, 03:51 PM
I think this means Cleveland, Tampa, and Arizona are all unwilling to pony up equal value and Millen is moving on. If we're resigned to picking at #2 regardless of who's available, then why not move McCown for more ammo. Al's 4th w/ our 2nd and 3rd would put at back at 17/18 in the first round. Al's 3rd would put us around 14. I could easily see the target being two impact players. DE has to be one. Linebacker is a lot easier to jump into year one than is safety.

detroit4life
04-07-2007, 06:22 PM
My thoughts.. (pending no trade down from number 2.)

If we trade McCown and get a 3rd rounder (a little unrealistic maybe), we will then have to take a QB at some point. (we are already targeting one) In order to trade back up, we'll need ammo. That ammo will have to be our second, third, the third we got for McCown, and probably some 5ths.....

So now, we need a QB somewhere in the draft, and we pick at 2 and..... idk..... wherever we trade to. Let's say 12 for this scenario. So we'd have to take Quinn at 2, and Willis at 12, if that is where we trade to....

So, we trade a ton of picks, we get Quinn and Willis, and don't pick again until round 4.

making this trade has nothing to do with quinn McCown has no future on this team he's gone after this year we could still take stanton in the second or third if we make this deal. i think we could make this deal get a 4th round pick. And add ammo to move back up plus if we do make this deal and russell falls to us cleveland will offer atleast their second to move up to #2 its known that they like russell a lot.

The fact is the lions with these trade rumors have another way to influence this draft a lot becasue they could do this deal and change the pick at #1

detroit4life
04-07-2007, 06:29 PM
also if we do move mccown we save a million in cap

Mythos
04-07-2007, 07:46 PM
making this trade has nothing to do with quinn McCown has no future on this team he's gone after this year we could still take stanton in the second or third if we make this deal. i think we could make this deal get a 4th round pick. And add ammo to move back up plus if we do make this deal and russell falls to us cleveland will offer atleast their second to move up to #2 its known that they like russell a lot.

The fact is the lions with these trade rumors have another way to influence this draft a lot becasue they could do this deal and change the pick at #1

I think Cleveland would be content w/ either of the QBs, AD, or Thomas. I don't see Savage & co. doing what Butch Davis did. Especially w/ Savage's record of finding talent w/ his later picks. I think the team most likely to move up for a QB is Minnesota. The problem is trades w/ division rivals aren't common.

Pocket
04-07-2007, 09:13 PM

The bold part:
That is a damn good point. I never thought of it like that. Now that you mention it, I would rather not trade with them, and let them get their own QB, so CJ is still on the board.

Anyway, if we get rid of McCown, we need a backup QB anyway. What happens if Kitna goes down? Dan O I guess....

Anyway, if we do get rid of McCown, I would kinda want Quinn.

McCown might have a future, pending Kitna's health. What if Kitna goes down in the preseason or something and McCown comes in and plays well, then Kitna hangs it up at the end of the year? McCown either leaves via free agency, or resigns....

I'd rather keep him around.

reinar
04-10-2007, 03:04 AM
so I guess im somewhat lost - if we trade McNown to Oakland, we would get what from them? 3rd to 5th rounder?
and MAYBE switch the #1 and #2 picks?

why would oakland do that deal? i see the 3rd to 5th rounder, maybe, maybe a 2nd round, but i doubt that as well.

i would love it if it happened, getting a 2nd rounder, for a guy who took no snaps for your team, and is gone next year, woudl be nice.