PDA

View Full Version : Help going into ACT test

Phrost
04-13-2007, 09:10 PM
Hey guys I am a few days away from my go at the ACT test any tips or input or whatever?

neko4
04-13-2007, 09:10 PM
Hey guys I am a few days away from my go at the ACT test any tips or input or whatever?

stop coming to this site for a week

Phrost
04-13-2007, 09:12 PM
stop coming to this site for a week

Trust me I have gotten my studying in and everything but any help would be nice.

neko4
04-13-2007, 09:13 PM
Trust me I have gotten my studying in and everything but any help would be nice.

oh! alrite i cant help you there...sorry

Ward
04-13-2007, 09:14 PM
If you've studied, what do you need us for? Get a good night's sleep and eat a healthy breakfast.

Moses
04-13-2007, 09:17 PM
Be awake for at least 4 hours before the test. Get a good night's sleep (8+ hours). Eat well. Hydrate. Clear your mind before you go into the exam.

Phrost
04-13-2007, 09:21 PM
Be awake for at least 4 hours before the test. Get a good night's sleep (8+ hours). Eat well. Hydrate. Clear your mind before you go into the exam.

3 in the MORNING!?!?!

Moses
04-13-2007, 09:24 PM
3 in the MORNING!?!?!

The exam is at 7 AM? That's pretty terrible. I would aim for at least 2 hours then.

Xiomera
04-13-2007, 09:25 PM
Make sure you answer every question, whether you are guessing or not. Wrong answers don't count against you, as I'm sure you know.

Phrost
04-13-2007, 09:26 PM
The exam is at 7 AM? That's pretty terrible. I would aim for at least 2 hours then.

OK thanks.

Freddy G
04-13-2007, 09:42 PM
Read FAST. That is the worst part, if your a slow reader your done for, as they barely give you enough time to read/scim the passages and logically answer the questions.

Math is easy, but sometimes they will throw some weird wording at you to throw you off.

jballa838
04-13-2007, 09:47 PM
take a PGD(pre-game dump) to help relieve stress and take some material in there to study, plus that way you won't have to go during the test

Jay
04-13-2007, 09:57 PM
Bring #2 pencils.

mfkrush
04-13-2007, 10:07 PM
Just make sure you take your time and every so often check and make sure you're bubbling in the right answers. I've taken a english test and got to #48 before realizing I was one off on the bubbling. I was pissed.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
04-13-2007, 10:40 PM
I LOVE taking standardized tests. I've always done well. I took the ACT only once, and did not study for it one bit. My composite score was a 28. I made a 34 on the English section, 28 on Reading, 27 on Science, and my lowest score was a 23 on the Math section (I did not take any math my senior year in H.S., and again, I did not study therefore I was pretty rusty in that area). If I would have taken it again and studied up on some Math I probably could have done a little better, but I was honestly satisfied with my 28.

Enough about me, good luck to you.

bantx
04-13-2007, 10:42 PM
get off the forums and study......

chief_fan88
04-14-2007, 12:07 AM
I LOVE taking standardized tests. I've always done well. I took the ACT only once, and did not study for it one bit. My composite score was a 28. I made a 34 on the English section, 28 on Reading, 27 on Science, and my lowest score was a 23 on the Math section (I did not take any math my senior year in H.S., and again, I did not study therefore I was pretty rusty in that area). If I would have taken it again and studied up on some Math I probably could have done a little better, but I was honestly satisfied with my 28.

Enough about me, good luck to you.

Thats like me, i seem to do good on tests, but i cant do regular home work, its like once i see it on a test it just hits me and makes sense. The first time i took it i didnt study and got a 25, the 2nd time i didnt study and got a 26, i was just hoping to get a 21 so i could get into college lol.

But a tip from me, chew gum, its suppose to make you think faster or better or something wierd like that, and good luck.

Namy
04-14-2007, 12:21 AM
caffeine helps. eat a moderate breakfast. get good sleep. dont stress.

and

read fast

sweetness34
04-14-2007, 12:58 AM
1) Make sure you bring your calculator (I forgot mine and it screwed me big time in the Math)

2) Take a leak before you leave to take the test (I assume it's at a separate site from your school)

3) Turn off your phone completely...Trust me, a couple kids in my room got kicked out b/c they thought their phones were on vibrate. Better yet just leave it in your car or leave it at home.

