PDA

View Full Version : Rock Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Shiver
04-09-2007, 12:17 PM
If Rap gets its own thread, then this should be a thread. I am a large rock music aficionado. I like a wide ranging spectrum of music. Since there are dozens, and dozens of sub-genres, pretty much anything that isn't country, death metal, or rap, should apply.

EDIT:

70s

Queen
Pink Floyd
Led Zeppelin

80s

Joy Division
Guns N Roses
The Cure

90s-00s

Rage Against the Machine
At the Drive-In
Porcupine Tree
The Mars Volta
Tool

Now that this thread has kicked off, I've narrowed down the list to more accurately portray my taste.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
04-09-2007, 12:22 PM
Everybody knows that the greatest rock band of the past 15 years is Soundgarden, and all time it's Rush. End. Of. Discussion. :)

Shiver
04-09-2007, 12:24 PM
u2? rhcp? blech.

I don't like them that much, in all honesty. I was just typing whatever I had readily available in my CD Case. Besides, they are popular, so that should be a catalyst for discussion.

bearsfan_51
04-09-2007, 12:26 PM
http://library.thinkquest.org/04oct/00830/sedimentaryrock.jpg
Metamorphic is my favorite.

The Unseen
04-09-2007, 12:26 PM
I'm not even a music fan, and yet I've recently gotten this weird addiction to Bohemian Rhapsody. I became randomly curious in the song, checked it up on Youtube, and bam. Same thing has happened to me and Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This).

So I've had this recent rock infusion to my diet.

The Unseen
04-09-2007, 12:27 PM
http://library.thinkquest.org/04oct/00830/sedimentaryrock.jpg
Metamorphic is my favorite.

No way. Igneous is the shizz.

slightlyaraiderfan
04-09-2007, 12:29 PM
80s

Queen
Pink Floyd
Joy Division
Faith No More
Depeche Mode
U2
The Cure
Those are some of my favs too, 80's is my fav music era. Other 80's groups I like are Danzig, Slayer, The Smiths/Morrissey, Misfits/Samhain, Megadeth Sisters of Mercy, Motorhead Christian Death, The Church, and a bunch of other stuff I know i'm missing.

The new bands I like are Tiger Army, Tv on the Radio, Bloc Party, Modest Mouse and West of Everything.

SuperKevin
04-09-2007, 12:31 PM
Right now it's hard to talk about Rock music because it's been split into so many sub genres of music. But my favorite bands right now have to be The Kooks, Say Anything, Bloc Party, and The Shins

Shiver
04-09-2007, 12:32 PM
I'm not even a music fan, and yet I've recently gotten this weird addiction to Bohemian Rhapsody. I became randomly curious in the song, checked it up on Youtube, and bam. Same thing has happened to me and Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This).

So I've had this recent rock infusion to my diet.

That is such a stellar song. The operatic section that transitions into the hard rock was amazing.

UKfan
04-09-2007, 12:32 PM
Those are some of my favs too, 80's is my fav music era. Other 80's groups I like are Danzig, Slayer, The Smiths/Morrissey, Misfits/Samhain, Megadeth Sisters of Mercy, Motorhead Christian Death, The Church, and a bunch of other stuff I know i'm missing.

The new bands I like are Tiger Army, Tv on the Radio, Bloc Party, Modest Mouse and West of Everything.

Good call, I'm hooked on them, but I'm not sure they'd really be called Rock music.

Shiver
04-09-2007, 12:34 PM
Right now it's hard to talk about Rock music because it's been split into so many sub genres of music. But my favorite bands right now have to be The Kooks, Say Anything, Bloc Party, and The Shins

That's true, especially as of late. I listen to most of it. I like a lot of it, except for metal, screamo, and ridiculous Dashboard Confessional-esque emo.

bearsfan_51
04-09-2007, 12:36 PM
I used to love Less than Jake (as I know njx did as well) untill they became Blink 182/ Sugar Ray. Their new album makes me want to kill them so as to not disgrace their previously good name. Now when I tell people they are my favorite band I have to qualify that with, before they turned into poppy garbage that 14 year olds listen to on myspace.

Ugh...end rant.

bearsfan_51
04-09-2007, 12:37 PM
i wouldn't have posted, but i figured it would get someone to post back about how great those bands are and how deaf i am (or something to that effect).

whoever posted rush should donate their ear drums to science. you clearly don't need them anymore.
Well he balanced it out with Soundgarden IMO. Chris Cornell is one of the more underappreciated lead singers of this generation.

Shiver
04-09-2007, 12:37 PM
I used to love Less than Jake (as I know njx did as well) untill they became Blink 182/ Sugar Ray. Their new album makes me want to kill them so as to not disgrace their previously good name. Now when I tell people they are my favorite band I have to qualify that with, before they turned into poppy garbage that 14 year olds listen to on myspace.

Ugh...end rant.

The opposite of that is Brand New. They started out as mediocre at best, pop-punk band. Their last CD, The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me, was fantastic.

Jay
04-09-2007, 12:38 PM
Are we calling heavy metal and hardcore derivatives of rock or is it worthy of it's own section?

bearsfan_51
04-09-2007, 12:38 PM
Pezcore and Losing Streak are two of the best "punk" cds i own to this day. it's too bad, their live show was amazing. worthless label monkeys.

I even accepted some of their later stuff as keeping with the times. So long as they wrote good lyrics and kept the horn section I was willing to stand up for them. In fact their lyrics have progressively gotten better, but their new album is the culmination of everything I didn't like about where they were going.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
04-09-2007, 12:40 PM
i wouldn't have posted, but i figured it would get someone to post back about how great those bands are and how deaf i am (or something to that effect).

whoever posted rush should donate their ear drums to science. you clearly don't need them anymore.

Are you kidding?

Geddy Lee is a superiorly talented musician. You try playing bass, keyboards, and singing, all on the same song, live in concert. Alex is one of the most underrated guitarists of all time. And everybody knows Neil Peart is widely considered on of the greatest drummers of all-time. Their songs are all unique and complex, but still equate to easy listening and all around great music.

Shiver
04-09-2007, 12:41 PM
A band I don't like that much anymore is Incubus. They were much better in the 90s, then they are right now. Light Grenades and ACLOTM were decent. I liked S.C.I.E.N.C.E, and Make Yourself, a lot better.

frogstomp
04-09-2007, 12:42 PM
No one has mentioned

MATTHEW GOOD BAND.

Download "Apparitions," "Fall of Man," or "Weapon" right frigging now (Weapon is after Matthew Good Band broke up, and is simply by Matthew Good... regardless, it is still better than you).

frogstomp
04-09-2007, 12:43 PM
A band I don't like that much anymore is Incubus. They were much better in the 90s, then they are right now. Light Grenades and ACLOTM were decent. I liked S.C.I.E.N.C.E, and Make Yourself, a lot better.

The only good song off of Light Grenades was Anna Molly. The rest was so mediocre. Make Yourself was a great album.

Shiver
04-09-2007, 12:45 PM
No one has mentioned

MATTHEW GOOD BAND.

Download "Apparitions," "Fall of Man," or "Weapon" right frigging now (Weapon is after Matthew Good Band broke up, and is simply by Matthew Good... regardless, it is still better than you).

I never got into Dave Matthews Band, for whatever reason.

The only good song off of Light Grenades was Anna Molly. The rest was so mediocre. Make Yourself was a great album.

Yeah, that's pretty accurate.

frogstomp
04-09-2007, 12:46 PM
I never got into Dave Matthews Band, for whatever reason.

Yeah, that's pretty accurate.

Yeah, I'm not talking about Dave Matthews Band. Screw them. Matthew Good Band is a completely different band.

Another song to add to the list is Truffle Pigs.

JCutlery
04-09-2007, 12:47 PM
Rammstein
Rage Against The Machine
KMFDM

etk
04-09-2007, 12:49 PM
This thread will never be quite like the rap thread because there are no jetsfuture equivalents that can't produce a proper sentence and like 50 Cent as their favourite rapper.

slightlyaraiderfan
04-09-2007, 12:50 PM
Rammstein
Rage Against The Machine
KMFDM
I remember a Bronco fan who use to post here, and I also remember he liked Rammstein and KMFDM..

What a coincidence. ;)

JCutlery
04-09-2007, 12:52 PM
I remember a Bronco fan who use to post here, and I also remember he liked Rammstein and KMFDM..

What a coincidence. ;)

:D

SHHHHHHHH

SuperKevin
04-09-2007, 12:53 PM
This thread will never be quite like the rap thread because there are no jetsfuture equivalents that can't produce a proper sentence and like 50 Cent as their favourite rapper.

I like rok musik much. Green Day Rulez!!!!!

That close enough?

That's sarcasm by the way. Early Green Day(1039 Hours, kerplunk, Dookie) was amazing but their new stuff is crap.

JCutlery
04-09-2007, 12:54 PM
I like rok musik much. Green Day Rulez!!!!!

That close enough?

That's sarcasm by the way. Early Green Day(1039 Hours, kerplunk, Dookie) was amazing but their new stuff is crap.

Dookie = best punk cd ever, in my opinion.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
04-09-2007, 12:57 PM
No way. Igneous is the shizz.

Sedimentary FTW

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
04-09-2007, 12:57 PM
their sound is horrible and geddy has zero range. that doesn't mean his voice isn't high pitched. it means that's the entireity of his vocal range. they did absolutely nothing better than any other band that was around at the same time and in fact, play worse music.

i've played bass drum, bass guitar, rhythm guitar and harmonica all at once. does that mean i'm really good at music, or that i was trying to cover up for being extraordinarily mediocre at all of those instruments and thus needed a schtick to get people interested?

Lee is one of the most influential bass players EVER. He's also a very good keyboardist, although some of my least favorite stuff from Rush came from the period in the 80s when synthesizers started to dominate their songs, but they weren't the only great band doing that (Van Halen immediately comes to mind). Anyway, I really, really hope you aren't insinuating that he's a mediocre musician. Think of your favorite bassist and there's a good chance he was influenced by Geddy Lee.

I'll give you the fact that he was a far cry (pun intended) from being the greatest vocalist in the world, as that's the main criticism that most people have of the band. However, I can tolerate it, and it doesn't change the fact that they produce amazing music.

SuperKevin
04-09-2007, 12:59 PM
If you are trying to name the best musician I'd have to go with Ben Folds. The guy plays every instrument there is and has great vocals.

RaiderNation
04-09-2007, 12:59 PM
breaking benjamin

UKfan
04-09-2007, 01:01 PM
Bon Jovi FTW!!!!

