PDA

View Full Version : Dropoff in Shaun Alexander's production with Hutchinson gone

07-14-2006, 02:18 AM
I think Steve Hutchinson, the Pro Bowl OG that signed with Minnesota, will have an impact on Shaun Alexander next season...and not a good one.

I don't think that Alexander will match is production from next season, but the question is if it does drop, how much?

Also, consider two other things:

1) He is on the Madden cover.

2) The Super Bowl loser of recent hasn't had a success the following season.

diabsoule
07-14-2006, 02:51 AM
Hutchinson helped but Alexander is a great back and will prove that this year.

07-14-2006, 06:48 AM
Ray Lewis wasn't on the cover last year.

HawkeyeFan
07-14-2006, 09:03 AM
He is going to slow down ALOT. He lust Hutch, best G in football who was paired with Jones a Top 5 T in football, thats how he got his big runs when he had one the holes were so big because he is slower than heck.

Jughead10
07-14-2006, 09:12 AM
If we are looking at pure fantasty production, the dropoff on Alexander will also depend on the passing game. Alexander is one of the, if not the best running back inside the 5 yard line. He just has a nose for endzone. If the passing game is strong and he has opportunities inside the 5, he is going to get in. However I do see him rushing for 200-300 less yard this year. But 1500-1600 yards and 20-24 TDs in not too shabby.

danman253
07-14-2006, 11:48 AM
Shaun will still be extremely productive. The only thing is that he is a year older, which doesn't concern me that much. I'd say 1500+ for sure, but i'll say he get 1704 yards and 24 tds

Jensen
07-14-2006, 11:55 AM
I think he'll drop off a little, but not that much.

EdReedUnstoppable
07-14-2006, 11:55 AM
Shaun will have his worst year of his career, because he has the Madden Curse may I present some evidence:

2004 Michael Vick (broken leg missed 13 games I believe)
2005 Ray Lewis (got banged up and had one of his worst seasons as a pro)
2006 Donovan McNabb (Falling out with TO, Injuries, terrible season)

thats just in the last 3 years, the years before that were also cursed.

danman253
07-14-2006, 11:58 AM
Shaun will have his worst year of his career, because he has the Madden Curse may I present some evidence:

curses aren't real, and i'm a cubs fan

Ravens1991
07-14-2006, 12:00 PM

also w/ Ray we did miss the playoffs i am preety sure.

EdReedUnstoppable
07-14-2006, 12:01 PM

You will find out this season that they are very real.

slightlyaraiderfan
07-14-2006, 12:04 PM
I think it's only natural to expect a dropoff after losing his probowl G.

The Unseen
07-14-2006, 12:05 PM
Option #2

Shane P. Hallam
07-14-2006, 12:21 PM
If you look at stats, they mostly ran the other way anyways. I think he gets injured myself, but if not, he'll still put up strong numbers.

07-14-2006, 12:24 PM
If you look at stats, they mostly ran the other way anyways. I think he gets injured myself, but if not, he'll still put up strong numbers.

?

Hutch = LG and 90% of all Seahwak running plays were to the left.

cunningham06
07-14-2006, 12:28 PM
Ray Lewis wasn't on the cover last year.

Nope it was my boy Donovan McNabb.

draftguru151
07-14-2006, 12:37 PM

?

:shock: Really? I must have missed that. :roll:

07-14-2006, 12:48 PM
NONE OF THE ABOVE
1036yards i promise i went and check into the future

XxXdragonXxX
07-14-2006, 12:52 PM
?

90% of all Seahwak running plays were to the left.

Yeah........no.....

XxXdragonXxX
07-14-2006, 12:56 PM
He is going to slow down ALOT. He lust Hutch, best G in football who was paired with Jones a Top 5 T in football, thats how he got his big runs when he had one the holes were so big because he is slower than heck.

You got that backwards, Jones is the best LT in football, Hutch is a top 5 G, possibly the best.

It's funny, I used to get into arguements all the time about Hutch being the best gaurd. But now that he's no longer a Seahawk, EVERYONE thinks he's the best gaurd in the NFL.

Funny how that works isn't it?

Immaculate Tackle
07-14-2006, 01:21 PM
I hate when people call Hutch not just the best guard but "far and away the best guard." No freaking respect!

