PDA

View Full Version : Scott's New Mock (Apr-12)

Booger
04-12-2007, 03:14 PM
I knew instantly that his mock would create controversy on this board.

There is no way that you pass on a potential franchise LT or a potential franchise QB (both of which are huge long-term needs for this team) for a "phenom" who wouldnt even be in top 10 contention if he were the exact same player but 3 years older.

I know how some of you feel about Thomas and Quinn, so I do expect some support for the Okoye selection. But if we stay at #4 and select Okoye, I will puke come draft day.

I would love Michael Griffin at 2a, but would opt for a DL if we could have Weddle at 2b or 3.

In Scott's scenario, I would take Thomas at 1, Crowder or Charles Johnson at 2a, Moses at 2b, and Weddle at 3.

Tampa 2 4 life
04-12-2007, 04:41 PM
I knew instantly that his mock would create controversy on this board.

There is no way that you pass on a potential franchise LT or a potential franchise QB (both of which are huge long-term needs for this team) for a "phenom" who wouldnt even be in top 10 contention if he were the exact same player but 3 years older.

I know how some of you feel about Thomas and Quinn, so I do expect some support for the Okoye selection. But if we stay at #4 and select Okoye, I will puke come draft day.

I would love Michael Griffin at 2a, but would opt for a DL if we could have Weddle at 2b or 3.

In Scott's scenario, I would take Thomas at 1, Crowder or Charles Johnson at 2a, Moses at 2b, and Weddle at 3.

You better get some good toilet bowl cleaner. The thing that everyone overlooks is Okoye is a great player and not just a super young phenom. With his talent he's Top 20 anyway and the age just makes his potential grow.

Booger
04-12-2007, 04:45 PM
You better get some good toilet bowl cleaner. The thing that everyone overlooks is Okoye is a great player and not just a super young phenom. With his talent he's Top 20 anyway and the age just makes his potential grow.

So you draft a guy at #4 overall with top 20 talent?

I hope not, you take as close to a sure thing as you can get.

-black
04-12-2007, 04:54 PM
Okoye, Adams, Landry. I honestly would take any of these 3. Im really hoping we are innitiating trade talks with the Dolphins though, just in case CJ goes before our pick. I'd love to get one of the Phins 2nd round picks and then swoop up Landry or Okoye

I hate the Bucs 2nd round though

we could not possibly pass on Griffen for a WR

Tampa 2 4 life
04-12-2007, 04:54 PM
So you draft a guy at #4 overall with top 20 talent?

I hope not, you take as close to a sure thing as you can get.

Joe Thomas and Quinn are now sure things? I would rather have the Top 20 Talent guy with Top 3 Potential than the OT with the technique issue and the QB who can't win a big game.

-black
04-12-2007, 04:57 PM
best pick possible that can make our team better>sexy pick

Booger
04-12-2007, 05:02 PM
Joe Thomas and Quinn are now sure things? I would rather have the Top 20 Talent guy with Top 3 Potential than the OT with the technique issue and the QB who can't win a big game.

I said as close to a sure thing as you can get; Quinn and Thomas are closer than Okoye to be sure things.

Not to mention the overall importance of a QB or a LT versus a DT.

I agree with -black, best available player trumps sexy pick. Although Gruden has proven in the last two drafts that he doesnt mind reaching on his guy (Cadillac and Joseph).

Caddy
04-12-2007, 08:33 PM

Why do you want a guy with top 3 potential when you can have a guy who is a top 3-5 player. That logic just confuses me a little.

Tampa 2 4 life
04-12-2007, 08:35 PM
Why do you want a guy with top 3 potential when you can have a guy who is a top 3-5 player. That logic just confuses me a little.

When did I say Quinn and Thomas were Top 3 Talent, They're Top 10 but not really amazing IMO.

Caddy
04-12-2007, 08:45 PM
When did I say Quinn and Thomas were Top 3 Talent, They're Top 10 but not really amazing IMO.

Reggie Ball could be a top 10 talent IMO but does that make him one, no.

Tampa 2 4 life
04-12-2007, 08:46 PM
Reggie Ball could be a top 10 talent IMO but does that make him one, no.

I agree with you to an extent, I just think if CJ is gone we definitely should go Defense.

Caddy
04-12-2007, 08:48 PM
On another not, I actually like Scotts Buc draft.

Caddy
04-12-2007, 08:48 PM
I agree with you to an extent, I just think if CJ is gone we definitely should go Defense.

