PDA

View Full Version : BBD's 10 NFL Truths (long write up)

bigbluedefense
08-01-2006, 02:27 PM
Hey, if a moron like Whitlock can do it, why can't I? Im gonna make some predictions of stuff we'll see during the season, I'm just curious to see if 4 months from now if I was right. So...here we go

10. The Redskins will be at the bottom of the NFC East. That doesn't mean theyre a bad team, that just means that they won't be the better than the other 3. They have a great team on paper, but I just don't see Brunell holding up throughout the season and when they have to put Campbell in at Qb, kiss the playoffs good bye. You will not make the playoffs in this division with essentially a rookie qb. No way. I see an 8-8/7-9 season for them, which in this division, is enough to be the bottom.

9. Vernon Davis will have a disappointing year. I don't believe in Vernon Davis. He ran fast...whoopidy do. He's short, and has short arms. For all his strength, he doesn't block well, nor will he ever block well because of his short arms. A TE doesn't have to be fast, he has to be long. Look at Gates, theres at least 5 TEs in the league faster, yet he is the best. Why? Because his arms go down to his shoe laces, thats why.

8. Brian Dawkins will continue to be the Zach Thomas of safeties, all walk yet will not be considered the best FS in the game. Brian Dawkins has been the best FS in the game for the past 6 years or so. But he's always put behind someone else. He's durable, incredible at coverage, sure tackler, great blitzer, a team leader, intelligent, what more does he have to do? He is the best FS in the game, arguably the best S in the game right here right now, but he doesn't get that kind of love. And this year will be no different.

7. The NO Saints are gonna surprise alot of people this year. This is my darkhouse playoff contender. They have a great offense. Brees, Stallworth, Horn, Deuce and Reggie...thats insane. They can throw split back looks at you all day and you couldn't stop it. Motion Reggie to the slot...peace out LB. This offense could be explosive. And they have a decent pass rush on defense. That masks alot of other glaring weaknesses. If they can catch a hot streak....this team could snag a wild card spot.

6. Ben Roethlisberger will blame poor performance on more spoof injuries. Pay attention to this. He has a history of it. Its been overlooked because he's winning and winning solves everything. But pay attention to what he's said and done the past 2 years. His rookie year he blames his loss in the playoffs to a fake toe/foot injury, then he blames it on throwing too much (15-20 times a game is too much?). Then last year, he has a "thumb" injury that needed "surgery", but it turns out his thumb was perfectly fine. He blamed his loss to the Bengals in the regular season on his health, and in the SB he looked and felt fine....until he threw a pick for a TD (or almost a TD, i forgot). Then all of a sudden, he's holding his thumb in pain. This is a recurring theme, and if you pay close attention, if he starts losing this year, he will make more excuses...just watch out for it is all I'm saying.

5. The Ravens will make the playoffs, and the Bengals won't. I excpect the Ravens to have a balanced offense this year. Jamal Lewis should be back, and even if Boller has to start, I don't see him doing that bad. He actually finished the year real strong. They have an all world defense as well that will keep them in games. The bengals on the other hand, don't have an impressive defense, and Palmer should miss some time. That will prevent them from getting back in the playoffs.

4. The Giants first half schedule will either make them or break them.
The Giants fate is simple. Its all gonna come down to the first half of the season. Their schedule is brutal. If they falter, the season is over. If they succeed, they can very well win the division. Eli Manning will have a break out year, but will it be enough to win the first half? The schedule is brutal, and one injury during those games (esp to Barber) could end the Giants season. And if the secondary plays the way it did last year...well, its not gonna be pretty.

3. The AFC West will be an open race. This division is up for grabs. All the teams can win it...even the Raiders. The Chiefs have issues on defense and lost Roaf, the Broncos will still have issues at qb, the Raiders have a young but developing defense and Aaron Brooks, and the Chargers have Rivers running the show for the first time. All have major question marks that will be answered during the season. I wouldn't be surprised if this division mirrors the NFC East.

2. People will realize that they are waay overrating Al Saunders. All you hear is Al Saunders this, Al Saunders that. "The redskins offense will be great because of Al Saunders.." Give me a break. Do you think that KC oline had anything to do with his success in KC? That oline made the world go round. Not Al Saunders. He didn't look like a genius when Roaf was injured last year. Al Saunders will not revitalize the skins offense. It will be good, but no one should expect KC like results. Thats just foolish.

1. Larry Johnson will not have the rushing title next year. Larry Johnson will not have the rushing title next year despite of what everyone says. He's the easy paper choice, but he lost Roaf and teams will be gunning for him. I think he's getting too much hype and its gotten to his head. He will have a great year, but he won't be the best in the NFL, that will go to Ladanian this year.

