PDA

View Full Version : Dwayne Jarrett

faddafad
04-15-2007, 07:48 PM
If Jarrett was sitting there when the Jets had their 25th pick, would you take him over guys such as Spencer and Ross, and do you think the Jets staff would select him? With Coles getting up there in age and him talking retirement in the near future this offseason I think it would be a wise choice. He has a ton of talent, which was on display all season and especially the Rose Bowl. Thoughts?

throwback54milkman
04-15-2007, 09:44 PM
no, hes slow, and itd be hard for him to get YAC, which is what we thrive on. I'd much rather have Greg Olsen if we were going to go in that direction. But defense is more important.

hcbrad08
04-16-2007, 01:05 AM
Not a fan, but if it happened I wouldn;t be upset

BroadwayJoe10
04-16-2007, 11:21 AM
not the direction id ideally want to go in, id rather trade down if that were an option, however as far as recievers go if it were between him and possibly olsen id think id still want jarrett...the big knock on olsen was struggles to get YAC as well as ideal strength. Basically id like to go with jarrett just because of his constant productivity; as well as constant productivity in big time situations. Maybe in a year ill say differently but, as of now, i would not be too dissapointed to have him. this is not to say i want him over revis/houston/ross etc.

derza222
04-16-2007, 02:53 PM
This is definitely a realistic possibility, and eh maybe. Depends completely who's on the board. No good DB, rush LB, DL, even OL available then I guess we could go that direction. I'd be a bigger fan of going for a guy with more #1 potential like Meachem since we have a solid #2 already.

hcbrad08
04-16-2007, 06:36 PM
I'd be curious to see our stats regarding red zone efficiency (how many times we scored TD's settled for FGs or just didn't score) If it needs work Jarrett could be a viable option. As I said Im not a huge fan but if it happened I wouldn't be upset...(think: 3 months ago after the bowl games, would you have said I don't want to draft Dwayne Jarrett. Just goes to show the draft is insane)

Young Nasty Man
04-16-2007, 09:30 PM
im going to assume the guy who created this post is from Brunswick or some part of Jersey. I dont think we should even consider it. We have much bigger needs then him at that pick. No a clear no..

hcbrad08
04-16-2007, 09:47 PM
That's a little too harsh... He is a playmaker who we would have taken in 2 seconds if the draft was January 10th. His stock dropped b/c he was compared to Mike Williams which is completely unfounded bc while they had similar 40 times Williams wasn't passionate about football he wanted to get payed and tried to come out as a sophmore and then had to sit out a year whereas Jarrett is coming off a ridiculous year with John David Booty and Steve Smith not Matt Leinart and Reggie Bush. He had to step up this year for USC to be good without those two and he did...He ran a 4.6, but his game is being a tall leaping reciever with great hands who gives good effort even in the run game (something williams didnt and doesn't do). Chad hasn't had a big 6'4'' WR since Randy Moss at Marshall (they'd did pretty well together) Jarret would add another element to our offense that would help Chad this year and beyond and Kellen in the future...I'd prefer a CB but if he's there at 25 it's a possibility we grab him and pick up a cb in the 2nd.

Crickett
04-16-2007, 10:01 PM
He had to step up this year for USC to be good without those two and he did...He ran a 4.6, but his game is being a tall leaping reciever with great hands who gives good effort even in the run game (something williams didnt and doesn't do).

With the exception of the run blocking, (and there is only one wide receiver I've ever heard of who was known for his run blocking, his name is Hines Ward), that sounds an awful lot like Mike Williams.

Chad hasn't had a big 6'4'' WR since Randy Moss at Marshall (they'd did pretty well together) Jarret would add another element to our offense that would help Chad this year and beyond and Kellen in the future

Replace 6'4 with 6'2 and that sounds an awful lot like the argument I heard when Justin McCareins came into town.