I kind of agree with that too, I just don't want to see the Bucs reach on a player when plenty of other talented prospects are still around.

Tampa 2 4 life
04-12-2007, 08:54 PM
I kind of agree with that too, I just don't want to see the Bucs reach on a player when plenty of other talented prospects are still around.

I would like to see, as -Black said, to trade down to Miami if they want Quinn and they're not sure if Minnesota will take them or not. I think that'll guarantee us an Impact D-Lineman(Carriker, Okoye) or Willis, and maybe even Landry.

Caddy
04-12-2007, 08:55 PM
I would like to see, as -black said, to trade down to Miami if they want Quinn and they're not sure if Minnesota will take them or not. I think that'll guarantee us an Impact D-Lineman(Carriker, Okoye) or Willis, and maybe even Landry.

I would like Landry, Carriker, Okoye, Adams or Anderson there, but we really don't need Willis.

Merlin
04-13-2007, 05:49 AM
While I'm a fan of Okoye, and what he could bring to the Bucs this year, I wouldn't like to see us take him with the #4 overall pick, though if we traded down, I'd be all for it.

If we stay at #4 and CJ is gone, guess who'd I'd pick......etk, 24, lols.

If you don't know, I'd take Quinn, I've made an arguement for him a number of times already, so I won't bore you guys again.

As for Jarrett in the second, I nearly choked on my wheaties, what an awfull pick, I don't see what he would bring to the table that we haven't already got, hopefully Stovall will continue to grow, Clayton is still only 24, though he needs to produce, he's on the clock and then some.

With the 2a pick, I'd choose either Tim Crowder or Charles Johnson, and at 2b, I'd go with Brandon Mebane as a possible UT.

In the 3rd I would have gone with C Samson Satelle, though with reports of Buenning at C from camp, (someone mentioned that might happen months ago, didn't they?..lols) I would happily take Weddle, or Antwan Barnes.

Caddy
04-13-2007, 08:01 AM
If we stay at #4 and CJ is gone, guess who'd I'd pick......etk, 24, lols.

Hmmm I wonder???? :)

Watchman
04-13-2007, 11:10 AM
The Jarrett pick was awful when you consider Clayton and Stovall are essentially the same type of receiver. Okoye at #4 won't shock me because it would follow a pattern that Gruden/Allen have established. But, it doesn't seem like the best value.

If the first three picks went the way Scott predicts I would bet that Thomas would be the pick. Passing on Griffin in the second made no sense to me, especially with d-line being addressed in round 1 with the Okoye pick.

ks_perfection
04-13-2007, 11:38 AM
With JT still there we should be able to get some good offers from teams. Miami, Arizona maybe childress.

etk
04-13-2007, 02:03 PM
Hmmm I wonder???? :)

We have enough OLBs on our roster, although I have experience at S too. There's always room for the first NFL Aussie though.....

Merlin
04-13-2007, 02:17 PM
We have enough OLBs on our roster, although I have experience at S too. There's always room for the first NFL Aussie though.....Don't quote me on this, but I believe theirs already been one, an aussie rules guy who became a punter....24 should know?

Caddy
04-13-2007, 06:09 PM
Don't quote me on this, but I believe theirs already been one, an aussie rules guy who became a punter....24 should know?

Ben Graham and Mat McBriar are both Aussies and the Eagles have an Aussie in camp as well is in a roster battle for their punting position, Saverio Rocca.

Bradentonian
04-13-2007, 10:10 PM
1 Joe Thomas
2a Charles Johnson
2b Moses
3 Weddle

Would be pretty sweet

Caddy
04-13-2007, 10:26 PM
1 Joe Thomas
2a Charles Johnson
2b Moses
3 Weddle

Would be pretty sweet

I don't really understand taking 2 DE's

etk
04-13-2007, 10:49 PM
Ben Graham and Mat McBriar are both Aussies and the Eagles have an Aussie in camp as well is in a roster battle for their punting position, Saverio Rocca.

Punters aren't real football players.....

Bradentonian
04-13-2007, 11:02 PM
I don't really understand taking 2 DE's

This draft is very deep at DE so it's a great time to pick 2 with very good value. Spires is to the point where he should be a rotational guy or cut due to salary, and Rice only signed for one more year (assuming he isn't traded), we have zero depth at the position.

Caddy
04-13-2007, 11:34 PM
This draft is very deep at DE so it's a great time to pick 2 with very good value. Spires is to the point where he should be a rotational guy or cut due to salary, and Rice only signed for one more year (assuming he isn't traded), we have zero depth at the position.

