PDA

View Full Version : Mayweather/De La Hoya 24/7

art vandelay
04-15-2007, 09:50 PM
Anybody else watching this on HBO? I left the TV on after Entourage and it's pretty good.

I didn't know that Mayweather and 50 Cent were boys. Mayweather is really cocky too..but I guess he has reason to be - he is undefeated. I can't wait for this fight.

remix 6
04-15-2007, 09:51 PM
Anybody else watching this on HBO? I left the TV on after Entourage and it's pretty good.

I didn't know that Mayweather and 50 Cent were boys. Mayweather is really cocky too..but I guess he has reason to be - he is undefeated. I can't wait for this fight.

i love Mayweather. im not a huge boxing fan but i watch him..hes cocky..quick and is very good at defending himself from getting hit with his quickness

check this out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT8BnJhiEbY

^jump rope routine. SICK

im watching 24/7 right now..Mayweather will rip De La Hoya. cant wait for the real fight

art vandelay
04-15-2007, 09:54 PM
Yeah I think Mayweather is going to straight pound De La Hoya. De La Hoya kind of seems scared of Mayweather. I mean Mayweather stole some of De La Hoya's **** and he didn't do anything about it! Mayweather came out and was like "Yeah, I took your ****, what you going to do about it?" De La Hoya did nothing.

bored of education
04-15-2007, 09:56 PM
mayweather is the best lb for lb boxers since pernell whitaker. he is a GREAT FIGHTER one of the best ever and a great entertainer. no one has even come closeof beating him.

i see him knocking ODLH or getting a TKO win.

bored of education
04-15-2007, 09:58 PM
ODLH is saying he is not goign to talk and do it in the ring. But he seems to not have the 'swagger', 'golden boy stature' he used to carry. I really think he is nervous.

And you cant say Mayweather is gonna go in unprepared. He is a 'workout warrior" alsways in tip top shape FOR EVERY FIGHT. he has always been this cocky.

i saw him fight Gatti, and i was hoping to God Gatti beat him. Gatti had no chance ot match the speed/precision/power of Mayweather

art vandelay
04-15-2007, 10:02 PM
Who was the dude that cheapshotted Mayweather? That was a dirty shot.

remix 6
04-15-2007, 10:03 PM
ODLH is saying he is not goign to talk and do it in the ring. But he seems to not have the 'swagger', 'golden boy stature' he used to carry. I really think he is nervous.

And you cant say Mayweather is gonna go in unprepared. He is a 'workout warrior" alsways in tip top shape FOR EVERY FIGHT. he has always been this cocky.

i saw him fight Gatti, and i was hoping to God Gatti beat him. Gatti had no chance ot match the speed/precision/power of Mayweather

exactly. oscar is very nervous while Mayweather talks like he always does.

i love the guy..hell of a fighter.

does anyone remember the EXACT quote that Mayweather gave against Gatti..went something like:

"It good to have heart; but heart can get your ass tore up"

i remember i used to rock that quote but then i changed it and cant find the exact quote

the cheapshot was against Judah

bored of education
04-15-2007, 10:15 PM
Yeah, FMjr is one of the few guys in ANY SPORT that can say what he wants.

DChess
04-15-2007, 11:05 PM
im so excited for this fight, but not in the way of like a texas or usc, were u know its going to be a good match. im excited because i love watching mayweather fight, and i dont think this is even going to be close

04-16-2007, 02:05 PM
Oscar is gonna beat Floyd. Oscar is a great fighter and he is gonna show it by beating Floyd. Everybody said Mayorga was gonna KO him and Oscar beat him bad. Oscar his mad a he's gonna do his talking on the Ring.

04-16-2007, 02:06 PM
Also, Ricky The Hitman Hatton would be able to take him out. And I do hope they fight that way Floyd has at least 2 losses under his belt.

jets future
04-16-2007, 02:08 PM

yea 50 cent bet one million dollars that merriweather will win. and in a previous fight when merriweather was coming in to the ring they played a 50 cent song i think it was i ll whoop ya head boy. and merriweather went to 50 s house for the all star game. i heard an interview on hot 97

remix 6
04-16-2007, 04:02 PM
yea 50 cent bet one million dollars that merriweather will win. and in a previous fight when merriweather was coming in to the ring they played a 50 cent song i think it was i ll whoop ya head boy. and merriweather went to 50 s house for the all star game. i heard an interview on hot 97

its "Mayweather"

not Merriweather.

although both are great athletes and some of my fav!

SuperMcGee
04-16-2007, 04:06 PM
Also, Ricky The Hitman Hatton would be able to take him out. And I do hope they fight that way Floyd has at least 2 losses under his belt.

I'll have to disagree here. I think Hatton would definitely lose at the hands of PBF.

bored of education
04-16-2007, 10:30 PM
Oscar is gonna beat Floyd. Oscar is a great fighter and he is gonna show it by beating Floyd. Everybody said Mayorga was gonna KO him and Oscar beat him bad. Oscar his mad a he's gonna do his talking on the Ring.

In that argument you are saying that Mayorga compares to Mayweather.

Mayweather is one of the most skilled, tactitions ever in the sport. The combination of precision and power AND SPEED is unparralled since Pernell Whitaker.

Oscar is Oscar a good fighter. But He doesn't have the speed or power to beat him. He has the knowledge and tactics. But being that Mayweather can counter box or be the one intiatiing the fighting and change it at any time will confuse Oscar. Oscar will study hard for it and train well. But he doesn't have nearly and never has had nearly the combination of ahtleticism, talent, power, knowledge, ring generalship that mayweather has.

and Mayweather has a very under rated chin. Very under rated.

bored of education
04-16-2007, 10:37 PM
I dont see many boxers who have a chance to beat FMJr.

Cotto not really, Margarito maybe he need to get through Paul Williams, Cotto and someone known before he can shoot his mouth about how he would whoop up on FMJr. I think Williams will beat Margarito.

Hatton NO CHANCE

SugarSean
04-26-2007, 06:58 PM
I dont see many boxers who have a chance to beat FMJr.

Cotto not really, Margarito maybe he need to get through Paul Williams, Cotto and someone known before he can shoot his mouth about how he would whoop up on FMJr. I think Williams will beat Margarito.

Hatton NO CHANCE

The toughest fight for Floyd is Oscar De la Hoya. Then I'd say Cotto, but just like Margarito, he gets hit too easily. Antonio Margarito stands a better chance against Cotto. They're tailor-made for each other. Honestly (other than Oscar), I think all of these guys would get outboxed by Floyd pretty easily. Oscar's not gonna be easily outboxed by anybody. I think Floyd would KO Cotto and easily TKO Margarito. No natural Jr. Middleweight or below can beat Floyd.

Rob S
04-26-2007, 07:36 PM
Nobody said Mayorga would KO DLH. Nobody at all, in fact most people realized that Mayorga was a handpicked opponent. You dont know boxing at all, sorry.

ATLDirtyBirds
04-26-2007, 08:25 PM
I'm a huge Mayweather fan. I can't wait to seem him destroy Oscar

DChess
04-26-2007, 08:38 PM
i really dont see him losing

bored of education
04-26-2007, 08:43 PM
Nobody said Mayorga would KO DLH. Nobody at all, in fact most people realized that Mayorga was a handpicked opponent. You dont know boxing at all, sorry.

LOL SERIOUSLY.

Mayweather TKO's or Majority Decision because some judge will be on Oscar's dick.

SugarSean
05-04-2007, 01:18 AM
I watched the show and all I can say is that Roger is a star. He needs his own show. Imagine how entertaining a reality show would be about James Toney tryin to resurrect his career with Roger as his trainer. Who wouldn't watch that? I know I would.

Phrost
05-04-2007, 01:29 AM
I saw the press conference on youtube, Mayweather came up to the mic and got straight G in dat *****, talking so much trash, then De La Hoya comes up.....laughing stock, he doesn't seem like an arrogant or belligerent person like most boxers.

ChewyRaven318
05-04-2007, 02:22 AM
How old is De La Hoya now?

seems like he's been around forever..

RyanLeaf#1
05-04-2007, 08:35 AM
De La Hoya is gonna knock him out.

bored of education
05-04-2007, 11:01 AM
My Final Take:

Speed- Mayweather
Experience- Non-Factor. OLDH has his expereience in big fights, Mayweather does as well. The big stage doesn't make FMJr react in any different way.
Jab- Mayweather
Ring Generalship- Oscar, good at using the whole ring.
Style-Oscar cannot be a counterpuncher or the initiator at different points in one round. mayweather can block punches with gloves counter counter counter. wait then deliver flurries to initiate contact.
Strenght-edge barely to Oscar.
Chin-even. i'll aruge for Oscar this time sorta. he has to actually hit FMJr to effect him.
Endurance/Stamina-Mayweather EASILY!
Ring Support- Roach is solid, but the drama will not effect FMJr at all..so even. Roger is under rated.
Size- Oscar.

Oscar has the experience to an extent, been on the bigger stage a few more times fought bigger names yes. Bigger boxers yes. He may not have knockout power that he used to have. i think that is the only way he can winis a knockout before the 9th round. if it goes to the championship rounds 10-11-12. Oscar will have to play the chaser, and FMJr can win coutner punching his was to the end.

I see FMJr winning by TKO in the 10th.

JPLUFF
05-04-2007, 11:21 AM
Anyone who thinks De La Hoya can win this is nuts. He won't be able to handle Mayweather's speed, just how like he couldn't handle Mosley's speed. Mayweather TKO in the 7th.

MaxV
05-04-2007, 11:33 AM
Anyone who thinks De La Hoya can win this is nuts. He won't be able to handle Mayweather's speed, just how like he couldn't handle Mosley's speed. Mayweather TKO in the 7th.

I think this fight will go the distance. Floyd isn't really a power puncher and I don't think he will KO Oscar.

However, I do think Mayweather SHOULD win on points.

Notredameleo
05-04-2007, 01:44 PM
Im gonna pick the upset and go with De La Hoya...but im wrong!!! SO who is actually ordering the fight???

05-04-2007, 01:48 PM

That's exactly what people were saying when Chavez was gonna fight him.

bored of education
05-04-2007, 02:12 PM
But JCC was 100 fights deep, already taken more of a beaten physcially and mentally than ODLH ever could think of. ODLH was prolly his best that night and how long ago was that. The cut over JCC's eye lost it more than he did. Too much wear and tear on his face. Anyone can attack an eye on a guy thats is well passed his prime.

Mayweather is different he doenst get hit even 1% of what JCC got hit. Different fighters verrry veerrry different fighters.

ripdw27
05-04-2007, 07:10 PM
what are the odds, whos providing ppv coverage?

ripdw27
05-04-2007, 07:11 PM
Im gonna pick the upset and go with De La Hoya...but im wrong!!! SO who is actually ordering the fight???

im thinkin about it, anyone kno the time n ppv station?