08-01-2006, 02:32 PM
great writeup, i pretty much agree with all of it except the part about the Redskins. I think theyre the BEST team in the NFC East and the 2nd best team in the NFC.

moc182
08-01-2006, 02:32 PM
Nice job, I'm very much in agreement with 10 and 8, and the second half of 5.

bsaza2358
08-01-2006, 02:38 PM
Very intriguing predictions. Be sure to save them, so we can re-evaluate at mid-season.

bigbluedefense
08-01-2006, 02:39 PM
Very intriguing predictions. Be sure to save them, so we can re-evaluate at mid-season.

How do I do that? Thats the reason why I made the write up, so I can look back and see how right/wrong I was.

LookItsAlDavis
08-01-2006, 02:40 PM
Nice write. It felt like I was reading something off of sportsline. I agree with most except for number one.

cunningham06
08-01-2006, 02:41 PM
Good ballsy predictions. I like the one about Brian Dawkins he doesn't get enough respect. The last one about LJ is kind of confusing because you say that he won't get the title, then say he will in the line after it. The Eagles are in the same boat as #4 about the Giants. Our first 6 games are all games they should win, and we will see how they do, if they beat most of them they may make the playoffs.

Jughead10
08-01-2006, 02:59 PM
Especially agree with #9, #8, and #6.

Canadian_kid16
08-01-2006, 03:01 PM

How do I do that? Thats the reason why I made the write up, so I can look back and see how right/wrong I was.

copy and past to MSword...or if u can...add a poll

bigbluedefense
08-01-2006, 03:01 PM
Good ballsy predictions. I like the one about Brian Dawkins he doesn't get enough respect. The last one about LJ is kind of confusing because you say that he won't get the title, then say he will in the line after it. The Eagles are in the same boat as #4 about the Giants. Our first 6 games are all games they should win, and we will see how they do, if they beat most of them they may make the playoffs.

Yeah, that was a typo, I edited that. It'll be interesting to see how right/wrong I was. We can look back at my predictions throughout the year and see if I can call em with the best of em, or if I'm no different from Whitlock. :)

Flyboy
08-01-2006, 03:02 PM
7. The NO Saints are gonna surprise alot of people this year. This is my darkhouse playoff contender. They have a great offense. Brees, Stallworth, Horn, Deuce and Reggie...thats insane. They can throw split back looks at you all day and you couldn't stop it. Motion Reggie to the slot...peace out LB. This offense could be explosive. And they have a decent pass rush on defense. That masks alot of other glaring weaknesses. If they can catch a hot streak....this team could snag a wild card spot.

Nice prediction.. although, with our make-shift offensive line and our defense not including our defensive line.. I don't see playoffs for us this season. Next season? Yeah, I could definitely buy into that one.

bigbluedefense
08-01-2006, 03:05 PM

If you don't mind me asking, How do you add a poll? Ive always wanted to make Poll threads but I don't know how to do it. Im not that computer literate. :)

Canadian_kid16
08-01-2006, 03:06 PM

If you don't mind me asking, How do you add a poll? Ive always wanted to make Poll threads but I don't know how to do it. Im not that computer literate. :)

Well...when u make a topic...at the bottom....there should be poll options

08-01-2006, 03:08 PM
you can add a poll by clicking edit on the first post and scrolling down to the bottom theres the poll stuff

bigbluedefense
08-01-2006, 03:09 PM
wow, that was easy. :)

08-01-2006, 03:13 PM
Trust me if the redskins have a shot at the playoffs, you wont see jason campbell come in.

President
08-01-2006, 03:35 PM
Hey, if a moron like Whitlock can do it, why can't I? Im gonna make some predictions of stuff we'll see during the season, I'm just curious to see if 4 months from now if I was right. So...here we go

10. The Redskins will be at the bottom of the NFC East. That doesn't mean theyre a bad team, that just means that they won't be the better than the other 3. They have a great team on paper, but I just don't see Brunell holding up throughout the season and when they have to put Campbell in at Qb, kiss the playoffs good bye. You will not make the playoffs in this division with essentially a rookie qb. No way. I see an 8-8/7-9 season for them, which in this division, is enough to be the bottom.

9. Vernon Davis will have a disappointing year. I don't believe in Vernon Davis. He ran fast...whoopidy do. He's short, and has short arms. For all his strength, he doesn't block well, nor will he ever block well because of his short arms. A TE doesn't have to be fast, he has to be long. Look at Gates, theres at least 5 TEs in the league faster, yet he is the best. Why? Because his arms go down to his shoe laces, thats why.

8. Brian Dawkins will continue to be the Zach Thomas of safeties, all walk yet will not be considered the best FS in the game. Brian Dawkins has been the best FS in the game for the past 6 years or so. But he's always put behind someone else. He's durable, incredible at coverage, sure tackler, great blitzer, a team leader, intelligent, what more does he have to do? He is the best FS in the game, arguably the best S in the game right here right now, but he doesn't get that kind of love. And this year will be no different.