Shiver
04-09-2007, 01:05 PM
Yeah, I'm not talking about Dave Matthews Band. Screw them. Matthew Good Band is a completely different band.

Saw the Matthew, Band, so I assumed and typed away. Haha

Shiver
04-09-2007, 01:06 PM

Yeah, hence why I put Green Day in the '90s section. That is when real Green Day existed.

frogstomp
04-09-2007, 01:12 PM
and is likely one of the best pure songwriters around right now.

I would say the best lyricists are Matt Good and MJK (even though this is subjective, as songs speak differently to different people. Matt Good and MJK just happen to write songs that happen to mean something to me, or songs that I feel are particularly deep/meaningful/insightful).

frogstomp
04-09-2007, 01:13 PM
Saw the Matthew, Band, so I assumed and typed away. Haha

Yeah, everyone knows Dave Matthews... no one knows Matthew Good. Easy mistake.

JF4
04-09-2007, 01:27 PM
Yeah, everyone knows Dave Matthews... no one knows Matthew Good. Easy mistake.

I've always liked Matt Good and actually he was the first concert I have ever seen. You mentioned all of my favourite songs of his.

ncst8fan83
04-09-2007, 01:28 PM
Lee is one of the most influential bass players EVER. He's also a very good keyboardist, although some of my least favorite stuff from Rush came from the period in the 80s when synthesizers started to dominate their songs, but they weren't the only great band doing that (Van Halen immediately comes to mind). Anyway, I really, really hope you aren't insinuating that he's a mediocre musician. Think of your favorite bassist and there's a good chance he was influenced by Geddy Lee.

I'll give you the fact that he was a far cry (pun intended) from being the greatest vocalist in the world, as that's the main criticism that most people have of the band. However, I can tolerate it, and it doesn't change the fact that they produce amazing music.

i'm going to assume you don't play the bass or you'd understand the absurdity of that statement.

top rock bands for me -
Soundgarden
RATM
Silverchair
Jimi Hendrix
Radiohead
Eric Clapton/Cream
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Allman Brothers
Red Hot Chili Peppers
The Smashing Pumpkins
Nine Inch Nails

Along the softer side -
Eagles
Counting Crows
Fleetwood Mac
The Doors
Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young
James Taylor

As far as most influential, I'm not sure any band has ever been more influential than The Yardbirds.

I like a lot of the newer stuff, but they have to be great a bit longer to make my list.

Space Ghost
04-09-2007, 01:33 PM
I went to a Toronto Rock Lacrosse game on Friday :D

My favourite rock is probably Clapton though, can't get enough of his music. Everything he did was great. ACDC is probably second with Dave Mathews, Neil Young and Jimmi Hendrix round off my top five.

drowe
04-09-2007, 01:37 PM
I came of age in the mid 90's so, for me, it's all about alternative rock
Live (all time favorite band)
Soundgarden
STP
AIC
Pearl Jam
Candlebox
Stabbing Westward

my guilty pleasure lately has been lesbo rock. I really like Melissa Etheridge and The Indigo Girls. does that make me a lesbian???

also, i can write a whole paragraph about how much I hate Rush, but I just don't have the ambition right now.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
04-09-2007, 02:03 PM
i'm going to assume you don't play the bass or you'd understand the absurdity of that statement.

No, I don't play the bass, but I don't have to; I know from numerous readings that Geddy is considered very, very influential by a number of big-time bass players. Check out any music publication, any interview with a bassist, and Geddy will likely be mentioned as an influence. Les Claypool and Flea are just a few.

Lee and Neil Peart easily make up the best rhythm section in the history of Rock music, in my opinion (and in the opinion of many others).

Jughead10
04-09-2007, 02:06 PM
If Rap gets its own thread, then this should be a thread. I am a large rock music aficionado. I like a wide ranging spectrum of music.

Bands I like, off the top of my head:

80s

Queen
Pink Floyd
Joy Division
Faith No More
Depeche Mode
U2
The Cure

90s

Nirvana
Rage Against the Machine
At the Drive-In
Green Day
Red Hot Chili Peppers
System of a Down
Deftones
Radiohead
Foo Fighters

00s

Thursday
Brand New
Brazil
Mars Volta
Incubus
Thrice
AFI
Cursive
Alkaline Trio
Glassjaw
Finch
Circa Survive
My Chemical Romance

I know I missed a bunch, anyway, this is to kick things off. I am going to do my best to champion this thread.

Ugh, the mere fact that you listed some of those emo bands in the same post as Queen, U2, and Pink Floyd makes me sick to my stomach.

Jughead10
04-09-2007, 02:11 PM
name 4 of those bands that are "emo" and include why.

Well I guess I shouldn't have used the word "emo". I guess it is a little vague and seems to incite some anger with people on this board. Personally whether it is right or wrong I categorize a lot of the music out today as emo. I know there are smaller genres or sub genres people put some of this music under I just don't have time to keep up nor do I really care since most of it sucks anyway. But I was referring to bands like Thursday, Alkaline Trio, and Finch.

04-09-2007, 02:12 PM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Metallica yet as one of there favorite Bands.

Jughead10
04-09-2007, 02:13 PM
also, i can write a whole paragraph about how much I hate Rush, but I just don't have the ambition right now.

QFT. I guess they have some new album coming out and upcoming tour. The main NYC classic rock station has been having contests for them and playing them more often recently. It is driving me crazy.

04-09-2007, 02:14 PM
Yea there is a lot of crap because of those emo bands. It makes Rock N Roll look bad.

OSUGiants17
04-09-2007, 02:15 PM
No Clash?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
and I also like Anti-Flag alot.
________
Medical Marijuana Dispensaries.Com (http://dispensaries.org)

Jughead10
04-09-2007, 02:15 PM
Yea there is a lot of crap because of those emo bands. It makes Rock N Roll look bad.

And I'll be the first to admit it, that I used to listen to it when I was an awkward teenager around the ages of 16-19. But eventually grew up and realized it for what it is.

ChewyRaven318
04-09-2007, 02:20 PM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Metallica yet as one of there favorite Bands.

..maaaybe because Metallica's washed up at this point?

I'm more into indie bands such as Modest Mouse, Bright Eyes, Bloc Party, The Shins, and Rilo Kiley at this point.

I also listen to a lot of folk-ish stuff like Neko Case, M. Ward, and Benjy Ferree(who is an awesome local artist)

Oh, and say what you will about LTJ(I agree that their new albums have sucked), but they are still one of my top 5 live bands, prolly top 3 with Flogging Molly, and Bon Jovi(I'll get flamed for that one, but I don't care)

yourfavestoner
04-09-2007, 02:20 PM
Anybody here like The Bled?

04-09-2007, 02:23 PM
..maaaybe because Metallica's washed up at this point?

I'm more into indie bands such as Modest Mouse, Bright Eyes, Bloc Party, The Shins, and Rilo Kiley at this point.

I also listen to a lot of folk-ish stuff like Neko Case, M. Ward, and Benjy Ferree(who is an awesome local artist)

Oh, and say what you will about LTJ(I agree that their new albums have sucked), but they are still one of my top 5 live bands, prolly top 3 with Flogging Molly, and Bon Jovi(I'll get flamed for that one, but I don't care)

IDK. Their St. Anger Album was good. IDK how come nodoby likes it. I know it's a garage sound, but it's makes it very unique. Kind of like Bob Dylan's voice a lot of people didn't like it.

Jughead10
04-09-2007, 02:25 PM
i'm ujust annoyed by the broad generalization of music most people haven't actually listened to as "emo", especially when something like alkaline trio gets lumped in with something like early dashboard confessional. it'd be akin to saying ALL rock music sucks because that guy from creed is a pretentious ***hole. i don't overly care if people like the music or not, but it's simply lazy to call it emo just because some kid who wears all black clothes and girl's jeans at your school might have listened to it once.

Then tell me what exactly emo is? I know all about Finch, Trio, and Thursday. At least their older stuff. Not anything they have put out within the last 3 years. When I used to listen to Alkaline Trio their biggest song was "Radio" and it didn't get much more Emo than that. Whether they are emo or not, the fact that they are in the same post as U2 and Pink Floyd is pretty sickening. Thats like having a post about football players of the 80's and 2000's and have LT for the 80's and Scott Fujita for 2000's.

ChewyRaven318
04-09-2007, 02:26 PM
Finch, Trio, and Thursday are NOT Emo.

Ever hear of a little band called Fugazi?

drowe
04-09-2007, 02:29 PM
IDK. Their St. Anger Album was good. IDK how come nodoby likes it. I know it's a garage sound, but it's makes it very unique. Kind of like Bob Dylan's voice a lot of people didn't like it.

yeah, wow. really hated st. anger. the production of that album really missed the mark. and for some reason, i was expecting a lot out of it. i really liked early Metallica and didn't even totally hate the 90's stuff. but St. Anger is one of the most disappointing CDs I've ever owned. right up there with Van Halen III (bought that garbage the day it came out) and Live's V.

regarding Rush, I dunno, this thread really does 'em right. ya either love 'em or ya hate 'em. I hate 'em. I hate the sound, hate the voice, hate that they're from Canada. seriously, between Rush, Nickelback, Bryan Adams, Celine Dion and Alanis Morisette, Canadians should NOT be allowed to make music.

Jughead10
04-09-2007, 02:33 PM
yeah, wow. really hated st. anger. the production of that album really missed the mark. and for some reason, i was expecting a lot out of it. i really liked early Metallica and didn't even totally hate the 90's stuff. but St. Anger is one of the most disappointing CDs I've ever owned. right up there with Van Halen III (bought that garbage the day it came out) and Live's V.

regarding Rush, I dunno, this thread really does 'em right. ya either love 'em or ya hate 'em. I hate 'em. I hate the sound, hate the voice, hate that they're from Canada. seriously, between Rush, Nickelback, Bryan Adams, Celine Dion and Alanis Morisette, Canadians should NOT be allowed to make music.

Woah slow down there. Easy with the Bryan Adams. Come on now, how can you hate the song from Robin Hood Prince of Thieves. Also Summer of 69'. You at least have to love that song just because it provides cover bands at bars easy material.

ChewyRaven318
04-09-2007, 02:35 PM
Bryan Adams haters should be crucified..

just saying..

drowe
04-09-2007, 02:35 PM
Woah slow down there. Easy with the Bryan Adams. Come on now, how can you hate the song from Robin Hood Prince of Thieves. Also Summer of 69'. You at least have to love that song just because it provides cover bands at bars easy material.