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
05-04-2007, 07:16 PM
De La Hoya is going to put Mayweather in his place, I can't wait.

kwilk103
05-04-2007, 07:31 PM
9 pm et; hbo ppv

Nitschke-Hawk
05-04-2007, 09:19 PM
I don't pretend to be a boxing analyst but I got Mayweather, he's in his prime.

bored of education
05-04-2007, 09:30 PM
love the sig

SeanTaylorRIP
05-05-2007, 07:00 AM
I don't pretend to be a boxing analyst but I got Mayweather, he's in his prime.

He's not in his prime at all, mentally especially.

nvot9
05-05-2007, 07:55 AM
Not really a big fan of boxing myself and certainly don't wanna pay to watch it, but my best friend bought it on pay per view for 55 bucks, and expects some people to go over to watch and split the cost, so I don't wanna let him down, so I guess I'm gunna pay 10 bucks to watch the actually fight.

But no, I haven't seen this show, heard it was pretty cool though. I'm really pulling for De La Hoya to win, only because Mayweather is a cocky son of a gun.

RonnieRun23
05-05-2007, 08:14 PM
Can anyone provide some coverage? thanks

Philliez01
05-05-2007, 08:38 PM
I'm trying to think, was it against Hernandez that Mayweather's hand problem really started to show up? I think that problem has persisted with him for quite some time and I do think that this could be his last fight. But if he were to retire, he'd be back in a few years (I IMAGINE).

princefielder28
05-05-2007, 09:51 PM
I think De La Hoya will find a way to win this fight.

ccB
05-05-2007, 10:30 PM
It's about to start.

Brodeur
05-05-2007, 10:30 PM
Mayweather wearing a sombrero and the Mexican flag is just hilarious.

bernbabybern820
05-05-2007, 10:35 PM
Wow i cant wait for this one. I dont get to watch many big fights.

bernbabybern820
05-05-2007, 10:39 PM
Here we go!!!!

ccB
05-05-2007, 11:18 PM
its gonna goto decision in favor of Mayweather.

bernbabybern820
05-05-2007, 11:19 PM
I have it even after 10 rounds.

Phrost
05-05-2007, 11:23 PM
Round 1

Lefts from Mayweather to start. Mayweather lands a right to the chin out of a clinch. De La Hoya flurries with lefts in close. Mayweather circling, sticking out left jabs. Oscar tries to close, but Floyd ties him up. Oscar needs to start cutting off the ring, or this could be a long night.
Mayweather, 10-9

Round 2

Stiff jabs from Oscar. Oscar lands a hook to the head, and flurries against the ropes, but Floyd slips most of them. Left-right-left from De La Hoya. Oscar backs Floyd to the ropes and flurries. De La Hoya tries to bully Mayweather as Floyd clinches. A lot of these punches are glancing off Mayweather's gloves and shoulders, but they are scoring. A much better round for De La Hoya.
De La Hoya, 10-9

Round 3

De La Hoya attacking with hooks. Jabs snap back Mayweather's head. Oscar backs Floyd into corner and unloads. Mayweather circles, pops out jabs. Overhand right from Mayweather, and another. De La Hoya throws combination in corner, but Mayweather slips many of them. De La Hoya's round, but later momentum of the round may be shifting back to Floyd, who seems to be timing Oscar again.
Mayweather, 10-9

Round 4

Lead left hook lands flush from Oscar, and more lefts cause Floyd to go backward. Strong overhand rights from Floyd. Oscar lands repeated punches to Floyd's body in the corner. Another good overhand right from Floyd. Oscar lands big left hook against ropes at the bell to steal the round.
Mayweather, 10-9

Round 5

Good overhand right from Floyd. Left-right from Floyd, flurry from Oscar, straight right from Floyd. Left-right combination from Floyd. Left-right from Floyd. Another strong right from Floyd, who has clearly decided that that is his preferred weapon. Oscar suddenly looking a bit ragged in there.
Mayweather, 10-9

Round 6

Short uppercut through the guard from Mayweather. De La Hoya flurries against the ropes, but everything bounces off Floyd's arms and gloves. Double left hook from Floyd. Sweeping right hand just misses from Floyd. De La Hoya lands a short right inside and Mayweather immediately retaliates. Brief exchange at the bell, but Mayweather's are the sharper, more accurate, heavier punches. Right now, Mayweather is timing De La Hoya beautifully with a straight left followed by an overhand right and Oscar doesn't appear to have an answer.
Mayweather, 10-9

Round 7

Oscar tries some big punches with Floyd's back against the ropes, but Floyd twists and turns and nullifies most of them. Stiff jabs from De La Hoya. A pair of overhand rights land to the temple from Mayweather. Left upstairs and right to the body from Floyd. De La Hoya flurries again with Mayweather's back to the ropes. Mayweather was much less busy in that round, but still probably landed the more effective punches.
De La Hoya, 10-9

Round 8

Left-right-left lands from De La Hoya, followed by another stiff left. Mayweather misses with a sweeping right, lands a short left inside and then a short right. Short lead left hook from Mayweather. Short right from Floyd. Oscar flurries and tries to steal round at the end.
Mayweather, 10-9

Round 9

Stiff jabs from De La Hoya, but a solid right hand lands from Floyd. Beautiful six-punch sequence from Floyd, beginning with short uppercut and ending with overhand right. Oscar flurries again, but Mayweather parries very well with his arms. Right hand downstairs from Floyd is borderline, but he lands a solid right to the head. Straight right from Floyd.
De La Hoya, 10-9

Round 10

Mayweather throws a pair of left-right combinations, half blocked by De La Hoya. Mayweather lands a short right, slips under De La Hoya's jab and moves away. Mayweather trying to fight small, going into a crouch and looking for a way inside. Left hand from Mayweather misses but a straight right hand at the bell lands right on the chin.
Mayweather, 10-9

Phrost
05-05-2007, 11:26 PM
Round 11

Mayweather lands another overhand right and follows with a stiff left. Good right hand from De La Hoya, but a better one in return from Mayweather. Again, Mayweather lands with the short lead right hand. Big right from Oscar near the end of the round. Oscar is trying to make a fight of it.
Mayweather, 10-9

(on a side note, I have decided that Charles Barkley is my personally most hated sports personality.)

ccB
05-05-2007, 11:26 PM
Sir Charles is the man.

Brodeur
05-05-2007, 11:27 PM
I thought Mayweather won the fight but it was a very very close fight.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
05-05-2007, 11:28 PM
You should probably have posted that link to ESPN...

(to the guy who copied and pasted their coverage)

Phrost
05-05-2007, 11:28 PM
DRAW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phrost
05-05-2007, 11:29 PM
You should probably have posted that link to ESPN...

Making it easier on people.

Nitschke-Hawk
05-05-2007, 11:48 PM
this is crap

oh espnnews says floyd wins

wooooooo!

LTgiants
05-05-2007, 11:50 PM
it was a great fight 2 watch for free but if i had 2 pay for it wouldve defintley been worth the money

FLOYD WINS SPLIT DECISION

remix 6
05-05-2007, 11:50 PM
its not crap..Mayweather won it..and should of won by more. He had nice defense besides when he got flurried at end of rounds. He laid a nice hit at the end of 10 i believe right in the face. Mayweather was much much more accurate than Del La Hoya.

Mayweather won..says hes gonna retire like he said before because hes got nothing else to prove and theres bigger/better things in life and the time belongs to his children

Nitschke-Hawk
05-05-2007, 11:52 PM
its not crap..Mayweather won it..and should of won by more. He had nice defense besides when he got flurried at end of rounds. He laid a nice hit at the end of 10 i believe right in the face. Mayweather was much much more accurate than Del La Hoya.

Mayweather won..says hes gonna retire like he said before because hes got nothing else to prove and theres bigger/better things in life and the time belongs to his children

i know its not crap, i edited my post already, i was going by what phost sai, then i flipped to espnnews and saw floyd won, i wanted floyd to win

remix 6
05-05-2007, 11:55 PM
oh okay

anyways it was a good fight..i thought Oscar fought pretty well especially early but Mayweather is just too quick. was closer than i thought but either way i think Mayweather should of won more decisivly than a 2:1

im not a big fan of point system at times like today..Oscar may have thrown so many punches but his accuracy was way off Mayweather's

ATLDirtyBirds
05-05-2007, 11:56 PM
WTF was that judge thinking? Floyd owned the mofo.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
05-05-2007, 11:58 PM
WTF was that judge thinking? Floyd owned the mofo.

That my friend is why you don't bet boxing. I was worried about laying down -180 on Floyd, simply because of that fact.

That judge who scored it for DLH definitely bet big on DLH. What a joke.

And what a snooze fest this boxing match was.

That is the end of boxing.

HawkeyeFan
05-06-2007, 12:10 AM
That away Mayweather!

Phrost
05-06-2007, 12:35 AM
Good to see the resident ODLH fan boys are here.

SuperMcGee
05-06-2007, 12:36 AM
The split was lame, Floyd definitely won it. 57% power shots landed, not too shabby right there. Oscar was alright, but he came off a little slow (and I don't think it was just by comparison that I think this), I didn't care much for his footwork. Some close rounds, but at best I would give Oscar 5 of them.

SuperMcGee
05-06-2007, 12:37 AM
And some other things:

-Larry Merchant and Roger Mayweather are unintentional comedic geniuses
-Floyd Mayweather Sr. looks like the Predator

Phrost
05-06-2007, 12:42 AM
Did you notice Sr.'s insatiable need for attention?

Billingsley26
05-06-2007, 12:44 AM
And some other things:

-Larry Merchant and Roger Mayweather are unintentional comedic geniuses
-Floyd Mayweather Sr. looks like the Predator

HAHAHA, me and my buddies were saying that about Floyd Sr. LOL!

I thought the fight was much closer than the announcers were talking on TV. Lederman, to me seemed way off, in some of his round by round scores. I thought that DLH had 4 of the first 5 rounds. Mayweather then took over, but I would say it got some what more even later on. I dont disagree with Mayweather winning, but I think that it could've gone both ways.

Floyd Sr. also said that he thinks that based on punches thrown and agressiveness, DLH should've won the fight.

Psycho
05-06-2007, 12:46 AM
It should've been unanimous decision in favor of pretty boy imo... close, but not close enough to get a split decision for me

DChess
05-06-2007, 12:47 AM
this could've gone either way, any decision would've been fine with me, but there is no doubt, there will be a rematch

Billingsley26
05-06-2007, 12:49 AM
this could've gone either way, any decision would've been fine with me, but there is no doubt, there will be a rematch

I dont think so. Mayweather seems to be a man of his word, and I think hes done. I would love to see a rematch, no doubt, but I think Mayweather is done. He leaves on top, as a champion, and beating the best.

