PDA

View Full Version : Best RB in the NFC East

jsagan77
07-30-2006, 08:04 PM
Just wondering what people think? A buddy of mine keeps trying to say that JJ and Tiki are both better than Portis. Tiki is amazing, but I think that Portis will pass him this year.

P-L
07-30-2006, 08:05 PM
Portis. He hasn't even reached his prime yet and Tiki will begin his decline in a year or two. Westbrook and Jones aren't even close.

yourfavestoner
07-30-2006, 08:11 PM
Right now? Barber. For the future? Portis.

LTgiants
07-30-2006, 08:12 PM
tiki

The Fat Kid
07-30-2006, 08:14 PM
last year, tiki, this year clinton

cunningham06
07-30-2006, 08:15 PM
Right now it's Tiki because he is the better receiver out of the backfield. Straight up running between him and Portis is pretty even. So for now I say Tiki, but soon it will be Clinton Portis.

Smooth Criminal
07-30-2006, 08:28 PM
I'd rather have Tiki for this year. After this year even Tiki says his future is uncertain while Portis should continue to get better.

smittyjs
07-30-2006, 08:38 PM
Clinton Portis

ninerfan
07-30-2006, 08:39 PM
Clinton by as far as the eye can see

07-30-2006, 08:39 PM
this is so obvious. portis

raiderfan_89
07-30-2006, 08:45 PM
Clinton Portis is gonna be the all time leading rusher when everything is said and done so I have to pick him.

cunningham06
07-30-2006, 08:50 PM
Clinton Portis is gonna be the all time leading rusher when everything is said and done so I have to pick him.

Thank you for gracing us with your knowledge of the future. Clinton probably won't play long enough to touch Emitt Smith's record, few players today have the desire to play for as long as he did, especially at running back. I mean he already has 6,000 yards, he only needs about 10,000 yards more. Until he has over 10,000 yards please take it easy with the all time leading rusher talk.

Staubach12
07-30-2006, 08:52 PM
Julius Jones! Duh! No, no, j/k.... uh..... I hate to say it but, Clinton Portis.

cunningham06
07-30-2006, 08:54 PM
Ha I voted for Westbrook even though I don't believe he is the best at all, maybe the best receiving RB, I just wanted to see him stand strong with his one vote. Now Tiki, Future Clinton Portis.

07-30-2006, 09:05 PM
Tiki Barber, i think Portis is a little overrated.

M.O.T.H.
07-30-2006, 09:07 PM
Right now, Portis.

M.O.T.H.
07-30-2006, 09:08 PM
I'm a huge Cowboys fan but, there is no way Julius deserves a vote here.

Go_Eli
07-30-2006, 09:16 PM
Clinton by as far as the eye can see

What exactly does Portis do better than Barber?

The results of this poll are laughable. Portis by that much? Barber CONTINUES to be underrated.

Moses
07-30-2006, 09:21 PM
Barber had a great season last year but I still think Portis is the best.

Go_Eli
07-30-2006, 09:22 PM

Barber has outperformed Portis the past 2 seasons. And not by a little.

P-L
07-30-2006, 09:30 PM

Tiki is also 31 years old and Portis now has Al Saunders as his OC. Btw, Portis had more TD last year...

danman253
07-30-2006, 09:42 PM
Portis will be after this season

Go_Eli
07-30-2006, 09:44 PM

Tiki is also 31 years old and Portis now has Al Saunders as his OC. Btw, Portis had more TD last year...

Stephen Davis also had more TDs than Portis and Barber last year. What's your point?

Right now...1 season...who do you take? I take Barber...he does EVERYTHING Portis does just as well, if not better, and has a fabulous track record the past 2 years.

Jughead10
07-30-2006, 09:46 PM
Portis has had his two worst years these last two years, while Tiki has had his two best. If I'm picking one in an expansion draft, I'll take Portis just because of age, but if I want to win this year, I'll definately take Tiki. He had the second most combined yards in NFL history last year. Basically one of the greatest seasons by a RB ever.

Twiddler
07-30-2006, 09:54 PM
I think right now it may be Tiki by a bit but I think that Portis will take him over by the end of this year due to Tiki's increasing age.

moc182
07-30-2006, 10:01 PM
Wow...

D-Unit
07-30-2006, 10:36 PM
Marion Barber.

yourfavestoner
07-30-2006, 10:44 PM
Wow...Clinton Portis is really overrated on these boards. Can somebody tell me what Portis does better than Barber besides being born later?

