PDA

View Full Version : A Proposition, A Theory

JT Jag
04-12-2007, 09:28 PM
We know what Godwin's Law is. "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one".

I propose the creation of a new one.

"As a sports-related conversation grows longer, the probability of a joke involving the prison record of Bengals players approaches one".

Discuss.

Vikes99ej
04-12-2007, 09:30 PM
Not good. .

The Unseen
04-12-2007, 09:32 PM
It's an interesting theory...if we set B (Bengal) equal to f(x), we get f(x) 5, 6, ... , 7 -> B, therefore it can be proven somewhat.

frogstomp
04-12-2007, 09:33 PM
The number of new posters is proportional to the number of idiotic threads that waste people's time.

ElectricEye
04-12-2007, 09:36 PM
We know what Godwin's Law is. "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one".

I propose the creation of a new one.

"As a sports-related conversation grows longer, the probability of a joke involving the prison record of Bengals players approaches one".

Discuss.

100% true.
...although I'm willing to bet that the amount of people who have the free time to know what Goodwin's Law isn't very high.

BigDawg819
04-12-2007, 09:53 PM
The number of prison related Bengal jokes will be proportionally related until the number of days/months/years we are removed from these incidents. The determining factor in this equation is time, because it is proven in sports and sports discussions that as the amount of time increases past these incidents the number of people reciting them decreases. Hence when a drug related incident in sports happens you here less and less "Doc" Gooden and/or Darryl Strawberry references. Sports is a "what have you done for me lately" topic so as soon as others have incidents the Bengals references will become "back page news" so to speak.

VoteLynnSwan
04-12-2007, 09:55 PM
The number of new posters is proportional to the number of idiotic threads that waste people's time.

it is also inversely proportional to the number of quality posters on the site and directly proportional to the number of said posters that leave the site because of the idiocy.

Caddy
04-12-2007, 10:29 PM

Don't forget our resident stalwarts like Giant Rutger Fan