04-07-2007, 09:53 AM
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/507/story/77146.html

princefielder28
04-07-2007, 09:56 AM
Wonder which team will bit first???

PACKmanN
04-07-2007, 10:15 AM
Wonder which team will bit first???

i wish it was with the Pack so he can play with his bro but we have Pickett and Williams/Cole starting so there no room.

JPF
04-07-2007, 10:40 AM
Rumors are tying it to the Rams being interested, where Tony Softli (who was head of college scouting for us when we drafted Jenkins is now the Rams VP of Player Personnel) is.

Number 10
04-07-2007, 11:28 AM
I'd like to see the Giants put in a call. Few questions-

What is his contract status? Money? Years left?

What would you expect in return for him?

How much do you feel he has left in the tank? He would be used as a rotation player here in NY, do you feel he could thrive in that role?

JPF
04-07-2007, 12:28 PM
His base salaries for the remaining years left on his contract:

2007 3200000.00
2008 2955000.00
2009 3710000.00

I'm not sure what we'd expect in return honestly. I'd imagine it'd be draft picks (possibly a 2nd rounder and a mid to late day two pick). Anything more than that and I'd consider us having robbed the bank, but I'm apparently among the minority with my view on his value.

Not sure how much he has left in the tank. You're talking about a guy that played 5 games over two years in 04 and 05, has had issues keeping his weight down, and battled a drinking problem in 04.

His Pro Bowl selection this past season surprised most Panther fans because he really didn't do anything that spectacular. He showed flashes of why he was viewed as the best DT in the league a few years ago, but nothing to really deserve garnering that honor.

Honestly, playing in a rotation might be the best use of him.

Number 10
04-07-2007, 01:02 PM
His base salaries for the remaining years left on his contract:

2007 3200000.00
2008 2955000.00
2009 3710000.00

I'm not sure what we'd expect in return honestly. I'd imagine it'd be draft picks (possibly a 2nd rounder and a mid to late day two pick). Anything more than that and I'd consider us having robbed the bank, but I'm apparently among the minority with my view on his value.

Not sure how much he has left in the tank. You're talking about a guy that played 5 games over two years in 04 and 05, has had issues keeping his weight down, and battled a drinking problem in 04.

His Pro Bowl selection this past season surprised most Panther fans because he really didn't do anything that spectacular. He showed flashes of why he was viewed as the best DT in the league a few years ago, but nothing to really deserve garnering that honor.

Honestly, playing in a rotation might be the best use of him.

Hm. I wouldn't give a 2nd rounder for him and I likely would stay away from a 3rd as well. While I love his size/quickness ratio, there are too many red flags. I'd give a 4th rounder and conditional 2008 draft pick but nothing more.

JPF
04-07-2007, 01:14 PM
Honestly, I'd probably be happy if we could get a 4th rounder and a conditional pick in 08 that could escalate to as high as a 3rd rounder but more likely as high as a 4th rounder.

Most Panther fans are wanting multiple first day picks for him, but in doing so they are thinking he still has the value he had in 03 when he was viewed as the best DT in the league.

HawkeyeFan
04-07-2007, 02:01 PM
I wouldn't be suprised if the Rams traded for him, or made an offer of a 3rd Round pick this year and conditional next year or mabye a 3rd this year and Dominique Byrd.

I am hoping that the Rams acquire him.

He's the player the Rams absolutely need.!

JPF
04-07-2007, 02:14 PM
Mentioning Byrd won't get your call returned. Not with his off-field issue still pending trial and our stance on those.

Number 10
04-07-2007, 02:18 PM
Any players on the Giants that the Panthers may be interested in?

Not sure it is even a possibility because most of our attractive names will have to stay. The Strahan rumors could have some legs to it but I have personally stated that he should go nowhere and I don't think Reese would ever do something like that.

JPF
04-07-2007, 02:24 PM
Any player would probably have to be someone that could fill an immediate hole for us at LB, S, or TE and I don't think there's anyone on your roster that you'd be willing to part with that would fill one of those roles for us.

Though, you'd have more knowledge as to who the G-Men would be willing to part with.

NGSeiler
04-07-2007, 02:54 PM
Hm. I wouldn't give a 2nd rounder for him and I likely would stay away from a 3rd as well. While I love his size/quickness ratio, there are too many red flags. I'd give a 4th rounder and conditional 2008 draft pick but nothing more.

This is EXACTLY how I feel should the Rams want to trade him. A fourth round pick in 2007 and a conditional fourth rounder in 2008. The absolute most I would give is maybe a third and a player, but if you're getting a Day One pick for him, that's the only pick it's going to be.

As for the player, Dominique Byrd is a name floated around simply because he's expendable and the Panthers need tight end help. His off the field issues are concerning, but worst case scenario is you dump a guy you didn't spend anything to get. Even though the Rams just signed McMichael, I wouldn't think they'd be interested in moving 2006 second round pick Joe Klopfenstein.

JPF
04-07-2007, 03:36 PM
Doesn't matter really. His off-field issues not having gone to court yet would probably exclude him from being on a list of players we'd entertain being included in the deal.

