View Full Version : Who's the AL ROY?

BehrenMan007
07-27-2006, 02:06 PM
Liriano for me.

Eaglez.Fan
07-27-2006, 02:08 PM
http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/20050913/sox_2956.jpg

this will get locked soon but im gonna say papelbon b/c the red sox wouldn't be close to where they are without him.

M.O.T.H.
I refuse to answer this, it is too hard.

slightlyaraiderfan
I voted for Papelbon as of right now, but if Liriano or Verlander keep it up...I'll change my vote.

slightlyaraiderfan
07-27-2006, 02:09 PM
this will get locked soon but im gonna say papelbon b/c the red sox wouldn't be close to where they are without him.
It's not getting locked.

07-27-2006, 02:15 PM
Liriano if he keeps pitching like he is. If not than it's Papelbon.

07-27-2006, 02:15 PM
It's not getting locked.

good to know. if djp was on (which he never is) it would be.

Xiomera
07-27-2006, 02:16 PM
I am sorry, but Weaver should not be in this discussion.

slightlyaraiderfan
07-27-2006, 02:18 PM
It's not getting locked.

Well, he is no longer an off-topic mod.

slightlyaraiderfan
07-27-2006, 02:20 PM
I am sorry, but Weaver should not be in this discussion.
I agree he shouldn't be in the ROY discussion because he hasn't pitched enough, but he has impressed as much as the other rookie pitchers.

It's not getting locked.

djp locked the MLB Over/Under thread :( , that thread had potential.

Nerv
I have a feeling its going to be Verlander, and that just isnt the homer in me. The mlb tends to reward the players on the most succesful teams come awards time. Verlander is going to have very good numbers and if he avoids a ultra dissapointing 2nd half, 20 wins. Combine that with the possibility of the best record in the majors and homefield throughout the playoffs and I think mr. Verlander will be getting some hardware.

07-27-2006, 02:21 PM
I cannot believe Weaver has more votes than Verlander.

Jughead10
07-27-2006, 02:23 PM
Weaver is nasty and might be the best out of all of them in my opinion but he got too late of a start for to give him any serious consideration. So Liriano for me.

Brodeur
07-27-2006, 02:25 PM

Not anymore.

Papelbon closes games. Unless he saves 55 games, I don't see him having much of a chance against Verlander or Liriano. No clue why Weaver is on this poll by the way. Right now, it is neck and neck with Verlander and Liriano, but I just have a feeling that Liriano will sleep a tad bit because I don't think Minnesota is going to continue the way they have been playing.

ny10804
07-27-2006, 02:25 PM
If there were two rookie awards (pitching and offense), then who would the offensive award go to? Kenji Johjima? Or would they go all Matsui on him, and not count him as a rookie. Or how about Melky Cabrera ? :wink:

DHVF
07-27-2006, 02:27 PM

Not anymore.

Papelbon closes games. Unless he saves 55 games, I don't see him having much of a chance against Verlander or Liriano. No clue why Weaver is on this poll by the way. Right now, it is neck and neck with Verlander and Liriano, but I just have a feeling that Liriano will sleep a tad bit because I don't think Minnesota is going to continue the way they have been playing.I feel the same exact way. If Minnesota falters towards the end of the season, Verlander wins, but if we continue with this hot play and stay in contention, Liriano could very well win.

slightlyaraiderfan
07-27-2006, 02:28 PM
If there were two rookie awards (pitching and offense), then who would the offensive award go to? Kenji Johjima? Or would they go all Matsui on him, and not count him as a rookie. Or how about Melky Cabrera ? :wink:
Those are the only options? :?

Brodeur
07-27-2006, 02:30 PM

Johjima has decent offensive stats, but he has been calling horrible games for the Mariners. Hell, no pitcher has under a 4.19 ERA on the team. And Melky doesn't deserve the Gold Glove(I keep telling you this).

ny10804
07-27-2006, 02:32 PM

(To get this out of the way -- by offensive I meant non-pitching...)

No those aren't the only options, just two I offered.

AL Rookies (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting?split=0&league=al&season=2006&seasonType=2&sort=runs&type=reg&ageMin=17&ageMax=51&state=0&college=0&country=0&hand=a&pos=rookie)

07-27-2006, 02:33 PM
Why only pitchers for the poll?

M.O.T.H.
07-27-2006, 02:34 PM

Have you seen the AL rookie batters?