NO! the only thing Summer of '69 did was make people think it was ok to like Bryan Adams.

and if ya don't hate him...here is a lyric sample that should act as a refresher:

tell me have you ever really; really really ever loved a woman

Ward
04-09-2007, 02:39 PM
311, Acceptance, Allman Brothers, Anberlin, The Arcade Fire, Architecture in Helsinki, Audioslave, Beck, Bjork, Buckethead, Cake, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Coheed & Cambria, Copeland, Corrosion of Conformity, Cream, The Curtains, Dave Matthews, Death From Above 1979, The Decemberists, Donavon Frankenreiter, Doobie Brothers, Dredg, The Eagles, The Early November, Editors, Eric Clapton, Everlast, Explosions in the Sky, Faith No More, The Flaming Lips, The Format, The Frontline, Gym Class Heroes, The Hush Sound, Guster, James Taylor, Jamiroquai, Jethro Tull, Jewel, Jimmy Eat World, John Legend, Keak Da Sneak, Keane, Led Zeppelin, Les Claypool, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Mae, Mason Jennings, Mates of State, Metallica, Meryll, Moneen, Muse, Nonpoint, Our Lady Peace, Pantera, Placebo, Primus, The Raconteurs, Radiohead, Red House Painters, Regina Spektor, Revis, Russian Circles, Ryan Adams, Santana, Snow Patrol, Soilwork, Soundgarden, Spoon, Staind, Steve Miller, Stevie Wonder, The Streets, Sufjan Stevens, Tanya Stephens, Tenacious D, Third Eye Blind, The Toadies, Tool, Travis, Vertical Horizon, Wolfmother, ZZ Top

Jughead10
04-09-2007, 02:40 PM
NO! the only thing Summer of '69 did was make people think it was ok to like Bryan Adams.

and if ya don't hate him...here is a lyric sample that should act as a refresher:

tell me have you ever really; really really ever loved a woman

I hear ya. Summer of 69' seems to be the only common freaking song every cover band that performs at bars down the Jersey Shore all have in their set lists.

ChewyRaven318
04-09-2007, 02:42 PM
I'm just glad nobody has mentioned Hinder, Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin, Saliva, etc.

All of those bands need to be sent to some kinda deep friar.

themaninblack
04-09-2007, 02:54 PM
mainstream rock is dead. unless rage makes a full comeback.

terribletowel39
04-09-2007, 03:00 PM
I'm just glad nobody has mentioned Hinder, Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin, Saliva, etc.

All of those bands need to be sent to some kinda deep friar.

an old roman catholic religious man??

and there is nothing wrong with breaking benjamin. they have great songs. if you don't like there mainstream stuff listen to blow me away, it is written for a level in Halo.

ChewyRaven318
04-09-2007, 03:02 PM
an old roman catholic religious man??

and there is nothing wrong with breaking benjamin. they have great songs. if you don't like there mainstream stuff listen to blow me away, it is written for a level in Halo.

lol, whoops.

I've heard the song. Not crazy about it.

Vikes99ej
04-09-2007, 03:04 PM
I don't really think emo can be classified as a type of music... I think it more defines a lifestyle and a person's style.

terribletowel39
04-09-2007, 03:07 PM
lol, whoops.

I've heard the song. Not crazy about it.

aww come on, that song works great for me when i am need of getting pumped up for something.

ChewyRaven318
04-09-2007, 03:09 PM
I don't really think emo can be classified as a type of music... I think it more defines a lifestyle and a person's style.

Emo started as a music genre that originated from the DC area in the 80s.

The ******** you hear on the radio today is NOT Emo.

terribletowel39
04-09-2007, 03:09 PM

agreed, but certain songs definetly feel/sound like they were written by someone with an emo lifestyle, therefore those songs would be considered emo. i don't think it is its own genre, just certain songs. some of dashboards songs aren't emo at all but they are considered an emo band because most of there songs are emo.

bearsfan_51
04-09-2007, 03:21 PM
It's also worth noting, and I can think of very few examples otherwise, that almost every band should stop making albums after three or four. Bands have about a 6-8 year lifespan when their music is relavent and good, after that it gets pretty blah and corporatized.

Titans10
04-09-2007, 03:22 PM
311, Acceptance, Allman Brothers, Anberlin, The Arcade Fire, Architecture in Helsinki, Audioslave, Beck, Bjork, Buckethead, Cake, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Coheed & Cambria, Copeland, Corrosion of Conformity, Cream, The Curtains, Dave Matthews, Death From Above 1979, The Decemberists, Donavon Frankenreiter, Doobie Brothers, Dredg, The Eagles, The Early November, Editors, Eric Clapton, Everlast, Explosions in the Sky, Faith No More, The Flaming Lips, The Format, The Frontline, Gym Class Heroes, The Hush Sound, Guster, James Taylor, Jamiroquai, Jethro Tull, Jewel, Jimmy Eat World, John Legend, Keak Da Sneak, Keane, Led Zeppelin, Les Claypool, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Mae, Mason Jennings, Mates of State, Metallica, Meryll, Moneen, Muse, Nonpoint, Our Lady Peace, Pantera, Placebo, Primus, The Raconteurs, Radiohead, Red House Painters, Regina Spektor, Revis, Russian Circles, Ryan Adams, Santana, Snow Patrol, Soilwork, Soundgarden, Spoon, Staind, Steve Miller, Stevie Wonder, The Streets, Sufjan Stevens, Tanya Stephens, Tenacious D, Third Eye Blind, The Toadies, Tool, Travis, Vertical Horizon, Wolfmother, ZZ Top

Very nice list, i love most of those bands

I dont think anybody has said

Coldplay
Death Cab for Cutie
My Morning Jacket
Interpol
30 seconds to mars

ChewyRaven318
04-09-2007, 03:23 PM
I'm seeing Ben Gibbard's solo show in DC in about a month!

TH3
04-09-2007, 03:35 PM
90's of the top of my head
Pearl Jam
Third Eye blind
RATM
Radiohead
Pumpkins
Godsmack
Matchbox 20
Sublime
U2
Bush
Soundgarden
STP
Alanis
Black Crows
Alice in Chains
Counting Crows

Vikes99ej
04-09-2007, 03:37 PM
Some of the stuff on my Ipod:

A.F.I, The Academy Is..., Alexisonfire, Angels & Airwaves, Audioslave, Blink 182, Coldplay, Danzig, Fall Out Boy, Franz Ferninand, the Killers, Linkin Park, Modest Mouse, Motion City Soundtrack, My Chemical Romance, Muse, Nickelback, Panic at the Disco, Rage Against the Machine, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Smashing Pumpkins, Taking Back Sunday, The Used, Underoath

terribletowel39
04-09-2007, 03:40 PM

A.F.I, The Academy Is..., Alexisonfire, Angels & Airwaves, Audioslave, Blink 182, Coldplay, Danzig, Fall Out Boy, Franz Ferninand, the Killers, Linkin Park, Modest Mouse, Motion City Soundtrack, My Chemical Romance, Muse, Nickelback, Panic at the Disco, Rage Against the Machine, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Smashing Pumpkins, Taking Back Sunday, The Used, Underoath

thats a good list on there, except angels & airwaves. don't know who danzig or alexisonfire is but by the look of your list it is similar to mine so i will have to check them out. are they available on iTunes??

Shiver
04-09-2007, 03:41 PM
First off; I will begin by saying that I listen to Post-Hardcore music, not emo. If one cannot tell the difference, you're making a sweeping generalization. It's fairly ignorant to broadly characterize any modern band as "emo," though that is typical. As I characterize emo, I think of sappy Dashboard Confessional, Fallout Boy, etcetera, blech, with little relevant lyrical meaning. Or at least that's how I perceive that seemingly derogatory title to mean.

Thursday isn't emo, you won't find one song on any of their newer CDs which has to do with things associated with emo. Broken hearts, slutty ex-girlfriends, typical drama queen stuff, as it were, none of it. Though they have inspired a lot of crappy 'rip-off' bands who have delved into that territory.

Finch, I am not really a fan of. I liked their 2nd CD. I will agree that their first one was too screamo, with a few exceptions.

Alkaline Trio was good, but they've tailed off towards mainstream lately.

Secondly; no I was not ranking them in any particular ways. As I've already stated, I mentioned several bands, with a wide variety of styles, in order to stimulate discussion.

SuperKevin
04-09-2007, 03:42 PM

Pretty similar to my Ipod except I've also got a lot of old Green Day and Say Anything tracks

Boston
04-09-2007, 03:42 PM
Off the top of my head...

.38 Special
Boston
Blue Oyster Cult
Foghat
Golden Earring
Guns 'N' Roses
Jet
Kansas
Zeppelin
Skynyrd
Molly Hatchet
Nazereth
Rainbow
Steve Miller Band
Eagles
Whitesnake
ZZ Top

Vikes99ej
04-09-2007, 03:44 PM
thats a good list on there, except angels & airwaves. don't know who danzig or alexisonfire is but by the look of your list it is similar to mine so i will have to check them out. are they available on iTunes??

Danzig is an older metal group. They have a song on Guitar Hero. I'd classify Alexisonfire as post-hardcore. I saw a video of theirs on Fuse, liked it, and I got their CD. They're allright.

fischbowl
04-09-2007, 03:45 PM
Any RCPM (Roger Clyne And The Peacemakers) fans here?

...or am I the only one.

Shiver
04-09-2007, 03:45 PM
Danzig is an older metal group. They have a song on Guitar Hero. I'd classify Alexisonfire as post-hardcore. I saw a video of theirs on Fuse, liked it, and I got their CD. They're allright.

Alexisonfire has their moments, but nothing I would rave about.

slightlyaraiderfan
04-09-2007, 03:46 PM
lol Danzig is nothing like those other bands, Glenn Danzig(Misfits original singer) started his own hard rock band in the late 80s, some people might say his music is "satanic" :) Danzig is my personal fav.

terribletowel39
04-09-2007, 03:47 PM

kind of a band that has one song you like and the rest are blah??

and totally agree with whoever said ben folds is at the top of song writers of today. to me he is the best solo artists out there, and probably band. if anyone has been to one of his shows you will know why. he is greatness.

ncst8fan83
04-09-2007, 03:51 PM

RATM wasn't mainstream when they were their biggest. I'm not sure why that would change now. To me, the death of mainstream rock died with the Smashing Pumpkins breakup. There are some newer bands out there that seem poised to breakout, but a lot of it sounds the same. If you have a drummer who can play syncopation really well, any type of guitar distortion, a bass player who plays with a pick(ugh!!), and a singer who sounds like their vocal cords were put through a meat grinder, VOILA!!! you have a band!!! Put a funky name on 'em and send them out to college towns under an "indie" label name and you're golden.

