PDA

View Full Version : !st round draft with explanations

woodsy10@
04-13-2007, 04:30 PM
Before I get to the picks:

I was a regular contributor to this board from its inception (under this name) until, actually, a few weeks after last years draft. (Some of the older posters may remember my writeup of the 2005 first day, which criticized Denver’s draft, and how Chris proceeded to destroy me. ) I rediscovered the site a few days ago, and felt compelled to rejoin.

Now, the picks, without any trades.

1. Oakland – Calvin Johnson, WR, Georgia Tech

One of the hall of fame posters, nobodyinparticular, continually pointed out to the board that the Raiders have taken exactly one QB (Todd Marinovich) in round 1 during their time in the NFL. Now, this would be the best year to simply take JaMarcus Russell and get an elite QB, but that won’t be the case while Al Davis is alive.

2. Detroit – JaMarcus Russell, QB, Louisiana State

The Lions need to trade down from the spot, but without CJ to use as bait they take the best QB available. Of course, if Matt Millen was a competent GM he would know this.

3. Cleveland – Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame

Quinn really seems to want to play for the Browns, and so do they (except Romeo Crenell, who will be fired next year). The problem with evaluating Quinn is that Notre Dame has never had a very good team around him, so I’m willing to give him a shot here.

4. Tampa Bay – Amobi Okoye, DT, Louisville

Absolute worst case scenario here for the Buccaneers. Jon Gruden really likes Okoye, and will take him here if he has to. He likes CJ better, though, and if the Raiders don’t take him they will trade up.

5. Arizona – Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin

Like many NFL teams, the Cardinals need a dominant LT. Thomas will allow them to not waste the vast talents of the rest of the offense.

6. Washington – Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson

Another trade-down candidate because of their pitiful trades over the last year. If the Redskins can’t get a deal done, Adams would be a good consolation.

7. Minnesota – Jamaal Anderson, DE, Arkansas

I can’t see the Vikings taking Adrian Peterson this early to function as a change-of-pace back to Chester Taylor. Adams, if he slips, would certainly be the pick here.

8. Atlanta (from Houston) – LaRon Landry, S, Louisiana State

After raping Houston in the Matt Schaub deal, the Falcons could possibly trade up for CJ, but Landry would fill a much bigger need.

9. Miami – Ted Ginn Jr., WR, Ohio State

The Dolphins, although they need a major overhaul, don’t have one huge area of weakness (except QB, and if Quinn drops he will be snapped up). Ginn would fill the multiple roles that Wes Welker did, and better.

10. Houston (from Atlanta) – Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma

A big talent will fall, whether it be Peterson, Quinn, or Adams. The Texans honestly don’t need a RB as much, say, an OL, but the VY factor of Peterson being from Texas will heavily influence their pick.

11. San Francisco – Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska

The 49ers are continuing to implement the 3-4, and need a DE for their line. One of those picks that is so right that I don’t need to elaborate on it further.

12. Buffalo – Patrick Willis, ILB, Mississippi

I can’t see the Bills taking another injury-prone RB after Willis McGahee. Besides, London Fletcher left a bigger hole than McGahee.

13. St. Louis – Darrelle Revis, CB, Pittsburgh

Revis seems to have overtaken Leon Hall recently (I was praying that he would last to #25). If not him, the Rams could look at Carriker if he falls.

14. Carolina – Jon Beason, OLB, Miami (FL)

Every year, the experts pick the Panthers to take a TE, and every year they don’t. This year is no exception.

15. Pittsburgh – Leon Hall, CB, Michigan

Jamaal Anderson has been a popular pick to fall out of the top 10, which I suspect is because of their luck of 2004 (Ben Roethisberger). If this unlikely scenario doesn’t happen, Hall would be the pick for the Steelers.

16. Green Bay – Marshawn Lynch, RB, California

Another obvious pick. The Packers need an RB, and Lynch is by far the best RB left. Robert Meachem or Dwayne Bowe are possibilities, but remember that the team has picked 5 WRs in the last two drafts.

17. Jacksonville – Reggie Nelson, S, Florida

See above analysis. The Jaguars have other holes, but none as big as the one in their secondary.

18. Cincinnati – Greg Olsen, TE, Miami (FL)

TE is not a big need for the Bengals. However, the team’s image has gotten so bad recently that I think the team will want to select a white, hard working player to help better it.

19. Tennessee – Robert Meachem, WR, Tennessee

I hadn’t noticed the symmetry before. But anyway, the Titans need a weapon for Vince Young, since one-year wonder Drew Bennett has finally left.

20. New York Giants – Joe Staley, OT, Central Michigan

It was either Staley or Levi Brown for the Giants, but Staley is an LT while Brown will play the right side, and Kareem McKenzie is the game’s highest paid RT.