AL Rookies (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting?split=0&league=al&season=2006&seasonType=2&sort=runs&type=reg&ageMin=17&ageMax=51&state=0&college=0&country=0&hand=a&pos=rookie)

wow not that much PT for offensive rookies in the AL this year. Johjima has the best offensive numbers but like brodeur said he has been terrible at calling games this year so i would have to go with cabrera.

ny10804

Johjima has decent offensive stats, but he has been calling horrible games for the Mariners. Hell, no pitcher has under a 4.19 ERA on the team. And Melky doesn't deserve the Gold Glove(I keep telling you this).

Everyone keeps telling me this. Either way, I don't mind a 1000 fielding % and a league leading (actually a 3-way tie) 9 outfield assists --- in limited time.

T-Col
Liriano if the Twins make the playoffs. If not, Papelbon.

07-27-2006, 02:35 PM
Liriano if the Twins make the playoffs. If not, Papelbon.

I agree

07-27-2006, 02:35 PM
It's not getting locked.

whyd they change the forums that the mods have? and why is Xio a mod?

Jensen
07-27-2006, 02:36 PM
Papelbon as of right now. Verlander would be my second choice.

Nerv
07-27-2006, 02:36 PM

Hmmm I thought Granderson was a rookie, he must have played enough games last season to lose that title for this year. He has better numbers than these rookies, .284 11HR 47RBI 7SB 63R and 0 errors with a 100% fielding percentage out in center.

ny10804
07-27-2006, 02:38 PM
It's not getting locked.

I know! I even PMed him just to let him know. I should start another one...

slightlyaraiderfan
07-27-2006, 02:39 PM
It's not getting locked.

I know! I even PMed him just to let him know. I should start another one...
Don't start another one, i can unlock it.

S4L
07-27-2006, 02:40 PM
Liriano: 12-2, 1.93 ERA, 0.97 WHIP, 10.44 K/9IN
Verlander: 13-4, 2.69 ERA, 1.12 WHIP, 6.03 K/9IN
Papelbon: 2-1, 0.53 ERA, 29/32 SV, 0.70 WHIP, 9.09 K/9IN
Weaver: 7-0, 1.15 ERA, 0.78 WHIP, 7.66 K/9IN

The way I see it, it's neck and neck between Liriano and Papelbon. But if Weaver keeps this up, he'll be right in the thick of things.

Brodeur
07-27-2006, 02:45 PM

Everyone keeps telling me this. Either way, I don't mind a 1000 fielding % and a league leading (actually a 3-way tie) 9 outfield assists --- in limited time.

He made an error in RF earlier in the year.

Staubach12
07-27-2006, 02:47 PM
Papelbon

Eaglez.Fan
07-27-2006, 02:50 PM
I changed my mind to-

http://www.dr4b.org/pictures/Baseball/Twins/Liriano2.JPG

07-27-2006, 02:56 PM

Have you seen the AL rookie batters?have you seen Mike Napoli?

07-27-2006, 02:57 PM

would even win AL offensive rookie of the year if that was real

07-27-2006, 02:58 PM

would even win AL offensive rookie of the year if that was realque? I dont understand what you put.

07-27-2006, 03:01 PM

would even win AL offensive rookie of the year if that was realque? I dont understand what you put.

if there was an award for AL offensive rookie of the year he wouldnt win it.

07-27-2006, 03:08 PM

if there was an award for AL offensive rookie of the year he wouldnt win it.who would?

07-27-2006, 03:09 PM
probably melky

P-L
07-27-2006, 04:29 PM
Tough one for me. I'm leaning Verlander right now, but if Liriano gets to 18-20 wins and a sub 2.50 ERA, he'll take it. Sorry, call me an old fashioned baseball fan but when it is a close race like this I'm going to give it to the guy who has started the entire year, not almost two months into the season. I have a gut feeling Liriano will take it in the end, as he's gotten more hype and voters drool over K numbers. But for now, I say Verlander by a hair over Liriano.

Why shouldn't Weaver be in the discussion? With the way he is pitching he could come close (he won't reach it) to the leader qualifying IP, usually around 14-160. If he keeps the ERA down and the K's down he'll be fine. It isn't out of the question for him to win 12-15 this season. The same people who are saying that Weaver hasn't pitched enough are the same people that were drooling over Liriano and calling him ROY after 8 or so starts. I don't think he deserves it, but I thought I'd start an argument.

M.O.T.H.
07-27-2006, 04:41 PM

Yes I have and even if there was a rookie of the year for batters only, his .256 avg wouldnt cut it. It would go to either Cabrera or Johjima who plays the same position as Napoli. Nick Markakis may have gotton more votes than Napoli as well.