Some of the newer bands I'm into are The Alpha Couple, Go Crash Audio, Straylight Run, Field Music, Mae, UnderOath, The Almost, Saves the Day, The Classic Crime, Anberlin, Paramore, Eyes Set to Kill, Jack's Mannequin, The Fratellis, Marty Sampson, and Colbie Caillat.

Vikes99ej
04-09-2007, 03:51 PM
Alexisonfire has their moments, but nothing I would rave about.

Yeah, I know. The only song that I listen to regulary is "This Could Be Anywhere in the World".

terribletowel39
04-09-2007, 03:58 PM
RATM wasn't mainstream when they were their biggest. I'm not sure why that would change now. To me, the death of mainstream rock died with the Smashing Pumpkins breakup. There are some newer bands out there that seem poised to breakout, but a lot of it sounds the same. If you have a drummer who can play syncopation really well, any type of guitar distortion, a bass player who plays with a pick(ugh!!), and a singer who sounds like their vocal cords were put through a meat grinder, VOILA!!! you have a band!!! Put a funky name on 'em and send them out to college towns under an "indie" label name and you're golden.

Some of the newer bands I'm into are The Alpha Couple, Go Crash Audio, Straylight Run, Field Music, Mae, UnderOath, The Almost, Saves the Day, The Classic Crime, Anberlin, Paramore, Eyes Set to Kill, Jack's Mannequin, The Fratellis, Marty Sampson, and Colbie Caillat.

thats a great band. mainly because it has piano in most of the songs, i'm a sucker for that.

i've got a unknown band out of Dallas here called Neverset. kinda how you said a band is created but they are a really good version of that, and i believe the bassist plays without a pick most of the time. you can check them out on iTunes. Neverset.

Shiver
04-09-2007, 03:59 PM

I don't care about perception. I could care less about the mainstream's taste. The closer the music I listen to gets to "mainstream," the less quality in my opinion.

Vikes99ej
04-09-2007, 04:01 PM
So if a rock band is played on the radio once, it gets qualified as mainstream?

Shiver
04-09-2007, 04:02 PM
Some of the newer bands I'm into are The Alpha Couple, Go Crash Audio, Straylight Run, Field Music, Mae, UnderOath, The Almost, Saves the Day, The Classic Crime, Anberlin, Paramore, Eyes Set to Kill, Jack's Mannequin, The Fratellis, Marty Sampson,

Weird mix, if I say so myself. Straylight Run, Mae, Saves the Day, are sandwiching Underoath, haha.

terribletowel39
04-09-2007, 04:03 PM

i don't think if it is played once but when was the last time you heard a band played on the radio once?? only reason a band/song is played on the radio once, is if it is some type of battle with another band/song. usually a song is played on the radio multiple times a minute and forced upon most public just because if the radio is playing it, it must be good stuff.

SuperKevin
04-09-2007, 04:04 PM
The song I'm currently obsessed with is "hey There Delilah" by Plain White T's because it pretty much puts into words the way I feel about my wife. it's going to be played when i have my official ceremony in August

Shiver
04-09-2007, 04:05 PM

I don't think so. It also depends on the radio station. If you want an example of a band going "mainstream," to direct your attention to American Idiot, by Green Day. I think I heard Boulevard of Broken Dreams 5,000 times in a one year span, just off the radio and T.V.

terribletowel39
04-09-2007, 04:06 PM
The song I'm currently obsessed with is "hey There Delilah" by Plain White T's because it pretty much puts into words the way I feel about my wife. it's going to be played when i have my official ceremony in August

that is a great song. the guy was meant to sing that song.

Vikes99ej
04-09-2007, 04:09 PM
Weird mix, if I say so myself. Straylight Run, Mae, Saves the Day, are sandwiching Underoath, haha.

Is that a double entendre?

Shiver
04-09-2007, 04:09 PM
thank you. there's a vast difference between, say Rites of Spring and worthless MTV band X.

I too hate the ******* "emo" label thrown out by anyone who doesn't like any music that (a) isn't rap, or (b) is new music therefore it is only listened to by "emo's," or (c) it's not metal.

terribletowel39
04-09-2007, 04:12 PM
Is that a double entendre?

haha its very close. but i'm sure many of us like different bands from different spectrums of the music galaxy. <---that sounded geeky.

Vikes99ej
04-09-2007, 04:14 PM
haha its very close. but i'm sure many of us like different bands from different spectrums of the music galaxy. <---that sounded geeky.

Like, for me, Coldplay and Danzig.

ncst8fan83
04-09-2007, 04:15 PM
i find it interesting some of the things people are calling "new". std? new? come on, their best stuff is almost a decade old.

they will actually be 10 years old a week from tomorrow. I don't care for their pre-"in reverie" stuff, but that's just my nitpicking i suppose. their use of chord progressions is amazing, imo. they're not afraid to play diminished, augmented, 9ths, or 7ths, which in this day and age is astounding. I hate the G-C-Em-D crap everyone plays. With that said, I wouldn't lump them into the prior bands I listed as I don't think they're really on par with them from an influential standpoint.

Also, I know a lot of people don't care for him, but John Mayer is one of the most accomplished guitarists of this generation. He's not a Clapton, SRV, or Hendrix, but he is very VERY good.

draftguru151
04-09-2007, 04:16 PM
I don't think so. It also depends on the radio station. If you want an example of a band going "mainstream," to direct your attention to American Idiot, by Green Day. I think I heard Boulevard of Broken Dreams 5,000 times in a one year span, just off the radio and T.V.

Really ruined Green Day. They were so good then their crap gets on the radio all the time. I can't stand radio. I don't think I've listened to anything on the radio other than sports in the last year.

terribletowel39
04-09-2007, 04:16 PM
Like, for me, Coldplay and Danzig.

from what i hear of Danzig, thats a very good example, from homoerotic to satanic. very good mix.

frogstomp
04-09-2007, 04:17 PM
I've always liked Matt Good and actually he was the first concert I have ever seen. You mentioned all of my favourite songs of his.

You get +rep for being the only person on this board who has heard of him, other than me.

terribletowel39
04-09-2007, 04:18 PM
they will actually be 10 years old a week from tomorrow. I don't care for their pre-"in reverie" stuff, but that's just my nitpicking i suppose. their use of chord progressions is amazing, imo. they're not afraid to play diminished, augmented, 9ths, or 7ths, which in this day and age is astounding. I hate the G-C-Em-D crap everyone plays. With that said, I wouldn't lump them into the prior bands I listed as I don't think they're really on par with them from an influential standpoint.

Also, I know a lot of people don't care for him, but John Mayer is one of the most accomplished guitarists of this generation. He's not a Clapton, SRV, or Hendrix, but he is very VERY good.

this is true. thats why i am pumped up for the show here in dallas when Folds opens for him. i get to see one of the best at piano and best a guitar, presently in one night.

terribletowel39
04-09-2007, 04:20 PM
so i've got my music shuffling right now and Mr. Johnny Cash started playing. what genre would you consider him in??

Vikes99ej
04-09-2007, 04:23 PM
so i've got my music shuffling right now and Mr. Johnny Cash started playing. what genre would you consider him in??

Ummmm... country?

Shiver
or d) it's not 50 Cent.

I thought that is what "(a) isn't rap" was supposed to cover. http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif

ncst8fan83
if you get any given thursday, listen to covered in rain, i believe is the song. it's on youtube, the song off the dvd. amazing. give me a second and i'll find it for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89L86yWdWkg

terribletowel39
04-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Ummmm... country?

well in that case i guess i do like some country even though i think he would have to have rock somewhere in the genre title, country rock or rockin' country. something like that.

terribletowel39
04-09-2007, 04:27 PM
i didn't realize rap fans claimed him as a rap artist...

i also can't read.

i don't think real rap fans do consider him an artist. so in a way d) was a plausible multiple choice option.

Freddy G
04-09-2007, 04:32 PM
More of a metal head myself, but Red Hot Chili Peppers are one of my favorites.

Also, is it just me or is that guy from Mika (or is he Mika) a Freddy Mercury clone? I know it is more pop, but they sound very similar...which is saying a lot.

draftguru151
04-09-2007, 04:32 PM
My favorites are the RX Bandits (by far my favorite), NFG, Alkaline Trio, Armor for Sleep, Blink 182, Brand New, Catch 22, Jimmy Eat World, Motion City Soundtrack, Reel Big Fish, Taking Back Sunday, Weezer, The Ataris, and of course, the Beatles.

Shiver
04-09-2007, 04:39 PM
I think my favorite band is whatever band has had Omar Rodriguez, and Cedric Bixler. At the Drive-In was my favorite band of the late 90s, as a Post-Hardcore punk band. Now they are The Mars Volta, which is a completely different, though still very cool, progressive rock band.

SuperKevin
04-09-2007, 04:42 PM
My favorites are the RX Bandits (by far my favorite), NFG, Alkaline Trio, Armor for Sleep, Blink 182, Brand New, Catch 22, Jimmy Eat World, Motion City Soundtrack, Reel Big Fish, Taking Back Sunday, Weezer, The Ataris, and of course, the Beatles.

That is an amazing list right there and I agree 100%

Shiver
04-09-2007, 04:47 PM
Mars Volta was much cooler when their songs were like, songs, and not random collections of 8 minutes of bizarre noise with 30 seconds of good guitar and vox somewhere in the middle (yes, i hated Frances the Mute).

Yeah, I didn't care for Frances the Mute. I only liked two of the CD's four songs. By the way, I think you are referencing the 32:00+ song. De-loused in the Comatorium was fantastic, Amputechture was solid.

slightlyaraiderfan
04-09-2007, 04:51 PM
Mars Volta was much cooler when their songs were like, songs, and not random collections of 8 minutes of bizarre noise with 30 seconds of good guitar and vox somewhere in the middle (yes, i hated Frances the Mute).
I agree, I enjoyed the first Mars album...Frances was very eh.

Vikes99ej
04-09-2007, 04:53 PM
Another group I like is 30 Seconds to Mars.

draftguru151
04-09-2007, 04:56 PM
That is an amazing list right there and I agree 100%

You a RX Bandits fan? Don't find many of those.