As for Laveranues Coles "getting up there in age", he's 30.

hcbrad08
04-16-2007, 10:58 PM
With the exception of the run blocking, (and there is only one wide receiver I've ever heard of who was known for his run blocking, his name is Hines Ward), that sounds an awful lot like Mike Williams.

Keyshawn Johnson is also known for his run blocking along with Troy Brown, it's actually something coaches like Parcells, Belichick and Mangini (in the mold of both) like and look at (ref:Keyshawn Johnson's sunday conversation where he told Michael Irvin "All you guys (wr in the late 80's early 90's) did was catch the ball. I block and run the gaunlet, you've never played for Bill Parcells." Jarrett gives good effort and isn't as big and heavy as Williams who has balooned to 240-245 in the NFL (because he does not give effort in conditioning programs) which has slowed him down drastically from his combine weight of 230. This was said by Lane Kiffin the new coach of the Raiders and former coach of both mike williams and dwayne jarrett "I've heard him downgraded because of comparisons to Mike Williams," said Raiders coach Lane Kiffin, who coached both receivers at USC. "I don't understand why" They are different players and they may sound similar however if you saw both play in college (and could see their respective supporting casts) you would know there's a difference.

Replace 6'4 with 6'2 and that sounds an awful lot like the argument I heard when Justin McCareins came into town.

6'4'' and 6'2'' might be a 2inch difference, but Jarretts long arms and leaping ability make him a much bigger target. He is a huge wide reciever whereas McCareins 6'2'' frame is slightly above average and he could never jump out of a gym. In respect to LC which I didn't mentioned but will address anyway, he is only 30 which is not "up there" in age however he may be up there in physical condition. He said after last season that if he had to go through as strick a regiment as Mangini had last year between camps and practices he would consider retiring bc his body might not be able to take it, (which would make sense bc he often plays through injuries and is consdiered one of the toughest WR in the game, but playing through pain will shorten a career). LC was a critic all year of Mangini's tough practices and camps... He is the most outspoken against this new regime and either that or his being 30, beat up and tired may lead to the Jets looking at WR prospects soon.

"Laveranues Coles has hinted that retirement may be on the horizon, according to Newsday. "Physically, I don't think I can do another one of his camps," said Coles, who has been the most outspoken critic of first-year coach Eric Mangini's arduous work schedule. "I've thought about that all year. Man, will I be able to make it through another one of these camps? I guess we'll see. I'm not looking forward to it." He went on to say: "This system is built to work hard and it basically tears you down," he said. "At this point I'm starting to realize, with the way I'm feeling, that I'm getting pretty close to the end."

With statements like that it's kind of hard to ignore the fact that the Jets need another option at WR for the future whether it's Jarrett or not is besides the point. It is a possibility they take Jarrett if he is there at 25, like I've said personally I want a CB and think a few other players trump Jarrett, but it wouldn't be out of the question entirely. The jets may go 1)Jarrett 2a)Bennett/ Hughes/ Jackson/ wright /wilson /wade (there are viable #2 and potential #1 corners for the 2nd round) but the jets could also go 1)Ross/ Revis/ Houston 2a)Hill/ Davis...SO we'll see

I think the critics of drafting a WR need to realize the Jets have addressed as many holes that FA and the Salary CAp would allow and now in some sense they can think Best player available, best value available, or look long term as the Eagles have done for 5 or 6 years. 25 is a hard place to pick or predict, whatever they do at 25 (unless it's like Marshall Yanda) I'll support it I trust their talent evaluation.

derza222
04-17-2007, 04:04 PM
Actually Boldin is another WR known for his run blocking. There are a bunch of big differences between Jarrett and big Mike. First of all, Williams was out of football for a year and lazy as hell. He got overweight and slow, and clashed with the coaching staff. Not saying we should or will take him, more just defending DJ because although I'm not a big fan of the fit he'd be he doesn't deserve the Mike Williams comparisons at all IMO. Still I think he's too much of a #2 for us to take him, the red zone efficiency point is interesting though. But to solve that we could just grab a nice big TE a little later on.