On a plus note for Napoli, he has shown amazing power in the minors and in his short stint in the majors.

jets future
07-27-2006, 04:47 PM
this is really hard i would have to go with liriano, or papelbon, if i would have to pick from them i would take liriano

harrison37
07-27-2006, 05:07 PM
Liriano

The Unseen
07-27-2006, 05:10 PM
I think Liriano should win it, but Verlander will. Voters go for the guy who gets more wins on the better team. Right now, that's Verlander.

P-L
07-27-2006, 05:14 PM
I think Liriano should win it, but Verlander will. Voters go for the guy who gets more wins on the better team. Right now, that's Verlander.

More times than not they go for the guy with the most hype and more K's.

The Unseen
07-27-2006, 05:18 PM
...well, in that case, Liriano. I may have been thinking of the Cy Young, or am I wrong there, too? Becuase these guys could also be fighting for the Cy.

TCU
07-27-2006, 05:19 PM
Verlander gets my vote.

TitleTown088
07-27-2006, 07:25 PM
liriano easily.

P-L
07-27-2006, 07:32 PM
liriano easily.

Easily? Maybe easily ROY for the Twins but I'd say this is the closest race in a long time.

Tobzilla
07-27-2006, 08:07 PM
liriano easily.

No, not easily. Its cool that your a twins fan, but stop saying things like that and comparing Liriano to Santana. :roll:

JagsFanWL
07-27-2006, 08:09 PM
liriano easily.

No, not easily. Its cool that your a twins fan, but stop saying things like that and comparing Liriano to Santana. :roll:

What's wrong with that? They have similar deliveries, both have great change-ups, both lefties. What is so different about them?

If I had to pick right now, I'd pick Justin Verlander, but if the Twins keep playing this well and possibly make the playoffs, I might lean towards Liriano. Papelbon and then Melky Cabrera would be my 3 and 4 choices

M.O.T.H.
07-27-2006, 08:11 PM
liriano easily.

What's wrong with that? They have similar deliveries, both have great change-ups, both lefties. What is so different about them?

If I had to pick right now, I'd pick Justin Verlander, but if the Twins keep playing this well and possibly make the playoffs, I might lean towards Liriano. Papelbon and then Melky Cabrera would be my 3 and 4 choices

No Melky.

P-L
07-27-2006, 08:12 PM
If Papelbon approaches 50 saves, the Red Sox win the East, and his ERA remains under 1.00, then I say give it to him. If not, I think he's third.

ny10804
07-27-2006, 08:12 PM
liriano easily.

No Melky.

Got Melky? Yes.

JagsFanWL
07-27-2006, 08:14 PM
liriano easily.

No Melky.

As the 4th place finisher? Why not? He's going to bat around .280 and he's been huge in their success thus far this season. Melky has shattered expectations when he came in to replace Sheffield when Sheffield first went down. He's been terrific in the field, with only 2 erros, when his defense was the only thing said to be wrong with his game.

M.O.T.H.
07-27-2006, 08:17 PM
liriano easily.

No Melky.

As the 4th place finisher? Why not? He's going to bat around .280 and he's been huge in their success thus far this season. Melky has shattered expectations when he came in to replace Sheffield when Sheffield first went down. He's been terrific in the field, with only 2 erros, when his defense was the only thing said to be wrong with his game.

I know he's been good, I think Weaver will finish 4th the way he has been pitching. Plus, this is the year of the rookie picther.

JagsFanWL
07-27-2006, 08:20 PM
liriano easily.

No Melky.

I know he's been good, I think Weaver will finish 4th the way he has been pitching. Plus, this is the year of the rookie picther.

Oh yeah, Weaver...

Well, if there was a Rookie Batter and Rookie Pitcher awards instead of just 1 Rookie of the Year, no question that Melky is the favorite in the A.L.

P-L
07-27-2006, 08:21 PM
I like what Melky has done this year, but I think right now he is only 5th.

1. Verlander
2. Liriano
3. Papelbon
4. Weaver
5. Cabrera

JagsFanWL
07-27-2006, 08:21 PM
I like what Melky has done this year, but I think right now he is only 5th.

1. Verlander
2. Liriano
3. Papelbon
4. Weaver
5. Cabrera

Yeah, i agree with that now. I totally forgot about Jered Weaver.

07-27-2006, 08:37 PM
probably melkyare you joking?

Tobzilla
07-27-2006, 10:54 PM
liriano easily.

Yes they are similar, but the other day he was saying Liriano is better than Johan, which is just a foolish thing to say at this point in time.

VoteLynnSwan
07-27-2006, 11:08 PM
it's between Papelbon and Liriano for me. Paps has been the best closer in baseball thus far, and Liriano has been better than Verlander. If the Twinkies come anywhere near the playoffs, i think Liriano wins it... but i do think Papelbon should.