DChess
05-06-2007, 12:51 AM
I dont think so. Mayweather seems to be a man of his word, and I think hes done. I would love to see a rematch, no doubt, but I think Mayweather is done. He leaves on top, as a champion, and beating the best.

they just had an interview where he said he would participate in a rematch

Billingsley26
05-06-2007, 12:54 AM
they just had an interview where he said he would participate in a rematch

Dont know what interview you were watching, but right after the fight Mayweahter Flat out said he was done. He was retiring to spend time with his kids. He was the best, and he had nothing else to prove.

MP123
05-06-2007, 12:56 AM
That makes Mayweather 39-0-0, right?

Psycho
05-06-2007, 12:56 AM
On SC Mayweather basically said he hasn't completely made up his mind yet, even though he's leaning towards retirement

Billingsley26
05-06-2007, 12:57 AM
That makes Mayweather 39-0-0, right?

38-0-0 is his record

portermvp84
05-06-2007, 01:04 AM
I missed the fight can anyone fill me in on what happened?

SuperMcGee
05-06-2007, 01:11 AM
I'd want to see Floyd still fight some of the top welterweights. Mosley fight would still be good, so would a few other names. I can't wait for the Williams-Margarito fight.

Billingsley26
05-06-2007, 01:12 AM
I missed the fight can anyone fill me in on what happened?

Well, heres what I think

DLH Id say had the first 4 rounds, possibly 5, he was using his jab effectively, throwing FMJ off, and he got him into the corner a few times, throwing tons of punches, not landing a lot of them, but still holding him donw and letting them go. Mayweather, looked to play this one smart, he wasn't losing his mindset, and he wasnt going after DLH the same way.

The next few seemed to turn almost the exact opposite. FMJ played the waiting game early on, and it seemed to work. DLH looked as if he was getting tired, and FMJ capitalized. He used his quick jabs, and caught DLH when his hands were down. He did this for a few rounds. DLH seemed to really slow down at this point, and it looked as if FMJ would take over.

FMJ still controlled a few off the late rounds, but DLH seemed to regain his strength, or will to fight. He came back, but totally abandoning his jab, that worked so well early on, and got FMJ in the corner again a few times. FMJ was to quick, and DLH wasnt using his jab to slow him down at all. FMJ still had pretty decent control over the fight at this point, however, DLH stilled put up a solid fight.

The last round. Id say at this point, you could give the SLIGHT edge to FMJ, but it was close. The last round, seemed as if FMJ was going to, well not finish him off, but control the last round. For the most part, he kinda did, but with about 1 1/2 minutes left, DLH just got whatever he had left in him, and put everything out there. Really good to see that, as FMJ did the same. They ended the fight both guys swinging relentlessly, then gave each other a hug afterwards. GREAT FIGHT. FMJ won a spit decision.

Thats what I got.

the Laos
05-06-2007, 01:19 AM
I'd want to see Floyd still fight some of the top welterweights. Mosley fight would still be good, so would a few other names. I can't wait for the Williams-Margarito fight.

the williams-margarito fights going be sick, can't wait. as for floyd fighting the top welterweights, i think the mosley fight would be good on paper, but i don't really think it'd be a good fight. we seen what happens when shane fights good boxers such as forrest and winky. although cotto's chin is suspect, i'd think that'd be a good clash of styles with his relentless body attack.

MaxV
05-06-2007, 01:24 AM
I told you guys that this fight would go the distance, and I told you that DLH would give Floyd problems.

I also called it with Floyd winning by a small margin on points.

Phrost
05-06-2007, 01:29 AM
I told you guys that this fight would go the distance, and I told you that DLH would give Floyd problems.

As did many, not exactly the grand inquisition. Nice call though.

the Laos
05-06-2007, 01:32 AM

what problems did he give floyd? i thought it was easy work for him.

Makaveli
05-06-2007, 03:55 AM
what was the song 50 cent was rapping too when he was introducing him??

Notredameleo
05-06-2007, 08:56 AM
I liked the sportsmanship that Mayweather showed after the fight!!! Classy for an unclassy guy, which I think his "unclassiness" is mostly the character that he made for himself.

kwilk103
05-06-2007, 11:44 AM
straight to the bank---its off his new cd comin out, curtis

Billingsley26
05-06-2007, 02:15 PM
what problems did he give floyd? i thought it was easy work for him.

Early on DLH's jab worked nicely. He seemed to abandon it later on. The other thing I think that held FMJ back was the fact that DLH kept getting him in the corner, and although, DLH didnt land many of those punches, FMJ didnt have any opportunities to do anything back. Those two things really slowed FMJ down, and thats why Id give the early nod to DLH.

After DLH stopped using his jab, FMJ was his usual self. Flying around the ring, getting punches in almost everywhere. I belive there was one round where FMJ had almost 70% punches landed. (could be wrong, but it was high). It wasnt until later on when DLH started to come back, but at the same time FMJ began pouring it on, making this one hell of a fight.

YAYareaRB
05-06-2007, 03:58 PM
As the rounds went by you could tell DLH was getting tired by looking at the punch stats. FMJ started to surpass him in both punches thrown and punches landed, along with percentages. All in all, it was a good fight, many of the guys I watched it with felt strongly that DLH should have won but it's all history now.

the Laos
05-06-2007, 04:41 PM
Early on DLH's jab worked nicely. He seemed to abandon it later on. The other thing I think that held FMJ back was the fact that DLH kept getting him in the corner, and although, DLH didnt land many of those punches, FMJ didnt have any opportunities to do anything back. Those two things really slowed FMJ down, and thats why Id give the early nod to DLH.

After DLH stopped using his jab, FMJ was his usual self. Flying around the ring, getting punches in almost everywhere. I belive there was one round where FMJ had almost 70% punches landed. (could be wrong, but it was high). It wasnt until later on when DLH started to come back, but at the same time FMJ began pouring it on, making this one hell of a fight.

i think floyd was holding back as well, but he was never close to being in trouble. everytime oscar would get floyd on the ropes, the crowd would roar without realizing that floyd slipped virtually all oscar's punches, that's why floyd would always laugh after he got off the ropes.

locseti
05-06-2007, 05:00 PM
Huge props to Mayweather for coming to the ring in Mexican colors and a sombrero. That was hilarious. I was still rooting for the Golden Boy, but that was funny.

Don Vito
05-06-2007, 05:08 PM
I believe Matweather officially retired, not sure if that was already posted though.

locseti
05-06-2007, 05:12 PM
I believe Matweather officially retired, not sure if that was already posted though.

I doubt anyone actually believes that

Billingsley26
05-06-2007, 05:16 PM
i think floyd was holding back as well, but he was never close to being in trouble. everytime oscar would get floyd on the ropes, the crowd would roar without realizing that floyd slipped virtually all oscar's punches, that's why floyd would always laugh after he got off the ropes.

That is what I was saying above, as to how DLH wasnt landing many of those punches on FMJ. However, holding him down on the ropes, prevented FMJ from attacking back. I thought that was funny tho how FMJ was laughing after that.

Mayweather said himself after the fight, that he is done, he proved everything he needed to prove, and that hes done everything he needs to do. He wants to focus more on his kids life.

I could see him coming back.

Also, did anyone else notice how much the HBO broadcasters seemed to be in favor of Floyd? Listening to them, you would think that Floyd was destroying DLH.

Don Vito
05-06-2007, 05:20 PM

Honestly I thought I saw it on the ESPN bottom line this morning. Iknow boxers say it often but I thought it was an official retirement.

http://cleveland.aolsportsblog.com/2007/05/06/could-ufc-be-next-for-floyd-mayweather-jr/

High Roller
05-06-2007, 05:54 PM
Mayweather hasn't proven **** to be one of the best boxers ever. He's not in that upper tier of boxers as of yet, imo.

the Laos
05-06-2007, 06:54 PM
Mayweather hasn't proven **** to be one of the best boxers ever. He's not in that upper tier of boxers as of yet, imo.

you can't deny he's one of the best ever, he's already proven that. what he needs to do is keep fighting, beating the best, and maybe one day he'll be mentioned in the same breath as sugar ray robinson, in mine and many others opinions as the greatest of all time.

YAYareaRB
05-06-2007, 08:41 PM

Disgruntled De La Hoya fan much?

remix 6
05-06-2007, 08:48 PM

expect beat De La Hoya.

38-0

quick as a cat on fire

bored of education
05-06-2007, 09:48 PM
flolyd proved why he is the greatest boxer i ever personally seen. artwork. 8-4, FMJ!

bored of education
05-06-2007, 09:52 PM
beating De la Hoya, Gatti, Judah, Baldomir, Jose Luis castillo 2 times, diego corrales, demarcus corley, phillip n'dou, jesus chavez 2 times, emanuel burton, angel manfreddy, tony pep, hector arroyo, carlos hernandez are a bunch of nobodies.

de la hoya barely deserved to be in the ring with him.

Phrost
05-06-2007, 10:02 PM

Me and you are in the minority.

YAYareaRB
05-06-2007, 10:14 PM
Me and you are in the minority.

Both of you are CRAZY!

RyanLeaf#1
05-07-2007, 08:46 AM
Somebody in work just asked me what song was 50 singing when Mayweather came out? I couldnt hear anything I was in a bar.

Rob S
05-07-2007, 10:23 AM
No intelligent boxing fan considers Mayweather one of the greatest of all time.......sorry, but it is a fact. Hid body of work just is not there yet...

Rob S
05-07-2007, 10:27 AM
FMJ will not retire, no chance imo.

bored of education
05-07-2007, 10:42 AM
He is one of the greatest boxers of ourera for sure. When he goes out and beats hatton, SugarShane, Margarito and cotto then retire he will be well worthy of being one of the greatest.

SugarSean
05-07-2007, 03:05 PM
No intelligent boxing fan considers Mayweather one of the greatest of all time.......sorry, but it is a fact. Hid body of work just is not there yet...