6. Ben Roethlisberger will blame poor performance on more spoof injuries. Pay attention to this. He has a history of it. Its been overlooked because he's winning and winning solves everything. But pay attention to what he's said and done the past 2 years. His rookie year he blames his loss in the playoffs to a fake toe/foot injury, then he blames it on throwing too much (15-20 times a game is too much?). Then last year, he has a "thumb" injury that needed "surgery", but it turns out his thumb was perfectly fine. He blamed his loss to the Bengals in the regular season on his health, and in the SB he looked and felt fine....until he threw a pick for a TD (or almost a TD, i forgot). Then all of a sudden, he's holding his thumb in pain. This is a recurring theme, and if you pay close attention, if he starts losing this year, he will make more excuses...just watch out for it is all I'm saying.

5. The Ravens will make the playoffs, and the Bengals won't. I excpect the Ravens to have a balanced offense this year. Jamal Lewis should be back, and even if Boller has to start, I don't see him doing that bad. He actually finished the year real strong. They have an all world defense as well that will keep them in games. The bengals on the other hand, don't have an impressive defense, and Palmer should miss some time. That will prevent them from getting back in the playoffs.

The Giants fate is simple. Its all gonna come down to the first half of the season. Their schedule is brutal. If they falter, the season is over. If they succeed, they can very well win the division. Eli Manning will have a break out year, but will it be enough to win the first half? The schedule is brutal, and one injury during those games (esp to Barber) could end the Giants season. And if the secondary plays the way it did last year...well, its not gonna be pretty.

3. The AFC West will be an open race. This division is up for grabs. All the teams can win it...even the Raiders. The Chiefs have issues on defense and lost Roaf, the Broncos will still have issues at qb, the Raiders have a young but developing defense and Aaron Brooks, and the Chargers have Rivers running the show for the first time. All have major question marks that will be answered during the season. I wouldn't be surprised if this division mirrors the NFC East.

2. People will realize that they are waay overrating Al Saunders. All you hear is Al Saunders this, Al Saunders that. "The redskins offense will be great because of Al Saunders.." Give me a break. Do you think that KC oline had anything to do with his success in KC? That oline made the world go round. Not Al Saunders. He didn't look like a genius when Roaf was injured last year. Al Saunders will not revitalize the skins offense. It will be good, but no one should expect KC like results. Thats just foolish.

1. Larry Johnson will not have the rushing title next year. Larry Johnson will not have the rushing title next year despite of what everyone says. He's the easy paper choice, but he lost Roaf and teams will be gunning for him. I think he's getting too much hype and its gotten to his head. He will have a great year, but he won't be the best in the NFL, that will go to Ladanian this year.
I agree with numbers 8,7,6,4,3,2,and 1. I really do think the AFC West will be a great compition for all. I think the Saints have a good offense, but you have to wonder about their defense. Good post.

diabsoule
08-01-2006, 03:36 PM
I'm glad you're optmisitic about the Saints. I think you're the only one. I see us improving this year, going anywhere between 5-11 to 7-9 but I don't see the team making the playoffs. Other than Jammal Brown and Jeff Faine we don't have anyone on the offensive line and our defensive isn't that impressive, especially since it looks like we're going to essentially be starting to rookie's at Safety.

Next year isn't out the question, especially if we're in a position to draft an outstanding linebacker and improve the offensive line.

P-L
08-01-2006, 03:47 PM

:idea:
THIS JUST IN, IT'S BREAKING NEWS:

The Redskins have a good OL.

bigbluedefense
08-01-2006, 03:54 PM

Yes they do, but I wouldn't rate it on the same level as KC's last year. KC's line was ridiculous. Like I said, theyll have a good offense, but don't think that Al Saunder's genius brain will make them like the best in the league...I think his playcalling is a little overrated. Calling an off-tackle run to the left will make anyone look like a genius when you have Roaf showing the way to Larry Johnson.

08-01-2006, 04:02 PM

Yes they do, but I wouldn't rate it on the same level as KC's last year. KC's line was ridiculous. Like I said, theyll have a good offense, but don't think that Al Saunder's genius brain will make them like the best in the league...I think his playcalling is a little overrated. Calling an off-tackle run to the left will make anyone look like a genius when you have Roaf showing the way to Larry Johnson.

Is our line atleast good enough as the old rams?

steel man
08-01-2006, 04:06 PM
No. 6 is B@#$S@#$ you dont have to like him but he goes and plays hurt and came back from knee surgury last year and you are going to say that. plus what he ment about throwing to much was that he didnt throw that much in college and no other rookie QB has ever made it that far. give credit where credit is do. all he does is WIN

bigbluedefense
08-01-2006, 04:13 PM

Its a top 5 line imo. I personally favor the big strong olines like KC, I personally think the best oline ever was the Hogs, not the Dallas oline of the 90s (although its very close). I have Seattle, KC, Pittsburgh and Indy as better units off the top of my head. I guess Washington is 5 on the list.

