PDA

View Full Version : John Clayton reports...

P-L
04-15-2007, 01:16 PM
that the Lions like JaMarcus Russell more than they do Brady Quinn. Sorry if this was posted already, but I didn't see it. I don't have a link, but you can watch the video on ESPN.com in the 2007 NFL Draft section. It's a video talking about how JaMarcus isn't a lock to go to Oakland #1 overall, although he still expects it. He then went on to say that if the Raiders do decide to pick Calvin Johnson then the Lions would favor JaMarcus Russell over Brady Quinn. Thoughts?

detroit4life
04-15-2007, 01:37 PM
i like russell more than quinn as well but this could very easily be a smoke screen that if russell does fall to us cleveland or someone else would try to move up. But if we were to take one of the two QB's i'd rather Russell

Scotty D
04-15-2007, 01:38 PM
This makes me excited. I've liked Russell all along. Probably is a smoke screen though.

Thomas7399
04-15-2007, 01:54 PM
Yeah, im smelling smoke-screen (pun intended). I dont think Cleveland's GM (Phil Savage?) should have relayed to the world how enamoured he is with JR---could cost his team.

princefielder28
04-15-2007, 01:57 PM
A little suprised but Russell has some appealing football abilities

Ravens1991
04-15-2007, 01:58 PM
Yeah, im smelling smoke-screen (pun intended). I dont think Cleveland's GM (Phil Savage?) should have relayed to the world how enamoured he is with JR---could cost his team.

Phil said last year if Ngata is at his pick he will definetly take him. Then he picked up a 6th by switching 1sts with baltimore.

GiantRutgersFan
04-15-2007, 02:03 PM
lol. Russell on the Lions would be a disaster imo

detroit4life
04-15-2007, 02:06 PM
and why is that?

Thomas7399
04-15-2007, 02:10 PM
Phil said last year if Ngata is at his pick he will definetly take him. Then he picked up a 6th by switching 1sts with baltimore.

well played, touche'

Thomas7399
04-15-2007, 02:15 PM
lol. Russell on the Lions would be a disaster imo

How would it be any less of a disaster if he is in Oakland, Cleveland or Minnesota?

The Lions have one of the premier young WR's in the league, improved O-line and improving defense. Also, JR can hide behind Jon Kitna for a season while he gets NFL-ready, something he most likely can not do in any of those other places.

Call it homerism, but im just calling it like I see it

ThEvIcTR
04-15-2007, 02:30 PM
Maybe the Giants should draft J.R. because Eli is the biggest bust since Ryan Leaf. Don't come on here saying he is gonna have a better year either, he loses Tiki Barber and I dont think Tai Streets has more then 2 years if he stays healthy. The giants have done nothing to improve their O line either.

I would much rather have the lions not draft a QB this draft and wait until next years draft and cash in on Brain Brohm or Colt Brennan.

Vikes99ej
04-15-2007, 02:36 PM
If the Lions draft Russell, then I know where Quinn is going.

scottyboy
04-15-2007, 02:38 PM
Maybe the Giants should draft J.R. because Eli is the biggest bust since Ryan Leaf. Don't come on here saying he is gonna have a better year either, he loses Tiki Barber and I dont think Tai Streets has more then 2 years if he stays healthy. The giants have done nothing to improve their O line either.

I would much rather have the lions not draft a QB this draft and wait until next years draft and cash in on Brain Brohm or Colt Brennan.

i was gonna come on here saying to ignore GRF and say JRwould be a nice fit in det. but you come out with that- so, Eli isnt a bust as he's only played 2 years and made the playoffs both. No lions fan can talk about busts on offense,we only lost 1 oline man and the rest is solid ,and where the hell did Tai Streets come from???

Scotty D
04-15-2007, 02:41 PM
i was gonna come on here saying to ignore GRF and say JRwould be a nice fit in det. but you come out with that- so, Eli isnt a bust as he's only played 2 years and made the playoffs both. No lions fan can talk about busts on offense,we only lost 1 oline man and the rest is solid ,and where the hell did Tai Streets come from???

Yeah could someone explain to me why you cut Luke Petitgout? That move made no sense to me.

scottyboy
04-15-2007, 02:44 PM
aging fast, massive injury problems with back and leg. too many penalties. he also was gonna make around 5 mil this year. i was a little surprised, but it did make a little sense

ThEvIcTR
04-15-2007, 02:52 PM
Charles Rodgers broke his collarbone twice and couldn't stop smoking weed. Did you ever watch rodgers play before he got hurt? He actually made Joey harrington look decent. in 2002 we had to pick up Joey Harrington we needed a QB very badly and tedfords system made him look very very good. Mike Williams is a bum and none of us wanted him at all. I wanted to pick up Merriman or Derrick Johnson.