Shiver
04-09-2007, 04:56 PM

In other words you just used the "well speaking of Mars, how about another band that has 'Mars' in the name..." transition.

terribletowel39
04-09-2007, 04:57 PM

to me they are like that one hit wonder band, i only like one of there songs and it slips my mind right now. what about Cartel?? anybody like them??

SuperKevin
04-09-2007, 04:58 PM
to me they are like that one hit wonder band, i only like one of there songs and it slips my mind right now. what about Cartel?? anybody like them??

I really like Cartel. I have their whole CD on my iPod

Vikes99ej
In other words you just used the "well speaking of Mars, how about another band that has 'Mars' in the name..." transition.

No... I just forgot to include on my list of bands I like. Didn't Mars Volta make that music video where people were bleeding oil?

P-L
Wow. Where do I start?

80's Metal
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Guns N Roses
Anthrax
Megadeth
Twisted Sister

Early 90's / Grunge
Bush
Nirvana
Alice in Chains
Pearl Jam
Soundgarden

Classic Punk
RAMONES
Sex Pistols
The Clash
Dead Kennedys
Rancid
Operation Ivey
Green Day

Alternative/Pop-Punk/Indie
The Killers
Angels & Airwaves
Jimmy Eat World
Panic! at the Disco
Motion City Soundtrack

I've left off waaaaaaay too many, but this should do for now.

terribletowel39
04-09-2007, 04:59 PM
I really like Cartel. I have their whole CD on my iPod

yea i really like that Minsterl's Prayer song. for someone it pushes all the right buttons.

draftguru151
04-09-2007, 04:59 PM
Anyone else a fan of Fall Out Boy?

Anyone else miss size 0 font?

Shiver
04-09-2007, 05:00 PM
No... I just forgot to include on my list of bands I like. Didn't Mars Volta make that music video where people were bleeding oil?

Yeah, from the very 'meh..' album, Frances the Mute.

jets future
you guys are slurps

SuperKevin

I did like them but their new cd just bugs me for some reason. I don't know why

terribletowel39
04-09-2007, 05:01 PM

i am a fan of there old stuff but a bigger fan of there new stuff. every song on the new CD is awesome.

Vikes99ej

I am, and I'm not afraid to say it.

P-L
Fall Out Boy has been pretty bad, but a lot of their critics are too hard on them. There are a lot of bands that are much worse, who don't get half the crap they do. Oh well...

SuperKevin
you guys are slurps

Thank you.

slightlyaraiderfan
04-09-2007, 05:02 PM
you guys are slurps
Go listen to some 50 cent.

Shiver
Go listen to some 50 cent.

He's just jealous that the Rock thread is catching up with the Rap thread. Mostly because there is more depth to the genre, with plenty of diverse sub-genres.

draftguru151
Yea, I was being sarcastic. I really can't stand them.

Vikes99ej
04-09-2007, 05:03 PM
Wow. Where do I start?

80's Metal
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Guns N Roses
Anthrax
Megadeth
Twisted Sister

Early 90's / Grunge
Bush
Nirvana
Alice in Chains
Pearl Jam
Soundgarden

Classic Punk
RAMONES
Sex Pistols
The Clash
Dead Kennedys
Rancid
Operation Ivey
Green Day

Alternative/Pop-Punk/Indie
The Killers
Angels & Airwaves
Jimmy Eat World
Panic! at the Disco
Motion City Soundtrack

I've left off waaaaaaay too many, but this should do for now.

I like The Killers. I listen to every track on Sam's Town religously.

P-L
04-09-2007, 05:03 PM
i am a fan of there old stuff but a bigger fan of there new stuff. every song on the new CD is awesome.
I'm completely opposite. I was a HUGE Fall Out Boy fan when they put out "Take This to Your Grave" and were still unknown by most people. Then they put out "From Under the Cork Tree" and it was very 'bleh' to me. A few good songs, but I was very disappointing. Their latest album was awful in my opinion.

terribletowel39
04-09-2007, 05:04 PM
you guys are slurps

sorry we all don't like rap and cup are jewels as we walk around.

terribletowel39
04-09-2007, 05:05 PM
I'm completely opposite. I was a HUGE Fall Out Boy fan when they put out "Take This to Your Grave" and were still unknown by most people. Then they put out "From Under the Cork Tree" and it was very 'bleh' to me. A few good songs, but I was very disappointing. Their latest album was awful in my opinion.

i guess it is all just preference. i like the poppy sometimes jazzy feel of the new stuff.

SuperKevin

Quoted for Truth here. Grand Theft Autumn is my favorite Fall Out boy song

Vikes99ej
What in the hell is a slurp?

terribletowel39
04-09-2007, 05:07 PM
What in the hell is a slurp?

probably some DA term he heard in a rap song and decided that it was a derogatory name for someone who doesn't like rap.

draftguru151
04-09-2007, 05:08 PM

Every time I hear dance dance I want to shoot myself in the face.

Vikes99ej
04-09-2007, 05:09 PM
probably some DA term he heard in a rap song and decided that it was a derogatory name for someone who doesn't like rap.

Oh. Well that's fun.

chief_fan88
04-09-2007, 05:11 PM
Whats wrong with groups that get played on the radio? i can understand some of the stuff, like i agree with Green Days new stuff, i really cant stand it, but someone listed Saliva, Three Days Grace and Breaking Benjamin, they're all pretty good groups, actually Breaking Benjamin is one of my favorites.

Incubus is my favorite group, got to agree with Make Yourself, thats my alltime favorite CD. Right now in my CD player i have that cd, Morning View, and Light Gernades, i also have Hoobastank - Every Man For Himself, and The Offsprings Greatest Hits.

These are some groups ive been listening to a lot recently Killswitch Engage, Sevendust, Static - X, Seemless, Diecast, OTEP, Slipknot, Nonpoint, Stone Sour, Tool, Life Of Agony, Blue October, 10 Years, From Autumn to Ashes, Tantric, Chevelle, Burden Brothers, Hellyeah, Skindred, Bloodsimple, Mastodon, Revelation Theory, Red, Finger Eleven, Queens of the Stone age, Lacuna Coil, Evans Blue, Fighting Instinct, The Almost, Black Label Society, Corrosion of Conformity, Filter, Army of Anyone, Fastball, Skillet, Eighteen Visions, Pillar, Clutch, Submersed, The Exies, Strata, Spiracell, lol sorry for such a long list, i just started typing and they all just started hitting me. And what category would everyone consider Lenny Kravitz under?

terribletowel39
04-09-2007, 05:12 PM
Whats wrong with groups that get played on the radio? i can understand some of the stuff, like i agree with Green Days new stuff, i really cant stand it, but someone listed Saliva, Three Days Grace and Breaking Benjamin, they're all pretty good groups, actually Breaking Benjamin is one of my favorites.

Incubus is my favorite group, got to agree with Make Yourself, thats my alltime favorite CD. Right now in my CD player i have that cd, Morning View, and Light Gernades, i also have Hoobastank - Every Man For Himself, and The Offsprings Greatest Hits.

These are some groups ive been listening to a lot recently Killswitch Engage, Sevendust, Static - X, Seemless, Diecast, OTEP, Slipknot, Nonpoint, Stone Sour, Tool, Life Of Agony, Blue October, 10 Years, From Autumn to Ashes, Tantric, Chevelle, Burden Brothers, Hellyeah, Skindred, Bloodsimple, Mastodon, Revelation Theory, Red, Finger Eleven, Queens of the Stone age, Lacuna Coil, Evans Blue, Fighting Instinct, The Almost, Black Label Society, Corrosion of Conformity, Filter, Army of Anyone, Fastball, Skillet, Eighteen Visions, Pillar, Clutch, Submersed, The Exies, Strata, Spiracell, lol sorry for such a long list, i just started typing and they all just started hitting me. And what category would everyone consider Lenny Kravitz under?

Kravitz would be under the category of sex. :D

Shiver
04-09-2007, 05:16 PM
Since Danman is banned, I will have to pimp My Chemical Romance in his honor.

SuperKevin
04-09-2007, 05:17 PM

Another band I used to really like but has been killed by trendy overplay on the radio

terribletowel39
04-09-2007, 05:19 PM
anybody like the Daughtry guy?? is labeled as rock. just thought i would throw that out.

Shiver
04-09-2007, 05:19 PM
Another band I used to really like but has been killed by trendy overplay on the radio

I still like them, their 1st and 3rd albums, that is. T.C.F.S.R was pretty mellow, and radio friendly, in comparison.

Vikes99ej
04-09-2007, 05:20 PM

I love them, too. One of their songs has topped the Most Often Played playlist for as long as I've had my Ipod. I've liked them for a few years, now.

terribletowel39
04-09-2007, 05:24 PM
I love them, too. One of their songs has topped the Most Often Played playlist for as long as I've had my Ipod. I've liked them for a few years, now.

its funny cuz as i am reading these they start playing in the shuffle i am listening to here at work. To the End is the song going on right now.

draftguru151
04-09-2007, 05:26 PM
I really can't stand them either, lol.

Vikes99ej
04-09-2007, 05:28 PM
I really can't stand them either, lol.

Everyone has their own tastes. I hope you're not saying you don't like them just because they get airplay on the radio and MTV.

Titans10
04-09-2007, 05:34 PM

Word...Incubus is definatly my favorite also, im constantly listening to one of their CD's

jag
04-09-2007, 05:36 PM
If Rap gets its own thread, then this should be a thread. I am a large rock music aficionado. I like a wide ranging spectrum of music.

Bands I like, off the top of my head:

80s

Queen
Pink Floyd
Joy Division
Faith No More
Depeche Mode
U2
The Cure

90s

Nirvana
Rage Against the Machine
At the Drive-In
Green Day
Red Hot Chili Peppers
System of a Down
Deftones
Radiohead
Foo Fighters

00s

Thursday
Brand New
Brazil
Mars Volta
Incubus
Thrice
AFI
Cursive
Alkaline Trio
Glassjaw
Finch
Circa Survive
My Chemical Romance

I know I missed a bunch, anyway, this is to kick things off. I am going to do my best to champion this thread.

I wanted to make love to you as soon as I saw you put the Foo Fighters on any list.

slightlyaraiderfan
04-09-2007, 05:38 PM
I'm currently listening to Jawbreaker, they're one of my fav 90's band...so many good songs.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
04-09-2007, 05:51 PM
Eh... I'll expand on my list. I'm going to leave so much out...

70s/80s:
Steely Dan
Van Halen
Bruce Springsteen
Warren Zevon
Peter Frampton
ZZ Top
KISS
The Police
Styx
Rush
Pink Floyd
Bad Company
CCR & John Fogerty solo
Eagles & Don Henley solo

90s:
Soundgarden
Alice in Chains
Live
Bush
Everclear
Spacehog
Pearl Jam
Stone Temple Pilots
Foo Fighters
Creed (...yeah, so?)