I just think that the Skins would be better off running the ball more. This spread offense looks like it plans on setting up the run with the pass. I don't believe in those types of offenses. Its still a runner's league, and with the line you guys got, it would be better to pack it up and run. And then force 8 man fronts on you, and unleash Moss with the PA. Cooley and Lloyd for mids...I personally would start Randle El over Lloyd.

08-01-2006, 04:14 PM

Its a top 5 line imo. I personally favor the big strong olines like KC, I personally think the best oline ever was the Hogs, not the Dallas oline of the 90s (although its very close). I have Seattle, KC, Pittsburgh and Indy as better units off the top of my head. I guess Washington is 5 on the list.

I just think that the Skins would be better off running the ball more. This spread offense looks like it plans on setting up the run with the pass. I don't believe in those types of offenses. Its still a runner's league, and with the line you guys got, it would be better to pack it up and run. And then force 8 man fronts on you, and unleash Moss with the PA. Cooley and Lloyd for mids...I personally would start Randle El over Lloyd.

We arent going to run the ball any less than we have the past couple of years

yourfavestoner
08-01-2006, 04:19 PM
No. 6 is B@#$S@#$ you dont have to like him but he goes and plays hurt and came back from knee surgury last year and you are going to say that. plus what he ment about throwing to much was that he didnt throw that much in college and no other rookie QB has ever made it that far. give credit where credit is do. all he does is WIN

What the hell is this gibberish supposed to mean?

If you're trying to say he didn't throw it htat much in college [that's the only part that was semi-coherent], you couldn't be more wrong.

But I don't know what you're trying to say, because your post looks like you bashed your head into the keyboard a few times and called it well enough.

bigbluedefense
08-01-2006, 04:19 PM

I never said he didn't win. But you can't ignore the fact that he exaggerates injuries. Like I said, its overlooked now because he's winning and winning cures everything, but you can't win forever. And if he continues to do that, he can potentially lose favor with his teammates. What about how he said he hurt his toe and Cowher got angry and said that was not the case? Explain that one. Or how he needed surgery on his thumb, turns out he barely injured it?

And in terms of he didn't throw that much in college, no rookie went that far etc...Its not like he threw that much during his games his rookie year. His games, including playoffs, he probably threw for less total throws than most rookie qbs who started 16 games. He increased his workload last year, but his rookie year he was avg like 15 throws a game. How on earth is that wearing yourself out? Other rookie qbs would throw for 25 a game. Even if they didn't play 2 extra playoff games, that still adds up for more throws.

bigbluedefense
08-01-2006, 04:23 PM

Yes, but I think the major difference is under Gibbs, you set up the pass with the run, under Saunders I think it will be the opposite. I personally don't believe in that type of system. I base my prediction mostly on the health of your qb. I don't know if he can hold up for the whole year. If he can...I'll be wrong. I made ballsy predictions and this is one of them. But I'm guessing he won't, which is why I made the prediction I made. I didn't want to make obvious predictions, I wanted to go out on a limb and make some bold ones.

08-01-2006, 04:28 PM

Yes, but I think the major difference is under Gibbs, you set up the pass with the run, under Saunders I think it will be the opposite. I personally don't believe in that type of system. I base my prediction mostly on the health of your qb. I don't know if he can hold up for the whole year. If he can...I'll be wrong. I made ballsy predictions and this is one of them. But I'm guessing he won't, which is why I made the prediction I made. I didn't want to make obvious predictions, I wanted to go out on a limb and make some bold ones.

I think the main thing you are forgeting is that this is still joe gibbs offense. It just has some minor tweaks, but i understand what you are saying. And Brunell will be fine as long as osi doesnt throw his head into brunell's knee again

bigbluedefense
08-01-2006, 09:02 PM
Another quick point I want to make with my list. To clarify more on the "bengals won't make the playoffs" thing, I think because of they have a plethora of low character guys, when their backs are against the wall they will fold.

Chances are Palmer will miss a couple of games. Forget the reports, he's in TC with damn near a cast on. He won't be ready. That means, they will lose a couple of games early in the season. Now a high character squad would handle the adversity well and be men about it, and fight through it. But when you have a lockeroom full of low character thugs, they will fold up and whnle and throw in the towel. And potential chaos can insue. I just don't see them having enough to win this division. Especially with their MIKE suspended for 4 games too. Delta Oneal will not produce like he did last year. This team will be one of those teams that everyone projects to do well but for various reasons falters.

bigbluedefense
10-06-2006, 02:41 PM
So far alot of these predictions are holding water. Kinda crazy, I made these predictions at the start of TC. We'll see how many wind up becoming true at the season's end. So far Id say at least 50% of them are looking good.

Basileus777
10-06-2006, 02:45 PM
So far alot of these predictions are holding water. Kinda crazy, I made these predictions at the start of TC. We'll see how many wind up becoming true at the season's end. So far Id say at least 50% of them are looking good.

More than that. Things are right on track for everyone of those predictions to come true.

