PDA

View Full Version : mike williams all but gone!!

lionsfan81
04-10-2007, 01:23 PM
http://blog.mlive.com/lionsinsider/2007/04/mike_williams_career_in_detroi.html

i hope we can get anythinggg for him rather than just cut him.

woodnick
04-10-2007, 01:46 PM
What a blunder of a pick, I know the Lions had their heart set on drafting one of the top 3 cb's but wow what a debacle.

casskid
04-10-2007, 01:46 PM
That Ford ad was easily the most annoying thing that has ever happened to me in my entire life.

That aside I think its still a bad idea to cut Williams unless you get around a 4th round pick for him. Hes still pretty much a unproven rookie at this point with very little wear. As a red zone threat hes still a very good propspect and seeing how thats what the Lions need I would rather see him stay but i guess this means bring on CJ.

Lions-Slappy
04-10-2007, 02:10 PM
Un-believable, how did this guys work ethic get past all the scouts/Millen when we drafted him?

looks like he will be cut and the Lions will have wasted another top pick :(

asmitty45
04-10-2007, 02:38 PM
shoulda been derrick johnson

TacticaLion
04-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Derrick Johnson would've been fun... imagine Johnson - Willis - Sims! Wow. Fun.

If they can't trade him, he HAS to be cut. He's basically saying "Yep... it wont change..." and Marinelli can't allow it.

Bye bye, Mike Williams (#81).

woodnick
04-10-2007, 05:16 PM
shoulda been derrick johnson

I've been saying that for two years. Of course he wasn't the best OLB taken, but at the time he would have been my pick. God I hate Lehman, he's the only reason we didn't draft him. I've hated him ever since we passed on Ben Troupe, a huge need at the time, to draft what was going to be a backup LB just because the GM said that "he reminds me of myself." God I hate Millen also.

Jagonsucker
04-10-2007, 06:23 PM
we dont need Johnson we got Boss Bailey who is good when healthy and give Lehman some time he'll be a good back up.

JPLUFF
04-10-2007, 06:33 PM
it sucks, but he probably needed to go.

Something tells me he'll end up being fine though, with a team that wants him for who he is and will allow him to be the player he was at USC.

bdc02
04-10-2007, 06:55 PM
Derrick Johnson, DeMarcus Ware, Shawn Merriman ... anyone but Mike Williams.

detroit4life
04-10-2007, 07:19 PM
yea hte pick shoulda been merriman or DJ both were reat fits back then and would still eb great picks now wow that woulda helped this team out a lot and it is in no way lehmans fault becasue he was drafted to be our future MLB not OLB

WMD
04-10-2007, 07:24 PM
I've been saying that for two years. Of course he wasn't the best OLB taken, but at the time he would have been my pick. God I hate Lehman, he's the only reason we didn't draft him. I've hated him ever since we passed on Ben Troupe, a huge need at the time, to draft what was going to be a backup LB just because the GM said that "he reminds me of myself." God I hate Millen also.

Agreed on both.. I wanted Derrick Johnson badly.. and as far as TE's go, I wanted Ben Watson.. I was sad when the Pats picked him :( ..Didn't really want Lehman either..

Icon
04-10-2007, 07:36 PM
Mike Williams actually looked pretty solid the 15 plays we put him on the field last year. What is the point of just cutting him and never giving him a chance? I guess we can just put Josh McCown at WR again instead of playing Mike Williams.

art vandelay
04-10-2007, 07:41 PM
I would love him on the Bills but that's not going to happen...Williams has work ethic and character problems right?

WMD
04-10-2007, 07:53 PM
I would love him on the Bills but that's not going to happen...Williams has work ethic and character problems right?

Pretty much.. He also doesn't fit the Mike Martz system at all.

J-Hype
04-10-2007, 08:05 PM
In my madden after his contract was up the bills signed him and he ended up in 3 pro bowls

WMD
04-10-2007, 08:13 PM
In my madden after his contract was up the bills signed him and he ended up in 3 pro bowls

I expect that to happen, it's just the luck of the Lions.

bearsfan_51
04-10-2007, 08:17 PM

If they can't trade him, he HAS to be cut. He's basically saying "Yep... it wont change..." and Marinelli can't allow it.

NOW is he a bust?

WMD
04-10-2007, 08:26 PM
Mike is a bust for the Lions. I'd like to see him on a team that gives him more of a shot.

ironman4579
04-11-2007, 11:18 AM
I hated that pick when it was made. I think I almost had a heart attack when they called Williams name. Not that I thought he was going to be as big a bust for us as he's been, just that there were so many others players I wanted more, and so many bigger needs on our team. What a cluster of a draft that was all around.