The Unseen
04-07-2007, 03:38 PM
I wouldn't be suprised if the Rams traded for him, or made an offer of a 3rd Round pick this year and conditional next year or mabye a 3rd this year and Dominique Byrd.

I am hoping that the Rams acquire him.

He's the player the Rams absolutely need.!

What is your infatuation with trading Dominique Byrd? He's a nothing player.

skinzzfan25
04-07-2007, 03:46 PM
Any player would probably have to be someone that could fill an immediate hole for us at LB, S, or TE and I don't think there's anyone on your roster that you'd be willing to part with that would fill one of those roles for us.

Though, you'd have more knowledge as to who the G-Men would be willing to part with.

With Fletcher-Baker coming in, Marshall is left as a backup.

Maybe a swap? He's pretty good at WLB, and was playing out of position.

JoeMontainya
04-07-2007, 04:13 PM
What about the Browns high 4rth round pick, and maybe Chaun Thompson (LB)?

Would he fit in the 3-4? DE or NT?

SchizophrenicBatman
04-07-2007, 07:51 PM
Jenkins was very average last year and apparently the team has an even worse opinion of his play than I do. He did show some flashes of when he was a top DT, so it's possible he could put it back together in the next couple of years but unlikely given his laziness. From what I can tell, the Panthers are trying to do one of two things (or possibly a mixture of both) by floating this rumor:

1. Motivating Jenkins to step it up this year. He was a beast until he got his contract, though of course the injuries have some fault in his downfall as well.

2. Fleecing some team out of a higher pick than he's worth. The Panthers aren't in a position where theyre forced to trade Kris. He's not franchised or complaining about his contract. Sorry to disappoint, but a 4th and a conditional 2008 pick isn't going to land you Jenkins. If I was another team, I wouldn't risk any more than a 3rd on him (if even that) but if I were the Carolina FO I wouldnt even listen to anyone offering lower than a 2nd. I mean, the Bucs got a 2nd (a late second but nonetheless) for Booger ****ing McFarland. Jenkins might have been about as effective as Booger was last year but he has much higher potential.

It's also possible they're thinking about rebuilding to a certain extent, but I highly doubt it given their attitude this offseason. They may just like a certain tackle in the draft, Okoye sounds like someone Fox would love...and with another 2nd we could move up into position to take him, or Landry for that matter and still have picks to address our other needs. There's also some talk that his cap figure might be a bit detrimental to cap management with Smitty and Peppers working on contract extensions, but if that's such a big deal I dont know why we just signed Carr to 3.5 mil/yr when Delhomme is already overpaid

As for the Giants, I could see Justin Tuck as a throw in with a 3rd maybe. Unless you have back up safeties or TEs that are relatively young with some upside you're willing to part with I otherwise doubt it.

BX
04-07-2007, 09:02 PM
I think Dallas could use a player like Jenkins.

indyfan1985
04-07-2007, 10:00 PM
Do you guys need OT help? I wouldnt mind if the Champs gave up Ryan Diem who is our starting RT for Jenkins. Diem, like Jenkins, has had some great seasons. And with the depth we have at OL, and a big cap hit from Diem, I could see us possibly trading him.

SchizophrenicBatman
04-07-2007, 10:58 PM
OT is a possibility as Wharton is a question mark coming off injury and Gross may not be re-signed when his contract runs out. Not sure what we'd look for if we go that route though

JPF
04-08-2007, 08:34 AM
Consider that 35 players on our roster have contracts that expire after this season and one could certainly take the view that we are looking to rebuild after this year.

Granted, included in that 35 are the NFL-E Allocations, and a few guys that are camp fodder/practice squad guys. But it also includes the likes of Jordan Gross, Mike Rucker, Brad Hoover, Travelle Wharton, Damoine Lewis, Drew Carter, Geoff Hangartner, Evan Mathis, among others.

Personally, I don't think that's the case, but I can see why some might think that.

simmy1989
04-20-2007, 02:18 PM
guys stop and think here, he just came off an injury last year and didn't have a bad year, we should at least give him another year to see what he's got left, the panthers will regret giving him up for a 2-4 round pick

ericcartman
04-20-2007, 04:14 PM
On the flipside, this is the right time to get maximum value for him. Whatever maximum means!!! I can understand guys getting injured and not contributing 100%, but if it is a question of motivation, its better to get rid off him.

JustJoe2k5
04-21-2007, 06:12 AM
If the right offer is there, I'd take it. I'm confident enough in guys like Damione Lewis and Jordan Carstens to hold down the interior of our defensive line alongside Maake Kemoeatu.

But thereís one other very important reason Jenkins is on the block: He has value, and thatís the main reason the Panthers are shopping him for a draft pick or picks. Think about it for a second: Heading into the draft, the Panthers have glaring needs at safety (probably two safeties), middle linebacker, defensive end and pretty big needs at wide receiver, return man and tight end.

Realistically, youíre only going to get players who can contribute immediately in the first three rounds and the Panthers only have one pick in each of those rounds. Do the math. Right now, the Panthers have far more needs than they do draft picks that reasonably can be expected to start or play big roles right away.

Dealing Jenkins will put them one step closer to filling all those holes.

I agree with that assessment by Yasinskas.