P-L
10-06-2006, 02:58 PM
I have the utmost respect for Dawkins, but you think that people that rate Ed Reed higher shouldn't?

bigbluedefense
10-06-2006, 03:00 PM
I have the utmost respect for Dawkins, but you think that people that rate Ed Reed higher shouldn't?

Of course Ed Reed is better, but technically, he's a SS. In terms of FS, the only popular name that people claim is better is Sean Taylor, and Dawkins is easily outplaying him. Yet he still doesn't get the love. Dawkins is the best FS in the game right now. Forget the measureables, look at the body of work. No one measures up to him.

Number 10
10-06-2006, 03:03 PM
How come ST21 is back?

Jughead10
10-06-2006, 03:05 PM
How come ST21 is back?

Thats from a long time ago.

How come ST21 is back?

He's not. these were bumped from before TC

Splat

Ya being ranked top 5 is such an issue I know they won't stay top 5 but come on they are playing some very good D. :roll:

P-L

Of course Ed Reed is better, but technically, he's a SS. In terms of FS, the only popular name that people claim is better is Sean Taylor, and Dawkins is easily outplaying him. Yet he still doesn't get the love. Dawkins is the best FS in the game right now. Forget the measureables, look at the body of work. No one measures up to him.

Well he plays more like a SS, but Reed has started at FS for the last few years.

How come ST21 is back?He posted that August 1st

Number 10
10-06-2006, 03:06 PM
I am really observant. :roll:

bigbluedefense
10-06-2006, 03:08 PM

Ya being ranked top 5 is such an issue I know they won't stay top 5 but come on they are playing some very good D. :roll:

Dude, I posted this in August, cut me some slack. They are playing better than I expected however. That is probably the one truth that I was flat out wrong with. The rest are holding up pretty well though.

Staubach12
10-06-2006, 03:11 PM
Wow BBD, you were dead on. You're my hero.

Splat
10-06-2006, 03:28 PM

Dude, I posted this in August, cut me some slack. They are playing better than I expected however. That is probably the one truth that I was flat out wrong with. The rest are holding up pretty well though.

My bad didn't look at the date who went and bumped this?

bigbluedefense
10-06-2006, 03:31 PM

My bad didn't look at the date who went and bumped this?

I did :D

Scotty D
10-06-2006, 03:37 PM
I agree with #9.

VernonLawson89
10-06-2006, 03:59 PM
#9 is BS. He might have a dissapointing year. But the rest is Bull.

10-06-2006, 04:06 PM

Great point.

Shiver
10-06-2006, 04:27 PM

Bravo *golf claps*

yourfavestoner
10-06-2006, 05:13 PM

What a compelling argument. You've got me convinced.

SuperMcGee
10-06-2006, 06:25 PM
very nice, most of it is holding up very well, except for one minor point...

This division is up for grabs. All the teams can win it...even the Raiders

bernbabybern820
10-06-2006, 10:08 PM
haha when i first read this i didnt realize the date.

i said to myself:

WOW! someone thinks the raiders have a chance to win the division!?! :lol:

The Legend
10-07-2006, 12:13 AM
[quote="bigbluedefense"]Hey, if a moron like Whitlock can do it, why can't I? Im gonna make some predictions of stuff we'll see during the season, I'm just curious to see if 4 months from now if I was right. So...here we go

its sad to see Dawkins not get his due he already has 3 ff this year, great thread BBD

Flyboy
12-25-2006, 02:51 PM
Just wanted to bump this. Very impressive indeed.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
12-25-2006, 03:35 PM
WOW

danman253
12-25-2006, 03:42 PM
Wowza

Kurve
12-25-2006, 03:46 PM
Good job!

The Unseen
12-25-2006, 03:46 PM
Maddest of props

12-25-2006, 03:48 PM
BBD>Nostradamus

jackalope
12-25-2006, 03:53 PM
:shock: impressive. only 3 is off.

12-25-2006, 03:53 PM
:shock: impressive. only 3 is off.

No it's not. The Broncos had it locked down at first and then the Chiefs and Chargers rose to the top. It was an open race for the majority of the season.

12-25-2006, 03:55 PM
I'm just gonna go through all these, and check them 1 by 1.

Dead on. Except for the record.

Dead on.

Probably right, although I can't be certain.

Dead Wrong. We all predicted this :lol: :lol: Although, you were wrong saying they "could snag a wildcard spot" but still, just wow.

He musta gotten alot of sore thumbs this year. Dead on again.

First part right, second part most likely right.

Wrong on this one.

Not quite, but the Chiefs, Broncos and Chargers were pretty neck and neck early.

Dead on.

Remains to be seen if he wins the title, but good call on Ladainian.

The Unseen
12-25-2006, 04:04 PM
Vernon Davis was injured, so he can't really get any credit on that one. The Giants one is probably off, and except for the specifics for the others, it's all on.