RCAChainGang
07-30-2006, 10:46 PM
Tiki has a bust out run just about every game...

Go_Eli
07-30-2006, 11:14 PM
Wow...Clinton Portis is really overrated on these boards. Can somebody tell me what Portis does better than Barber besides being born later?

THANK YOU!

And please, no one bring up blocking. Tiki does it as well as Portis, if not better. Blocking isn't a valid arguement, and I don't think vision is either.

RCAChainGang
07-30-2006, 11:16 PM

THANK YOU!

And please, no one bring up blocking. Tiki does it as well as Portis, if not better. Blocking isn't a valid arguement, and I don't think vision is either.

Ya that is true tiki had a phenominal season. I voted Tiki.

draftguru151
07-30-2006, 11:33 PM
Once again Giant fans show why they are the biggest homers on this board.

RCAChainGang
07-30-2006, 11:37 PM

Im not a giants fan :P

draftguru151
07-30-2006, 11:39 PM

Im not a giants fan :P

You just said Tiki had a great year, which is true, you weren't insulted by the fact that someone could possibly think a Giant player isn't the best.

cunningham06
07-30-2006, 11:46 PM
To be fair Tiki is a much better receiving back than Portis is. For that reason Tiki is the better RB then Clinton at the moment.

Go_Eli
07-30-2006, 11:52 PM

So defeat my homerish ways and prove to me that Clinton Portis is a better back than Tiki Barber.

Exactly what does Portis do better than Barber?

draftguru151
07-31-2006, 12:05 AM

So defeat my homerish ways and prove to me that Clinton Portis is a better back than Tiki Barber.

Exactly what does Portis do better than Barber?

Do we really have to go through it again. The other 5 threads weren't enough?

07-31-2006, 12:17 AM
Carries per fumble

Tiki: 37

Portis: 79

TD per carry

Tiki: 38

Portis: 28

Carry per Carry 20+ yards

Tiki: 17

Portis: 15

YPC

Tiki: 4.6

Portis: 4.7

TD/Season

Tiki: 6

Portis: 11

Tiki

Portis

Yards per season

Portis: 1482

Tiki: 1495

draftguru151
07-31-2006, 12:24 AM
What is that over?

07-31-2006, 12:25 AM
What is that over?

huh?

cunningham06
07-31-2006, 12:27 AM
Carries per fumble

Tiki: 37

Portis: 79

TD per carry

Tiki: 38

Portis: 28

Carry per Carry 20+ yards

Tiki: 17

Portis: 15

YPC

Tiki: 4.6

Portis: 4.7

TD/Season

Tiki: 6

Portis: 11

Tiki

Portis

Yards per season

Portis: 1482

Tiki: 1495

If that is over career, keep in mind Tiki had fumble problems in the beginning, but is now much better at holding onto the ball.

draftguru151
07-31-2006, 12:28 AM
What is that over?

huh?

Is that career, last 4 years, what?

07-31-2006, 12:29 AM
What is that over?

huh?

career would be unfair to Tiki so it was last 4 years for the TDs and Yards per season.

cunningham06
07-31-2006, 12:35 AM
What is that over?

huh?

career would be unfair to Tiki so it was last 4 years for the TDs and Yards per season.

Well of course Clinton is ahead in categories such as YPC since he played in Denver. Tiki just reached his peak really in 2004. He had a 5.2 average last season which Portis has not had since he left Denver. Also last season Tiki only fumbled once while Portis fumbled 3 times.

07-31-2006, 12:40 AM
What is that over?

huh?

Well of course Clinton is ahead in categories such as YPC since he played in Denver. Tiki just reached his peak really in 2004. He had a 5.2 average last season which Portis has not had since he left Denver. Also last season Tiki only fumbled once while Portis fumbled 3 times.

So is 'peak' is 29 then this is unfair to Portis since he was only 23! Im not saying they are worlds apart but Id rather have Portis.

cunningham06
07-31-2006, 12:45 AM
What is that over?

huh?

So is 'peak' is 29 then this is unfair to Portis since he was only 23! Im not saying they are worlds apart but Id rather have Portis.

Tiki Barber just peaked later than Portis did. He really found his style in 04 and had the best seasons of his life. Overall I would rather have Portis because he is younger, but as of right now I'd say Tiki is better.

yourfavestoner
07-31-2006, 02:06 AM
What is that over?

huh?