Beans
07-14-2006, 01:22 PM
He's got two curses going against him, Super Bowl Loser and Madden.

danman253
07-14-2006, 01:35 PM

?

well its clear you don't watch the seahawks
check the stats before you open your mouth

jackalope
07-14-2006, 01:41 PM
the 2nd option. he won't have as good a season as last year due to the loss of hutchinson and his age, but he will still be a top running back

Boston
07-14-2006, 01:49 PM

Do you think the seahawks meant to lose Hutchinson? Oh no :P . The curse has already started.

Shane P. Hallam
07-14-2006, 01:53 PM

Do you think the seahawks meant to lose Hutchinson? Oh no :P . The curse has already started.

It actually has nothing to do with Madden. Most backs (90%) after they've had 375 carries or more one year, they falter the previous year, usually through injury, sometimes just fatigue and blowing it.

Boston
07-14-2006, 01:59 PM

It actually has nothing to do with Madden. Most backs (90%) after they've had 375 carries or more one year, they falter the previous year, usually through injury, sometimes just fatigue and blowing it.

I'm assuming you mean next. And if you add on the playoffs, that's anywhere from 60-90 more carries.

07-14-2006, 02:26 PM

True, but maybe the Madden curse has something to do with faltering, injuries, fatigue, blowing it, etc.

Explain then Michael Vick's season ending injury after being on the cover. That's pretty eerie.

johbur
07-14-2006, 03:07 PM
I think S.A. will put up 1200-1400 yards. The Football Outsiders has an interesting RB chart that shows how RBs drop off after having career years, with only a few exceptions. Couldn't find the link but someone linked it previously on NFDC.

Paranoidmoonduck
07-14-2006, 03:31 PM
Sure Hutchinson will make an impact, but you got to look at other factors. At his age and point in his career, you have to look at Alexander's year as a career year, meaning that he was likely to drop off a bit anyway even if Hutch stayed around. I think (barring injury) that Alexander can put up 1400-1600 yards with 15-19 TD's, but I think him having a year like last year is totally out of the question.

portermvp84
07-14-2006, 03:38 PM
He's still gonna do good just not as good without Hutchinson, they still have Jones, Ashworth, Henry, and Gray.

XxXdragonXxX
07-14-2006, 03:40 PM
Henry

Who?

portermvp84
07-14-2006, 03:47 PM
William Henry, but i forgot isn't Sean Locklear starting. and they also have Robbie Tobeck

XxXdragonXxX
07-14-2006, 03:50 PM
William Henry, but i forgot isn't Sean Locklear starting. and they also have Robbie Tobeck

I was kinda being sarcastic...I know who William Henry is, he's camp fodder and won't even make the team. Ashworth isn't starting either.

(position and ranked from best to worst.)
LT- Jones
RT- Locklear
LG- Womack
C- Tobeck
RG- Gray

07-14-2006, 05:02 PM
Hot damn you guys need to calm the hell down. I remember an ESPN special on something of that sort. Chill out. Damn.

Canadian_kid16
07-14-2006, 05:11 PM
He's got two curses going against him, Super Bowl Loser and Madden.

double whammy

draftguru151
07-14-2006, 05:12 PM
Hutchinson's loss won't be anywhere near the impact some of you are thinking. Alexander will still be a top back. The only reason he won't be a top back is because he got his contract. Before his 2 contract years Alexander was just a good back. Then there was money on the line and he was dominant.

Staubach12
07-14-2006, 06:15 PM
Here's the real question. If both Alexander and the Seahawks bomb, who will win the NFC West? Arizona? St.Louis?

07-14-2006, 07:33 PM
Hutchinson's loss won't be anywhere near the impact some of you are thinking. Alexander will still be a top back. The only reason he won't be a top back is because he got his contract. Before his 2 contract years Alexander was just a good back. Then there was money on the line and he was dominant.

you are seriously underrating how good Hutch is.

Immaculate Tackle
07-14-2006, 09:15 PM
He has so many bad things going for him, I would be surprised if he had a decent season

1) Tremendous load the year before, with well over 400 carries if you include the post-season
2) Loss of hutchinson
3) Year after signing a big contract
4) Superbowl losers
5) Madden curse

Shane P. Hallam
07-14-2006, 09:20 PM
Here's the real question. If both Alexander and the Seahawks bomb, who will win the NFC West? Arizona? St.Louis?

