PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Carpenter

KILLERSANTA
04-12-2007, 10:01 PM
Ok now on to the story, I won't post his little speech cuz it was kinda long but he basically talked about his college career and recruiting in HS and what not as for the questions I will post them right now

Question #1 (Not by me) - What's it like playing with T.O.

Bobby's Answer- It's like playing with every other player, he's a really nice guy and I enjoy playing with him, he's just like Mo Clarett in the case that the media hypes them up way more than they should, they are always looking to get some new stuff on him.

Question #2 (again not by me) - What was your thoughts the moment before the fumbled snap against seattle and then again right after?

Bobby- oh gosh, well ok lets see I'm going to describe it like this.

It was like I was on vacation for awhile and my neighbor was dog-sitting for me, well I come home from vaca and I see my dog in my neighbors arms and then the neighbor lets him off the lease and he comes running at me, and right before he's to me a car comes along and snatches him right before my eyes....

I nearly died laughing after hearing his response right there hahahaha.

Question #3- What was it like transitioning from Jim Tressel to Bill Parcells and is Parcells really like the media makes him out to be?

Bobby- wow, this is really hard because it was like going from one extreme to the other, Bill doesn't talk much, he yells most of the time and sometimes screams haha so that's something you need to get used to and yes he is always like that, he always has a bunch of one liners for the players when they come off the field and Bill would go what the hell happened on that play? and the player will just shrug his shoulders and Bill would come back and say something like your a ball in high grass.... YOUR LOST!!! he then started laughing.

Final Question (mine)- With all this talk with the new Phillips 3-4 and you possibly playing inside or outside, do you have a preference on where you play and where do you think you will play come season time??

Bobby- (he acutally said oh wow first... I don't think he was expecting a in depth question like mine lol) You know it's like this I really don't care where I play, I just want to be able to contribute and be able to be on the field as much as possible, and if that's outside or in it really doesn't matter to me. Although so far I have done NOTHING but play outside and they told me to be ready for that, HOWEVER they keep telling to me to keep up on everything for inside because of injury, trades and cuts on the depth charts and such. he then told me that was a good question

so in review it looks like he's soley outside for now....

On a side note I asked him when I was getting my autographs who he thought we might draft and he said it's changed since 2 weeks ago (hamlin signing) he thought saftey then but now thinks it will be CB, with WR a small possibility.

So there you guys have it, that's all I know, and sorry AZ it doesn't look like he had the tillman bracelet on, maybe it clashed with his outfit

ENJOY GUYS!!!

From a different board.......

Burns336
04-12-2007, 10:16 PM
From a different board.......

please let it be CB and not WR

great post

thule
04-13-2007, 03:49 AM
Interesting twist on where he will play. I'm still not biting till I see us pass on a rush backer in the first 2 rounds.

DMWSackMachine
04-13-2007, 12:13 PM
I really, really don't see where all the speculation and opining on this subject is coming from. Bobby has always been an OLB, he played there mostly in HS, in college, and last year in his rookie season. Yes, Parcells said that he saw him eventually being an inside guy....but Bill's not here anymore. Right now, we have two good players (despite what anyone here says) locked in with long term deals on the inside. Meanwhile, the only real, viable option we have on the strong side is a 30+ year old converted DE who is coming off of a career threatening injury.....can someone please explain this to me?

Maybe the FO doesn't think he has the pass rush ability that they want out of that guy, but he certainly has everything else. He's excellent in coverage, he was terrific against the run in college, and has the ability to be the same in the pros after he works on his base and learns to take on the bigger, more physical blockers of the NFL. He has good sideline to sideline speed. He's smart. He's tough. There is no reason I can see to move his ass. None.

So, someone needs to come up with a reasonable explanation for me, because I'm at a loss. I see Bobby Carpenter as our long-term future at SOLB, and becoming the solidifying peice to an abosolutely dominant LB corps. Until I see anything else, that's where I stand.

LSUALUM99
04-13-2007, 01:12 PM
I agree with DMW. I've never seen the speculation of ILB for Carpenter. We certainly didn't draft him for that spot.

And where is this nonsense that people say that he doesn't have the pass rushing skills. He excelled the last game of the season rushing the passer. He excelled in college at the position and you didn't hear anything before the draft last year about his inability to get to the QB.

He took some time adjusting to the pro game, he came on late. That's it, it's that simple. By the end of the season he'll be our starter at OLB and if ANYTHING Burnett will move inside (although I'm not sold on that idea either).

Macarthur
04-13-2007, 01:49 PM
I'm one that has thought he might move inside.

My main point is that he played an OLB in the 4-3 in college which is very different than an OLB in the 3-4.