Edit - Whoooo! 1000 posts for the second time! And still nobody cares... :(

terribletowel39
04-09-2007, 05:52 PM
yo saints fan have you ever heard of Marc Broussard?? blues rockish guy out of carencro, la.

Vikes99ej
04-09-2007, 05:53 PM
I love listening to Queen once in a while, too.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
04-09-2007, 05:54 PM
yo saints fan have you ever heard of Marc Broussard?? blues rockish guy out of carencro, la.

Of course. I've seen him live a few times. I've seen him make a surprise appearance with the Molly Ringwalds (80s cover band) and sing Purple Rain better than Prince sang Purple Rain. Damn, forgot to list Prince on my favorites.

terribletowel39
04-09-2007, 05:56 PM
Of course. I've seen him live a few times. I've seen him make a surprise appearance with the Molly Ringwalds (80s cover band) and sing Purple Rain better than Prince sang Purple Rain. Damn, forgot to list Prince on my favorites.

i have no doubt he can sing Purple Rain better than Prince. i'd love to see the dude live, it doesn't seem like he gets out of LA much though. i love his song Home.

draftguru151
04-09-2007, 06:08 PM
Everyone has their own tastes. I hope you're not saying you don't like them just because they get airplay on the radio and MTV.

No, but it makes them that much worse IMO. Really not a fan of pop punk (even the new NFG stuff).

Vikes99ej
04-09-2007, 06:17 PM
No, but it makes them that much worse IMO. Really not a fan of pop punk (even the new NFG stuff).

The way, if a band is played on the radio, that just means a lot of people enjoy listening to their music. I don't know how it makes a group worse if it's played on the radio. I guess people just get sick of hearing the song?

Shiver
04-09-2007, 06:22 PM
The way, if a band is played on the radio, that just means a lot of people enjoy listening to their music. I don't know how it makes a group worse if it's played on the radio. I guess people just get sick of hearing the song?

That isn't the problem. What is, is when musicians start making songs with radio play in mind. That's when quality starts to diminish, significantly.

draftguru151
04-09-2007, 06:24 PM
Eh, IDK, most mainstream stuff bugs me, I really can't stand the radio.

draftguru151
04-09-2007, 06:25 PM
That isn't the problem. What is, is when musicians start making songs with radio play in mind. That's when quality starts to diminish, significantly.

That explains it well.

Shiver apply for the forum mock, actually just tell me if you want the Falcons.

Vikes99ej
04-09-2007, 06:25 PM

I personally don't think MCR had that in mind when they made their latest CD.

Shiver
04-09-2007, 06:27 PM
I personally don't think MCR had that in mind when they made their latest CD.

Exactly, which is why I really like The Black Parade.

Vikes99ej
04-09-2007, 06:30 PM
Exactly, which is why I really like The Black Parade.

What is your favorite song off of it?

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
04-09-2007, 06:41 PM
i have no doubt he can sing Purple Rain better than Prince. i'd love to see the dude live, it doesn't seem like he gets out of LA much though. i love his song Home.

He played in Austin, TX just last month, but I don't know how close to you that is. He does play a lot of shows in New Orleans and here in Lafayette (Carencro is right on the outskirts of Lafayette), but he gets around pretty well. He also played a show at the Hard Rock in NYC last month.

Shiver
04-09-2007, 06:41 PM
What is your favorite song off of it?

Probably "The Sharpest Lives."

Vikes99ej
04-09-2007, 06:45 PM
Probably "The Sharpest Lives."

That's a good one. My fave's definitely Famous Last Words.

Shiver
04-09-2007, 06:53 PM
Now I've adjusted my first list, because this thread has started off better than anticipated. No longer do I have to cater to the masses, just to start conversation.

drowe
04-09-2007, 07:04 PM
Eh... I'll expand on my list. I'm going to leave so much out...

70s/80s:
Steely Dan
Van Halen
Bruce Springsteen
Warren Zevon
Peter Frampton
ZZ Top
KISS
The Police
Styx
Rush
Pink Floyd
Bad Company
CCR & John Fogerty solo
Eagles & Don Henley solo

90s:
Soundgarden
Alice in Chains
Live
Bush
Everclear
Spacehog
Pearl Jam
Stone Temple Pilots
Foo Fighters
Creed (...yeah, so?)

Edit - Whoooo! 1000 posts for the second time! And still nobody cares... :(

yeah, i like your taste in music. i was starting to think i was the only Live fan left. also, Van Halen rocks, but it'd be better (imo) if you added (not Van Hagar).

not a rush fan, but at least you didn't list Def Leppard. they are by far my least favorite band ever.

Vikes99ej
04-09-2007, 07:10 PM
I'm interested to hear how Linkin Park's new CD sounds.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
04-09-2007, 07:18 PM
yeah, i like your taste in music. i was starting to think i was the only Live fan left. also, Van Halen rocks, but it'd be better (imo) if you added (not Van Hagar).

not a rush fan, but at least you didn't list Def Leppard. they are by far my least favorite band ever.

Yeah, I didn't particularly enjoy the Sammy Hagar years either, to say the least. Although I think "Why Can't This be Love" is catchy... everybody knows that VH made all their great stuff during the David Lee Roth era.

As for Def Leppard... ugh.

terribletowel39
04-09-2007, 07:49 PM
He played in Austin, TX just last month, but I don't know how close to you that is. He does play a lot of shows in New Orleans and here in Lafayette (Carencro is right on the outskirts of Lafayette), but he gets around pretty well. He also played a show at the Hard Rock in NYC last month.

meh, austin is like a 3-4 hr drive. i'm next to dallas. yea i used to live in LA, i just moved out here, so thats how i am hip to him. i need to look at his shows and see when he is nearest next.

ncst8fan83
04-09-2007, 08:29 PM
while there are many MANY downfalls to myspace, it has helped me broaden my musical horizons lightyears from where it was just a couple years ago. you can find so many great bands who won't sniff a record label b/c they don't fit the money making mold. I don't think you have to sign up to view/listen to the music section on myspace, and if you haven't been there yet, i'd greatly encourage it.

Shiver
04-09-2007, 09:46 PM
I'm interested to hear how Linkin Park's new CD sounds.

I have a 'love/hate' relationship with Linkin Park. I like their songs when they don't have that much rap, or have Jay Z doing to actual rapping parts.

Vikes99ej
04-09-2007, 09:55 PM
I have a 'love/hate' relationship with Linkin Park. I like their songs when they don't have that much rap, or have Jay Z doing to actual rapping parts.

Their new song is pretty good.

BuckNaked
04-09-2007, 09:58 PM

I am on more of a just hate relationship with Linkin Park.

chief_fan88
04-09-2007, 10:07 PM
while there are many MANY downfalls to myspace, it has helped me broaden my musical horizons lightyears from where it was just a couple years ago. you can find so many great bands who won't sniff a record label b/c they don't fit the money making mold. I don't think you have to sign up to view/listen to the music section on myspace, and if you haven't been there yet, i'd greatly encourage it.

Yea definitly agree with that, thats the biggest reason i get on there is for the music, you can find TONS of good groups no ones ever heard of.....actually i will use this time to shamelessly plug a local rock group lol. I think they're pretty good as of right now, they play at quite a few different places around Wichita, KS (dont know if any of you know where that is) which is a decent size city, but anyway heres the link, and their name is Mind Decay

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=39396496

snuff
04-09-2007, 10:07 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=R0YUA3yTUss

sweetness34
04-09-2007, 10:51 PM
My Top 15 Favorite Bands: (I'm more of a modern guy)

1) Staind
2) Sevendust
3) Breaking Benjamin
4) Linkin Park
5) Trapt
6) Red Hot Chilli Peppers
7) Blink 182
8) Chevelle
9) Disturbed
10) Creed
11) ACDC
12) Led Zeppelin
13) Queen
14) Alter Bridge
15) Crossfade

My Top 15 Favorite Songs:

1) It's Been a While - Staind
2) Headstrong - Trapt
3) The Red - Chevelle
4) Down with the Sickness - Disturbed
5) So Cold - Breaking Benjamin
6) Dani California - RHCP
7) Outside - Staind
8) Sober - Tool (also Staind has a great cover of the song)
9) Back in Black - ACDC
10) Crawling - Linkin Park
11) In the End - Linkin Park
12) Higher - Creed
13) What If - Creed
14) Stairway to Heaven - LZ
15) Enemy - Sevendust

McBain
04-09-2007, 11:20 PM
yeah, here's some of my faves...

Classic

Zepplin
Pink Floyd
The Beatles
Queen
The Eagles
The James Marshall Hendrix Experience
Creedence

Current-ish

Nirvana
RHCP
Muse
MOdest MOuse
Minus the Bear
MIdtown
Manchester Orchestra -absolutely the raddest indie band ever... definetly check them out.
Ben Folds Five
The Amber Pacific
Third Eye Blind
Thrice
THursday
Unwritten Law
The Used
Weezer
The White Stripes
Wolfmother
TakinbackSunday
Brand NEw
Straylight Run
Tenacious D
Sum 41
Sunny Day Real Estate
Sublime
Something Corporate
Shiney Toy Guns
Smashing Pumpkins
Silverstien
Saves the Day
Ru Fi O
Blink
Death Cab
the early nov
FInch
foo fighters
Green Day
Incubus
Jack Johnson
Jimmy Eat World
the Killers
Muse

New Stuff

Kaiser Chiefs
Fratellis
Cold War Kids

Nightmares Win 6-0
04-10-2007, 12:02 AM
random awesome bands from my ipod (my personal favorites in bold)...

A Perfect Circle
A Static Lullaby
AFI
Aiden
Alexisonfire
Alkaline Trio
Armor for Sleep
As I Lay Dying
At the Drive-in
Bayside
Between the Buried and Me
The Bled
Blessthefall
Boys Night Out
Bullet For My Valentine
Chiodos
Circa Survive
The Clash
Danzig
Dead Kennedys
Deftones
Emanuel
Emery
Every Time I Die
Face to Face
From Autumn to Ashes
Funeral for a Friend
It Dies Today
Led Zeppelin
Lynyrd Skynyrd
The Mars Volta
The Misfits
Norma Jean
Pantera
RATM
The Ramones
Reggie & the Full Effect
Rise Against
Saosin
Senses Fail
Showbread
Silverstein
So They Say
Sparta
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Taking Back Sunday
Thrice
Thursday
Tool
Underoath
The Used

screamo FTW...

snuff
04-10-2007, 12:04 AM
2) Headstrong - Trapt

I happen to be listening to this song... I must say I have no idea why its on my computer and its pretty ******. Bush - Glycerin is much better.