I'm an extremely intelligent boxing fan and I KNOW Floyd is one of one of the greatest of all time. You have to understand that it's easy to judge people of past eras, while it's much harder to appreciate fighters that are STILL fighting. Floyd has it all. If you know boxing, then you know he has it all. Sure, he lacks pop at 154, but that's not his natural weight. He weighed 148 on the night of the fight for cryin out loud. He doesn't duck anybody as uneducated fans would lead you to believe. He HELD OFF on a Margarito fight, until he made sure that we wasn't gonna be able to get a fight at the LINEAR champ of a HIGHER weight class. When that fell through, he fought THE CHAMPION of the welterweight class. Baldomir gave him his shot at the welterweight championship (not title, the CHAMPIONSHIP) for MORE money than he got offered from Arum. That's a no brainer. Who would fight a title holder for less, whe you can fight the champ for more. People are drinkin the Arum kool-aid when says that everybody's duckin Antonio Margarito. He's a Bob Arum fighter, his job to hype him up. It's the SAME exact **** he said about Floyd when he was under contract. Isn't it kinda suspicious that EVERY Bob Arum fighter is the best in the world and the most feared. And isn't it kinda suspicious that GBP offered Margarito a career high purse of 1.75 mil to fight Winky Wright at Junior Middleweight, but Arum made the statement that Tony's not a Jr. Middeweight, he's a welterweight. Wait a minute, didn't he fight Daniel Santos at Jr. Middleweight before? Of course, he did. Enough on him. Some people are even ridiculous enough to say that Floyd ducked RICKY HATTON. When approached about a potential Mayweather fight, Hatton's OWN FATHER said that Ricky wasn't ready for Floyd. I believe the exact quote was "maybe next fall". What more do you want from Floyd, he agreed to a fight with THE JUNIOR MIDDLEWEIGHT CHAMPION of the world, Cory Spinks. Nobody gave him respect, because they said he was ducking the real challenges at Welterweight. So he abandons the Spinks fight to fight the Welterweight champ. He beats him and makes him look average at best. Still no respect, despite the fact that most people were saying that Baldomir would beat him because he was so much bigger and stronger. Just like they said about Oscar. If you ACTUALLY watch Floyd's fights instead of listening to what they say on maxboxing.com, then you'll KNOW that Floyd is boxing at its finest. Not even Oscar was stronger than Floyd in the ring. Oscar landed several clean punches and Floyd never got hurt. Not even once. Shots to the body? No effect on Floyd. Floyd is not going to get out muscled by Miguel Cotto. He has Cotto beat in every category, including strength. Cotto is gonna be easy work for Floyd. Ricky Hatton's stamina is not gonna be too much for Floyd. Ricky Hatton doesn't have better stamina than Floyd. Hatton is just garbage, at least Cotto and Margarito are GOOD. Hatton is trash. Floyd is gonna go over to GB and absolutely WORK Hatton in front of a 100% British crowd. He'll probably even wear trunks that have the British flag on them. And just like every other time Floyd beats someone and makes it look too easy, everybody's gonna go back and Hatton or Cotto or Margarito's a joke. He only took the fight because he's ducking real challenges like....get my point?

You can't fully appreciate a fighter while he's STILL fighting. I know he says he's retiring and he is....until his next fight. Just like Brett Favre retires every season...until the next season. Just like Roger Clemens. And Bernard Hopkins and Evander Holyfield. Comparisons to Roy Jones Jr. are absurd. Roy and Floy are nothing at all alike exept for the fact that they're black boxers. Floyd has an all-time great defense. Did you watch the fight on Saturday? Floyd is DEFINITELY in the top 5 of all time when it comes to defense. Not only does he make you miss, but he stand right in front of you. It's effective and productive on so many levels. He doesn't rely on athletism like Roy to avoid punches. He's not gonna get exposed like Roy did as soon as he loses a step. None of Floyd's best attributes have anything to do with his physical skills. The best things about Floyd are how he NEVER gets rattled after he gets rocked and how he never loses focus. He never lays it down either. NOBODY FROM 154 down can or will beat him. He has excellent hand speed, but not the best. Zab is faster. He's got good pop, but Oscar and a whole bunch of people have more. Zab has more at 147, too. He's not the best athlete either. But nobody from 154 down can match Floyd's chin, stamina, ring smarts, or intangible qualities. Nobody. Floyd haters biggest problems is that they usually tend to watch half of his fights. The second half of the fight, they're too busy talkin about how his opponent is a bum and how Floyd should be really fighting (insert name of unproven, media-hyped title holder) to fully appreciate his brilliance. No educated boxing fan thinks Floyd is an all-time great? Are you kidding? Greg Leon's not an educated boxing fan? Max Kellerman's not an educated boxing fan? The late Eddie Futch wasn't an educated boxing fan? The only people that DO NOT consider Floyd an all-time great either work at maxboxing.com or are bitter because he doesn't have enough "Gatti" in them for their tastes or are boxing traditionalists that don't give anybody since credit that didn't fight in in the "good ole days" of the sport OR just don't like him because of his attitude. Floyd was THE CHAMPION at 130 and 135, unquestioned. The champ at 140 doesn't want to fight him. He was the champ at 147 and he signed on to fight the champ at 154, but backed out to fight the champ at 147 because people were gonna boycott the Mayweather/ Spinks fight. Even Dan Rafael said he wouldn't watch it. Does Floyd hand-pick his opponents? Of course, he hand-picks the CHAMPIONS of each divison that he's ever fought in. Not the TITLEHOLDERS, the CHAMPIONS. Floyd is a 5 division titleholder (would be 5 division champion is it weren't for the Hatton and Spinks stuff) at the age of 30. He's not slowing down and I really feel that he's gonna move up even more in weight to challenge Jermain Taylor one day, even though his body can't handle adding anymore weight. Floyd is UNDOUBTEDLY an all-time great. Learn more about the sport. Now if you'r arguing about if Floyd's body of work is good enough to be the best ever, then that's another story. But he is an all-time great and he's no where near done yet.

bored of education
05-07-2007, 03:22 PM
Thank you for that. And with the FMJ is the greatest fighter of our era. He puts on spectacles. Unreal.

Margarito v. Williams
Kid Diamond v. Jose Leonardo Cruz

I'd like to see how Spinks does v. Taylor. I don't think he has a chance.

SugarSean
05-07-2007, 04:59 PM
Dude, his POPULARITY is gonna be defined by idiots like you. Not his LEGACY. If you like spectacle, why would you even watch boxing or any sport for that matter. Go watch wrestling or go to the circus if you care about spectacle. I take it that you're the type that would rather watch Arturo Gatti fight another bum on Wednesnay night fights then see two champions square off who actually have a little thing called DEFENSE. It'd also be safe to assume that you're the type that would prefer to watch Texas Tech play Hawaii over watchin the Super Bowl because it's more excitin. Wait, a minute. I forgot....you're a fan of spectacle, so you were probably a bigger fan of the XFL.

bored of education
05-07-2007, 05:48 PM
Spectacle wasn't a bad thing dude. He put on performances worthy of exhibitions at the Smithsonian. He is an artist in his style, the defense is fantastic, his ability to connect at such alarming percentages is unreal.

thats what i meant by spectacle.

2. a public show or display, esp. on a large scale: The coronation was a lavish spectacle.

I didn't use it in the other defition the 8th entry in dictionary.com's defintion sorry.

I think he is legendary in everyway and the greastest boxer, tactition I ever seen.

SugarSean
05-07-2007, 05:55 PM
I apologize. Comments like the one I made are the reason most people don't like message boards. I get a lil defensive over boxing, because most people don't take the time to fully understand the sport. They expect street fights and it pisses me off. I'm not just a Floyd nuthugger tho, I'll write the same **** to people that say that Oscar's no good or just a pretty boy. Much respect for knowing somethin about the game.

When you talk about spectacle, most people would think of it as something exhibited to view as unusual, notable, or entertaining; especially : an eye-catching or dramatic public display (as stated in Merriam-Webster's. Definitely not dictionary.com, definitely not the 8th definition either.) Boxing is far from spectacle. This is why I likened it to a circus and wrestling.

bored of education
05-07-2007, 05:56 PM
Its alright, sometimes the context of a word can throw someone off like that.

Billingsley26
05-07-2007, 06:34 PM
SugarSean, you are the man. Thats what I am saying. I liked the fight, and I have respect for Floyd because of how he faught. So many people I talk to about the fight say it sucked because no one got KO or that neither of them took a real beating. You hit the nail on the head. I thought it was a great fight. Foyd's defense was awesome, especaiily all those times DLh had him on the ropes, and Floyd blocked like 90% of those shots. Great post.

Billingsley26
05-08-2007, 08:33 PM
With characteristic modesty, Floyd Mayweather proclaimed his performance against Oscar De La Hoya to be "a masterpiece of boxing." It may have been that. As I wasn't in attendance, I'll defer to the ringside media who seem to agree that the fight lived up to its hype.

But a demonstration of technical prowess does not necessarily make for good television — certainly not at $54.95. As it happened, I scored the fight like judge Tom Kaczmarek — seven rounds to five for De La Hoya. But that's not why I feel cheated. Rather, my regret is only that Mayweather's masterpiece failed to entertain. It was a bore.

"If Oscar hadn't pressed the action, there wouldn't have even been a fight," says Bas Rutten, a former Ultimate Fighting Championship heavyweight titleholder who, like me, counts himself a big boxing fan.

In many ways, the boxing business deemed Rutten and his ilk to be the real opponent here. This was supposed to be the fight to finally beat back the mixed martial arts menace. In fact, it made a persuasive case (much to my dismay) for boxing's obsolescence.

I'm 44; Bas is 42. If old guys like us thought the fight was lacking, then what of that most prized demographic, the 18 to 34-year-old male? What of a generation raised on a steady diet of Wrestlemania, Xbox, SportsCenter, Kung Fu flicks, graphic novels and porn?

If nothing else, these laddies demand visual gratification. These are the guys who made 300 a huge hit. They could not have been much impressed with Mayweather's tactical triumph. They don't like endings subject to interpretation. They want their dramas resolved. They want a little blood and guts. At $54.95, that shouldn't be too much to ask.

More than a decade has passed since Senator John McCain famously derided the UFC as "human cockfighting." Now the boxing business seeks to portray mixed martial arts fighters as crude, unskilled sadists. It's a curious position for an industry that had been so eager to pimp out Mike Tyson. Sure, there's a difference between the boxer who slips and sticks and the MMA guy straddling an opponent while pummeling him into submission. The level of violence has been amped up.

Though technical and tactical, De La Hoya-Mayweather lacked the clean, hard punching that fight fans were hoping to see. (Kevork Djansezian / Associated Press)

Still, neither McCain nor the boxing lobby has prevented mixed martial arts from taking its place in the firmament of popular culture. Out in Los Angeles — where Sunset Boulevard is studded with billboards announcing the latest UFC pay per view — UFC champion Chuck Lidell is a big enough celebrity to play himself on Entourage. By comparison, Wladimir Klitschko — the best known of the four current heavyweight champions — was recently mistaken for one of Rocky Balboa's opponents during an appearance at the New York Golden Gloves.