Crickett
04-17-2007, 05:31 PM
Keyshawn Johnson is also known for his run blocking along with Troy Brown

Keyshawn Johnson is known for bringing down touch catches, his mouth and a very good possession WR. Troy Brown is known for being a team leader, versatile and being someone associated with the Patriots dynasty as he was there for all 3 rings. Known for run blocking? They may be decent run blockers, but they're not known specifically for that and I would argue that Hines Ward is.

6'4'' and 6'2'' might be a 2inch difference, but Jarretts long arms and leaping ability make him a much bigger target. He is a huge wide reciever whereas McCareins 6'2'' frame is slightly above average and he could never jump out of a gym. In respect to LC which I didn't mentioned but will address anyway, he is only 30 which is not "up there" in age however he may be up there in physical condition. He said after last season that if he had to go through as strick a regiment as Mangini had last year between camps and practices he would consider retiring bc his body might not be able to take it, (which would make sense bc he often plays through injuries and is consdiered one of the toughest WR in the game, but playing through pain will shorten a career). LC was a critic all year of Mangini's tough practices and camps... He is the most outspoken against this new regime and either that or his being 30, beat up and tired may lead to the Jets looking at WR prospects soon.

This sounds an awful lot like Coles simply complaining about traning camp. If he does retire, WR would certainly become the Jets top need, but if this is just mere complaining through the media, it means the Jets could be using a first round draft pick on someone who would be a slot receiver for upwards of four years. The Jets offense survived on ther passing game last season and considering the status of Pennington's arm, that's a minor miracle.

hcbrad08
04-17-2007, 05:44 PM
are you a jets fan?

Crickett
04-17-2007, 06:09 PM
are you a jets fan?

No, I just like talking about the Jets, watching Jets games and wearing Jets clothing such as shirts, jersies and in the winter, gloves and hats.

Not really a Jets fan.

TheChampIsHere
04-18-2007, 05:10 AM

Coles isnt that old but hes talked about retirement and being a small receiver who is fearless going across the middle and has made a living doing that his whole career and paid the price for it injuries, its understandable that he might cut his career short. Cotchery is an up and coming receiver who had a breakout season in 06 and McCareins is pretty much a plain and simple bust who wont be on the team much longer.

Im not expecting the Jets to go WR, but its possible. However, I dont think Jarrett would be the guy, Bowe would be a much better fit IMO. Like one guy said, YAC is very important in the Jets scheme and Bowe is much better running after the catch than Jarrett and a guy like Jarrett who catches everything thrown near him isnt as necessary when you've got a QB as accurate and smart as Pennington. I want Jarrett on my team if Ive got a young QB who needs a safety valve type receiver. A team like Dallas or Chicago I think makes more sense for Jarrett.

Don Vito
04-18-2007, 10:41 PM
Dwayne Jarrett is my #3 receiver (behind CJ and barely behind Bowe). He is a great player who is being overevaluated because of his 40 time. I really hope he does not go to the Jets or any AFC East team, I don't want 5-10 Asante or 5-9 Hobbs covering him twice a year.

It would be nice for the Jets to add a big threat like Jarrett, but your receiving corps is definitely fine the way it is now. At least good enough that you don't need to use a first rounder on a wideout.

frogstomp
04-19-2007, 12:24 AM
At least good enough that you don't need to use a first rounder on a wideout.

Exactly. We are an overachieving team that has a crapload of needs, and *must* have an excellent draft if we want to come close to our record from last year. We aren't a team like the Bears who don't really have a *need*, and can just go BPA.

TeachNC79
04-21-2007, 11:22 AM
Jarrett is going to be a solid player. He has very good size and strength for a receiver. He is not the fastest receiver ,however speed isn't everythng. I would rather see the jets address another need such as corner in the first round and grab a receiver a little later on in the draft.