Well, let's do it over the past two seasons, as they are the most relevant and accurate seeing as how Portis isn't in that godly Denver running system anymore.

Carries per fumble:

Portis: 86

Barber: 113

TD per Carry:

Portis: 43

Barber: 30

Carry per Carry 20+ yards:

Ports: 63

YPC:

Portis: 4.05

Barber: 4.95

TD/Season:

Portis: 8

Barber: 11

Portis

Barber

Yards per Season:

Portis: 1415

Barber: 1689

As you can see, over the past two years, it hasn't even been close. This isn't even counting receiving stats, where Barber has practically doubled Portis' numbers.

Like I said, Portis gets the edge in age, and that's about it.

cunningham06
07-31-2006, 02:14 AM
What is that over?

huh?

Well, let's do it over the past two seasons, as they are the most recent and are the years Portis was out of that godly Denver running game.

Carries per fumble:

TD per Carry:

YPC:

TD/Season:

Portis

Barber

Yards per Season:

As you can see, over the past two years, it hasn't even been close. This isn't even counting receiving stats, where Barber has practically doubled Portis' numbers.

Good post. Tiki has been better than Portis the last couple of seasons when their lines have been similar as opposed to how much better Denvers run offense was than the Giants. Portis is the better long term back because he has more years left in him.

President
07-31-2006, 06:49 AM
Right now? Barber. For the future? Portis.
Right.

Jughead10
07-31-2006, 07:15 AM
Nice to see an Eagles fan sticking up for Tiki. Is this because of all the love I gave the Eagles saying if they could improve their pass rush they would be the best team in the East?

07-31-2006, 07:30 AM
What is that over?

huh?

Well, let's do it over the past two seasons, as they are the most recent and are the years Portis was out of that godly Denver running game.

Carries per fumble:

TD per Carry:

YPC:

TD/Season:

Portis

Barber

Yards per Season:

Good post. Tiki has been better than Portis the last couple of seasons when their lines have been similar as opposed to how much better Denvers run offense was than the Giants. Portis is the better long term back because he has more years left in him.

People just throw the fact that Portis was in a power running system out the window dont they......

Jughead10
07-31-2006, 07:32 AM
What is that over?

huh?

Carries per fumble:

TD per Carry:

YPC:

TD/Season:

Portis

Barber

Yards per Season:

People just throw the fact that Portis was in a power running system out the window dont they......

I don't get that argument. Can't you say that Larry Johnson was in a power running system.

art vandelay
07-31-2006, 07:37 AM
It's Portis by far for me.

07-31-2006, 07:51 AM
What is that over?

huh?

Carries per fumble:

TD per Carry:

YPC:

TD/Season:

Portis

Barber

Yards per Season:

I don't get that argument. Can't you say that Larry Johnson was in a power running system.

The argument is that portis is not built for a power running game, its the complete opposite of his ablities yet he still did a good job.

yourfavestoner
07-31-2006, 01:27 PM
What is that over?

huh?

Carries per fumble:

TD per Carry:

YPC:

TD/Season:

Portis

Barber

Yards per Season:

The argument is that portis is not built for a power running game, its the complete opposite of his ablities yet he still did a good job.

That just proves my point even further. Barber is even smaller than Portis and has done better in a power running scheme. Now just imagine what Barber would do in two years in Denver.

07-31-2006, 01:34 PM
What is that over?

huh?

Carries per fumble:

TD per Carry:

YPC:

TD/Season:

Portis

Barber

Yards per Season:

That just proves my point even further. Barber is even smaller than Portis and has done better in a power running scheme. Now just imagine what Barber would do in two years in Denver.

Um, barber plays in a cutback running scheme what are you talking about?

yourfavestoner
07-31-2006, 01:40 PM
The majority of the Giants running plays are powers, traps, and counters. That's what I'm talking about.

Jughead10
07-31-2006, 01:42 PM
There is a difference between playing in a cutback running scheme, and a running back making cuts to avoid defenders. Tiki just has a knack for never taking a hard hit.

yourfavestoner
07-31-2006, 01:45 PM
There is a difference between playing in a cutback running scheme, and a running back making cuts to avoid defenders. Tiki just has a knack for never taking a hard hit.

Exactly. The only scheme that can actually be designated as a "cutback" scheme is one with an emphasis in zone blocking.

Geo
07-31-2006, 02:27 PM
CP gets my vote.