PDA

View Full Version : Safety Battle

neko4
04-12-2007, 07:34 PM
Who should be the starter opposite of Collins come the start of the season

neko4
04-12-2007, 07:37 PM
Im one of the few people that would like to see us draft Nelson if Olsen and Lynch arent there

FLORIDA PACKER
04-12-2007, 07:46 PM
Manuel has the leg up, and if he wins it, I expect a much better season from him, but he still leaves a lot to be desired in coverage. He was also billed to be a solid tackler and hitter, I only saw him lay the lumber in one game really(Seattle), and saw him do one thing consistently all year, TAKE BAD ANGLES!

Underwood has much better range and upside, and is a solid tackler although he is not billed as the Mauler Manuel was supposed to be. His speed is A HUGE upgrade over Manuel(assuming he returns favorably from his torn Knee ligament) and his ball skills are up there as well. His health is what will make or break him this year imo

Tyrone Culver I see as more of a fill in guy, he does a lot of things decent but nothing really special. If he can beat out Manuel i'm all for him though. He couldn't play anyworse than MM did last season right?

These are the 3 i really see competing for the spot, and my pick to win it will be Manuel, just because im not sure if Underwood will be ready in time(If he is I look for him to start by week 3 if he isn't already when the season starts).

GB12
04-12-2007, 08:11 PM
Manuel has the leg up, and if he wins it, I expect a much better season from him, but he still leaves a lot to be desired in coverage. He was also billed to be a solid tackler and hitter, I only saw him lay the lumber in one game really(Seattle), and saw him do one thing consistently all year, TAKE BAD ANGLES!

Underwood has much better range and upside, and is a solid tackler although he is not billed as the Mauler Manuel was supposed to be. His speed is A HUGE upgrade over Manuel(assuming he returns favorably from his torn Knee ligament) and his ball skills are up there as well. His health is what will make or break him this year imo

Tyrone Culver I see as more of a fill in guy, he does a lot of things decent but nothing really special. If he can beat out Manuel i'm all for him though. He couldn't play anyworse than MM did last season right?

These are the 3 i really see competing for the spot, and my pick to win it will be Manuel, just because im not sure if Underwood will be ready in time(If he is I look for him to start by week 3 if he isn't already when the season starts).

I don't think Culver has much of a chance. I like him as a back up but not to start. If Underwood does beat out Manuel, I'm comfortable with Culver as the number 2, allowing us to let Manuel go. I'm actually satisfied with our safety situation and don't see it as a huge need that needs to be addressed through the draft. If somehow Landry drops in our lap of course I would take him, but there are only like two other situations that I would take a safety and those are unlikely to happen.

I'm not anti-Manuel, and think he could do a more than decent job. From the begining of the season through the rest he showed some nice improvement. Most of those blown coverages that we remember oh so well happened during the first couple of weeks. Not only was his coverage improving but he started to hit. He layed a couple guys out and was making tackles. I still think he would be more effective as more of an in the box safety, but he was rarely used there. With the chemistry he has gained through one full season as a starter that'll certainly help, and he could come out strong.

Then There is Marviel Underwood, who as you know I absolutely love. He has great speed, and always seems to find the ball. Not as good of a hitter as Manuel, but will get it done. If faced one on one with a big RB he might not be able to take him down himself but will keep him in place until he gets help. I think the potential on this guy is through the roof. During his rookie year he saw limited time so he didn't do anything great, but I don't remember him messing up once. I really like what I saw from the preseason, but obviosly he got hurt and was out for the year. Had he not been injured he would have compeated for the nickleback, and I think he'd get it. Depending on how he did there he could have been creeping up on Manuel last year. I think that he fits the defensive system that we are using quite a bit better than Manuel. As I mentioned earlier Manuel is better fit for in the box, but that's not how we use the SS. There is not a whole lot of difference between the two safeties in the system which makes the SS play like a FS a lot of the time. With Underwood's speed and ball skills he would be perfect for that role. Collins and Underwood would make a very nice pair of safeties and they would be there for years to come.

I think that there could be a battle between the two during the preseason. Manuel has the leg up at this point but we'll see.

umphrey
04-12-2007, 08:38 PM
We won't draft a safety at all unless it's Landry IMO. We have a lot of safeties on the roster that have a lot of potential and drafting someone means cutting one of those guys.

TT isn't as worried about the position as everyone else is.

Manuel will start but Underwood is half a step behind him IMO.

princefielder28
04-12-2007, 09:11 PM
Suprised to hear GB12 likes Underwood

jackalope
04-12-2007, 09:59 PM
I'm hoping Underwood does. Chances are it'll be him or Manuel. I'm hoping we don't take a safety.

Moses
04-12-2007, 11:02 PM
Safety isn't a big-time need in this draft in my opinion. Either Manuel or Underwood will take the starting position next season. The Packers need at least one more season to evaluate these guys before they spend a high pick on the position.