I think the Bucs are hoping Julian Jenkins is able to help fill the void at one of those positions and I just can't justify two de's in with the first 3 picks.

Bradentonian
04-14-2007, 12:08 AM
I think the Bucs are hoping Julian Jenkins is able to help fill the void at one of those positions and I just can't justify two de's in with the first 3 picks.

Jenkins is backup material at best. He might have a chance as a starter after several years in the system (a la Wyms), but is much more likely to stay a rotational guy between strongside end and UT. Creating a pass rush is the absolute key to our defense, and if the DL isn't getting pressure, the rest of the D can't function optimally.

Caddy
04-14-2007, 02:43 AM
Jenkins is backup material at best. He might have a chance as a starter after several years in the system (a la Wyms), but is much more likely to stay a rotational guy between strongside end and UT. Creating a pass rush is the absolute key to our defense, and if the DL isn't getting pressure, the rest of the D can't function optimally.

D-Line help is important, but we need an UT as well, we cannot afford to neglect that position and select a player who sits behind Rice/Spires. One DE in the 2nd round is all we can afford at the moment.

Bradentonian
04-14-2007, 10:06 AM
D-Line help is important, but we need an UT as well, we cannot afford to neglect that position and select a player who sits behind Rice/Spires. One DE in the 2nd round is all we can afford at the moment.

I agree that UT is a huge need, in fact I had it as the #1 team need even before the last draft, slightly ahead of LOT. However, this draft is extremely light on day one UT talent that fits our scheme, and we signed Kevin Carter so we wouldn't have to reach on a mediocre guy this year. I'd rather get 2 solid DEs this year, and take a late round flyer on a UT like Jay Alford who can rotate in with Carter, and address UT with a premium pick next year.

Tampa 2 4 life
04-14-2007, 10:13 AM
I agree that UT is a huge need, in fact I had it as the #1 team need even before the last draft, slightly ahead of LOT. However, this draft is extremely light on day one UT talent that fits our scheme, and we signed Kevin Carter so we wouldn't have to reach on a mediocre guy this year. I'd rather get 2 solid DEs this year, and take a late round flyer on a UT like Jay Alford who can rotate in with Carter, and address UT with a premium pick next year.

Okoye. (Ten Characters)

Three Step Drop
04-14-2007, 11:13 AM

I have managed to get a lot of the SB season games on dvd and have been watching them recently. Watching those games back it's so painfully obvious how we miss a good UT. The pressure that Sapp was getting was at some points embarassing for the other teams.

If CJ has gone, I'm all up for taking a punt on Amobi Okoye. Whether he'll be another Sapp who knows but we need that push up the middle thats been missing

mikevick7owns
04-16-2007, 06:21 PM
i have been wondering who bucs fans would prefer to draft at #4 given CJ is gone. right now i have cj, then gaines then brady quinn at #3 gone. given that scenario would you all prefer joe thomas or amobi okoye?

it really seems split. or would you prefer a trade down?

for me, personally, i always prefer a trade down unless there is a CJ on the board, just because it helps you add depth.

Booger
04-16-2007, 08:44 PM
i have been wondering who bucs fans would prefer to draft at #4 given CJ is gone. right now i have cj, then gaines then brady quinn at #3 gone. given that scenario would you all prefer joe thomas or amobi okoye?

it really seems split. or would you prefer a trade down?

for me, personally, i always prefer a trade down unless there is a CJ on the board, just because it helps you add depth.

Trading down, getting another 2nd round pick, and taking Okoye is ideal if CJ is gone. But if we are to stay at #4, I would take Thomas over Okoye.

Booger
04-16-2007, 08:47 PM
I would be very surprised if we didnt take 2 DL in the first 3 picks. And if Okoye isnt one of them, I wouldnt be shocked to see 2 DE's taken in the first 3 picks.

The draft is very deep at DE, and we have no future at the position. Maybe we would take an oversized DE who could project to UT (Crowder maybe?).

etk
04-16-2007, 09:03 PM
Taking 2 DEs would not upset me if it was good value. As far as oversized DEs go, look no further than Baraka Atkins. He reminds me a lot of Wyms, and we could draft him on Day 2. He would either be a future replacement for Spires or a guy to add to our UT rotation. I really doubt we will draft 2 DEs, though, because we only need 1 at the moment and we can wait til next year to get the 2nd. Don't forget about the Charles Grant possibility either, so I think we are in good shape with one DE in the first 2 rounds.