12-25-2006, 04:19 PM
Vernon Davis was injured, so he can't really get any credit on that one. The Giants one is probably off, and except for the specifics for the others, it's all on.

Yeah he was injured, but that's part of what makes it disappointing. He also wasn't dominating while he was healthy, either.

49ersfan_87
12-25-2006, 04:35 PM

Yeah he was injured, but that's part of what makes it disappointing. He also wasn't dominating while he was healthy, either.

All season, he has had 3 TD's, in 9 games. Tony Gonzales, who many claim to be the best TE, had 5. He is already ahead of antonio gates rookie season, in terms of TD catches. However, while he has shown an ability to get yards after catch, and he has been an exceptional blocker, his hands have been killer. He has to work on his hands.

Shiver
12-25-2006, 04:46 PM
Vernon Davis has been great since his injury, he just started off poorly. Since returning, he has two hundred yards and two touchdowns this month, which is excellent.

Flyboy
12-25-2006, 05:01 PM

All season, he has had 3 TD's, in 9 games. Tony Gonzales, who many claim to be the best TE, had 5. He is already ahead of antonio gates rookie season, in terms of TD catches. However, while he has shown an ability to get yards after catch, and he has been an exceptional blocker, his hands have been killer. He has to work on his hands.

And, his blocking was probably one of the biggest knocks on him coming into the league.

jkpigskin
12-25-2006, 05:28 PM
great writeup and predictions!

TIP
12-25-2006, 06:25 PM
Holy Crap...you were nearly were dead on all of them.

GB12
12-25-2006, 06:28 PM
:shock: nice.

yourfavestoner
12-25-2006, 06:59 PM
It's BBD. What did you guys expect? For him to be wrong? :wink:

Ravens1991
12-25-2006, 07:19 PM
It's BBD. What did you guys expect? For him to be wrong? :wink:

BBD is a beast.

12-25-2006, 08:09 PM
yo this bes mad predic skittlez

Smooth Criminal
12-25-2006, 08:53 PM
Most of them are dead on and I am really impressed.

Only thing I disagree with is the Ben comment. He seems to be the only person in Pittsburgh that hasn't blamed his injury. He always just says hes playing badly. Only the fans have used his eventful off season as an excuse.

BigDawg819
12-26-2006, 02:30 AM
Most of them are dead on and I am really impressed.

Only thing I disagree with is the Ben comment. He seems to be the only person in Pittsburgh that hasn't blamed his injury. He always just says hes playing badly. Only the fans have used his eventful off season as an excuse.

Yes but now he fears the Ravens defense! :twisted: :twisted:

bigbluedefense
12-26-2006, 08:11 PM
I see someone bumped this thread? Yeah, so far Id say Im wrong on about 2 of the predictions.

I think the Giants prediction was wrong, and I think the AFC West prediction was wrong because I included the Raiders in the discussion.

Some things I would like to comment on.

Ben Roethlisberger - while he started the season blaming injuries on his thumb etc, he's done an admirable job later on taking blame for his poor performances. So while he did do what I predicted, he definately redeemed himself to me by taking responsibility later on and being a leader. I have no more quarrels with him.

Vernon Davis - he has caught on the past 2 games, but he's played in 9 and had been average at best in the other 7. Now remember, I never said he'd stink. I said he'd have a disappointing year. Remember, people were listing him as a top 3 TE in the league before he even played a snap! I thought those declarations were way off base and that he realistically wouldn't live up to the expectations put on him. He was a OROY candidate and was supposed to be a top TE in the league right away. That didn't happen. So yes, he did have a disappointing year even when you only look at the games he's played. 2 good games doesn't warrant him as living up to expectations his rookie year.

When the season is officially over I'll break down each of my predictions and see where I was wrong and what not. Im looking forward to making another one of these next TC and see if we can go 10 for 10 next time. :D

Draft King
12-26-2006, 08:12 PM
Looking back, amazing job by BBD, great predictions.

12-26-2006, 08:20 PM
There is really only one explanation: BBD used the magic of the Devil and built a time machine to go forward to next week and make 10 observations about the NFL. Then he went back to the present(when he posted this) and falsely called them predictions.

The jig is up.

bigbluedefense
12-26-2006, 08:40 PM
There is really only one explanation: BBD used the magic of the Devil and built a time machine to go forward to next week and make 10 observations about the NFL. Then he went back to the present(when he posted this) and falsely called them predictions.

The jig is up.

Guilty as charged :oops:

rainbeaukid2
12-26-2006, 09:04 PM
vernon davis would have proved you wrong if he was healthy the whole time

njx9
12-26-2006, 09:07 PM
since this one's bumped... i'd like to advocate a joint thread between a few of you guys.

you, shiver, DMW (assuming they don't all turn into NFC east topics) and maybe a few other guys. you all tend to give the best write ups and seem to be right a fair amount of the time. you should consider getting together and putting together something before the playoffs start.