21. Denver – Jarvis Moss, DE, Florida

These picks lately are very easy. Everyone has Moss going to the Broncos, and I won’t differ, it’s a good pick, especially with Al Wilson’s release.

22. Dallas – Dwayne Jarrett, WR, Southern California

The Cowboys will need a WR with T.O.’s inevitable public blowup and release, and the team likes Jarrett.

23. Kansas City – Levi Brown, OT, Penn State

There are bigger holes at WR and defense, but someone, namely the Chiefs, will stop Brown’s slide through the middle of round 1.

24. New England (from Seattle) – Aaron Ross, CB, Texas
25. New York Jets – Chris Houston, CB, Tennessee

I’ve heard that the Patriots like Ross and the Jets like Houston, even though Houston is probably the better long-term pick. (I like the Jets, but that does not influence my choice – I want Darrelle Revis, but there’s no way he falls now.)

26. Philadelphia – Brian Leonard, FB, Rutgers

A fullback in round 1? Yes, the Eagles need a second RB to pair with Brian Westbrook, and Leonard, besides attending college near the city, would fill the role easily.

27. New Orleans – Paul Posluszny, OLB, Penn State

The Saints could go in any direction right here, so I’ve given them the BPA. If he fails on the outside, he could always move in.

28. New England – Lawrence Timmons, OLB, Florida State

Yes, they signed Adalius Thomas, but they still need a lot of depth at the position, and Timmons should have been taken long ago.

29. Baltimore – Ben Grubbs, OG, Auburn

Yes, they lost Adalius Thomas, but I suspect the Ravens will take a rush end later or use their depth to replace him.

30. San Diego – Brandon Meriweather, S, Miami (FL)

A WR is possible, but the Charges already have LT and Antonio Gates for Philip Rivers to throw to, so they can wait.

31. Chicago – Justin Harrell, DT, Tennessee

Tank Johnson is out for half the season, and could be kicked out of the league in the future. (I’d like to see the Bears take Trent Edwards, but that will never happen.)

32. Indianapolis – Anthony Spencer, DE, Purdue

The Colts take the local product to fill the Cato June rush role. They can get more DL help in round 3 (Tampa owns their 2).

princefielder28
04-13-2007, 04:31 PM
obvious is the right word for the Packers pick of Lynch

HawkeyeFan
04-13-2007, 04:31 PM
Darrelle Revis, love the pick!

PalmerToCJ
04-13-2007, 04:45 PM
Are you kidding?

Seriously...

go_ravens94
04-13-2007, 04:47 PM
So-so Ravens pick.

RaiderNation
04-13-2007, 05:35 PM
GREAT raider pick

hugegmenfan
04-13-2007, 05:52 PM
bad giants pick. staley is not 20th overall material despite what any one says. timmons, houston or brown

asmitty45
04-13-2007, 06:31 PM
If the lions would take adams there, he's higher on their board

doingthisinsteadofwork
04-13-2007, 06:33 PM
how do you know NIP?

DraftMasterG
04-13-2007, 10:31 PM
Good draft CJ is #1 and Russell #2 the Browns at 3 can do whatever they want and the Bucs would be best off trading down IMO.

Caddy
04-13-2007, 10:33 PM
Not the worst case scenario for the Bucs. If Quinn, CJ and Joe Thomas are gone then that would be the worst case scenario.

DraftMasterG
04-13-2007, 10:43 PM
well no becuz they could get JaMarcus Russell and he can throw the ball like 50 yards from his butt.

raidersfan86
04-13-2007, 10:45 PM
well no becuz they could get JaMarcus Russell and he can throw the ball like 50 yards from his butt.

wtf are you retarted? jeez

DraftMasterG
04-13-2007, 10:48 PM
wtf are you retarted? jeez

well he can.

Yung Flippa
04-13-2007, 10:49 PM
ok ravens pick

woodsy10@
04-13-2007, 11:09 PM
how do you know NIP?

He was also one of the original posters on this site.

ripdw27
04-13-2007, 11:36 PM
i dont like jarvis moss in the first place and this particular draft makes it worse because were passing on levi brown...we traded away george foster (he wasnt great in the first place) and most of our o line is older.

woodsy10@
04-14-2007, 07:45 PM
If anyone hasn't noticed, I forgot Alan Branch. I'll say he goes mid-first, though he could really drop.

Bengals1690
04-14-2007, 07:49 PM
eh up yours. that was prolly the worst post ever. - rep.

LitoSheppard
04-14-2007, 07:56 PM
I would rather have Griffin Meriwether Buster Davis and Marcus McCauley or Aaron Ross or Chris Houston before taking Leonard, That being said Leonard gets a B because I would love to see him on this offense as a weapon