P-L
04-11-2007, 11:24 AM
Mike Williams actually looked pretty solid the 15 plays we put him on the field last year. What is the point of just cutting him and never giving him a chance? I guess we can just put Josh McCown at WR again instead of playing Mike Williams.
Unfortunately, McCown looks to be traded. http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

The Unseen
04-11-2007, 11:26 AM
Mel Kiper needs to get -repped.

TacticaLion
04-11-2007, 11:27 AM
NOW is he a bust?

He didn't work out for the Lions (as we all knew would happen), but he isn't a "bust" yet. It's not like he got caught smoking weed and dropped from the league completely... he happened to come to the team when the team ran an offense that didn't fit him.

He could easily be moved and succeed somewhere else... so, after only 2 seasons, I wont consider him a bust.

This isn't a "homer" thing... this is a "reasonable fan" thing. I don't want him on the Lions (because he doesn't fit here), but he can easily succeed somewhere else.

bearsfan_51
04-11-2007, 11:29 AM
He didn't work out for the Lions (as we all knew would happen), but he isn't a "bust" yet. It's not like he got caught smoking weed and dropped from the league completely... he happened to come to the team when the team ran an offense that didn't fit him.

He could easily be moved and succeed somewhere else... so, after only 2 seasons, I wont consider him a bust.

This isn't a "homer" thing... this is a "reasonable fan" thing. I don't want him on the Lions (because he doesn't fit here), but he can easily succeed somewhere else.
Ok, tit for tat. I guess it depends on how you define bust. I would consider the Hawks pick of Rick Mirer, or the Bucs pick of Trent Dilfer busts, because they brought nothing to their teams, even though they had decent careers (Dilfer more so than Mirer obviously) elsewhere.

Harrington was also a bust, even though it looks like he will have a decent career as a backup QB.

lod01
04-11-2007, 11:33 AM

So he can stand at the LOS as the play is run? That was one of the alltime bonehead moves and I wasn't surprised that Martz was a part of it. If you didn't see the play in action, too bad becasue it was amazing how the play was going and McCown was still standing at the LOS. Alltime classic.

TacticaLion
04-11-2007, 11:35 AM
Ok, tit for tat. I guess it depends on how you define bust. I would consider the Hawks pick of Rick Mirer, or the Bucs pick of Trent Dilfer busts, because they brought nothing to their teams, even though they had decent careers (Dilfer more so than Mirer obviously) elsewhere.

Harrington was also a bust, even though it looks like he will have a decent career as a backup QB.
I think Mike Williams can evolve into an incredible, Pro Bowl WR... he's got size and talent. He just needs the opportunity... which is why I can't label him a "bust" yet.

CRog, on the other hand, can't seem to make a roster and recently ran a 4.7 (or 4.9) 40. I consider him to be a bust.

bearsfan_51
04-11-2007, 11:36 AM
I think Mike Williams can evolve into an incredible, Pro Bowl WR... he's got size and talent. He just needs the opportunity... which is why I can't label him a "bust" yet.

CRog, on the other hand, can't seem to make a roster and recently ran a 4.7 (or 4.9) 40. I consider him to be a bust.
I think you're vastly overrating his skill set. At best I think he's a 2nd tier possession reciever in the mold of an Antonio Bryant. We'll see though.

WMD
04-11-2007, 01:12 PM
April 23rd was just a sad day.. I'm standing up, anticipating the announcement that Derrick Johnson is the pick.. and then Paul Tagliabue gets some smirk on his face and announces that the pick is Mike Williams. Blah. One of the worst moments of my life!

DeMonikk1
04-11-2007, 01:22 PM
I also wanted Johnson..but when Williams was drafted I had to attempt to convince myself that it was a good pick..You should never have to psych yourself up over your teams 1st round pick..it's a horrible feeling..

Come on derrick Johnson!
Whaa? Mike Williams? the same guy who hasn't played in over a year? Okay,okay..he's big..nice target..the defense can wait..yeah..

Addict
04-11-2007, 02:12 PM
I also wanted Johnson..but when Williams was drafted I had to attempt to convince myself that it was a good pick..You should never have to psych yourself up over your teams 1st round pick..it's a horrible feeling..

Come on derrick Johnson!
Whaa? Mike Williams? the same guy who hasn't played in over a year? Okay,okay..he's big..nice target..the defense can wait..yeah..

Yeah... Denial's a ***** innit?

Funny thing is... in my madden franchise one week in Williams suffered a career ending injury. (too bad it didn't say 'career ending injury: no work ethic', but still)

Mythos
04-11-2007, 02:57 PM
So he can stand at the LOS as the play is run? That was one of the alltime bonehead moves and I wasn't surprised that Martz was a part of it. If you didn't see the play in action, too bad becasue it was amazing how the play was going and McCown was still standing at the LOS. Alltime classic.