Ravens1991
12-26-2006, 09:10 PM
I was about to suggest it would be neat if a bunch of people had a write up contest and predicitons like this for the playoffs.

njx9
12-26-2006, 09:16 PM
i don't even know if a contest would be good, as much as a point/counter-point write up from a few different people. like the chats ESPN occasionally does, except with people who don't simply spew talking points.

Ravens1991
12-26-2006, 09:23 PM
yea that would be a better idea.

12-26-2006, 09:26 PM
This is TOO truthful.

Paul
12-26-2006, 09:37 PM
:shock: :shock: This is why you are BigBlueDefense. And why everyone else pays homage.

bigbluedefense
12-26-2006, 09:40 PM
since this one's bumped... i'd like to advocate a joint thread between a few of you guys.

you, shiver, DMW (assuming they don't all turn into NFC east topics) and maybe a few other guys. you all tend to give the best write ups and seem to be right a fair amount of the time. you should consider getting together and putting together something before the playoffs start.

What would you propose? An issue that may occur is the thread being too heavily NFC dominant. Especially NFC East in particular with me and DMW knowing more about our division than anything else.

We could potentially be opening up pandora's box with something of that nature, but it could also work. Im curious to hear how we would execute something of that sort.

Shiver
12-26-2006, 09:43 PM

What would you propose? An issue that may occur is the thread being too heavily NFC dominant. Especially NFC East in particular with me and DMW knowing more about our division than anything else.

We could potentially be opening up pandora's box with something of that nature, but it could also work. Im curious to hear how we would execute something of that sort.

Yeah, I too am curious. Although truthfully, I keep trying to write my week 16 edition, but I've run acrossed writers block. A change-up would be nice.

I would love for njx to do some write-ups, as a change of pace, opposed to his usual work where he owns random dummies. :lol:

bigbluedefense
12-26-2006, 09:45 PM

Yeah, I too am curious. Although truthfully, I keep trying to write my week 16 edition, but I've run acrossed writers block. A change-up would be nice.

DO IT!!! I seriously look forward to your write up every Tuesday. Its such a great writeup every time.

Shiver
12-26-2006, 09:46 PM
I am a day late, I'll try to hammer it out tonight, as I am kind of a insomniac so I have nothing better to do.. :lol:

njx9
12-26-2006, 09:46 PM

my first thought would be in a vaguely interview style, at least to start. submit to you guys like 10-15 questions beforehand so that you'd at least have a chance to think of a few things you wanted to point out, but then include some discussion after each, argument or counter-point. this is very off-the-cuff, so bear with me if some of this doesn't sound perfectly thought out.

i guess i'd think to pattern it after NFL Live, except that you people say infinitely more interesting things than the guys on that show, in terms of someone acting as Wingo, and you guys taking over the discussion from some questions. clearly, if there were issues you particularly wanted to address, those could be part of the question process, btu the process would hopefully ensure that the AFC would be represented.

it'd be nice to get something like 5-6 guys, some for the NFC and a couple for the AFC (like i said, since it's off the cuff, i only picked up a couple of names that sprung to mind immediately).

ideally, we could get a separate board created that wouldn't be viewable by anyone (to make the process easier) and then simply move the thread here afterwards for general discussion by everyone. given the number of responses to most of your and shiver's write-ups and the... polarizing nature of some of the things DMW says (no knock here, i appreciate it), i think it would generate some good discussion, especially for those fans whose teams have been eliminated.

thoughts, concerns, etc.?

bigbluedefense
12-26-2006, 09:48 PM
I am a day late, I'll try to hammer it out tonight, as I am kind of a insomniac so I have nothing better to do.. :lol:

Im expecting "The NFC is a crapshoot part 100000000000000000000" to be somewhere in there, lol.

bigbluedefense
12-26-2006, 09:52 PM

my first thought would be in a vaguely interview style, at least to start. submit to you guys like 10-15 questions beforehand so that you'd at least have a chance to think of a few things you wanted to point out, but then include some discussion after each, argument or counter-point. this is very off-the-cuff, so bear with me if some of this doesn't sound perfectly thought out.

i guess i'd think to pattern it after NFL Live, except that you people say infinitely more interesting things than the guys on that show, in terms of someone acting as Wingo, and you guys taking over the discussion from some questions. clearly, if there were issues you particularly wanted to address, those could be part of the question process, btu the process would hopefully ensure that the AFC would be represented.

it'd be nice to get something like 5-6 guys, some for the NFC and a couple for the AFC (like i said, since it's off the cuff, i only picked up a couple of names that sprung to mind immediately).

ideally, we could get a separate board created that wouldn't be viewable by anyone (to make the process easier) and then simply move the thread here afterwards for general discussion by everyone. given the number of responses to most of your and shiver's write-ups and the... polarizing nature of some of the things DMW says (no knock here, i appreciate it), i think it would generate some good discussion, especially for those fans whose teams have been eliminated.

thoughts, concerns, etc.?

