PDA

View Full Version : Telephone Interview tips?

UKfan
04-14-2007, 01:52 PM
Since everyone else is hopping on the advice train I thought I might as well, I have a phone interview for a graduate job on Monday and I haven't done one before. I've researched the company, prepared answers to the standard questions such as why do you want to work for us etc. I know to make sure I go somewhere quiet and make sure I have a drink with me. Just wondered how people have faired with them if they have had them.

ny10804
04-14-2007, 02:14 PM
For God's sake, whatever you do, do NOT, under any circumstances...

GB12
04-14-2007, 02:16 PM
Make sure to use your sexy voice.

Three Step Drop
04-14-2007, 02:37 PM
Telephone interviews IMO are a lot more difficult than face to face ones (sorry for the positive start).

However, best advice is to be very well prepared,get a cheat sheet if it helps (they cant see it), and really listen when the interviewer talks. Its very easy to misunderstand or mishear a question.

Hope it goes ok

YAYareaRB
04-14-2007, 03:02 PM
Keep away from saying "Ummmm".

rchrd
04-14-2007, 03:30 PM
I've only had a couple of informal telephone interviews, the last of which came around 7am and I had been asleep for about an hour and a half. I could barely remember my name let alone answer any question the guy had. I didnt get the job surprisingly...avoid that and no doubt you'll be fine.

UKfan
04-14-2007, 03:34 PM
Cheers everyone

Make sure to use your sexy voice.

Best advice I have had yet, easily

Oh and rchrd, I arranged my interview for 10am, so it's all good there :)

Ravens1991
04-14-2007, 03:37 PM
speak with confidence. Sound like you know what you are talking about.

Jay
04-14-2007, 03:57 PM
Lie out your ass.

Shane P. Hallam
04-14-2007, 04:08 PM
Have a sheet in front of you outlining some good points you want to bring up. And depending on the job, have examples of you displaying good leadership skills, as well as examples of when you have displayed that you can do the job tasks successfully.

Don't be afraid to take 30 seconds and think about your answer. After the question is asked, say that are you going to think about it for a bit, take your time, so you can answer without spaces and umms and likes or what not.

Speak slowly, not like you are mentally handicapped, but if you are a fast talked, make sure you slow down. It's harder to understand people over the phone (because you can't see their mouth,) so if they can't understand you, you are screwed.

WMD
04-14-2007, 04:38 PM
Don't hang up on them.