Pure offensive genius. If that stunt had been pulled in New York or Dallas, the media would've killed him. I have no idea why anybody thinks this guy will ever be a head coach again.

TacticaLion
04-11-2007, 03:20 PM
Yeah... Denial's a ***** innit?

Funny thing is... in my madden franchise one week in Williams suffered a career ending injury. (too bad it didn't say 'career ending injury: no work ethic', but still)

HAHA! "Out for season: bad attitude". Funny ****.

Addict
04-11-2007, 03:33 PM
HAHA! "Out for season: bad attitude". Funny ****.

Speaking of madden attitudes... isn't it weird that whenever a team does badly it seems there's always the same guys who end up in the free agent pool after season 1?
Two i've noticed (and profited off :D)

Whenever Washington does badly, Sean Taylor ends up in FA with no motivation and if Atlanta fails to make the playoffs you'll occasionally see DeAngelo Hall in FA as well. (not that I'm complaining, they're both playing for my lions as of now)

woodnick
04-11-2007, 04:13 PM
Speaking of madden attitudes... isn't it weird that whenever a team does badly it seems there's always the same guys who end up in the free agent pool after season 1?
Two i've noticed (and profited off :D)

Whenever Washington does badly, Sean Taylor ends up in FA with no motivation and if Atlanta fails to make the playoffs you'll occasionally see DeAngelo Hall in FA as well. (not that I'm complaining, they're both playing for my lions as of now)

Just a random question, who would you rather have from the '04 draft our pick, Roy Williams, or the next pick, DeAngelo Hall? Not taking into account how bad our WR corp. would be, which of the two would everbody want to build a team around?

Personally give me Hall, huge player. Especially at the time C Rog wasn't a complete flop, yet!

Mythos
04-11-2007, 11:06 PM
Just a random question, who would you rather have from the '04 draft our pick, Roy Williams, or the next pick, DeAngelo Hall? Not taking into account how bad our WR corp. would be, which of the two would everbody want to build a team around?

Personally give me Hall, huge player. Especially at the time C Rog wasn't a complete flop, yet!

Hall's overrated. Roy all the way and save the mulligan for '05.

Addict
04-12-2007, 09:07 AM
Hall's overrated. Roy all the way and save the mulligan for '05.

Hall is solid but since he's one of the few bright spots on the falcons roster he gets overhyped.

I honestly think it would've been the same difference. We could have moved Bly out of town earlier though (and gotten more in return :D)

jbombul
04-12-2007, 10:57 AM
give me roy everyday of the week and twice on sunday

Splat
04-12-2007, 11:03 AM
"By the way, after Charlie Sanders was voted into the Hall of Fame in early February, Williams had his No. 88 yanked away from him. The Lions say it's because, while the numbers aren't officially retired, they don't give out the numbers of players who are in the Hall of Fame. That's true, but if Roy Williams was wearing No. 88, would the Lions have pulled it? Or would they have just said that after Roy Williams retires, no one will wear No. 88 again?"

Thats kinda funny.

Aard
04-12-2007, 11:22 AM

The Lions should've given BMW the #86 to wear on his back instead of #81...since he'll be 86'ed soon enough.

bdc02
04-12-2007, 11:32 AM
April 23rd was just a sad day.. I'm standing up, anticipating the announcement that Derrick Johnson is the pick.. and then Paul Tagliabue gets some smirk on his face and announces that the pick is Mike Williams. Blah. One of the worst moments of my life!
worst moment in my life... Merriman, Johnson, Ware ... why Mike Williams?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQqS5RLdBH8

WMD
04-12-2007, 03:33 PM
I don't see how the Lions draft party was celebrating. Don't you think that was that just a random shot, where they told the crowd to cheer?

Addict
04-12-2007, 04:24 PM
I don't see how the Lions draft party was celebrating. Don't you think that was that just a random shot, where they told the crowd to cheer?

Well actually... at that point it looked like a pretty good selection, as the ESPN guys (boy, are they off by the way) say... Roy Williams and Rogers (*cough*4.9 40 *cough*) at that point were both speed guys (Roy Williams still is) and BMW was a dominating WR coming out of college, he was the possession guy. The reasoning behind it makes sense, as long as you get rid of the knowledge we have now.

(Which means we don't know Rogers lost his speed due to injury and is a complete and total bust, and that Mike Williams would probably lose a race to a man with no arms and legs who uses his teeth to get ahead. Not to mention both guys have a lousy work ethic. )

Take hindsight out of the equasion and that selection didn't look quite as bad as it does now.

Oh and the fans are probably total homers.