Eli is just a little bitching baby, i bet he regrets not going to the chargers now. Congratulations giants fans you have done something not even the terrible lions can say they have done. You have practically made the chargers Superbowl contenders in 3 years because of your decision making.

scottyboy
04-15-2007, 03:36 PM
Charles Rodgers broke his collarbone twice and couldn't stop smoking weed. Did you ever watch rodgers play before he got hurt? He actually made Joey harrington look decent. in 2002 we had to pick up Joey Harrington we needed a QB very badly and tedfords system made him look very very good. Mike Williams is a bum and none of us wanted him at all. I wanted to pick up Merriman or Derrick Johnson.

Eli is just a little bitching baby, i bet he regrets not going to the chargers now. Congratulations giants fans you have done something not even the terrible lions can say they have done. You have practically made the chargers Superbowl contenders in 3 years because of your decision making.

that doesnt make up for them being busts... yea Eli really wishes he was in SD with a LB teammate on roids and a new head coach

JPLUFF
04-15-2007, 03:47 PM
This has to be a smokescreen in case Oakland picks Johnson. The reports have gone from us not even looking at a QB to this. Jamarcus will be great but in Martz's offense I still have my doubts.

TigerBait45
04-15-2007, 03:53 PM
Man, I'd love to see Russell in Martz's system. I'm an LSU fan, of course, and I think Detroit is as good a situation as he could get for a team in the top 5, except for maybe Arizona or something.

To be fair though, I've always had fantasys about the numbers he could've put up in June Jones' system in college too, haha.

Addict
04-15-2007, 03:57 PM
This has to be a smokescreen in case Oakland picks Johnson. The reports have gone from us not even looking at a QB to this. Jamarcus will be great but in Martz's offense I still have my doubts.

JR would be drafted into a much better situation if he goes toe detroit rather than Oakland that's for sure. I agree it's probably a smoke-screen. I still think that within the system Quinn would be better.

WMD
04-15-2007, 05:10 PM
I prefer Quinn to Russell.. but JaMarcus could be pretty good in the Mike Martz offense.

jbombul
04-15-2007, 05:15 PM
does anyone have the results of the iq test they take?? i know last year there was tons of critics saying young couldn't learn a system because he scored like a 19. anyways im just curious

Michigan
04-15-2007, 05:27 PM
Russell has been my 2nd choice all along after Joe Thomas. Quinn was inconsistent in college and the phrase (from Scott's report) "Does not play the run nearly as well as he does the pass" makes me want to avoid Gaines Adams at all costs.

asmitty45
04-15-2007, 05:43 PM
better be a smokescreen, if we get stuck at 2 w/ CJ off the board we should reach and take Gaines/Willis. Adress the bigger problems immidiately

GiantRutgersFan
04-15-2007, 05:49 PM
I think Quinn is a much better pick for the Lions.

Its an ok situation for any QB with 2 good WRs, but the line is subpar, as is the running attack.

no need for personal attacks, was just saying that Quinn is the better pick

ThEvIcTR
04-15-2007, 06:02 PM
that doesnt make up for them being busts... yea Eli really wishes he was in SD with a LB teammate on roids and a new head coach

I might have to put this quote in my profile because it is just way out there.

Merriman taking roids has nothing to do with the offense.Norv Turner is a great coach who helped Troy Aikmen to a HOF career, and helped turn the 49ers offense around very quickly.

Yeah it would be terrible handing the ball off to LT then on the next play throwing it to Gates.

Mythos
04-15-2007, 06:17 PM
does anyone have the results of the iq test they take?? i know last year there was tons of critics saying young couldn't learn a system because he scored like a 19. anyways im just curious

http://www.thesportjournal.org/2005Journal/Vol8-No2/mac-mirabile.asp

That test makes me ill. Solving algebra problems doesn't correlate to playing QB in the nfl. If you don't want to look at r^2 values, remember this: Joey had a great score.
------------------------------------------------------------
I think if M/M/M wanted Russell, McCown would already be a Raider. btw, didn't the top guys skip LSU's proday in favor of watching Stanton? Along those same lines, does anybody know the lions' list of 30--who they brought in and worked out?