I like it, I like it alot. We all get presented the questions before hand and we give our analysis of the topic at hand. That would be great. Id love for you to be one of the AFC guys, you gotta be part of it. I look forward to it.

Let's work out the details. It would be a great segway leading to the playoffs.

njx9
12-26-2006, 09:52 PM

I would love for njx to do some write-ups, as a change of pace, opposed to his usual work where he owns random dummies. :lol:

heh, i kept meaning to all year, mostly so that people would have a chance to rip apart the things i thought. i dunno, i've been trying to get a book finished, so the writing's been pretty consumed in terms of putting together enough thoughts for a serious discussion, rather than just picking at things other people say.

bigbluedefense
12-26-2006, 09:54 PM
I gotta get up early tomorrow, so I may be away from the PC, but I'll still be around. It definately sounds like a good idea.

12-26-2006, 09:54 PM

Im expecting "The NFC is a crapshoot part 100000000000000000000" to be somewhere in there, lol.

There has to have been more than just 100000000000000000000 :lol:

njx9
12-26-2006, 09:57 PM
i'll try to work some things out. i'm not sure if any admins are around, since we'd need them to get the board created... i'll pm some folks in the meantime. hopefully by thursday or friday the board can be up and we can get some things started before the weekend and have it up by monday or tuesday.

Ravens1991
12-26-2006, 10:12 PM
Even though I dont really have any write up expierence if you need somebody from the AFC just shoot me a PM.

yourfavestoner
12-26-2006, 11:08 PM
This actually sounds like a brilliant idea.

And Shiv, get that writeup done. I look forward to it every week.

Xonraider
12-26-2006, 11:16 PM
I'm going to do one of these next year too.. :D

Terrific job though.

Crabjuice
12-27-2006, 02:17 AM
9. [b]Vernon Davis.... For all his strength, he doesn't block well, nor will he ever block well because of his short arms.

Way off on this one. :wink:

Dam8610
12-27-2006, 02:31 AM
Wow, that's impressive, especially #7.

DMWSackMachine
12-28-2006, 05:13 PM
This sounds pretty interesting. I'd be happy to be involved, but it seems like a good idea to have some sort of designated format - even it it's simply a loosely put together one - for the sake of apple to apple comparison's on different topics. We could do something of the nature of a team-by-team analysis with our #1 "Essential Truth" (or whatever you want to call it) for each side of the ball, and then a "wild-card" point that we think will likely come into play with the team. Then, beyond that we could have something like 3 points apeice to talk about each conference and what we expect to see, how things will/won't play out, or even commentary on one particular player/trend/pattern/whatever.

IDK, just a suggestion, but I definately think there should be fair amount of structure for the sake of comparing ideas on an even playing field. But whatever we decide I'll happily contribute. We need to decide pretty quick here, it will likely take a fair deal of time/effort (at least for me), and the sooner I know what's up, the better the final product will be.

DMWSackMachine
12-28-2006, 05:42 PM
Btw, BBD, I remember reading this post back when you made it, and thinking that it was about 60-40 right.....but looking back it was truly an impressive job.

If one wanted to nit-pick, they could find something wrong with probably 6 or 7 of your points, but the spirit of what you were saying was right on everything......lol, except your beloved G-men. It's funny how that works, isn't it? Love does truly blind us.

Still, while LJ may ultimately win the rushing title, I would still consider your point to be right. People were saying that he would run away with it, and that 2000 was the benchmark for success for him this season, but he has had waaaaaay more carries than LT, and is currently neck and neck with him. I expected him to be in it, but to lose out to somebody that came out of the pack. I truly didn't expect it to be LT to win it (even though I have always thought that he was the best RB in the league), because of the vulturing nature of Michael Turner, but I am happy to see him in position to do just that.

As to the AFC West point, while you may sound off on that one, it was still a good one. The inclusion of the Raiders in that group was a bone-head one, imo, and the only part that I would argue with right now (though I personally would have told you you were dead wrong to think that the Chiefs had a chance before the season), as the Broncos looked like the class of the division 1/3 of the way in, while the Chiefs made a serious run at it before falling back to the pack. I don't think the Chargers are that much better than the rest of the league. Rather, I think they have had a series of fortunate circumstances conspire to keep them where they are, with the Bengals win, followed by the early deficit-turned-win @ Denver that ultimately (at least imo) sealed Denver's fate for the season and catapulted the Chargers to the top of the division - and league. So, while it superficially looks that you were full of it on that one, I would consider you to have captured the spirit of what has actually transpired, even if the letter seems to be wrong.

Definately a job well done. 8)

njx9
12-28-2006, 06:48 PM
word, i should have a forum up by tomorrow, so when you see something new on the board, stop in. my plan would be to spend some portion of tomorrow finalizing the format, then getting stuff up over the weekend and tuesday (since a "drinking" weekend may not be conducive for everyone to get things up) then copy forward the posts on either tuesday or wednesday.