4) Don't take too much time on one question. If you don't know it, you don't know it, so skip it and come back to it. Or just guess.

5) Skim the reading. Unless you read at a genius level you won't be able to get all the reading done in the alloted time. It worked for me, got a 30 in my reading.

That's some of my advice for you from past experience. And if you mess up, don't sweat it b/c you can retake it like 4 times.

yodabear
04-14-2007, 01:34 AM
ACT means ****, it ain't the end of your life, I did awful and I still got into college.

raidersfan86
04-14-2007, 01:40 AM
i got a 16, average i guess

j05son
04-14-2007, 02:44 AM
*Remember that it's just an exam. Don't put to much pressure on yourself.
*Answer every question no matter what.
*In the reading section, GO FAST! I seriously got 2/4 stories done in the alloted time.
*If you take small amounts of caffeine while studying, it will help you to remember more of the information and help process things at a faster rate.

I had very high scores for writing and near retardation scores for reading...Apparently, I write well, I just don't understand it...?

LOL.

If you want to get into Ohio PUBLIC schools, you pretty much only have to take the test. I remember you saying once about Xavier [maybe] and OSU [pretty sure] and if it's public you have a great shot as long as you take them in all honesty.

Lastly, I would recommend public schools over private on a financial basis...Unless finances aren't a problem...

someone447
04-14-2007, 03:13 AM
I was really drunk when I wrote this and it was stupid.

iowatreat54
04-14-2007, 03:18 AM
ACT means ****, it ain't the end of your life, I did awful and I still got into college.

actually the majority of schools look at ACT/SAT scores more than GPA...also scholarships look at them a lot also...I mean I got into college purely on my ACT score so it is pretty important...

but yea just make sure you wake up early enough so that you are fully awake for the test, eat a good breakfast(not too big), and take your time and don't freak out lol also yea the reading part blows you have to read kinda fast but the rest shouldn't be too hard

Staubach12
04-14-2007, 10:13 AM
Read FAST. That is the worst part, if your a slow reader your done for, as they barely give you enough time to read/scim the passages and logically answer the questions.

Math is easy, but sometimes they will throw some weird wording at you to throw you off.

I've been officialy diagnosed with ADD, so I can take all the time I'd like.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
04-14-2007, 11:50 AM

That's probably below average. I took the ACT in the 7th grade and made a 17.

ny10804
04-14-2007, 12:09 PM
Listen to this beforehand (http://www.gotwavs.com/php/sounds/?id=gog&media=MP3S&type=Movies&movie=Old_School&quote=composure.txt&file=composure.mp3)

Flyboy
04-15-2007, 03:57 AM
I hope you're writing the essay.

pierce2walker
04-15-2007, 04:17 PM
I personally thought the ACT was easier then the SAT...most of the reading questions are pretty plot based and the math and science are pretty easy...the only real issue is time...make sure you keep your pace up...know how far you need to be at each time point...I just took the ACT for the heck of it...I signed up right before the test and didnt study at all and I got a 29...dont worry too much...like others said I think the most important thing would to get enough sleep and a healthy breakfast

Addict
04-15-2007, 04:23 PM
I'm gonna sound so stupid asking this...

what is the ACT test?

sweetness34
04-15-2007, 05:05 PM

That's not average. I think 18 or 19 is average, possibly 20. 16 is not very good my friend. Don't mean to make you feel bad but a monkey got like a 13 on it by randomly guessing.

Haha my friend got a 14 the first time he took it. Btw I got a 21 without a calculator and never retook it. I got a 25 when I took it in practice though, just forgot my calc the day of the test and it screwed me.

art vandelay
04-15-2007, 05:22 PM
I got a 29 on it. I had the essay too, which was pretty easy.

My advice: Don't worry about it...seriously. If you care about it you are likely to get really nervous during the test and lose focus. I went in with the attitude that I didn't really care and it worked out well for me. I know this sounds retarted but it worked for me.