PDA

View Full Version : Tuscaloosa, Alabama...

MicktheGreat
04-13-2007, 05:31 PM
Just wondering if anybody has been to or lived in Tuscaloosa. If so, what were you impressions? Did you like the city? Was it considerably violent or expensive or uninteresting or anything???

The reason that I ask is because there's a good chance that'll I'll be moving there to further my education sometime in the near future; so I'm looking for all the insight I can get as to the city of Tuscaloosa itself...

Seriously...any help/opinions on the city would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance...

Freddy G
04-13-2007, 05:38 PM
Keyword, Alabama.

I used to live in the panhandle of FL and would venture into AL for various reasons. It may just be the most god forsaken place on the planet. Montgomery isn't bad, and Auburn is a college town, but other than that most places are pretty redneck (not neccessarily a bad thing depending). If you go to Birmingham, plan on getting shot.

...oh yeah, the question.

Tuscaloosa, never spent much time there, but as far as could tell it was just your average town. University of Alambama is there, but there really isn't anything special about. Like any place in the south there are a lot of civil war and civil rights museums and stuff. Not sure about safety, but nothing indicated it was a dangerous place, just average.

MicktheGreat
04-13-2007, 05:58 PM
Keyword, Alabama.

I used to live in the panhandle of FL and would venture into AL for various reasons. It may just be the most god forsaken place on the planet. Montgomery isn't bad, and Auburn is a college town, but other than that most places are pretty redneck (not neccessarily a bad thing depending). If you go to Birmingham, plan on getting shot.

Tuscaloosa, never spent much time there, but as far as could tell it was just your average town. University of Alambama is there, but there really isn't anything special about. Like any place in the south there are a lot of civil war and civil rights museums and stuff. Not sure about safety, but nothing indicated it was a dangerous place, just average.

Thanks for the opinions...

I've been to Birmingham once for a wedding, but it wasn't enough to form an opinion on Alabama as a whole. I'm from TN, so I assume that it's not TOO much different.

If Tuscaloosa is just an average town, then I can deal with that (as I've lived most of my life in smaller, average towns). And I'm not much of a socialite or party-animal or anything, so if it's "boring," that's fine by me too. I just don't want to move to a place where I have to be in constant fear of being shot/mugged/etc., if that makes sense...

Ward
04-13-2007, 06:00 PM
You're worried about being shot/mugged in Tuscaloosa? Dude try living in Detroit, Cleveland, or Dallas.

MicktheGreat
04-13-2007, 06:09 PM
You're worried about being shot/mugged in Tuscaloosa? Dude try living in Detroit, Cleveland, or Dallas.

True...

I worry about getting shot/mugged, in general. Like Woody Allen says: "I'm not afraid of dying. I just don't want to be there when it happens..."

jballa838
04-13-2007, 08:07 PM

or L.A., or Compton.

Nitschke-Hawk
04-13-2007, 08:13 PM
Chi Town!!

princefielder28
04-13-2007, 08:22 PM

I hear Detroit is rough at times

draftguru151
04-13-2007, 08:35 PM
Keyword, Alabama.

How is Auburn? I've only been there once and didn't really travel around a lot. That's the one thing I am worried is the location.

neko4
04-13-2007, 08:43 PM
I hear Detroit is rough at times

Prince George County

DC used to be...

Freddy G
04-13-2007, 09:37 PM
How is Auburn? I've only been there once and didn't really travel around a lot. That's the one thing I am worried is the location.

Auburn is, well, Auburn because that is pretty much all that is there. However if your a NASCAR fan Talledega isn't too far away...lol

The town is focused around the university. Kind of in the middle of no where though. Typical college town. Think Gainsville, Athens Georgia etc...

Xiomera
04-13-2007, 10:14 PM

Ward, have you ever been to Detroit?

Just curious . . .

Ward
04-13-2007, 10:19 PM
Ward, have you ever been to Detroit?

Just curious . . .

No, nor Cleveland. I made that statement based off of crime rates.

The Dynasty
04-13-2007, 10:29 PM
Just wondering if anybody has been to or lived in Tuscaloosa. If so, what were you impressions? Did you like the city? Was it considerably violent or expensive or uninteresting or anything???

The reason that I ask is because there's a good chance that'll I'll be moving there to further my education sometime in the near future; so I'm looking for all the insight I can get as to the city of Tuscaloosa itself...

Seriously...any help/opinions on the city would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance...

Yeah actually one of my relatives lived there and I visited about 2 years ago. I loved the city but not much to do all i did down there was Eat and went to the see the College because I was considering Alabama after my 2 yrs at the Community College im going too. They have one place there i loved and it was called Dreamland it was a BBQ Rib Place Mm it was good and i hate BBQ Sauce. I was there with family so i didnt see much of the College Life stuff but i saw the Mall which was nice and a book store. The worst thing was the trip which was 14 hour drive from New York.