I hope I'm wrong, but I just haven't seen the pass rush from him. Maybe it was some scheme. We will see.

Modano
04-13-2007, 01:54 PM
I agree with DMW. I've never seen the speculation of ILB for Carpenter. We certainly didn't draft him for that spot.

And where is this nonsense that people say that he doesn't have the pass rushing skills. He excelled the last game of the season rushing the passer. He excelled in college at the position and you didn't hear anything before the draft last year about his inability to get to the QB.

He took some time adjusting to the pro game, he came on late. That's it, it's that simple. By the end of the season he'll be our starter at OLB and if ANYTHING Burnett will move inside (although I'm not sold on that idea either).

And he played some DE too in obvious pass situation both in college and NFL. Do you remember the game against the Cardinals? He almost got two sacks in a row, if not for Leinart throwing away the ball (and one of those two it was intentional grounding, but that was garbage time)...

fryman
04-13-2007, 03:59 PM
yeah Carpenter is actually pretty good rushing the passer. I would say he probably even has more moves then Ware. He just needs to refine it a bit, but he should be pretty good at getting to the QB.

As for why people think that he would be good on the inside is because he is so complete. Also many people are concerned over both ayodele and James starting inside, because it gives up a lot of speed. Really I think Carp should start out outside until we see how Ayodele and James do this year. If they are playing together well, then we should leave it, but if not then the LBers should be shuffled a little bit.

My opinion is that Burnett should be tried inside first. Everybody seems to think that he should be outside, but he hasn't ever really showed much rushing, and he is excellent in coverage. So playing him outside seems to be a waste in Wade's scheme. Also I would like to see Ayodele tried out outside in training camp.

thule
04-13-2007, 10:41 PM
Carp is going to be our Vrabel. Play w/e he needs to play for us to win. He will see snaps at both positions. I'm not going to say that he is going to start A or B. But he will be playing both positions for us. The only reason I'm not sold on him as our future SOLB is because of the way our FO is targeting its prospects. I'm still sticking firm to the fact that you don't take a look at 10 people at the combine and have over 50% of them from one position. That is all the proof I need to think that maybe Wade would like to see another guy outside.

Texico From Mexico
04-14-2007, 07:43 AM
Carpenter = bust

What was that genius Parcells thinking on that one?

Paul
04-14-2007, 09:31 AM
Carp is going to be our Vrabel. Play w/e he needs to play for us to win. He will see snaps at both positions. I'm not going to say that he is going to start A or B. But he will be playing both positions for us. The only reason I'm not sold on him as our future SOLB is because of the way our FO is targeting its prospects. I'm still sticking firm to the fact that you don't take a look at 10 people at the combine and have over 50% of them from one position. That is all the proof I need to think that maybe Wade would like to see another guy outside.

That would be the ideal situation, I think Carp is alittle more atheletic then Vrabel. But he can be that versitle LB who plays where we need him.

Modano
04-14-2007, 01:56 PM
Carpenter = bust

And why is he a bust?

Texico From Mexico
04-15-2007, 09:30 AM
And why is he a bust?

What did he do? For a pick that high..especially a highly touted linebacker he did nothing. And Fasano? What about that genius pick? And now Parcells is gone...seems like some of these words were thrown around before last years draft about getting players to fit "Parcells" style and him not staying around to see it through. Wonder who said that?.....Yes I Called it...

every year we are getting closer and closer to doing what should have been done all along. It's just that we keep wasting years to do it.

nrcirc
04-15-2007, 09:37 AM
What did he do? For a pick that high..especially a highly touted linebacker he did nothing. And Fasano? What about that genius pick? And now Parcells is gone...seems like some of these words were thrown around before last years draft about getting players to fit "Parcells" style and him not staying around to see it through. Wonder who said that?.....Yes I Called it...

every year we are getting closer and closer to doing what should have been done all along. It's just that we keep wasting years to do it.

It is much better than to trade up to draft Landale White like you said last year.

robert_in_bigd
04-15-2007, 11:22 AM

He was the best player on the field in Seattle -- sad but true. So he has done something.

Staubach12
04-15-2007, 12:01 PM
Carpenter = bust

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

HE'S BACK!!!!!!