PACKmanN
04-12-2007, 11:06 PM
IMO it should be Manuel. If Pop gets the SAM spot then Manuel should too. Manuel was hurt during Training camp last year and lost alot of things. When he became 100% its like we saw another D out there, and i also love the hits.

Vince Lombardi
04-13-2007, 12:04 AM
I would like to see Underwood win the competition in training camp. If Landry is available (which is unlikely) it'd be tough for GB not to take him. Only the coaching staff really knows what we have in some of these guys, so I trust their decision when it comes to drafting a safety or not.

PackerLegend
04-13-2007, 09:14 AM
I only saw him lay the lumber in one game really(Seattle), and saw him do one thing consistently all year, TAKE BAD ANGLES!

Do you not remember the last game of the season Manuel laid out Mushin Muhamad (however you spell it)

http://www.packerforum.com/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=9405

I think you have to sign up to watch the videos but this is the packers bears game and you can watch Manuel lay out Mushin. I chat there to it is a great site and has game video highlights which are always good.

JF4
04-13-2007, 02:11 PM
I think that if we don't draft a safety in the 1st or 2nd round that Manuel will keep the job. He did improve a little through the year and IMO his experience would make him a better player than someone like Underwood in Culver. I think if we started off with Manuel and then slowly transitioned to someone like Underwood it would work it pretty good.

princefielder28
04-13-2007, 03:02 PM
I think that if we don't draft a safety in the 1st or 2nd round that Manuel will keep the job. He did improve a little through the year and IMO his experience would make him a better player than someone like Underwood in Culver. I think if we started off with Manuel and then slowly transitioned to someone like Underwood it would work it pretty good.

They're not going to switch in the middle of the season; either Underwood or Manuel will start the year and stay there

JF4
04-13-2007, 04:11 PM
They're not going to switch in the middle of the season; either Underwood or Manuel will start the year and stay there

Ya you're probably right, but I hope they would at least give Underwood some actual playing time.

princefielder28
04-13-2007, 04:12 PM
Ya you're probably right, but I hope they would at least give Underwood some actual playing time.

I would rather have the caoches throw Underwood in there and get him experience and he'll make his mistakes, but with Manuel he just kept making the same mistakes and change is needed

Moses
04-13-2007, 04:20 PM

That's not necessarily true. If Underwood was healthy last season I bet they'd think about throwing him in at safety after Manuel was struggling.

princefielder28
04-13-2007, 04:59 PM
That's not necessarily true. If Underwood was healthy last season I bet they'd think about throwing him in at safety after Manuel was struggling.

I'm talking about this season and not last and well of course injuries are going to change the way the starters look if they occur

jackalope
04-13-2007, 07:29 PM
They're not going to switch in the middle of the season; either Underwood or Manuel will start the year and stay thereIf one is really struggling throughout the year then they'll likely switch him out eventually, but they're not gonna name the starter expecting him to be replaced.

The Legend
04-13-2007, 09:14 PM
Underwood or Weddle

princefielder28
04-13-2007, 09:20 PM
Underwood or Weddle

Suprised to see the Weddle pick

Packer#50
04-17-2007, 01:31 PM
Underwood or Weddle

I agree Eric Weddle should be the pick. He is a playmaker, good tackler, has good range and is smart. (everything the Packers need)

Packer#50
04-17-2007, 01:31 PM
I do not know if it is just me but it seems to me that Ted Thompson plans on starting Marquand Manuel.

beef
04-17-2007, 08:57 PM
the player who should start is...whoever wins the job in camp.
based on what i've seen and read about both manuel and underwood, i'd personally lean towards underwood because he has the speed and i got sick of watching manuel out of position because of his speed, or lack thereof.
but if manuel gets the nod, i won't be upset because obviously the staff feels he is the better player.

PACKmanN
04-17-2007, 11:13 PM

really? Jenkins took the starting DE job and look how well that looked. They will switch but it wont happen because Manuel will be amazing.

Nitschke-Hawk
04-18-2007, 08:40 PM
Laron Landry :)

GadoR'Savior
04-19-2007, 09:01 AM
I dont get why everyone leaves Sabby Piscitelli out, IMO hes better than Weddle. But i'd lke to see Underwood win if he dont take Griffin, Meriweather, Nelson. Not a fan of Weddle because he isnt that great of a tackler no bad but not that good for a saftey. We already have Maunual who cant wrap up. Rouse and Piscitelli I think are players we should look at big, strong, can cover (piscitelli is better in coverage) and both are sure tacklers

GadoR'Savior
04-19-2007, 09:08 AM
Manual maybe able to hit but he misses alot of tackles and blows alot of coverages. Underwood, if hes healed 100% I say he has to win. Thats if we dont draft a top guy