Billingsley26
04-13-2007, 11:54 PM
Yeah actually one of my relatives lived there and I visited about 2 years ago. I loved the city but not much to do all i did down there was Eat and went to the see the College because I was considering Alabama after my 2 yrs at the Community College im going too. They have one place there i loved and it was called Dreamland it was a BBQ Rib Place Mm it was good and i hate BBQ Sauce. I was there with family so i didnt see much of the College Life stuff but i saw the Mall which was nice and a book store. The worst thing was the trip which was 14 hour drive from New York.

Eh, where do you live in NY? What CC did you go to? I was looking at Erie CC? any thoughts on it...football wise?

MicktheGreat
04-14-2007, 12:31 AM

Thanks for the insight...much appreciated...

ThEvIcTR
04-14-2007, 12:47 AM
Down town Detroit is nice except for the river. It is when you go into redford, east dearborn, and warren is when it gets real bad.

When i drove threw Alabama i didn't think I was gonna make it. Nothing is there it is so damn hot and muggy and your on a 1 lane highway threw nothing but country.

SuperMcGee
04-14-2007, 12:54 AM
Eh, where do you live in NY? What CC did you go to? I was looking at Erie CC? any thoughts on it...football wise?

Good old ECC. Everyone Can Come. Not sure if the team is any good, but the field is right by Ralph Wilson Stadium.

unrelated quote: "You're breaking my Tuscaloosa Heart"

diabsoule
04-14-2007, 03:47 AM
Keyword, Alabama.

No offense, but that is VERY stereotypical.

The southern most counties are very hospitable. Counties like Baldwin, Mobile, and the like are very comfortable and friendly. I really like the area and I'm from Louisiana. The only reason I know about the areas is because my mom used to live in Baldwin County for a few years and I visited there quite often. I felt that the areas made you feel right at home. If you like to get out and do outside activities then you will feel right at home. Plus there are numerous down home country eateries and seafood restaurants that are all around the area.

I don't know much about the Tuscaloosa area but only about southern Alabama.

Freddy G
04-14-2007, 10:21 AM
No offense, but that is VERY stereotypical.

The southern most counties are very hospitable. Counties like Baldwin, Mobile, and the like are very comfortable and friendly. I really like the area and I'm from Louisiana. The only reason I know about the areas is because my mom used to live in Baldwin County for a few years and I visited there quite often. I felt that the areas made you feel right at home. If you like to get out and do outside activities then you will feel right at home. Plus there are numerous down home country eateries and seafood restaurants that are all around the area.

I don't know much about the Tuscaloosa area but only about southern Alabama.

Well, i lived in Santa Rosa county, which is just two counties south of Baldwin. And i know what your saying, and i agree. Nothing like southern hospitality. I was just speaking in a general sense, as the guy is going to school, and probably isn't ready to settle down and start a family.

Oh, and I LOVE gulf coast seafood, cajun food is amazing, and fresh gulf fish is great too.

Staubach12
04-14-2007, 10:55 AM
Well, i lived in Santa Rosa county, which is just two counties south of Baldwin. And i know what your saying, and i agree. Nothing like southern hospitality. I was just speaking in a general sense, as the guy is going to school, and probably isn't ready to settle down and start a family.

Oh, and I LOVE gulf coast seafood, cajun food is amazing, and fresh gulf fish is great too.

My family is from Louisiana, so every time I go down there, my Grandma cooks 24/7. She can cook cajun like no other. I love it.

The Dynasty
04-14-2007, 12:30 PM

I live on the Border of NY/PA but only like an 1 or 2 from Buffalo. I was looking at JCC because its in my town. I really dont know much about ECC all i know its right next to Ralph Wilson Stadium and One of my Brothers friend was like 4th String QB other than that I dont know much about them.

duckseason
04-14-2007, 05:52 PM
This Beer laws and people who support them are more than enough reason to stay as far away as possible.

http://www.brookston.org/beer/alabama-maintains-image-of-backwardness/
http://www.freethehops.org/index.php

DChess
04-14-2007, 05:53 PM

yeah, we dont **** around

Billingsley26
04-14-2007, 09:40 PM
Good old ECC. Everyone Can Come. Not sure if the team is any good, but the field is right by Ralph Wilson Stadium.

unrelated quote: "You're breaking my Tuscaloosa Heart"

Ive known it was beside the Ralph for time, thats the original reason I had thought of it, lol. I know the team is allright, they finished 2nd in their conference last year. I know Buffalo pretty good, as well as WNY, gotta lot of family there, not to mention Bills and SAbres seasons tix.

mfkrush
04-14-2007, 09:41 PM
I live in Compton, you guys are talking about worried about being shot. I keep a gun in my microwave just incase suckas.

yourfavestoner
04-15-2007, 03:50 AM
This Beer laws and people who support them are more than enough reason to stay as far away as possible.

http://www.brookston.org/beer/alabama-maintains-image-of-backwardness/
http://www.freethehops.org/index.php

Wow. Just wow....

Titans10
04-15-2007, 02:06 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuscaloosa%2C_AL