PDA

View Full Version : Dwight Freeney's contract

RCAChainGang
07-24-2006, 11:37 PM
Dwight Freeney wants to become the highest paid player.

The colts will lose him and he will miss camp.

smittyjs
07-24-2006, 11:40 PM
Enters FA and misses camp
:D

Staubach12
07-25-2006, 12:00 AM
He's coming to camp. I haven't heard anything in months, other than the fact that he may become a FA, and he would like to be the highest paid player in the NFL. He won't hold out, and he never planned to.

yourfavestoner
07-25-2006, 01:38 AM
He'll get franchised next year, and then he'll hold out. He's not going anywhere.

Splat
07-25-2006, 08:45 AM
Colts sign him and in just a few years the Colts will be in cap hell like what happen to Tenn and they won't even have a SB out of the deal.

draftguru151
07-25-2006, 08:48 AM
Colts sign him and in just a few years the Colts will be in cap hell like what happen to Tenn and they won't even have a SB out of the deal.

:?

Smooth Criminal
07-25-2006, 11:48 AM
The Colts will probably franchise him next offseason. I can see them finding the room to sign him after next year. Having him, Harrison, Wayne and Manning all with huge deals will only hurt them and keep them from signing guys that are important to their team like Bob Sanders and others.

Immaculate Tackle
07-25-2006, 11:52 AM
Sanders still has 3 years on his deal. Lucky for them -- not giving in to his hold out really paid off.

Cato June is an UFA next year.

draftguru151
07-25-2006, 12:00 PM
Sanders still has 3 years on his deal. Lucky for them -- not giving in to his hold out really paid off.

Cato June is an UFA next year.

And will probably get overpaid by some team that doesn't run a cover 2 and blow. Colts don't resign LBs.

Geo
07-25-2006, 01:50 PM
I'm expecting Freeney to play out 2006, be franchise-tagged in 2007, and then price himself out of Indy. Honestly, I'm not losing any sleep over it as the Colts will just draft his replacement and/or move Mathis over in a possible rotation.

Nor am I expecting Cato to stay with the team either. Someone will offer more than the Colts once he hits the FA market, as they rightly should (wouldn't be surprised if Jacksonville was interested considering they have no WLB to speak of), and the Colts will have two potential stud LBs in Tyjuan Hagler and Kendyll Pope - given that he's on the right path personally and professionally, and has proven himself post-reinstatement - battle for the position in 2007.

Staubach12
07-25-2006, 01:55 PM

What the hell do you mean the colts lose him AND he miss camp. If he doesn't play for the Colts anymore, then he won't be at their training camp...that's a given.

Jughead10
07-25-2006, 01:58 PM

Freeney wants to become the highest paid player. :lol: Thats funny. I wouldn't even give him close to anything that much.

The Unseen
07-25-2006, 02:09 PM
And will probably get overpaid by some team that doesn't run a cover 2 and blow. Colts don't resign LBs.

Like how Jacksonville signed former Indy WILL Mike Peterson, moved him to MIKE, and watched him blow, right?

Geo
07-25-2006, 02:09 PM
There's been no indication whatsoever that Freeney will miss camp, and even if he does (to the chagrin of his wallet) I don't see it as being a big deal.

This isn't a Deion Branch or Javon Walker situation, Freeney has two well-compensated years ahead of him - courtesy of a final year of a Top 16 rookie contract and a 2007 franchise tag - with the Colts, and he will get a monster payday from someone once he hits the open market, so it's in his best interests to play out the two seasons and be a team leader.

Although I'm not sure if needing to send the message of a new contract is necessary, it's fairly obvious both sides have it mind.

Jughead10
07-25-2006, 02:18 PM

Like how Jacksonville signed former Indy WILL Mike Peterson, moved him to MIKE, and watched him blow, right?

He also got put behind the best combination of DTs in the league. That should be a bit of an exception. If the Giants put him at MIKE he would suffer.

Shiver
07-25-2006, 02:22 PM
Marcus Washington too.

draftguru151
07-25-2006, 02:35 PM

I didn't say all LBers that leave the Colts are bad, just June will be if he isn't in the right situation.

Staubach12
07-25-2006, 04:38 PM

I didn't say all LBers that leave the Colts are bad, just June will be if he isn't in the right situation.

June is perfect for the cover 2, and If he's picked up by someone who doesn't run that... It's gunna be bad.

yourfavestoner
07-26-2006, 12:42 PM

He also got put behind the best combination of DTs in the league. That should be a bit of an exception. If the Giants put him at MIKE he would suffer.

