PDA

View Full Version : Ron Turner & the draft

Wavy77
04-09-2007, 06:49 PM
I read somewhere in the last days that Ron Turner stated that a fast receiver was the number one priority for the offensive side of the draft.

Wouldn`t that be a quite solid starting point when finding our first round draftee?
I kind of expected the go-to spot to be the sole priority, but Ron wanted a double vertical thread (w/Berrian), which after all also makes sense to me, at least in three-receiver line-up.
What would be the best prospects of the vertical threat-type at the #31 spot? I don`t see Ted Ginn coming to us. Robert Meachem had a 4.39 40yd dash. I can see him playing for the Bears even though he still has to develop a bit to be 100% ready for the next level. And with Zach Miller coming in on #37, our passing game is upgraded already.

VoteLynnSwan
04-09-2007, 06:51 PM
what makes you assume Zach Miller is going to be drafted at #37?

Wavy77
04-09-2007, 06:56 PM
what makes you assume Zach Miller is going to be drafted at #37?

Well, we are looking for a TE, and he`s probably the last decent on that position going in the draft. Of course there are potential late-rounders, but I think it`s going to be a priority this draft to upgrade that position.

pellepelle_10
04-09-2007, 07:14 PM
Well, we are looking for a TE, and he`s probably the last decent on that position going in the draft. Of course there are potential late-rounders, but I think it`s going to be a priority this draft to upgrade that position.

Remember this is the first season we actually had a qb to produce semi-decent numbers for an extended period of time. Also this is the first season in a long time a quarterback has started all 16 games. We're speaking of a TE in the upper 2nd round as if this is a "major" need. Most TE's are getting 40 catches in a season and we already know Olsen and Miller won't serve much good in running situations. These guys aren't Anthony Fasano.

Lets remember we've just had a 1st year of Rex Grossman and Des Clark for an entire season. 45 catches 626 yards and 6 td's is great for a Chicago Bears team that never really utilized this position. Des did his job this year. He was even hurt a few games and sat out the last game. To say we need a top tier TE to me makes no sense unless its someone who is just too good to pass up on. Zach Miller is good..he's not Vernon Davis. I can't see us drafting a Zach Miller to watch him get like 30 catches in the season. To me this pick could be used for someone else to give us a bigger impact. WR would be before TE in the upper rnds.

bearfan
04-09-2007, 07:26 PM
Turner would be a fool if he passed on Jarrett or Bowe because they dont have elite speed. But on another note, I wouldnt mind Miller being drafted at 37, but I dont think that that is now as big a need as OLB to replace Briggs, or a S

Wavy77
04-10-2007, 03:30 AM
I don`t see that a safety or OLB as that much of a need as a playmaker at the moment.
Of course a lot depends on what happens with Briggs, but at the moment I feel that we have most positions covered up well on D.

We could use another LB too, but I don`t think we should look into that until next season.

If we can be better on 3rd down conversions our D won`t have to play much at all..:P

bearfan
04-10-2007, 06:14 AM
I don`t see that a safety or OLB as that much of a need as a playmaker at the moment.
Of course a lot depends on what happens with Briggs, but at the moment I feel that we have most positions covered up well on D.

We could use another LB too, but I don`t think we should look into that until next season.

If we can be better on 3rd down conversions our D won`t have to play much at all..:P

Saftey not so much, I admit that I said that because I really would like a saftey that we could rely on all season, but you are right, it is not much of a need. But LB, IMO we have to pick with one of our 1st 3 picks. I was looking at Scotts scouting reports, and I really like this Quincy Black guy. So if we could nab him in the 3rd round, I would be happy with that. Or Beason, or Timmons (if we could get Timmons) if we could get either with our 2nd rounder

Wavy77
04-10-2007, 07:12 AM
Saftey not so much, I admit that I said that because I really would like a saftey that we could rely on all season, but you are right, it is not much of a need. But LB, IMO we have to pick with one of our 1st 3 picks. I was looking at Scotts scouting reports, and I really like this Quincy Black guy. So if we could nab him in the 3rd round, I would be happy with that. Or Beason, or Timmons (if we could get Timmons) if we could get either with our 2nd rounder

An LB in 3rd round would be ok. Remember that Briggs once was a 3rd rounder, so there`s no reason that there won`t be quality there too.
Isn`t Zak DeOssie another mid-rounder that often falls to the Bears?

Personally I feel that we might use our 3rd round pick on an OL-guy depending on who we take first.

I think the best solution would`ve been if we could get the Skins 6th pick for Briggs WITHOUT giving the #31 pick (but maybe add another (2nd string) player), then trade the #6 pick in a #15-20 pick plus a 3rd round pick. Then we`d end up with plenty of new talent on several positions rather high up in the draft without killing the cap...

bearsfan_51
04-10-2007, 07:17 PM
An LB in 3rd round would be ok. Remember that Briggs once was a 3rd rounder, so there`s no reason that there won`t be quality there too.
Isn`t Zak DeOssie another mid-rounder that often falls to the Bears?

Personally I feel that we might use our 3rd round pick on an OL-guy depending on who we take first.

I think the best solution would`ve been if we could get the Skins 6th pick for Briggs WITHOUT giving the #31 pick (but maybe add another (2nd string) player), then trade the #6 pick in a #15-20 pick plus a 3rd round pick. Then we`d end up with plenty of new talent on several positions rather high up in the draft without killing the cap...