The best rock songs are:
CCR - Fortunate Son
Steppinwolfe - Magic Carpet Ride
Led Zepplin - Kashmir

VoteLynnSwan
04-10-2007, 12:07 AM
Anyone who doesn't have Muse on their list of favorite bands must be insane...

Seriously, there's no modern band that can match the Musicianship of Muse.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qZrxVng6YBc
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2VRu6dWYvVE
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZyLx0qc_gKc
http://youtube.com/watch?v=KdF6KxTMJaE

tEk
04-10-2007, 12:15 AM
My Top 15 Favorite Bands: (I'm more of a modern guy)

1) Staind
2) Sevendust
3) Breaking Benjamin
4) Linkin Park
5) Trapt
6) Red Hot Chilli Peppers
7) Blink 182
8) Chevelle
9) Disturbed
10) Creed
11) ACDC
12) Led Zeppelin
13) Queen
14) Alter Bridge
15) Crossfade

My Top 15 Favorite Songs:

1) It's Been a While - Staind
2) Headstrong - Trapt
3) The Red - Chevelle
4) Down with the Sickness - Disturbed
5) So Cold - Breaking Benjamin
6) Dani California - RHCP
7) Outside - Staind
8) Sober - Tool (also Staind has a great cover of the song)
9) Back in Black - ACDC
10) Crawling - Linkin Park
11) In the End - Linkin Park
12) Higher - Creed
13) What If - Creed
14) Stairway to Heaven - LZ
15) Enemy - Sevendustim sorry sweetness. but creed and staind are not ok in my book. if you like em fine but i do not enjoy them at all. but some of the others your have are great.

KCJ58
04-10-2007, 12:17 AM
Classic:

Rush - Tom Saywer
The Scorpions - The Zoo
Cream - White Room

tEk
04-10-2007, 12:19 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=R0YUA3yTUssSnuff knows. All great rock bands were influenced by Chuck and the like.

Titans10
04-10-2007, 12:35 AM
some of my favorites, in some sort of an order

Incubus
RHCP
The Mars Volta
Muse
Sublime
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Radiohead
Sigur Ros
Death Cab for Cutie
Coldplay
Coheed & Cambria
CCR
DAve Matthews
The Killers
My Morning Jakcet
Three Days Grace
Breaking Benjamin

Bigbadbob72
04-10-2007, 02:37 AM
its all about dream theater and ACDC.

McBain
04-10-2007, 05:26 AM

A Perfect Circle
A Static Lullaby
AFI
Aiden
Alexisonfire
Alkaline Trio
Armor for Sleep
As I Lay Dying
At the Drive-in
Bayside
The Bled
Blessthefall
Boys Night Out
Bullet For My Valentine
Chiodos
Circa Survive
The Clash
Danzig
Dead Kennedys
Deftones
Emanuel
Emery
Every Time I Die
Face to Face
From Autumn to Ashes
Funeral for a Friend
It Dies Today
Led Zeppelin
Lynyrd Skynyrd
The Mars Volta
The Misfits
Norma Jean
Pantera
RATM
The Ramones
Reggie & the Full Effect
Rise Against
Saosin
Senses Fail
Showbread
Silverstein
So They Say
Sparta
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Taking Back Sunday
Thrice
Thursday
Tool
Underoath
The Used

screamo FTW...

I agree with many of your screamo bands... esp the used and silverstein.... good call.

SuperKevin
04-10-2007, 08:06 AM

A Perfect Circle
A Static Lullaby
AFI
Aiden
Alexisonfire
Alkaline Trio
Armor for Sleep
As I Lay Dying
At the Drive-in
Bayside
The Bled
Blessthefall
Boys Night Out
Bullet For My Valentine
Chiodos
Circa Survive
The Clash
Danzig
Dead Kennedys
Deftones
Emanuel
Emery
Every Time I Die
Face to Face
From Autumn to Ashes
Funeral for a Friend
It Dies Today
Led Zeppelin
Lynyrd Skynyrd
The Mars Volta
The Misfits
Norma Jean
Pantera
RATM
The Ramones
Reggie & the Full Effect
Rise Against
Saosin
Senses Fail
Showbread
Silverstein
So They Say
Sparta
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Taking Back Sunday
Thrice
Thursday
Tool
Underoath
The Used

screamo FTW...

Excellent playlist right there

Jughead10
04-10-2007, 09:05 AM
someone explain to me why nirvana, a band that did the same thing a number of other bands were doing at the same time and just had the benefit of making MTV, is on anyone's top xx list. i have zero interest in debating your musical taste for once, but they are, imo, an exceptionally boring group, musically. be specific.

The benefit of making MTV? Perhaps there was a reason they made MTV.

Jughead10
04-10-2007, 09:09 AM
screaming teenage girls? if you're implying MTV might've once played good music because it's good music...

I was a bit younger back then but when Nirvana hit I don't remember a ton of screaming teenage girls. At least not where I'm from. And MTV wasn't nearly as bad back then as it is now.

Jughead10
04-10-2007, 09:23 AM
I'm just saying in the early 90's a lot of good bands got played on MTV. And I wouldn't say they just had the benefit of being played on the station.

EdReedUnstoppable
04-10-2007, 09:41 AM
This is more of a Metal thing but Hell Yeah's debut cd came out today and it is a badass must have!!

HellYeah if ya don't know is a metal Supergroup with:

Chad Gray (Mudvayne) - Vocals
Greg Tribbett (Mudvayne) - Guitar
Tom Maxwell (nothingface) - Guitar
Jerry Montano (nothingface/The Deadlights) - Bass
Vinnie Paul (Pantera/Damageplan) - Drums

If this was already discussed I apologize, but get the dam cd friggin great!!

Vikes99ej
04-10-2007, 10:27 AM

Map of the Problematique is one of my favorite songs.

terribletowel39
04-10-2007, 10:29 AM

as mentioned before, the ben folds band can sure hold there own when it comes to musicianship.

drowe
04-10-2007, 11:41 AM
someone explain to me why nirvana, a band that did the same thing a number of other bands were doing at the same time and just had the benefit of making MTV, is on anyone's top xx list. i have zero interest in debating your musical taste for once, but they are, imo, an exceptionally boring group, musically. be specific.

ya know, i tend to agree. they were the one big band of the early-mid 90's that i never got into. when they put out a greatest hits album a few years ago, i felt obligated to buy it....but that is the only thing i own by them, and i very rarely listen to it. just kinda drab and boring.

i have always liked that kind of music and mabye nirvanna woulda gotten better if courtney didn't kill kurt.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
04-10-2007, 11:46 AM
ya know, i tend to agree. they were the one big band of the early-mid 90's that i never got into. when they put out a greatest hits album a few years ago, i felt obligated to buy it....but that is the only thing i own by them, and i very rarely listen to it. just kinda drab and boring.

i have always liked that kind of music and mabye nirvanna woulda gotten better if courtney didn't kill kurt.

Maybe Nirvana would have been better if Dave Grohl would have been their frontman instead of Cobain. I have never liked Cobain, and always liked Grohl. Maybe that's just me...

drowe
04-10-2007, 11:50 AM
Maybe Nirvana would have been better if Dave Grohl would have been their frontman instead of Cobain. I have never liked Cobain, and always liked Grohl. Maybe that's just me...

yeah, that's easy to say now. Grohl has really made something of himself...but back in the day, they were all a bunch whiney bitches.

Nightmares Win 6-0
04-10-2007, 12:04 PM
has anybody here heard of city and colour? i bought "sometimes" today and it's amazing...

Nightmares Win 6-0
04-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Anybody here like The Bled?

*raises hand*

pass the flask was awesome...

found in the flood was ok...

Nightmares Win 6-0
04-10-2007, 12:12 PM
dallas green's side project? it's not bad. some of it's a bit repetitive.

i'm impressed that you actually know who dallas green is...

imo, he is supremely talented, but he's a bit of a douchebag...

i can see how you think it's repetitive, but i think it's a welcome departure from alexisonfire...

he has a few covers of aof songs that are just incredible...

swagger
04-10-2007, 12:28 PM
I just went to Chris Cornell's first show of his tour on Easter. Freakin' awesome, nothing I can really say about it, except "wow".

Favorite rock bands, hmmm. Mostly Seattle grunge, and bands so-many-degrees from Cornell and RATM. A quick list:

RATM
Soundgarden
Audioslave
Alice In Chains
Jimi Hendrix
Pearl Jam
Led Zeppelin
Deep Purple
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Seether
Temple of the Dog (one off)
Black Sabbath
Cream / Clapton
Metallica
Stone Temple Pilots

Some of those might be more metal than rock, but the crap that is considered rock on the radio today is so embarrassing that I will lump these together. I also like the System of a Down, Chili Peppers, Nirvana, AC/DC, Burning Brides, Tool (though I think they are overrated), Foo Fighters, GNR, Mother Love Bone, Velvet Revolver / Weiland, Wolfmother, Black Market Radio, The Recanteurs, Mad Season, many more. I also think Chris Daughtry's voice is pretty damn impressive, which is worth mentioning.

terribletowel39
04-10-2007, 12:32 PM
I just went to Chris Cornell's first show of his tour on Easter. Freakin' awesome, nothing I can really say about it, except "wow".

Favorite rock bands, hmmm. Mostly Seattle grunge, and bands so-many-degrees from Cornell and RATM. A quick list:

RATM
Soundgarden
Audioslave
Alice In Chains
Jimi Hendrix
Pearl Jam
Led Zeppelin
Deep Purple
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Seether
Temple of the Dog (one off)
Black Sabbath
Cream / Clapton
Metallica
Stone Temple Pilots

Some of those might be more metal than rock, but the crap that is considered rock on the radio today is so embarrassing that I will lump these together. I also like the System of a Down, Chili Peppers, Nirvana, AC/DC, Burning Brides, Tool (though I think they are overrated), Foo Fighters, GNR, Mother Love Bone, Velvet Revolver / Weiland, Wolfmother, Black Market Radio, The Recanteurs, Mad Season, many more. I also think Chris Daughtry's voice is pretty damn impressive, which is worth mentioning.

i agree with both of those. i like A Perfect Circle, way better than Tool, Maynard seems to write better stuff when he plays with them. and Daughtry does have a damn good voice, kinda reminds me of some band's lead singer but the band's name is eluding me at the moment. EDIT: Nickelback. thats the bands name. :D

snuff
04-10-2007, 01:01 PM
Hes not really rock, but does anyone listen to Donavon Frankereiter?