I'd guess Arizona. New coach in St. Louis, and we know 49ers blow. I think both will have transition years.

draftguru151
07-14-2006, 10:23 PM

I know Hutch is a top 2 guard in the league, but to think one guard will have that much of an effect on a RB is crazy.

danman253
07-14-2006, 11:53 PM

perfectkey stated. He has his contract so i don't expect another vrecord breaking year but he will be among the best in the biz this year

Dam8610
07-15-2006, 12:07 AM
I expect something in the 1400-1600 range for Shaun Alexander this year, since all he's good for is running the ball. The loss of Hutchinson will have an impact on his numbers, but not a great enough impact to knock him out of the 100 YPG range.

PACKmanN
07-15-2006, 08:02 AM
He will get around the normal yards like 1000-1200 but no where near what he got before.

07-15-2006, 08:15 AM

I know Hutch is a top 2 guard in the league, but to think one guard will have that much of an effect on a RB is crazy.

He is going to have a effect on the whole damn offense. Watch and see.

The Fat Kid
07-15-2006, 11:12 AM
i dont see shaun doing any worse than 1450. but i dont see him doing any better than 1775.

07-15-2006, 11:25 AM
i dont see shaun doing any worse than 1450. but i dont see him doing any better than 1775.

Total shocker there.

PACKmanN
07-15-2006, 11:29 AM
i dont see shaun doing any worse than 1450. but i dont see him doing any better than 1775.better start praying.

danman253
07-15-2006, 11:31 AM

no not really.

07-15-2006, 01:05 PM

no not really.

It could have a big effect, we don't know yet. It could have no effect either, we don't know yet. I just think it will have some effect, though I don't know to what degree.

Immaculate Tackle
07-15-2006, 02:00 PM
no not really.
Then why was your team prepared to pay him $49 million dollars?

danman253
07-15-2006, 02:05 PM
no not really.
Then why was your team prepared to pay him $49 million dollars?

cuz we want him back? Gee i don't know, i mean, i think you would want to at least try and sign the BEST GUARD in football. You're not to bright are you.

However he will have an effect, but it won't be of a significant magnitude

Immaculate Tackle
07-15-2006, 03:37 PM
cuz we want him back? Gee i don't know, i mean, i think you would want to at least try and sign the BEST GUARD in football. You're not to bright are you.

However he will have an effect, but it won't be of a significant magnitude

If his loss isn't that significant, your team was very stupid to try to re-sign him for 7 million per year. 7 million is far too much for someone who doesn't impact the team much.

Either the Seahawks are stupid, or you are wrong and it will have a very negative effect.

"You're not to [sic] bright" :lol: how ironic.

07-15-2006, 03:48 PM
Unless your RB is Jesus then losing the best Guard in Football is going to hurt. The question is how much. Around -200 yards or such I woud say, because of Hutch.

07-15-2006, 03:54 PM
Unless your RB is Jesus then losing the best Guard in Football is going to hurt. The question is how much. Around -200 yards or such I woud say, because of Hutch.

Even Jesus can't sustain the loss of Hutch. I think they overpaid Alexander, but you can't let the NFL's best RB in 2005 off of your team. It was either give him the big contract or let him walk. They could have had this as an option if they had a stud in the waiting, sort of like the Cheifs did with Larry Johnson or if something happened to Rudi, the Bengals have Chris Perry. Not saying they should have drafted a RB in round 1, but it doesn't hurt to have a backup with a lot of potential.

Immaculate Tackle
07-15-2006, 04:02 PM
Loss of Hutchinson: -200 yards
Madden Curse: +1 torn ACL

diabsoule
07-16-2006, 01:23 PM
I think there's going to be some dropoff in his production this year. Any time you lose an offensive lineman with the talent of Hutchinson, if always affects the running backs game.

diabsoule
07-16-2006, 01:24 PM

Even Jesus can't sustain the loss of Hutch. I think they overpaid Alexander, but you can't let the NFL's best RB in 2005 off of your team. It was either give him the big contract or let him walk. They could have had this as an option if they had a stud in the waiting, sort of like the Cheifs did with Larry Johnson or if something happened to Rudi, the Bengals have Chris Perry. Not saying they should have drafted a RB in round 1, but it doesn't hurt to have a backup with a lot of potential.

I think you're right on with that. There were plenty of talented RB's in the draft and even available in UDFA.

Shane P. Hallam
07-16-2006, 01:46 PM
I think Maurice Morris is highly underrated, they resigned him and rightfully so.

thetedginnshow
07-17-2006, 02:13 PM
There's definitely going to be some dropoff. Of course, when most people cite examples of times where players lost production after losing a Guard, those teams didn't necessarily have a LT in Walter Jones, or the sort of passing attack that the Seahawks have. And despite what some people think, the passing attack for Seattle always sets up the run. So, we'll see what happens.