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Burns336
04-15-2007, 01:53 PM

Even though you were against carpenter, you did want Lendale and that actually would have been worse. Our running backs played fine, I think lendale can easily be labeled a bust over carp, although neither has been given a fair shot yet. The difference between the 2 is that White now weighs as much as carp and is a lazy bum, while carp is busting his ass everyday to work into our system.

leroyisgod
04-15-2007, 03:37 PM
How can any draft picks from last year be labeled as busts yet? I think you have to give them three years in the league before you put that bust label on them.

bigbluedefense
04-15-2007, 03:46 PM
I really, really don't see where all the speculation and opining on this subject is coming from. Bobby has always been an OLB, he played there mostly in HS, in college, and last year in his rookie season. Yes, Parcells said that he saw him eventually being an inside guy....but Bill's not here anymore. Right now, we have two good players (despite what anyone here says) locked in with long term deals on the inside. Meanwhile, the only real, viable option we have on the strong side is a 30+ year old converted DE who is coming off of a career threatening injury.....can someone please explain this to me?

Maybe the FO doesn't think he has the pass rush ability that they want out of that guy, but he certainly has everything else. He's excellent in coverage, he was terrific against the run in college, and has the ability to be the same in the pros after he works on his base and learns to take on the bigger, more physical blockers of the NFL. He has good sideline to sideline speed. He's smart. He's tough. There is no reason I can see to move his ass. None.

So, someone needs to come up with a reasonable explanation for me, because I'm at a loss. I see Bobby Carpenter as our long-term future at SOLB, and becoming the solidifying peice to an abosolutely dominant LB corps. Until I see anything else, that's where I stand.

I also like Carp on the outside. He's the prototype SAM rushbacker. He's perfect for the outside. Maybe he can get stronger for the run a little, but that will come naturally. I actually think he's pretty good as a pass rusher. Ive seen better pass rush technique out of him compared to Ware, and I think with more playing time, the sack count will increase. He got a decent amount of hurries when given the chance.

I think the rumors of ILB come from the scheme in place. Wade almost exclusively uses his SAM rushbacker as another pass rusher. He rarely drops in coverage, similar to his WILL rushbacker. Theyre almost interchangeable.

The SILB is responsible usually for most coverage on the strongside. Seeing that Carp is an excellent coverage LB, Wade might want to move him to SILB and draft a pure pass rusher for SAM rushbacker.

Im not saying he'll do that, but its a legit possibility. Because if he implements the same pass rushing blitzes that he used in SD, he'll be asking Bradie James to be in man coverage or a soft zone with the TE...and thats not a good idea.

Or maybe you guys draft a Paul Pozluszny, or a Stewart Bradley and have a open competition at ILB?

Because right now, Bradie James doesn't fit this new scheme. Thats if of course, the scheme is the same as the one in SD. Maybe Wade will tweak it to accomodate the personnell in place, but if he doesn't, I see alot of potential mismatches in favor of the offense with the current personnell.

robert_in_bigd
04-16-2007, 07:52 AM
I also like Carp on the outside. He's the prototype SAM rushbacker. He's perfect for the outside. Maybe he can get stronger for the run a little, but that will come naturally. I actually think he's pretty good as a pass rusher. Ive seen better pass rush technique out of him compared to Ware, and I think with more playing time, the sack count will increase. He got a decent amount of hurries when given the chance.

I think the rumors of ILB come from the scheme in place. Wade almost exclusively uses his SAM rushbacker as another pass rusher. He rarely drops in coverage, similar to his WILL rushbacker. Theyre almost interchangeable.

The SILB is responsible usually for most coverage on the strongside. Seeing that Carp is an excellent coverage LB, Wade might want to move him to SILB and draft a pure pass rusher for SAM rushbacker.

Im not saying he'll do that, but its a legit possibility. Because if he implements the same pass rushing blitzes that he used in SD, he'll be asking Bradie James to be in man coverage or a soft zone with the TE...and thats not a good idea.

Or maybe you guys draft a Paul Pozluszny, or a Stewart Bradley and have a open competition at ILB?

Because right now, Bradie James doesn't fit this new scheme. Thats if of course, the scheme is the same as the one in SD. Maybe Wade will tweak it to accomodate the personnell in place, but if he doesn't, I see alot of potential mismatches in favor of the offense with the current personnell.

BBD, I think Burnett will move inside and replace Bradie. They need to make space for him anyway. If this happens, I think they will eventually move Bradie -- not that expensive, young and a great 4-3 run thumper in a man scheme.

On the SOLB/WOLB issue, I think they will look at a Jacob Ford / Zak DeOssie / Dallas Sartz type prospect for special teams duty who can bulk up over time and either backup Ware/Carp or come in on passing downs to give these guys a blow.

If Burnett goes inside and Ellis is almost done, we definately need some young talent at OLB and special teams either way .... round 3 and beyond to me but hey I am not paid the big bucks to do that.

bigbluedefense
04-16-2007, 10:17 AM
BBD, I think Burnett will move inside and replace Bradie. They need to make space for him anyway. If this happens, I think they will eventually move Bradie -- not that expensive, young and a great 4-3 run thumper in a man scheme.