"Boxing is scared of us," says Rutten, now coaching the Los Angeles Anacondas of the International Fight League. The IFL (I'm obliged to mention it's bankrolled by the same people who paid for this column) is among the many MMA ventures you can see on TV every night. It's a team competition matching fighters representing 12 cities, from Tokyo to New York.

"Remember the movie Rollerball?" says Bas, referring to the 1975 epic starring James Caan and John Houseman. "It's kind of like that."

Maybe that's where this is all headed, real life Rollerball. Rutten should know. His Hollywood gym, Legends, is an epicenter of the mixed martial arts scene. The place is packed. There are doctors and lawyers and the requisite celebs. But most of the guys (and some girls) are just there to be fighters. It's a new twist on an old story.

"They want to be discovered," says Rutten.

They are not without skill or virtue. After all, they're willing to bleed, which is more than can be said for Floyd Mayweather.

This was written by a guy who is a boxing columnist, who said the fight was boring and uneventful. This guy also claims to be a "Big boxing fan". What a joke. This guy isnt a boxing fan. Get real.

Rob S
05-08-2007, 08:54 PM
That was a good read man, but please paragraph. Listen, there is no denying floyd has the TALENT to be a great, but his quality of opposition is not there yet. By all time great I am assuming we mean top 20, he is not there yet, he is barely top 50.

Billingsley26
05-08-2007, 09:09 PM
That was a good read man, but please paragraph. Listen, there is no denying floyd has the TALENT to be a great, but his quality of opposition is not there yet. By all time great I am assuming we mean top 20, he is not there yet, he is barely top 50.

I thought it was an allright read. I agreed with what he said about today's audience, but he had no idea on what a GOOD fight is. That to me was a GREAT fight. He said it was uneventful and boring! Im not gonna waste your time, because SugarSean said it above, but he doesnt know what a good fight is.

Both guys knew each other better than they knew themselves, they knew when each guy was going to do what they did. Their defenses were great. That to me is what made such a great fight. The training they put into it was amazing to say the least. Both guys did a hell of a job, and that to me was a great fight.

I loved SugarSean's comparison with the Hawaii-Texas Tech game or Arturro Gatti vs some slug. Great job.

Rob S
05-08-2007, 09:14 PM
It was a great fight if u are a boxer or know the sport very well, however, the major point of this fight was to excite casual fans about the sport. It may have done that, but I am not so sure. Regardless, I liked it.

Billingsley26
05-08-2007, 09:51 PM
It was a great fight if u are a boxer or know the sport very well, however, the major point of this fight was to excite casual fans about the sport. It may have done that, but I am not so sure. Regardless, I liked it.

I understand what you are saying, and its true. However, I just dont like it when people who think they know boxing come on here and try talking about it.

I know the fight was supposed to garner more interest and gain fans, but I never thought that would happen. People these days aren't likely to change their ways. People who have grown to watch football, hockey, basketball, soccer etc, wont change because of one fight. Regardless of how good it is. People are just casual sports fan (even if you want to call it that). Take this, I for one only watch soccer at the world up, and regardless how good it is, i wont watch it any other time. Many people only watch the Superbowl, yet have no idea or background on the teams in the SuperBowl. You understand my point? People wont change. As much as that fight was intended to gain interest from the public, it was a fight that was for REAL Boxing fans. Only the real ones understand how great of a fight it was. All other "fans", if you will, say it sucked, didnt live up to the hype! It didnt live up to the hype because they were all expecting Floyd to knock out Oscar which isnt Floyd's game. Which they didnt know that. Boxing is no different that any other sport. It has it sincere followers, and it has its night fans (thats what I call the fans who catch the "big night" of any sporting event.). The sport will be stable for the time being.

SugarSean
05-08-2007, 10:44 PM
I understand what you are saying, and its true. However, I just dont like it when people who think they know boxing come on here and try talking about it.

I know the fight was supposed to garner more interest and gain fans, but I never thought that would happen. People these days aren't likely to change their ways. People who have grown to watch football, hockey, basketball, soccer etc, wont change because of one fight. Regardless of how good it is. People are just casual sports fan (even if you want to call it that). Take this, I for one only watch soccer at the world up, and regardless how good it is, i wont watch it any other time. Many people only watch the Superbowl, yet have no idea or background on the teams in the SuperBowl. You understand my point? People wont change. As much as that fight was intended to gain interest from the public, it was a fight that was for REAL Boxing fans. Only the real ones understand how great of a fight it was. All other "fans", if you will, say it sucked, didnt live up to the hype! It didnt live up to the hype because they were all expecting Floyd to knock out Oscar which isnt Floyd's game. Which they didnt know that. Boxing is no different that any other sport. It has it sincere followers, and it has its night fans (thats what I call the fans who catch the "big night" of any sporting event.). The sport will be stable for the time being.

I agree. I really don't know why people were expecting. Sure, Floyd SAID he was gonna knock him out, but what fighter doesn't say hes gonna win the fight by knockout beforehand. Everybody knew Floyd didn't have much KO power at 147, what did they expect with him movin up to 154? Matter of fact, he didn't knock out a glassed-jawed Zab Judah, who was actually dumb enough to expect him to knock out Oscar de la Hoya, whose only been stopped once in his whole career. Oscar's popularity is the reason it was a megafight, not because it was supposed to be some slugfest for the ages. Come on, people, it wasn't Tyson vs Foreman. I don't expect to see someone go in the ring and get sloppy. I don't want to see someone go in there and just swing for the fences, while his opponent is doing the same thing. I paid to watch two of the best in the world do **** that I can't do. ANYBODY can put on a good show by dishing/taking punishment without displaying any type of skill. I thoroughly enjoyed the fight, although it woulda make for much better drama if Oscar coulda hurt Floyd with one one of those straight rights he hit him with a few times. But he couldn't. It was Oscar's job to provide the knockout, but he couldn't hurt Floyd. Floyd went against the ropes in every single round, but Oscar couldn't land. I don't feel like I woulda got more of my money's worth if Floyd woulda purposely let Oscar hit him with a big looping punch that he saw coming from a mile away. Floyd's jus a little man that keeps goin up in weight lookin for more of a challenge.

Now as far as his resume and quality of opposition goes, I addressed that in my really long post earlier. Floyd has fought in 5 weight classes. In all 5 weight classes he has either fought and beaten the champion or attempted to fight the champion. When Ricky Hatton is ready, he will fight him to get another championship. Antonio Margarito is not a champion, he's a titleholder. So is Miguel Cotto. Paul Williams is neither. Beating Oscar did more for Floyd's legacy than beating any one of these guys. I think the next logical choice is for him to fight Shane Moseley. Although he is not the champ at 147, he is a guaranteed hall-of-famer. Floyd is trying to become the best fighter ever and beating Williams or Cotto or Margarito is not going to help that. None of those guys have accomplished enough to consider a victory over them an accomplishment for Floyd. Cotto is gonna fight the winner of Margarito-Williams. If Cotto beats Zab and then Margarito or Williams, then he will actually add something to the table. But until then, beating none of these guys can make Floyd the best ever. Beating the Junior Middleweight champ (right now its Spinks) will help Floyd's quest to become the best ever. Then, moving up to face the middleweight champ in a few years and so on. He's not moving up in weight to run from real challenges, because neither Margarito nor Williams nor Cotto can even beat Oscar. He's moving up in weight to try to make history.

Now if Floyd doesn't do the things I am saying, like if he goes up to middleweight to fight a fluff titleholder then I'll be the first one to call him out on him. And if he moves back down to welterweight, but doesn't fight Mosely or the Williams/Margarito/Cotto/Judah winner, I'll do the same. But you can't deny that he's either fought the best or attempted to fight the best in each weight class he's ever appeared in. That's a fact.

bored of education
05-08-2007, 10:57 PM
Sugar, would it be out of this world to think Mayweather would put on about 4-5 more lbs take on someone like Kassim Ouma or Felix Strum then take on Taylor?

or would it be better to go straight to Taylor?

SugarSean
05-09-2007, 02:05 AM
Sugar, would it be out of this world to think Mayweather would put on about 4-5 more lbs take on someone like Kassim Ouma or Felix Strum then take on Taylor?

or would it be better to go straight to Taylor?

Not exactly, because he would be torched by the media if he fought Sturm, even though he's got a title. He would be torched for outboxing Ouma instead of knocking him out even though Jermain or nobody else did. I honestly think he would go from fighting De la Hoya straight to fighting Jermain. EVERYBODY wants a piece of Jermain, because his skills are pretty limited. If Jermain beats Spinks, which isn't a given, I think he would face either the winner of Miranda/Pavlik or Calzaghe and if he somehow is still the man at Middleweight, I think Floyd would try to fight him around this time next year. I think Floyd wants to milk this retirement thing for about a year until people start to appreciate him. But then again, I don't know if Jermain would still be able to make 160 for three more fights. I hope Floyd isn't thinkin about fightin Taylor like we are, because I think it would end up with him wasting a year of his boxing career chasing something that isn't possible because Taylor is just too big for 160.

But I think Floyd is very smart and he realizes that the best weight for him to be able to dominate and have KO power and have good competition is 147. But he also realizes that anybody he beats will be called a fraud by everyone. They'll all say, we knew Shane was too old or we knew Cotto had a glass jaw or we knew Margarito was too limited/technically flawed. I think he wants to sit back and let them duke it out and expose each other until one emerges as a superstar. Then he'll come out of "retirement" and take the fight without a tune-up.

Rob S
05-09-2007, 08:39 AM
Mayweather should not go up in weight again, he doesnt belong even at 154. He should go back to his best weight, 147, and actually dominate the weight class before leaving, like other all time greats did. There are a ton of big fights at 47, there is no reason at all for him to move up. And if he fights JT, FMJ will most likely lose and probably get KTFO. FMJ would probably weigh about 155 the night of the fight. JT, being a enormous MW, would probably be around 170-75. Given that JT also has great skills (including a great jab, which will be used more with Steward as his trainer), and will own him reach wise. I cant see Floyd wining, plus that fight doesnt make sense revenue wise. If he goes to 47, fights with Sugar Shane and Cotto(provided he beats Judah) are both bigger than a JT fight. You may argue with me about Cotto, but I would say their name value is similar right now. Also, if you have seen a recent Cotto fight, he become a fighter u want to like, an exciting guy u want to like. JT, if you watch his recent fight, comes across as a bore for the most part (with the exception of the Winky fight). Regardless, a fight with Shane is easily the biggest to be made outside of a rematch with DLH.

bored of education
05-09-2007, 08:47 AM
Yeah, taylor is large for a MW. I agree FMJ is best at 147, seeing him smoke the comp at that weight would be fun to watch and be able to apprecaite FMJ's skill set. Fighting Sugar Shane would be a good fight, I still think FMJ would make him look silly.