However, Jacksonville runs a lot of Cover 2 as well.

Marcus Washington didn't exactly blow in Washington either, did he.

draftguru151
07-26-2006, 01:15 PM

However, Jacksonville runs a lot of Cover 2 as well.

Marcus Washington didn't exactly blow in Washington either, did he.

Wow, thanks for actually reading what I wrote. :roll:

07-26-2006, 03:51 PM
i think he plays and becomes a FA next year

portermvp84
07-27-2006, 07:43 PM
They should franchise tag is ace.

Canadian_kid16
07-27-2006, 07:49 PM

June is perfect for the cover 2, and If he's picked up by someone who doesn't run that... It's gunna be bad.

He could be good for the Bucs :D to replace Brooks or or other OLB

P-L
07-27-2006, 07:51 PM
No one would make Freeny the highest paid player in the league. Not even Dan Snyder.

07-27-2006, 08:16 PM

Or how the redskins signed former Indy OLB marcus washington and watched him blow.

07-27-2006, 08:17 PM
No one would make Freeny the highest paid player in the league. Not even Dan Snyder.

LOL, i promise you he would if we got the chance.

yourfavestoner
07-27-2006, 08:45 PM

Redskins fans' lack of respect for building a stable franchise is really starting to disgust me.

07-27-2006, 08:48 PM

Redskins fans' lack of respect for building a stable franchise is really starting to disgust me.

You'll be alright

yourfavestoner
07-27-2006, 08:53 PM

You'll be alright

Unfortunately for you, I can't say the same about the Reskins' salary cap.

07-27-2006, 08:56 PM

You'll be alright

Unfortunately for you, I can't say the same about the Reskins' salary cap.

It will be just fine, like always.

stephenson86
07-28-2006, 07:36 AM
I would actually give him all the money he wants, hes in a league of his own

Immaculate Tackle
07-28-2006, 10:52 AM
It's true. They think "let's draft some players from da U, overpay some free agents, and eventually we'll have to win!"

Staubach12
07-28-2006, 11:33 AM
It's true. They think "let's draft some players from da U, overpay some free agents, and eventually we'll have to win!"

:lol:

portermvp84
07-28-2006, 12:48 PM
Yeah they have a thing with over paying players and outragoues tradeds.

07-28-2006, 01:06 PM
Cleveland makes him the highest payed DE/OLB in the NFL where he can eliminate his weakness against the run as our weakside OLB and then Wimbley will move to the strong side role. :shock: :lol:

07-28-2006, 01:07 PM
wait, WAIT!!!! thats not all. He then tears his ACL, MCL & PCL and breaks his ankle all in one hit the 3rd day of trainning camp :roll:

IndyColtScout
07-28-2006, 01:09 PM

First off, that information is wrong about him wanting to be the highest paid player. Dwight & his agent both confirmed that he has never requested that. He also claims that he hasn't even asked to be the highest paid defensive player.

Since he has never won MVP or DPOTY, I don't see how he has the leverage in negotiating a highest paid player contract.

Freeney will re-sign with the Colts as the highest paid DE, and most likely second or third highest paid defensive player, and that's all there is to it. Freeney will be going no where.

portermvp84
07-28-2006, 02:00 PM
I figured he wouldn't leave Indy he wants to play there.

RCAChainGang
07-28-2006, 02:14 PM

First off, that information is wrong about him wanting to be the highest paid player. Dwight & his agent both confirmed that he has never requested that. He also claims that he hasn't even asked to be the highest paid defensive player.

Since he has never won MVP or DPOTY, I don't see how he has the leverage in negotiating a highest paid player contract.

Freeney will re-sign with the Colts as the highest paid DE, and most likely second or third highest paid defensive player, and that's all there is to it. Freeney will be going no where.

Hmmmmmm...... woops... I heard numerous times he wanted to be the highest paid player... :?:

IndyColtScout
07-28-2006, 02:16 PM

Hmmmmmm...... woops... I heard numerous times he wanted to be the highest paid player... :?:

I promise you that he addressed those as false rumors.

RCAChainGang
07-28-2006, 02:30 PM

I promise you that he addressed those as false rumors.

Well thank u for the clarification.

Dam8610
07-28-2006, 10:47 PM
One of two scenarios will play out:

1) He signs a long term deal at some point before he becomes a FA next season

2) He gets franchise tagged and signs a long term deal at some point during next offseason.

Edgerrin James is in Arizona so that Freeney will stay in Indy.