On the SOLB/WOLB issue, I think they will look at a Jacob Ford / Zak DeOssie / Dallas Sartz type prospect for special teams duty who can bulk up over time and either backup Ware/Carp or come in on passing downs to give these guys a blow.

If Burnett goes inside and Ellis is almost done, we definately need some young talent at OLB and special teams either way .... round 3 and beyond to me but hey I am not paid the big bucks to do that.

Bradie is actually well suited for 3-4 ILB. Just not in this scheme. If you still ran the same scheme that BP ran, he was ideal.

You look at Bellichick in NE, he had his own Bradie James in Teddy Johnson, that scheme needs a big run thumper ILB. He's complimented by a Carl Banks/Mike Vrabel/Bobby Carpenter type on the outside and thats how it works.

For this new scheme, he has no fit. So he should be benched. I like Bradie though, I think he's a good player, he wouldve thrived this year if BP was still around to follow through on his developing defense. Maybe even a sleeper PB pick if that were the case.

Burnett might be too small on the inside. That could be a problem. Your run defense could suffer a little bit. If they can cut Ferguson and pull the guard at Burnett, thats 4 yards every time. He doesn't have the strength to take on that pulling OG. Which means, Agoynele (however you spell it) is really gonna have to do a great job bubbling around guys to make up some slack.

I always thought Burnett was more suited for 4-3 SAM opposed to any position on the 3-4. He can succeed though, but its up to Fergy to really occupy blockers. Fergy is getting older too, who knows how long he can hold up.

I like Stewart Bradley for you guys. That way, you can leave Carp on the outside, and you have the SILB you need to compliment Agonleye inside.

And you wouldn't have to spend a 1st or 2nd on the guy, I would assume. I think he's 3rd round material.

DMWSackMachine
04-16-2007, 11:16 AM
Actually, BBD, Burnett is extremely similar to Donnie Edwards, who Wade is well known for using as his "cover" 'backer in SD. From a strengths/weaknesses standpoint, they are almost the same player, except that I think Burnett has significantly more natural ability, while maybe not having quite the same feel for the game that Edwards had even as a young player.

So, I think that would work, especially if you used some sort of rotation with him and Bradie. The biggest complication, actually, would be the play calling, since Bradie is our leader on that side of the ball, and makes all the calls and gets everyone lined up, etc etc. But from a purely tactical standpoint, I think that plan has some merit.

For this season, I really like what Bobby brings for us. We still have Ellis coming back, and we have good personnel across the board on the outside and the inside, so his versatility could be huge for an inventive coordinator. I see him as playing a good portion of the snaps- maybe 40-50%--at the LOLB, and then maybe another 15-20% mixed in on the inside and subbing in for Ware. That sounds about right to me, but there is no telling what will happen with Wade implementing his own style of play with our D.

I think the biggest factor in Bobby's development will actually have more to do with the play of Spears and Canty, especially Spears. If each of those guys can do what they were brought here to do, then Bobby, DeMarcus and Ellis will all have great seasons. The DEs were the ones holding our pass rush back last season, and if Wade can get that problem solved, this unit has the potential to wreak havoc on opposing offenses.

robert_in_bigd
04-16-2007, 11:34 AM
Bradie is actually well suited for 3-4 ILB. Just not in this scheme. If you still ran the same scheme that BP ran, he was ideal.

You look at Bellichick in NE, he had his own Bradie James in Teddy Johnson, that scheme needs a big run thumper ILB. He's complimented by a Carl Banks/Mike Vrabel/Bobby Carpenter type on the outside and thats how it works.

For this new scheme, he has no fit. So he should be benched. I like Bradie though, I think he's a good player, he wouldve thrived this year if BP was still around to follow through on his developing defense. Maybe even a sleeper PB pick if that were the case.

Burnett might be too small on the inside. That could be a problem. Your run defense could suffer a little bit. If they can cut Ferguson and pull the guard at Burnett, thats 4 yards every time. He doesn't have the strength to take on that pulling OG. Which means, Agoynele (however you spell it) is really gonna have to do a great job bubbling around guys to make up some slack.

I always thought Burnett was more suited for 4-3 SAM opposed to any position on the 3-4. He can succeed though, but its up to Fergy to really occupy blockers. Fergy is getting older too, who knows how long he can hold up.

I like Stewart Bradley for you guys. That way, you can leave Carp on the outside, and you have the SILB you need to compliment Agonleye inside.