Rob S
05-09-2007, 08:54 AM
I am in the minority in this, and maybe its my homerism, but I see both Cotto and Shane giving him good fights. Shane's speed and Cotto's body punching are both elements I think can be very effective against FMJ, I would love to see both fights. FMJ is still the favorite, but if Cotto landed the shots DLH landed to Floyd's body, FMJ would have went down, or would have been slowed down quite a bit.

Billingsley26
05-09-2007, 10:52 AM
I am in the minority in this, and maybe its my homerism, but I see both Cotto and Shane giving him good fights. Shane's speed and Cotto's body punching are both elements I think can be very effective against FMJ, I would love to see both fights. FMJ is still the favorite, but if Cotto landed the shots DLH landed to Floyd's body, FMJ would have went down, or would have been slowed down quite a bit.

No, im with you. I think alot of people are underestimating Miguel Cotto. Im hearing people say that his chin is to weak, hes to slow etc. You name I heard it. Personally its a pile a BS! At the end of the day one thing to look at. Cotto 28 wins, 0 losses. That should say alot right there. I would love to see him take on Floyd, once he gets rid of Judah.

SugarSean
05-09-2007, 12:42 PM
Mayweather should not go up in weight again, he doesnt belong even at 154. He should go back to his best weight, 147, and actually dominate the weight class before leaving, like other all time greats did. There are a ton of big fights at 47, there is no reason at all for him to move up. And if he fights JT, FMJ will most likely lose and probably get KTFO. FMJ would probably weigh about 155 the night of the fight. JT, being a enormous MW, would probably be around 170-75. Given that JT also has great skills (including a great jab, which will be used more with Steward as his trainer), and will own him reach wise. I cant see Floyd wining, plus that fight doesnt make sense revenue wise. If he goes to 47, fights with Sugar Shane and Cotto(provided he beats Judah) are both bigger than a JT fight. You may argue with me about Cotto, but I would say their name value is similar right now. Also, if you have seen a recent Cotto fight, he become a fighter u want to like, an exciting guy u want to like. JT, if you watch his recent fight, comes across as a bore for the most part (with the exception of the Winky fight). Regardless, a fight with Shane is easily the biggest to be made outside of a rematch with DLH.

I agree that he shouldn't move up in weight again and I agree that fighting Shane would be the best fight right now, but we kinda disagree on the Cotto situation. Beating a guy whose biggest victory to date is Carlos Quitana is not really gonna do much for Floyd. If he beats Zab AND the Margarito/Williams winner (which I believe he's already obligated to fight) then Cotto will be a much better fight. I think Cotto's alright, but what if he loses to Zab? What if the Margarito/Williams winner loses to Zab? What if all three turn out to be overprotected frauds? The bottom line is that all three are unproven right now and all they have to prove themselves. I don't understand why Floyd has to beat all three of them to get some peoples respect when NOBODY has even seen any of them face ANY quality opponents. Shane makes the most sense right now at 147 and Jermain Taylor somehow has regressed since gettin Manny as his trainer. Yeah, he has a good jab, but he is easily beatable. I think Winky will dominate him if they ever have a rematch.

I understand that Cotto is 28-0, but you have to admit that those 28 wins haven't come against the greatest of competition. There is a CHANCE (I don't know if it's probable, but it's at least possible) that Cotto will not be able to hang with the elite fighters. You should have to at least beaten one quality opponent before you get a shot at the #1 pfp. Zab is a step in the right direction. I don't think you have to beat every single tough fighter to be great, you just have to beat the best ones. Cotto's good, but he's not great. He does great work to the body, but he gets hit WAAAYYYY too easily to be able to hang with Floyd or even Shane. You have to compare Cotto to Floyd to make an accurate projection on how a fight between them would be. You don't look at how he beat Oktay Urkal and say that he'd do the same thing to Floyd. He couldn't even knock out Paulie Malignaggi for cryin out loud. His power wouldn't hurt Floyd and I don't really think that his body shots would be much of a factor because Oscar's body shots had no effect on Floyd at all. And if he did get hurt to the body, he would just adapt after a few rounds and take it away from Cotto.

I don't think Floyd is Superman or anything, but I really don't see anybody at 147 beating him. And beating unproven fighters is not gonna do anything for Floyd at this time in his career. I think when you establish yourself the recognized champion of a division, you move on to more challenges in other divisions. I don't like people like Joe Calzaghe. There's no reason to stay at one weight your whole career. Once you become the man, you defend your title a couple of times if you want, then you move up or down to find more challenges. Before Hopkins went up and beat Tarver, nobody considered him the best fighter of this generation. But since he moved up two weight classes to find REAL challenges, tons of respected people think he's the best fighter of the generation. This is just my opinion and I understand how some people would rather see someone make 10-12 title defenses, but 20 title defenses in one weight class (unless its heavyweight) isn't history, it's cowardice. Once you establish yourself as "the man", go fight the other guys that are considered "the man" not ABC titlists, up-and-comers, and journeymen.

SugarSean
05-09-2007, 02:50 PM
Holy ****, 2.15 million pay per view buys for De la Hoya/Mayweather. The most all-time. Next best was Holyfield/Tyson with 1.99.

Billingsley26
05-09-2007, 03:35 PM
I agree with you. Dont get me wrong, I would love to see Cotto fight Floyd. And I think that Miguel could surprise some people if they fought. Your right about FLoyd tho. Reitiring wouldn't be out of the question. He has beaten everyone worthy of fighting for the title, and honestly I would rather have Floyd retire then beat a bunch of scrubs. Beating those scrubs wont even help him in his quest to be a great.

The other thing that's really getting to me, are all these people other than myself, SugarSean, Rob S and BoredofEducation, keep saying how much the fight sucked. These people think they know boxing, and call themselves fans yet they seem to not understand Floyd's strategy to fight and how he wins his fights. Unbelieveable. Floyd doesnt fight by throwing 150 punches in a round, and busting a guys face open. People are also saying that this fight was supposed to garner more interest, but honestly, first and foremost, this fight was Oscar vs Floyd! Nothing more, nothing less. Each did what they had to do to win, and we saw who came out on top. I cant belive that people are saying this. Heres one of the links again. http://msn.foxsports.com/boxing/story/6785912

One last thing. Did anyone notice other than me, how the HBO commentary seemed to really boost Floyd Mayweather. People I talk to were going on saying how Floyd dominated the fight, and took 8-9 rounds. NO WAY! I saw Oscar take the first 4-5 rounds, then Floyd take the next few. Several times watching the fight I had said if Lederman doesn't score this round dor Oscar Im walking home. I could'nt beleive it. That is what people are bassing what they think off of. What Lederman says. Which I think was WAY off!

SugarSean
05-09-2007, 05:01 PM
I think Oscar decisively won about 3 rounds and Floyd decisively won about 5. The other four could've went either way, but I thought Floyd won. It wasn't domination, but nobody dominates Oscar. Not even Hopkins, who admitted himself that he was losing the fight before the knockout. Now he should fight Shane in another tactical battle that has historical implecations or go over to Britain and maul Hatton at 140. That fight would go the way casual fans thought the De la Hoya fight was supposed to go. Hatton will be extremely bloody, his face would look like it got hit with a truck and he wouldn't last all 12. Hatton is who Floyd needs to fight to get the respect of the casual, bloodthirsty fan.

ripdw27
05-09-2007, 05:43 PM
i thought de la hoya would win, even though mayweather is still undefeated.. i dint buy the fight im so pissed thats probly the only fight worth ordering in my lifetime lol

Rob S
05-09-2007, 05:56 PM
Cotto having a low level of competition is BS. He lacks elite competition,yes, but I dare u to find me a prospect who has had a tougher road than Cotto, every guy he fought was solid, many top prospects fight bums until they get a huge fight. Cotto just lacks an elite win, he has more wins over good fighters than a ton of other people. Before all of Cotto's fights people always say he is going to lose because of his perceived flaws, but they are ALWAYS wrong. Every guy seems to have the perfect style for Cotto, but he seems to beat them all, dont doubt Cotto.

Billingsley26
05-09-2007, 06:01 PM
I think Oscar decisively won about 3 rounds and Floyd decisively won about 5. The other four could've went either way, but I thought Floyd won. It wasn't domination, but nobody dominates Oscar. Not even Hopkins, who admitted himself that he was losing the fight before the knockout. Now he should fight Shane in another tactical battle that has historical implecations or go over to Britain and maul Hatton at 140. That fight would go the way casual fans thought the De la Hoya fight was supposed to go. Hatton will be extremely bloody, his face would look like it got hit with a truck and he wouldn't last all 12. Hatton is who Floyd needs to fight to get the respect of the casual, bloodthirsty fan.

EXACTLY! That is what they want to see. They respect the sport much more if they saw that, yet a very good, technically, solid fight between Floyd and Oscar loses interest in fans. Unbelieveable.

Rob S
05-09-2007, 06:18 PM
And if Cotto doesnt deserve a shot at FMJ, why in the hell did he take fights with people like Sharmba Mitchell and Henry Bruselles?

SugarSean
05-09-2007, 06:36 PM
Cotto having a low level of competition is BS. He lacks elite competition,yes, but I dare u to find me a prospect who has had a tougher road than Cotto, every guy he fought was solid, many top prospects fight bums until they get a huge fight. Cotto just lacks an elite win, he has more wins over good fighters than a ton of other people. Before all of Cotto's fights people always say he is going to lose because of his perceived flaws, but they are ALWAYS wrong. Every guy seems to have the perfect style for Cotto, but he seems to beat them all, dont doubt Cotto.

I don't think Cotto has a low level of competition but he's not on a championship level yet. He's not there yet. Cotto fighting Floyd with only having his toughest fights be against Urkal and Quintana woulda been throwin him to the wolves. Let him fight Zab and Williams/Margarito and maybe one other good fighter, then he'll be ready for the championship level. He'll have more than solid wins under his belt and he'll emerge on pfp lists. There is such thing as a championship level and at title level. Cotto is on a title level. He's never had a championship. He is not ready for Floyd or Oscar or Shane or anybody of that level yet. He still has to prove himself, nobody gets anything handed to them. Floyd always wanted Oscar and Shane, but he had to work for his shot. Same goes for Cotto. He's still young, give him some time. Cotto's been a different fighter since moving up to 147, I understand that, but he still has to work to get his shot at the superstars of the sport. I like Cotto, dude, but he's not ready for Floyd.

