PDA

View Full Version : Cover 2

07-07-2006, 04:29 PM
If Tony and Monte created it in Minnesota then why is it the "Tampa 2"?

07-07-2006, 04:33 PM
they perfected it

07-07-2006, 04:33 PM
they perfected it

Are you a Packers fan?

07-07-2006, 04:40 PM
they perfected it

Are you a Packers fan?

packers
ravens
redskins
chiefs
many teams why

07-07-2006, 04:42 PM
they perfected it

Are you a Packers fan?

packers
ravens
redskins
chiefs
many teams why

I was curious, 4 seemed to say "Brett Favre" but I see you supporting other teams.

draftguru151
07-07-2006, 04:44 PM
they perfected it

Pretty much. I never even knew Minny used to run it, how long ago was that?

07-07-2006, 04:49 PM
they perfected it

Are you a Packers fan?

packers
ravens
redskins
chiefs
many teams why

I was curious, 4 seemed to say "Brett Favre" but I see you supporting other teams.

favre is my fav player thats why

Shane P. Hallam
07-07-2006, 05:21 PM
Tampa, Marinelli won a championship with it and tweaked it to perfection.

07-07-2006, 05:41 PM
they perfected it

Pretty much. I never even knew Minny used to run it, how long ago was that?

A while back when Kiffen and Dungy were still coaching.

07-07-2006, 06:05 PM

hahaha Marinelli was a part of that but the true genious is easily Kiffen.

Dam8610
07-07-2006, 06:16 PM
Tampa 2 is easier to type and say than the other one. That's really my only reason for wanting to keep it that way.

Staubach12
07-07-2006, 06:38 PM
Tampa 2 is easier to type and say than the other one. That's really my only reason for wanting to keep it that way.

I agree.

Shane P. Hallam
07-07-2006, 06:43 PM

hahaha Marinelli was a part of that but the true genious is easily Kiffen.

I meant Kiffen, my bad.

jetvilma51
07-07-2006, 08:34 PM
tampa 2 is cooler

CGF 216/137
07-07-2006, 08:45 PM

cause no one likes minnesota.

HawkeyeFan
07-07-2006, 10:53 PM
Tampa 2!

draftguru151
07-07-2006, 10:56 PM

cause no one likes minnesota.

Precisely.

07-08-2006, 12:11 AM
Because Tampa's defense is actualy good? I dont know...

07-08-2006, 12:15 AM
Why would even bother asking for someone's opinion if you're just going to have smartass comments in the choices?

07-08-2006, 09:54 AM
Why would even bother asking for someone's opinion if you're just going to have smartass comments in the choices?

:roll:

Well considering that the "smartass coments" are factual I really dont see the problem.

keylime_5
07-08-2006, 10:08 AM
Why not just say cover 2?

The Unseen
07-08-2006, 10:18 AM
Why not just say cover 2?

Because there's a difference. In the Cover 2, the cornerbacks and linebackers cover the lower fifths of the field, and the safeties cover the deep halves. In the Tampa 2, the cornerbacks and outside linebackers cover areas slightly larger (called fourths, although actually fourths of their combined areas), and the middle linebacker along with the safeties each cover a third of the deep area.

The Unseen
07-08-2006, 10:20 AM
Here's an article that explains the difference, as well as some diagrams:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2004/02/27/ramblings/strategy-minicamps/167/

draftguru151
07-08-2006, 10:25 AM
That and in the tampa 2 the DL is different.

07-08-2006, 04:53 PM

Marinelli was the DL coach.

Also, I think since 2 of our defenses are considered among the best ever (98-99 and 02-03) made the Cover 2 what it is today.

Without those great defenses and great players, the Cover 2 wouldn't be as famous.

Do any college teams run the Cover 2?

Ward
07-08-2006, 05:09 PM
Where would you rather live, Tampa or Minnesota? Case closed!

07-08-2006, 05:13 PM

I do live in Tampa.

draftguru151
07-08-2006, 07:07 PM

Also, I think since 2 of our defenses are considered among the best ever (98-99 and 02-03) made the Cover 2 what it is today.

Without those great defenses and great players, the Cover 2 wouldn't be as famous.

I know the University of Miami does. Not sure about anywhere else.

The Unseen
07-08-2006, 07:50 PM
I'm pretty sure many college teams run the Cover 2. I know for a fact that Div-1 AA Illinois State does. Jags' fifth rounder Brent Hawkins was a DE there, and his coach (D-coordinator or head I dunno) is the son of Teerlinck the Colts DL coach. Brent mentioned on an interview that they run the same defense the Colts do.

njx9
07-09-2006, 05:04 PM

minnesota.

but i have an intense personal dislike for the city of tampa.

07-09-2006, 05:05 PM

minnesota.