Yeah that's not going to happen.

By the way, Briggs was the 68th pick in the draft, which is almost in the 2nd round.

pellepelle_10
04-11-2007, 01:00 AM
Turner would be a fool if he passed on Jarrett or Bowe because they dont have elite speed. But on another note, I wouldnt mind Miller being drafted at 37, but I dont think that that is now as big a need as OLB to replace Briggs, or a S

I agree. My opinion is simply we're going to draft a TE go get what?...30 catches in a season? 40 maybe?..and if Des Clark plays as good as he did this past season which is "highly" likely you can bump a TE's contribution down even more.

An OLB can come in and play even if Briggs decided to get his head in gear. Heck Hillenmeyer had 74 tackles when him, Briggs, and Urlacher started together for the first time. I'm calling Hillenmeyer a band-aid so you already know what I think an OLB who can actually play would contribute. It would be significant. Again this is even if Briggs decided to stay. Either way you look at it our depth remains an issue.

Safety I can understand at this point but OLB will need to be addressed.

Wavy77
04-11-2007, 02:33 AM
You can`t judge a TE simply based on number of catches. For Grossman to have more go-to receivers who will also help taking coverage away from the deep threat.

When you saw how important Des Clark was for Rex last season you simply cannot overlook his importance on the field, even though he might have fewer catches.

I definitely see TE as a top-priority right now.

awfullyquiet
04-11-2007, 04:24 PM
No way. I don't even see a TE being drafted this year.

Des Clark = Important. = Not going to be replacing him yet. He's a little slower but still has great body control and size and is a decent blocker. He'll make those 30 catches a season for 500 yards. That is a productive year. And i think next year will be more of that. Now i can see next year a TE... the draft for TE's is a little richer next year and probably our major concerns are LB, CB, OL, and TE. If we upgrade wideouts this year, this will afford an opportunty to hold on to des, and don't forget J.D. Runnell. It's not an impossibility with strides in OT skills to run 3WR RB/FB. He's a fantastic lead blocker and probably as good as clark is in the pass rush department. Maybe it's just me.

Wavy77
04-11-2007, 07:06 PM
No way. I don't even see a TE being drafted this year.

Des Clark = Important. = Not going to be replacing him yet. He's a little slower but still has great body control and size and is a decent blocker. He'll make those 30 catches a season for 500 yards. That is a productive year. And i think next year will be more of that. Now i can see next year a TE... the draft for TE's is a little richer next year and probably our major concerns are LB, CB, OL, and TE. If we upgrade wideouts this year, this will afford an opportunty to hold on to des, and don't forget J.D. Runnell. It's not an impossibility with strides in OT skills to run 3WR RB/FB. He's a fantastic lead blocker and probably as good as clark is in the pass rush department. Maybe it's just me.

Yes, Desmond Clark is good, but it won`t hurt for him to have some competition either. Some double-TEs lineups might also be interesting.
However, the starting point for this thread wasn`t really the TE-spot, but the fact that our OC said that he wanted a fast WR, and that it was a top priority for him (I think it said on that Larry Mayer column on chicagobears.com).

So it really comes down to what will be our first offensive pick: when should we use it, and who should it be?

bearsfan_51
04-11-2007, 07:12 PM
We should use both of the first picks on offensive IMO. The only justification for using a top pick on defense would be linebacker, and in that case we should just trade Briggs and get more value.

awfullyquiet
04-12-2007, 03:12 AM
Yes, Desmond Clark is good, but it won`t hurt for him to have some competition either. Some double-TEs lineups might also be interesting.
However, the starting point for this thread wasn`t really the TE-spot, but the fact that our OC said that he wanted a fast WR, and that it was a top priority for him (I think it said on that Larry Mayer column on chicagobears.com).

So it really comes down to what will be our first offensive pick: when should we use it, and who should it be?

eh, we do double TE lineups already. Gilmore isn't a phantom. He's henry blanco to the bears. I don't think that double te is gonna throw anything new to the mix, especially in stretching the field, to get that we need a TE who runs shockey/vernon davis type routes, and there's simply no one line that in the draft we can acquire. and just because Turner says he wants a fast WR doesn't mean he's gonna get it first round. Finding a quality WR is possible at any part of the draft, common knowledge. i'm still looking third round pick for WR. aundrae allison would fit turners specs. reasonable price for a third rounder. and could see part time as the slot receiver rotating with bradley, with a number four lock on davis. gage may be disengaged. haha. seriously though. we can't have our cake and eat it.

where would we pick said recievers? (31 or 37)? How much would we wager on it? who'd be left at 93? would they be worth cashing the 3 on over the 2 or 1... especially for someone who'd end up in the slot currently... and then! and then we'd need someone to play over the middle... work safeties out of their jobs. get physical and bite them. and that slot receiver doesn't fit into the future seeing as berrian won't be steve smith any time soon, and doesn't have the body control to play with any sort of go-to yet. and he can't be dumping to benson like he would jones (pennington is going to abuse that to goodness). if we end up trading someone next year if we play to 11-5 caliber again (probably unless detroit does an 180 overnight) and trading up to the top 15 slots for a WR. probably, but this year there isn't that luxury. berrian might be the one to go if he has a fantastic year. maybe.