[/QUOTE]Before all of Cotto's fights people always say he is going to lose because of his perceived flaws, but they are ALWAYS wrong. Every guy seems to have the perfect style for Cotto, but he seems to beat them all, dont doubt Cotto.[/QUOTE]

Yes, Floyd has the style to beat him. Floyd is not every guy. He's the best. I personally think Cotto can beat Margarito and Williams, BUT I don't think he can beat Zab. If Zab is motivated he's gonna work Cotto. But I think it's gonna be a badass fight. I can't wait for it. Nobody thinks Cotto is garbage and MAYBE he is ready for the elites, but he has to earn his shot even if he is already ready. Steppin up his level of competition like he's doin is only gonna help him. He's only 26, by this time next year he'll be in training for one of the elites...if he keeps winning.

Rob S
05-09-2007, 06:45 PM
Cotto may not be ready, but he certainly is better prepared for Floyd than guys like Gatti, Bruselles, Mitchell and many others. And Cotto already is in most people's top 20. He has done more than enough to get a shot at FMJ imo. Not that I believe he would win, but he is deserving. Also, there is no way Urkal is his 2nd best win, Malignaggi, Corley, N'Duo are all better and there are others too.

bored of education
05-09-2007, 07:03 PM
Lets just see how he does against Judah.

SugarSean
05-09-2007, 07:10 PM
And if Cotto doesnt deserve a shot at FMJ, why in the hell did he take fights with people like Sharmba Mitchell and Henry Bruselles?

Dude, he fought them because you do have to stay active. They didn't deserve their shots, but Floyd wasn't in the same position he was in now. Back then, he hadn't beaten De la Hoya. Back then, he hadn't won the welterweight championship. Back then he wasn't 38-0. He's done more now, so of course the people that are vying to fight him have to do more as well. If Cotto turns out to be the man two years from now, you'll be hearing the same thing. What did Malignaggi do to deserve his shot? What about Urkal? What about Gianluca Branco? It doesn't work like that, once you are the man, the public won't let you take fights like those. Floyd can't fight a Bruseles or Mitchell right now. If he fights people like that now, then you can start calling him out on it, but everybody has a fight or two that they take just to stay active. Sometimes you have to look at the big picture and you don't take unnecessary risks. Andre Berto is not gonna fight Shane Mosley, because its an unnecessary risk. He took those fights to get to the position where he is now, because that's what everybody does. He's no different. Nobody fights megafight after megafight after megafight until you get to the top. He's there now, so if Cotto wins his next two fights then I'm sure he'll get his chance at Floyd. How exactly can you justify Miguel Cotto getting his chance over De la Hoya or Shane Mosley or even Cory Spinks (Jr. Middleweight Champion)? You can't.

Billingsley26
05-09-2007, 08:08 PM
I hear exactly where your coming from, and I hear where Rob S is coming from. I think there is no chance that if Cotto beats both Judah and Margarito/Williams hes doesnt get a shot at Floyd.

However, at the same time, many may see exactly what SugarSean said, saying that how can he jump right to the top when their are the likes of De La Hoya, Mosley and Spinks below him. Personally I would love to see Cotto take out both Judah and Margarito/Williams and fight Floyd. I think that could be a great fight, much better than what people may think. Cotto could surpirse some people.

Rob S
05-10-2007, 05:40 PM
Sean, how about Roy Jones? When he was the man essentially all he did was fight "stiffs".

Moses
05-10-2007, 05:46 PM
Sean, how about Roy Jones? When he was the man essentially all he did was fight "stiffs".

The problem with saying guys like Mayweather and Jones didn't beat elite competetion is that there simply wasn't elite competetion for them to fight. Nobody could really give either of these guys a run for their money.

Rob S
05-10-2007, 06:41 PM
The problem with saying guys like Mayweather and Jones didn't beat elite competetion is that there simply wasn't elite competetion for them to fight. Nobody could really give either of these guys a run for their money.

I am just merely attacking Sean's point that FMJ can no longer take fights with non elite fighters because he is "the man". RJJ was the man and he did take on easy opponents. After Shane, Cotto is probably the toughest fight for Mayweather at 147, I dont see the problem with them fighting......

SugarSean
05-10-2007, 06:54 PM
edit.........

NYmoney
05-10-2007, 06:59 PM
I am just merely attacking Sean's point that FMJ can no longer take fights with non elite fighters because he is "the man". RJJ was the man and he did take on easy opponents. After Shane, Cotto is probably the toughest fight for Mayweather at 147, I dont see the problem with them fighting......

Sugar Shane would be a much tougher fight at 147

SugarSean
05-10-2007, 07:03 PM

Yeah, Roy was the man, but look what everybody says about him for not fighting elite fighters. After Shane, I agree that Cotto may be the toughest fight for Floyd at 147, but why does he have to be confined to the 147 pound class? You have yet to give me ONE legit reason as to why Cotto deserves a shot at the #1 pfp fighter in the world over, De la Hoya (rematch), Cory Spinks, or Hatton, among other people. Again, Cotto is not going to get anything handed to him when other people have stronger cases for a fight. You brought up Bruseles and Mitchell, but that was 2005, this is 2007. He is not taking fights like that anymore. Give me ONE good reason why Miguel Cotto deserves his shot over the elites (champions and hall-of-famers). Why, because he's undefeated? Well guess what, so is Ricky Hatton AND Ricky Hatton is a bigger draw AND he's actually a champion.

Rob S
05-12-2007, 01:27 AM
Yeah, Roy was the man, but look what everybody says about him for not fighting elite fighters. After Shane, I agree that Cotto may be the toughest fight for Floyd at 147, but why does he have to be confined to the 147 pound class? You have yet to give me ONE legit reason as to why Cotto deserves a shot at the #1 pfp fighter in the world over, De la Hoya (rematch), Cory Spinks, or Hatton, among other people. Again, Cotto is not going to get anything handed to him when other people have stronger cases for a fight. You brought up Bruseles and Mitchell, but that was 2005, this is 2007. He is not taking fights like that anymore. Give me ONE good reason why Miguel Cotto deserves his shot over the elites (champions and hall-of-famers). Why, because he's undefeated? Well guess what, so is Ricky Hatton AND Ricky Hatton is a bigger draw AND he's actually a champion.
Ricky Hatton is **** at 147 and u know that, come on. Ur a smart guy, u know the ONLY reason that a guy who balloons to 180 drops to 40 instead of 47 is bc he feels he cant compete at the higher weight. If FMJ would like to go back to 40, thats fine, thats a good fight. Spinks, please. Every respected boxing analyst, writer would tell u Cotto is better, u must be kidding. The DLH rematch should be the fight over Cotto, as should a Shane fight......I never said that they shouldnt happen before a Cotto fight.......

Also, just as a quick aside supporting my claim. Both Cotto and Mayweather fought Victoriano Sosa...Cotto obliterated him in 4, FMJ didnt stop him. Cotto also stopped Corley (yes it was a questionable stoppage and Cotto got rocked, but u could tell the fight was headed for a Cotto KO victory anyway) FMJ was rocked by Chop Chop too remember. Not that this means much, boxing math doesnt work, but it is interesting.

Rob S
05-12-2007, 01:28 AM
Sugar Shane would be a much tougher fight at 147

Hence why I said after shane.........u even quoted the post

kwilk103
05-12-2007, 02:47 AM
you think floyd is really retired, or do you think he will fight again if the money is there or a rematch with de la hoya?

SugarSean
05-12-2007, 06:05 AM
Ricky Hatton is **** at 147 and u know that, come on. Ur a smart guy, u know the ONLY reason that a guy who balloons to 180 drops to 40 instead of 47 is bc he feels he cant compete at the higher weight. If FMJ would like to go back to 40, thats fine, thats a good fight. Spinks, please. Every respected boxing analyst, writer would tell u Cotto is better, u must be kidding. The DLH rematch should be the fight over Cotto, as should a Shane fight......I never said that they shouldnt happen before a Cotto fight.......

Also, just as a quick aside supporting my claim. Both Cotto and Mayweather fought Victoriano Sosa...Cotto obliterated him in 4, FMJ didnt stop him. Cotto also stopped Corley (yes it was a questionable stoppage and Cotto got rocked, but u could tell the fight was headed for a Cotto KO victory anyway) FMJ was rocked by Chop Chop too remember. Not that this means much, boxing math doesnt work, but it is interesting.

I was talking about him fighting Hatton at 140. I believe Hatton wouldn't beat any of the top welterweights. Hatton doesn't BELIEVE he can't compete at 147, he KNOWS. Whether you like to admit it or not, Cory Spinks is the Jr. Middleweight Champion. Cotto is the champion of nothing. Also, Spinks has much bigger wins on his resume. I'm not making an argument as to who is the better fighter or who would win between Cotto and Spinks, what I'm saying is that Spinks has the better case for a big fight with Floyd. Do you honestly think that if Cotto or anyone was offered a fight at a catch-weight against Hatton (Jr. Welterweight champ), that would pass up on the chance to win a championship, which usually brings in more money, to fight a holder of a meaningless belt in a much more challenging fight. So you can take a fight that has more money and more historical implications or a take a fight that gives you a couple columnists respect and another meaningless title. Oh yeah, and less money AND its a tougher fight. Nobody in that situation would be ducking Cotto, they're just making an excellent career decision. You have to understand that as a fan, pretty much nothing matters to you other than makin the best fights. In reality, it's much more complex than that. If "the man" has yet to fight your favorite fighter, then he is automatically ducking them in their fans eyes. Shane, Spinks, Oscar, Hatton, Taylor, and even Margarito have better cases to get a fight with Floyd than Cotto. Now don't get me wrong, I would rather see Floyd fight Cotto over Margarito or Spinks anyday. But that's what I want to see, not what is best for the fighter in question. You can't confuse what you would like to see with what is actually best.

As for your second paragraph, how did Floyd fair against Sosa and Corley? You don't have to win by knockout to dominate your opponent. I definitely don't agree with boxing math, especially when neither fighter lost to the opponents you're talking about. But one number that does stick out to me is 67. That's Cotto's reach for anyone who doesn't know. Floyd is either the same height or one inch taller and his reach is 72. Cotto has too much stacked against him to be able to hang with Floyd, but I do believe he will deserve his shot if he is still undefeated by this time next year.

Now can we finally put this argument to rest, because a Floyd and Cotto fight is a year away minimum. This is way too much time spent on a fantasy match. How bout we take this to the boxing thread and talk about Cotto/Judah and the other upcoming fights that are actually happening soon.

SugarSean
05-13-2007, 06:27 PM
I just watched the fight for the fourth time and here are some random thoughts:

1) What did people expect to happen when two fighters square off that have never been knocked out before at 154 or below? On top that, neither cuts easily at all.