Shiver
07-17-2006, 02:27 PM
I think it's only natural to expect a dropoff after losing his probowl G.

Not just "all-pro," Hutchinson was the best interior lineman in the NFL hands down.

Immaculate Tackle
07-17-2006, 04:37 PM
Don't go disrespecting Alan Faneca, now. Hutchinson is a better pass blocker, but that's pretty much irrelevant for a discussion about Alexander. Faneca is an absolute monster. Largely responsible for the Super Bowl's longest run ever, too.

danman253
07-17-2006, 06:21 PM
Don't go disrespecting Alan Faneca, now. Hutchinson is a better pass blocker, but that's pretty much irrelevant for a discussion about Alexander. Faneca is an absolute monster. Largely responsible for the Super Bowl's longest run ever, too.

how much has ever been offered?

Immaculate Tackle
07-17-2006, 06:52 PM
:?:

Huh?

danman253
07-17-2006, 06:53 PM

Huh?you're proclaiming him to be the best in football, so has he ever been offered anywhere near as much as Hutch was?

Immaculate Tackle
07-17-2006, 07:05 PM
He signed a $26 million/6 year contract extension in 2002.
1) Faneca wasn't as proven then as hutchinson is at this point
2) the 2002 salary cap was far smaller than it is now
3) the vikings overpaid a guard; we all know that
4) hutchinson might be better than faneca because he is a more complete guard, but he isn't "far and away" the best.

Smooth Criminal
07-17-2006, 07:37 PM
Faneca isn't as good as Hutch. I'd have Faneca as my #2 ranked guard though. Probably my number 1 in run blocking.

Immaculate Tackle
07-17-2006, 07:41 PM
That's pretty much what I said. I object to the "Hutchinson is the best guard hands down" because it implies a huge gap.

effthiskid11
07-17-2006, 10:27 PM
Brian Waters, he's just as complete as Hutchinson , tell me why hes not if u dont think so

yodabear
07-17-2006, 10:28 PM
He is gonna get hurt.

Shane P. Hallam
07-17-2006, 10:51 PM
He is gonna get hurt.

Exactly. And yodachu is on the ball. I'm saying Week 4, Lance Briggs knocks him out of it.

cunningham06
07-18-2006, 12:01 AM
As far as best guard goes, it is close between Hutchinson and Waters. Both are excellent pass blockers, but I'd say Hutchinson is a better run blocker and is better at pulling on sweeps. Waters lets in almost no sacks though, he is pretty ridiculous.

draftguru151
07-18-2006, 12:17 AM
As far as best guard goes, it is close between Hutchinson and Waters. Both are excellent pass blockers, but I'd say Hutchinson is a better run blocker and is better at pulling on sweeps. Waters lets in almost no sacks though, he is pretty ridiculous.

Shields>Waters.

07-18-2006, 08:58 AM

Shields>Waters.

Not at the moment

07-18-2006, 09:31 AM

Huh?you're proclaiming him to be the best in football, so has he ever been offered anywhere near as much as Hutch was?

Danman, you think how good you are is based off of how much you get paid?

Jeff Backus is the 6th most highly paid OL in the game I believe. So you think he is now the 6th best OL? What about Charles Woodson? You think he is worth what he is getting paid in Green Bay.

Steve Hutchinson is the best OG in football imo, but Faneca isn't that far behind.

danman253
07-18-2006, 10:33 AM

Danman, you think how good you are is based off of how much you get paid?

Jeff Backus is the 6th most highly paid OL in the game I believe. So you think he is now the 6th best OL? What about Charles Woodson? You think he is worth what he is getting paid in Green Bay.

Steve Hutchinson is the best OG in football imo, but Faneca isn't that far behind.Hutchinson is the highest paid guard in NFL history, You don'tr get offered that much by being second bext. If He was offered something like 30 mil, which would make him the highest paid in the league it would be debateable. But even though he was overapid, anyone who is even offered that money at the guard spot is the best in the NFL.

Monomach
12-31-2013, 04:55 AM
Nope, Alexander was a product of his blocking. Lumbering load of ****. No moves/cutting ability whatsoever, and his "power" was nothing more than, 'go-go gadget fatass."

Irritating prick with fat monkey lips.

That's pretty uncool, JordanTaber.

boknows34
12-31-2013, 05:35 AM
Who is Jordan Taber?

Jordan Taber is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.