Shiver
04-10-2007, 02:10 PM

Nirvana is looked upon with such admiration, due to the fact that they were solely responsible to the death of the 80s Hair Metal. Their popularity really ushered in the modern rock era. Whether or not you like their musical talents, the impact they had is undeniable. Sure other bands were doing similar things, they weren't the spearheading the musical change like Nirvana was. Not to mention, Cobain's death added to their mythology. Death, in general, leads to posthumous fame.

TH3
04-10-2007, 02:12 PM
If Eddie Vedder shoots himself after Vitalogy..... Pearl Jam is in the same place Nirvana is if Kurt were still alive.

Jughead10
04-10-2007, 02:14 PM
If Eddie Vedder shoots himself after Vitalogy..... Pearl Jam is in the same place Nirvana is if Kurt were still alive.

Pearl Jam has always been better than Nirvana though.

Shiver
04-10-2007, 02:15 PM

Well said.

Jughead10
04-10-2007, 02:22 PM
exactly. and to respond to shiver also: nirvana gets far too much credit for doing the same thing 30 other bands could've done better.

But the reason Pearl Jam is better is because they aren't just the same thing as Nirvana. Nirvana gets credit for making grunge mainstream. Maybe 30 other bads could've done better but they didn't. So it doesn't matter. The reason Pearl Jam is better is because they are much much more than what they started out as.

nrk
04-10-2007, 02:24 PM
I don't like them that much, in all honesty. I was just typing whatever I had readily available in my CD Case. Besides, they are popular, so that should be a catalyst for discussion.

90% of the bands you listed are popular. Plus, my chemical romance and thursday? ewww man, that isn't music.

Jughead10
04-10-2007, 02:29 PM
so we're back to the same point. everyone should get down on their knees and blow kurt cobain's corpse because MTV annointed them the saviour of rock and roll.

Who said MTV annointed them? A bunch of people annointed him. Rolling Stone, multiple media outlets. He was the saviour of rock and roll. If he didn't do it I'm sure someone else would have. But thats not how it happened. I mean if the Beatles didn't cause the mania and have the impact they did, I'm sure someone would have after them. The Beatles aren't my favorite classic rock band, and I think there are quite a few who are musically better, but you can't deny the impact they had.

terribletowel39
04-10-2007, 02:30 PM
90% of the bands you listed are popular. Plus, my chemical romance and thursday? ewww man, that isn't music.

i think Gerard Way and Geoff Rickly would disagree with you there.....they aren't the greatest no, but they still make good music.

ncst8fan83
04-10-2007, 02:46 PM
Pearl Jam is without a doubt the most over rated musical act in the history of recorded ever. As far as the Seattle "grunge" movement went, Soundgarden was by FAR the best act. I would rather listen to a 2 hour long recording of Tony Bennett passing a kidney stone than 1 minute of Pearl Jam.

Shiver
04-10-2007, 02:48 PM
This should be interesting...

Jughead10
04-10-2007, 02:51 PM
When you get older your tastes changes. When I was probably the age of average age of posters here, I loved Pearl Jam's Ten. And basically thought they slowly went down hill after there. But now looking back at it, the music just changed and not necessarily for the worse. Now I actually like more of the post Ten stuff better.

terribletowel39
04-10-2007, 02:56 PM
Pearl Jam is without a doubt the most over rated musical act in the history of recorded ever. As far as the Seattle "grunge" movement went, Soundgarden was by FAR the best act. I would rather listen to a 2 hour long recording of Tony Bennett passing a kidney stone than 1 minute of Pearl Jam.

no i think that would go to britney spears.

Shiver
04-10-2007, 02:56 PM
When you get older your tastes changes.

This is very true. I remember when I used to only listen to current music, in the late 90s. I didn't like anything that sounded too different, or old enough to where my Dad listened to it. Now I like most music, that isn't bastardized by the mainstream culture.

terribletowel39
04-10-2007, 03:05 PM
This is very true. I remember when I used to only listen to current music, in the late 90s. I didn't like anything that sounded too different, or old enough to where my Dad listened to it. Now I like most music, that isn't bastardized by the mainstream culture.

yea you definetly learn to appreciate more music (real music) and not follow "the crowd" too much. if only you could do that as a young whippersnapper, you could actually say you lived through that era, instead you have to basically play catch up once you can appreciate the off base stuff.

Jughead10
04-10-2007, 03:08 PM
yea you definetly learn to appreciate more music (real music) and not follow "the crowd" too much. if only you could do that as a young whippersnapper, you could actually say you lived through that era, instead you have to basically play catch up once you can appreciate the off base stuff.

Thats not always true. Its not about just following the crowd, as most in my area listened to rap growing up. I just think you develop a better ear for it.

terribletowel39
04-10-2007, 03:11 PM
Thats not always true. Its not about just following the crowd, as most in my area listened to rap growing up. I just think you develop a better ear for it.

well see i grew up in the country, and the only thing you could get on a radio station (which there were like 2) was country music, so i was almost forced to follow the crowd i guess is where i am coming from. but i agree i also developed a better ear for good music.

VoteLynnSwan
04-10-2007, 03:35 PM
Map of the Problematique is one of my favorite songs.

yea, that's probably my favorite as well...

Shiver
04-10-2007, 03:39 PM
If I were to pick a favorite song, I would choose Bohemian Rhapsody within two seconds.

Vikes99ej
04-10-2007, 03:42 PM
"It's Late" is probably my favorite Queen song.

EdReedUnstoppable
04-10-2007, 04:23 PM
When you get older your tastes changes. When I was probably the age of average age of posters here, I loved Pearl Jam's Ten. And basically thought they slowly went down hill after there. But now looking back at it, the music just changed and not necessarily for the worse. Now I actually like more of the post Ten stuff better.

I would say thats true for some, but I have always loved Heavy/Hard Rock and Metal, 22 years and still goin strong!

Shiver
04-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Right now I am listening to Muse's new CD. Epic, if nothing else.

Vikes99ej
04-10-2007, 05:55 PM
Right now I am listening to Muse's new CD. Epic, if nothing else.

Black Holes and Revelations, I assume? My favorite tracks are Starlight, Supermassive Black Hole, Map of the Problematique, and Exo-Politics.

Shiver
04-10-2007, 06:03 PM
Yes, it's pretty good.

SuperKevin
04-10-2007, 07:09 PM
I'm going to Coachella Music Festival later this month. It's going to be awesome. Rage Against the Machine is playing their first show together in forever

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
04-10-2007, 07:11 PM
I'm going to Coachella Music Festival later this month. It's going to be awesome. Rage Against the Machine is playing their first show together in forever

My roommate's going too.

Shiver
04-10-2007, 07:13 PM
If they come within a 3-hour radius of where I live, I will be all over any R.A.T.M concert. Too bad that doesn't seem likely.

BlindSite
04-10-2007, 07:32 PM
I would say thats true for some, but I have always loved Heavy/Hard Rock and Metal, 22 years and still goin strong!

If it aint metal it aint music.

sweetness34
04-10-2007, 07:43 PM
im sorry sweetness. but creed and staind are not ok in my book. if you like em fine but i do not enjoy them at all. but some of the others your have are great.

That's your opinion.:D Staind is incredible in concert and Aaron Lewis has a great voice.

While I didn't like Scott Staap very much Creed had some of the best lyrics I've heard in a modern rock band. Sure a lot of it was I guess the "christian" type, but I thought they were great.

Vikes99ej
04-10-2007, 08:06 PM
I wonder what Scott Staap is doing these days...

swagger
04-10-2007, 09:34 PM

Damn, I wish. I hope RATM sticks together and tours, makes a new CD, etc. I need to go to see them live.

BuckNaked
04-10-2007, 09:58 PM
That's your opinion.:D Staind is incredible in concert and Aaron Lewis has a great voice.

While I didn't like Scott Staap very much Creed had some of the best lyrics I've heard in a modern rock band. Sure a lot of it was I guess the "christian" type, but I thought they were great.

I like Staind, but I thought Creed was horrible.

Nightmares Win 6-0
04-10-2007, 10:03 PM
I wonder what Scott Staap is doing these days...

last i heard he was on tour with inxs as a solo act...

P-L
04-10-2007, 10:05 PM
Any new CD's going to be released in the next month or so?

SuperKevin
04-11-2007, 12:39 AM
You all should check out the band Army of Me. They are a great band from the Washington DC area. I used to know them personally when they played weekly shows in College Park under the name Cactus Patch back in 2001.

SuperKevin
04-11-2007, 12:41 AM
Any new CD's going to be released in the next month or so?

The new Nine Inch Nails and Linkin Park CDs will be released in the next month or so

TH3
04-11-2007, 12:43 AM
Creed's first CD was good after that ehhh

slightlyaraiderfan
04-11-2007, 01:22 AM
Arcade Fire is good.

EdReedUnstoppable
04-11-2007, 01:27 AM
Creed's first CD was good after that ehhh

Yeah but Tremonti's guitar work got better with each album, and then his guitar work on Alter Bridge was stellar!!!

One of my favorite guitarists.

ChewyRaven318
04-11-2007, 01:48 AM
Scott Stapp is a pretentious douche, and Creed sucks. Tremonti was the only enjoyable part of the band, and he should be doing solo stuff. Not this Creed/Alter Bridge crap.

Did anyone hear about the Stapp in Baltimore incident? That basically ruined his career.

EdReedUnstoppable
04-11-2007, 01:52 AM
Scott Stapp is a pretentious douche, and Creed sucks. Tremonti was the only enjoyable part of the band, and he should be doing solo stuff. Not this Creed/Alter Bridge crap.

Did anyone hear about the Stapp in Baltimore incident? That basically ruined his career.

First off.....your correct!

Secondly are you referring to the hotel fight with 311?

ncst8fan83
04-11-2007, 08:55 AM
Blindsite or any other poster from australia, have you ever heard marty sampson or small city?

thule
04-11-2007, 03:32 PM
Anyone else really dig Flyleaf? Lacey Mosley is really one of the few females in the alt rock genre that can rock out. I love the pain in her voice. I only have a handful of females I can stand and Lacey is really at the top of the list. Got to love the lyrics. I mean they really hit a lot of groups when they sing...they even hit the Christian rock genre.