2) Oscar's left hook played no part in the outcome of the fight. His jab was his most effective punch, but he stopped throwing it and he knows why.

3) Oscar landed some flush right hands on Floyd, but they had no effect at all. Floyd's chin was tested on that night and he couldn't have handled it any better.

4) I understand that it was Floyd's first fight at 154 and he was fighting against a game legend with known punching power, but I still would've liked to see some type of killer instinct. In round 5 and 11, he hit Oscar at will and should've tried to stop him.

5) I've never seen a fighter of Oscar's calibre be as mentally frustrated as he was in the 11th round.

6) Oscar was supposed to be better offensively training with Roach, as Roach is known more as an offensive trainer and Mayweather Sr. is a defensive guru, but Oscar's defense looked amazing. It was far better than it ever was under Mayweather Sr.

7) It's no secret that Oscar was the more likeable fighter pre-fight, but after the fight, Floyd was the much classier fighter. Oscar came off as such a p***y. It just wasn't the night of the jab? What kind of bulls**t is that? And he kept saying stuff about how he surprised himself at this stage of his career. Again, that is complete and utter bulls**t. Dude, you're 34 and Floyd is 30. There are athletes that are 10 years older than De la Hoya that don't use their age as an excuse. Then he said that he wished that the whole fight would've been like the last 30 seconds of the 12th round. Who would honestly pay $60 to see two grown men flail at each other like little school girls. If that's the case, I'd rather save my $60 and watch my 12 year old brother fight some of his friends.

8) Larry Merchant is a disgrace to the sport. I support HBO's decision 100% to not extend his contract. He makes you want to watch the broadcasts on mute. Lampley and Steward do a great job of being unbiased. If you watch the fight again, take note of how Lampley and Steward praise Oscar when he actually lands punches, just like they did for Floyd. When Oscar got hit, they said it. When Floyd got hit, they said it. Larry has been working in the business for way too long to so biased and his analogies and metaphors are just awful. He talks soooo slowly and he sucks the life out of the broadcast.

9) Anybody that thinks Oscar is done and is an old past his prime fighter is out of their mind. Oscar was in the best shape of his life for that fight. He didn't, his jab was crisp, and his defense was the best I've ever seen it. I think that nobody that currently fighting at 154 or below can beat him (except Mayweather). That includes Shane. Although Shane won his last fight against Collazo, I thought he looked horrible. His handspeed is declining and he has no head movement at all. If they fought in the fall, Oscar would beat him at 154.

10) Although a rematch still probably wouldn't be the most exciting fight, I think it would still be good for the sport. If they announced a rematch for the fall, then that would mean about 9 or 10 consecutive months of boxing being in the spotlight again. Floyd and Oscar will never, ever have a fight that looks like Castillo-Corrales or Gatti-Ward, simply because they are better than them. They understand how to slip punches, faint, parry, use head movement, footwork, catch punches, etc. It's sad that you can show a room full of people De la Hoya/Mayweather and then follow it immediately with any Gatti/Ward fight and they will swear that Gatti AND Ward would destroy Floyd and Oscar.

Boxing is alive and well. I can't wait to X-Plosive.

kwilk103
05-13-2007, 06:44 PM
sean, you seem knowledgeable, so can you answer my question:

do you think floyd is really retired, or do you think he will fight again if the money is there or a rematch with de la hoya?

SugarSean
05-13-2007, 06:55 PM
He will be back. He'll be back in the fall for a rematch with De la Hoya or he'll wait until one of the contenders establishes themselves as a superstar. Maybe if Hatton beast Castillo, he'll fight Hatton early next year. The only reason he "retired" is because he wants to be appreciated more. He's a real sensitive dude. Almost feminine when it comes to stuff like that. I guarantee you he will be in attendance for the Hatton/Castillo fight and if Hatton wins, he'll challenge him at the post-fight. He already said that he is retired in America but that doesn't mean that he's retired everywhere else (alluding to a Hatton fight).

Billingsley26
05-14-2007, 12:23 AM
Sean, well said.

I aswell watched the fight for a nd time, and I could see several things. I feel I dont need to repeat many of the things you said, but theres no way to stop pointing out how OScar stopped using the jab. For the first 5 rounds or so, he held Floyd in tact, and kinda dictated the fight to that point. Watching it again, I really noticed how when Oscar had Floyd on the ropes, Floyd almost landed more punches that Oscar did. Floyd seemed really calm, and didnt panic, he waited for the right time and unloaded a few to Oscar's head. After Oscar stopped te jab, you could tell Floyd went back to his game. Punch and retreat. That had Oscar off big time. He kept throing punches at nothing. Floyd pretty much took it from there. I dont need to sayanything else, SugarSean pretty much said everything else.

SugarSean
05-14-2007, 01:24 AM
Oscar's jab wasn't only precise, it was powerful. I really think De la Hoya has a lot left in his tank. He just needs an attitude adjustment. I'd love to see him fight again, just not against Hatton. I really think he should fight Floyd again, because I saw some ways where Oscar could've made the fight a lot closer and even possibly won. But I also see some ways that Floyd should've been able to make the fight a lot more one-sided. I think both of them will see areas they can improve when they rewatch the fight. As long as they both train hard and are in-shape again, I would love to see a rematch. Both fighters see weaknesses in the other's game that they can exploit.

Billingsley, why do you think Oscar stopped throwin the jab? I don't believe him when he keeps sayin that it "just wasn't the night of the jab". Personally, I think that PBF was hurting him with body shots, but I'm really not sure. You can see Oscar wince a couple times, but that's not really an excuse for abandoning your best chance at winning the biggest fight of all-time.

bored of education
05-14-2007, 07:06 PM
I scored it, after this my 5th time watching:
PBF, ODH, PBF, ODH, ODH, PBF, ODH, PBF, PBF, PBF, PBF, PBF.

The last round was easily Floyds, I thik the 10th round two judges scored for ODH.

If he stuck with the JAB he would have won. The one or two little hits and precision of PBF through the fight was masterpiece. The body work esp. in the later rounds hurt ODH.

Billingsley26
05-15-2007, 10:04 AM
Oscar's jab wasn't only precise, it was powerful. I really think De la Hoya has a lot left in his tank. He just needs an attitude adjustment. I'd love to see him fight again, just not against Hatton. I really think he should fight Floyd again, because I saw some ways where Oscar could've made the fight a lot closer and even possibly won. But I also see some ways that Floyd should've been able to make the fight a lot more one-sided. I think both of them will see areas they can improve when they rewatch the fight. As long as they both train hard and are in-shape again, I would love to see a rematch. Both fighters see weaknesses in the other's game that they can exploit.

Billingsley, why do you think Oscar stopped throwin the jab? I don't believe him when he keeps sayin that it "just wasn't the night of the jab". Personally, I think that PBF was hurting him with body shots, but I'm really not sure. You can see Oscar wince a couple times, but that's not really an excuse for abandoning your best chance at winning the biggest fight of all-time.

I think Oscar stopped the jab for a few reasons. First, he had Floyd up agianst the ropes several times during the fight, and as he threw those flurries, and the crowd went wild, I think it kind of changed Oscar's thinking on the fight. After that, he seemed to try and land the big punch, and go for some big shots. Secondly, like I said above, Oscar looked like he took a different approach to the fight half way through. He seemes really impatient, and didnt want to control with the jab, he tried to force Floyd into positions where Floyd wouldnt go, thhus throwing off whatever Oscar was thinking of doing. Thats what seemed pretty apparent to me. Freddy Roach, I heard him say COUTNLESS times that Oscar had to keep using the jab, and keep pressing it. But Oscar just didnt. Those are my reasons for it.

NYmoney
05-15-2007, 01:17 PM

biggest fight of all-time? yea, ok. try rumble in the jungle.

bored of education
05-15-2007, 01:19 PM
He meant by saying it was Oscar's biggest fight of all time conisdering what Oscar hasn't done in the past 5 years..getting a career solidifying victory. beating Vargas or mayorgas was neither of those.

SugarSean
05-15-2007, 03:25 PM
I'm a huge De la Hoya fan as well, but he kinda let me down. I think he just wanted to go out there and be competitive. The reason I want to see a rematch is because Oscar now knows that he can do much more than just be competitive and Floyd knows he can do much more than just fight to win. In the 11th round, he saw a lot of holes in Oscar's defense (Like jabbing to the stomach and following it with a straight right hand up top). Both of these guys are THAT good and complete fighters. They need to do the rematch.

SugarSean
05-15-2007, 03:27 PM
biggest fight of all-time? yea, ok. try rumble in the jungle.

There are SEVERAL ways that you can argue that it was the biggest fight of all time. No fight ever had a bigger purse or generated more money.

remix 6
05-15-2007, 08:51 PM
my name is floyd. my name is floyd. my name is MONEY MAYWEATHER

SugarSean
05-15-2007, 08:53 PM
my name is floyd. my name is floyd. my name is MONEY MAYWEATHER

That **** was hilarious. But I really think Uncle Roger needs his own reality show or he at least needs to be on I Love New York II or something.

NYmoney
05-16-2007, 03:28 PM
There are SEVERAL ways that you can argue that it was the biggest fight of all time. No fight ever had a bigger purse or generated more money.

to judge a fight by pure dollars is disgusting. first, you haven't indexed for inflation. second, everyone knows the biggest draw for fights is in the heavyweight division. third, the actual fight was a disappointment. fourth, the money put on this fight in vegas was far below what was expected; this sir is an indication of the fight's magnitude. the largest bet on DLH was on 90k. that's pitiful.

SugarSean
05-16-2007, 05:05 PM
to judge a fight by pure dollars is disgusting. first, you haven't indexed for inflation. second, everyone knows the biggest draw for fights is in the heavyweight division. third, the actual fight was a disappointment. fourth, the money put on this fight in vegas was far below what was expected; this sir is an indication of the fight's magnitude. the largest bet on DLH was on 90k. that's pitiful.

It doesn't matter if you adjust for inflation or not, no fight has took more at the gate. No fight had ever had more pay-per-view buys, can you index for that? If judging a fight off of pure dollars is disgusting, what exactly is judging a fight off of what was the largest amount of money bet on one of the combatants? So if I go bet 50 mil on one of the Friday Night Fights, does that make it the biggest fight in history? And the fight was a disappointment? Well, that's your opinion. What does it have to do with it being the biggest fight in history? Is not the Super Bowl the biggest game in football? It doesn't matter if it's the most exciting game or not. And your second point isn't even worth addressing. I said that there were several ways it could be argued that this was the biggest fight in history, but I never said that an argument can't be made for other fights being the biggest in history. Cooney-Holmes and Louis-Schmeling also can be considered the biggest fights in history.