Thomas7399
04-15-2007, 06:50 PM

That test makes me ill. Solving algebra problems doesn't correlate to playing QB in the nfl. If you don't want to look at r^2 values, remember this: Joey had a great score.
I think if M/M/M wanted Russell, McCown would already be a Raider. btw, didn't the top guys skip LSU's proday in favor of watching Stanton? Along those same lines, does anybody know the lions' list of 30--who they brought in and worked out?

I think a lot of GM's would somewhat agree with that viewpoint....I am pretty sure that Vince Young had the lowest Wonderlic score of the top 3 qb's last draft and he ended up going first.

detroit4life
04-15-2007, 06:50 PM
i would like russell he's going to be a good pro and he's got enough raw talent that if you give him a year with martz he could to wonders.

detroit4life
04-15-2007, 06:55 PM
I think Quinn is a much better pick for the Lions.

Its an ok situation for any QB with 2 good WRs, but the line is subpar, as is the running attack.

no need for personal attacks, was just saying that Quinn is the better pick

udidnt say quinn was the better pick all u said was russell to the lions would be a disaster. The line is gtting better they are dedicated to improving it and the running attack has no reasons not to be good with a trio of KJ Bell and Duckett. They have 3 WR's that fit this system he would actually be in a great position to succeed add those factors with the fact that he can sit for a year and learn from Martz

woodnick
04-15-2007, 08:54 PM

CJ21 was in on April 11, others include Landry, Beck, Stanton, Edwards, Adams, Beason, there are a bunch others, but I can't remember.

P-L
04-15-2007, 11:07 PM
I think if M/M/M wanted Russell, McCown would already be a Raider. btw, didn't the top guys skip LSU's proday in favor of watching Stanton?
I'm not sure this means as much as some people say it does. When the Raiders had Calvin Johnson in for a workout, Al Davis "barely had time to talk with him." But now there are sources saying that the Raiders are leaning towards taking Johnson by a "large margin." Also, if I recall correctly, Millen and Marinelli weren't at Ernie Sims' pro day last year.

detroit4life
04-16-2007, 07:59 AM
they had the MSU pro day the same day and they went to that im sure distance played a part in that but also at that time i think it was speculated that Russell was a lock to the raiders

Notredameleo
04-16-2007, 11:03 AM
I prefer Quinn to Russel, honestly.

JoeMontainya
04-16-2007, 11:28 AM
Lions seem to announce they will take whoever the Browns are speulated to grab. Everythime theres a hint the Browns will do something: the lions say the exact same thing. Hopefully your GM actually has a plan on draft day unlike the years past or this could be ugly. They better be planning something other than "try and pressure Cleveland or Tampa to trade up with our FALSE rumors".

dreadedluck
04-17-2007, 05:19 PM
Quinn is a better fit in Detroit. Harrington's strengths were his deep ball accuracy and his overall arm strength, so why did the guy not know what a Hail Mary was!! When I saw him play he was known as Happy Feet Harrington. Russell's strengths are the same, im not saying he is a Harrington but if put in a system that doesnt benifit how he plays then good luck teaching him a whole new deal.

Best thing in the world he can throw out of the stadium, but how often will he get that chance?

A QB needs to adapt and learn to grow and Quinn with little talent around him has shown that...lets not forget Tom Brady, and what NE and Weiss did with him. 2 years of pro coaching and game planning under his belt. Golic is right, he can be your Hero!

Scotty D
04-17-2007, 05:35 PM
Lions seem to announce they will take whoever the Browns are speulated to grab. Everythime theres a hint the Browns will do something: the lions say the exact same thing. Hopefully your GM actually has a plan on draft day unlike the years past or this could be ugly. They better be planning something other than "try and pressure Cleveland or Tampa to trade up with our FALSE rumors".

Please you make it sound if our preparation for the draft involves buying a dart board from Wal-Mart and printing out the names of the top 100 players from NFLdraftcountdown.com. :p

Mythos
04-17-2007, 05:39 PM
CJ21 was in on April 11, others include Landry, Beck, Stanton, Edwards, Adams, Beason, there are a bunch others, but I can't remember.

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize they'd interviewed that many QBs.

"I'm not sure this means as much as some people say it does. When the Raiders had Calvin Johnson in for a workout, Al Davis "barely had time to talk with him." But now there are sources saying that the Raiders are leaning towards taking Johnson by a "large margin." Also, if I recall correctly, Millen and Marinelli weren't at Ernie Sims' pro day last year."

I'm keepin' the Landry hopes alive then.

reinar
04-17-2007, 11:06 PM
most teams take full advantage of the 30 players visiting rule, and interview more than that.