Why? The city itself is a little depressed and its more of a Clearwater than a St. Petersburg but I like it.

njx9
07-09-2006, 05:13 PM

minnesota.

Why? The city itself is a little depressed and its more of a Clearwater than a St. Petersburg but I like it.

i've had to spend a lot of time there for work and i can't honestly point to a single thing i like about it (well, maybe with the minor exception that the airport is easy to deal with).

then again, i've also never been down to y'alls bar street (i can't remember the name of the area right now... ybor or something?), so that might make it better.

johbur
07-09-2006, 05:47 PM
Here's an article that explains the difference, as well as some diagrams:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2004/02/27/ramblings/strategy-minicamps/167/

Nice article. That the Steelers of the 70's used it shows why it has staying poower, as anything that brings rings gets copied. Seeing as how Minnesota continues to be ringless, not likely that anything will get named after them, unless it involves eating oysters in public on Lake Minnetonka.

07-09-2006, 05:53 PM

minnesota.

i've had to spend a lot of time there for work and i can't honestly point to a single thing i like about it (well, maybe with the minor exception that the airport is easy to deal with).

then again, i've also never been down to y'alls bar street (i can't remember the name of the area right now... ybor or something?), so that might make it better.

The airport is wonderfully easy and quick.

Ybor is the name and its a great place with bars and Cafes with a heavy Cuban influence, its the best part of the area.

07-09-2006, 06:55 PM

I know the University of Miami does. Not sure about anywhere else.Doesnt Penn State use the Cover 2? Thats why Zemaitis said he knows Tampa 2 good already.

iripcorners26
07-09-2006, 11:32 PM
Well. The West Coast offense was invented by Paul Brown in Cleveland, but was perfected by Bill Walsh in San Francisco. Same thing with Cover 2. It doesn't matter where it started; It was perfected and made famous in Tampa.

...and it is catchy

bucpimpin
07-09-2006, 11:33 PM

They didnt create it in Minnesota.

07-09-2006, 11:34 PM

Actually they did.

bucpimpin
07-09-2006, 11:38 PM

Actually they did.

Monte came from seattle.. Dungy brought in Kiffen, Marinelli, Lovie, Herm when he came to Tampa. There it was born.

07-09-2006, 11:40 PM

Actually they did.

Monte came from seattle.. Dungy brought in Kiffen, Marinelli, Lovie, Herm when he came to Tampa. There it was born.

The concept was first tested and used in minnesota, nobody really disputes that. It was perfected in Tampa/

bigbluedefense
07-11-2006, 06:27 PM
Does it really matter? Its an extremely overrated defense anyway. Boo to Tampa 2. Tampa 2 $ucks a$$.

XxXdragonXxX
07-11-2006, 11:23 PM

"Kiffin came to Tampa Bay after spending the 1995 campaign as the defensive coordinator for the New Orleans Saints. In 1995, the Saints tied for fourth in the NFL in sacks with 44. Just prior to coaching in New Orleans, Kiffin spent four seasons (1991-94) as an assistant coach for the Minnesota Vikings, serving as defensive coordinator for head coach Jerry Burns in 1991 and as inside linebackers coach for head coach Dennis Green and defensive coordinator Tony Dungy from 1992-94. During that tenure in Minnesota, the Vikings led the league in both total defense and run defense in 1994."

Sorry to burst your bubble....

littlewebs
07-21-2006, 06:41 PM
they perfected it

Are you a Packers fan?

packers
ravens
redskins
chiefs
many teams why

Sports bigamist :evil:

Shiver
07-21-2006, 06:45 PM
Does it really matter? Its an extremely overrated defense anyway. Boo to Tampa 2. Tampa 2 $ucks a$$.

What? The Buccaneers have had the most consistently great defense the last 10 years using a Tampa 2, including 1 Super Bowl.

bigbluedefense
07-22-2006, 12:34 PM

What? The Buccaneers have had the most consistently great defense the last 10 years using a Tampa 2, including 1 Super Bowl.

Cover 2 is a regular season defense. The bucs had much success in the regular season over the past 10 years with it, but outside that one Super Bowl year, have perrenially choked in the playoffs. Its simplicity, vulnerability to power backs, and inability to play man defense kills it in the playoffs. Its fine and dandy in the regular season, but when the stakes are higher and everything intensifies, Cover 2's simplicity is not effective in the postseason because team's already know whats coming at them and can effectively gameplan against it.

In fact, look at this past season. Every Cover 2 team choked in the playoffs. Tampa, Indy, Chicago...all choked. Indy and Chicago got rocked, while Tampa held its own, the bottomline is it didn't get a W at home against a team that wasn't as good.

cunningham06
07-22-2006, 12:36 PM

I know the University of Miami does. Not sure about anywhere else.Doesnt Penn State use the Cover 2? Thats why Zemaitis said he knows Tampa 2 good already.

UT does as well.