And you wouldn't have to spend a 1st or 2nd on the guy, I would assume. I think he's 3rd round material.

So just to ask, do you think James would make a good 4-3 MLB in a man based scheme?

Every time I see him I think of a faster, though smaller, Jeremiah Trotter. He has good speed but is somewhat over weight if you ask me. Looks stiff and too bulky.

On the Burnett issue he is 240lbs and 6"2. Maybe not the ideal 3-4 ILB but I think playing more 1 Gap really plays to his strengths.

bigbluedefense
04-16-2007, 11:39 AM
Actually, BBD, Burnett is extremely similar to Donnie Edwards, who Wade is well known for using as his "cover" 'backer in SD. From a strengths/weaknesses standpoint, they are almost the same player, except that I think Burnett has significantly more natural ability, while maybe not having quite the same feel for the game that Edwards had even as a young player.

So, I think that would work, especially if you used some sort of rotation with him and Bradie. The biggest complication, actually, would be the play calling, since Bradie is our leader on that side of the ball, and makes all the calls and gets everyone lined up, etc etc. But from a purely tactical standpoint, I think that plan has some merit.

For this season, I really like what Bobby brings for us. We still have Ellis coming back, and we have good personnel across the board on the outside and the inside, so his versatility could be huge for an inventive coordinator. I see him as playing a good portion of the snaps- maybe 40-50%--at the LOLB, and then maybe another 15-20% mixed in on the inside and subbing in for Ware. That sounds about right to me, but there is no telling what will happen with Wade implementing his own style of play with our D.

I think the biggest factor in Bobby's development will actually have more to do with the play of Spears and Canty, especially Spears. If each of those guys can do what they were brought here to do, then Bobby, DeMarcus and Ellis will all have great seasons. The DEs were the ones holding our pass rush back last season, and if Wade can get that problem solved, this unit has the potential to wreak havoc on opposing offenses.

Absolutely, I couldn't agree more. The fate of the defense rests with those 2, along with Roy Williams. Ive said for awhile now, that I feel that the defense's development is more dependent upon developing individual skills at TC opposed to a scheme change. I think how your young guys develop in TC is gonna be huge for this defense.

Burnett can work, but like I said, its up to Fergy to really occupy the interior line. Donnie wouldn't work in SD if it wasn't for Jamal Williams. And Donnie plays with a huge meanstreak, he plays much bigger than he is. But Burnett can work. Its just not an ideal fit, thats all.

Im not sure how I feel about a rotation between him and Bradie. Doing a rotation like that limits what you can do defensively, and that gives the offense a heads up on what type of play calls you'll put out when each player is in there. The playcalling/lining everyone up could be a problem. Its not a switch or an armband that you can just throw at someone else to do. So that is something worth noting and keeping an eye on.

Im looking forward to studying the scheme that Wade brings to Dallas. It should be, from my previous experiences watching it, similar to the overload blitz technique we will be using as well, just in a different base shell.

If Greg Lewis goes back to a more blitz oriented scheme in Washington, that means all 4 of our teams will be attacking defenses. That could be good in a way, but also bad in a way. You won't be catching your division opponents off guard, because they'll be very accustomed to playing against such a scheme.

This indicates to me, that its gonna be critical this year to have great oline play, and with all this talk about overhauling each our respective defenses, that it could be in fact, the team that produces the most consistently on offense that will win the division.

That gives the edge to Philly again. Their WCO is perfect for attacking a blitz heavy scheme, and they have the best oline out of all our teams. So on paper, as much as I hate to say it, looks like we're all chasing the evil empire once again.

bigbluedefense
04-16-2007, 11:44 AM
So just to ask, do you think James would make a good 4-3 MLB in a man based scheme?

Every time I see him I think of a faster, though smaller, Jeremiah Trotter. He has good speed but is somewhat over weight if you ask me. Looks stiff and too bulky.

On the Burnett issue he is 240lbs and 6"2. Maybe not the ideal 3-4 ILB but I think playing more 1 Gap really plays to his strengths.

Depends on the scheme. Bradie can thrive in the BP 3-4, he can succeed in the zone blitz 3-4 of Dick LeBeau, and he can thrive in a 4-3 defense that allows him to be a run thumper who occupies an intermediate zone/blitz on pass plays. He can't play Tampa 2, and he can't play man coverage. He's a sledgehammer MIKE like Trotter as you pointed out. If you use him in a 4-3, you gotta use him the same way Philly used Trotter, which is minimize his responsibilities in coverage.

draftguru151
04-20-2007, 03:08 PM

You guys definitely should have taken LenDale White, he had such a monster rookie year.