PDA

View Full Version : Take the test

YAYareaRB
04-15-2007, 09:52 PM
http://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/study.html

What is your racial preference. I'm not black or white but I was wondering what I prefer. This test will tell you what you prefer more, I guess. My result was that I have a slight automatic preference to African Americans to European Americans.

draftguru151
04-15-2007, 10:01 PM
Your data suggest little to no automatic preference between European American and African American.

KILLERSANTA
04-15-2007, 10:01 PM
The test is too long..I give up.....

art vandelay
04-15-2007, 10:03 PM
The test is too long..I give up.....

Yep, same here.

elway777
04-15-2007, 10:04 PM
Where is this thread going?

Jimmy
04-15-2007, 10:05 PM
i got this: iah.html

adschofield
04-15-2007, 10:05 PM
The test is a little flawed b/c it is based on word association, but when I mistakenly matched a word with each side, it was because I was used to the previous pattern not because I associated the word with the ethnicity.

Chucky
04-15-2007, 10:07 PM
Your data suggest little to no automatic preference between African American and European American.

someone447
04-15-2007, 10:08 PM
Your data suggest little to no automatic preference between European American and African American.

Same here!

duckseason
04-15-2007, 10:09 PM
The test is a little flawed b/c it is based on word association, but when I mistakenly matched a word with each side, it was because I was used to the previous pattern not because I associated the word with the ethnicity.

Exactly. This test is more useful for gauging recognition and reaction time. And the ability to follow directions. Making a mistake shows that you're lacking in one of those areas. Nothing more.

someone447
04-15-2007, 10:11 PM
Exactly. This test is more useful for gauging recognition and reaction time. And the ability to follow directions. Making a mistake shows that you're lacking in one of those areas. Nothing more.

It isn't if you make a mistake, it is the amount of time that it takes you to do the correct thing.

adschofield
04-15-2007, 10:11 PM

thanks for calling me stupid. j/k.

moc182
04-15-2007, 10:12 PM
Your data suggest a strong automatic preference for European American compared to African American.

adschofield
04-15-2007, 10:13 PM
I got moderate preference of European Americans to African Americans.

duckseason
04-15-2007, 10:14 PM
It isn't if you make a mistake, it is the amount of time that it takes you to do the correct thing.
Either way, it still has to do with recognition and reflexes more than anything. Also, a person is more likely to make a mistake (and especially take longer) on the second go round because they are used to what was introduced at first. That test is ill-conceived and actually quite worthless IMO.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
04-15-2007, 10:15 PM
Your data suggest a strong automatic preference for European American compared to African American.

ROFL

WMD
04-15-2007, 10:16 PM

I better get out of Flint...

adschofield
04-15-2007, 10:16 PM
Either way, it still has to do with recognition and reflexes more than anything. Also, a person is more likely to make a mistake (and especially take longer) on the second go round because they are used to what was introduced at first. That test is ill-conceived and actually quite worthless IMO.

Agreed. It's very ill-conceived. And this was done by harvard?

04-15-2007, 10:18 PM

I'll drop by Flint to come get you on our way to Utah.

moc182
04-15-2007, 10:20 PM

That's BS, you're a bigger Norman Smiley fan than anyone I know.

DHVF
04-15-2007, 10:21 PM
Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for African American compared to European American.

Wow, that was kind of crazy.

someone447
04-15-2007, 10:21 PM
It is actually a somewhat decent measure. If you read the FAQ at the end, it does a good job explaining the questions you guys are posing. It says it has improved to take away the bias for order.

You guys that get moderate or strong, where are you from? I would venture a guess that you are in a less diverse area, or in the deep south where the culture almost expects you to hate minorities. Just because you would have a automatic preference is nothing other than a reflection on the culture you were raised in, it has nothing to do with how you really feel or act towards minorities.

04-15-2007, 10:23 PM
It is actually a somewhat decent measure. If you read the FAQ at the end, it does a good job explaining the questions you guys are posing. It says it has improved to take away the bias for order.

You guys that get moderate or strong, where are you from? I would venture a guess that you are in a less diverse area, or in the deep south where the culture almost expects you to hate minorities. Just because you would have a automatic preference is nothing other than a reflection on the culture you were raised in, it has nothing to do with how you really feel or act towards minorities.

Yeah, I'm from a suburb in the West End of Ottawa. There are literally 12 black people in my school. You probly have a point there. And I'm no racist either. I did see an awful example of closet racism once, it was ridiculous.

jballa838
04-15-2007, 10:24 PM
Your data suggest little to no automatic preference between European American and African American

could have guessed that, i vote democrat when i vote

moc182
04-15-2007, 10:25 PM

Um, I think I saw a black person once, but they might have just been really tan. In any event, there wasn't one black person in my high school, so it's probably a result of that cause I'm not racist.

jballa838
04-15-2007, 10:25 PM
I'll drop by Flint to come get you on our way to Utah.

i live in utah but i'm from washington but recently moved

someone447
04-15-2007, 10:26 PM
Yeah, I'm from a suburb in the West End of Ottawa. There are literally 12 black people in my school. You probly have a point there. And I'm no racist either. I did see an awful example of closet racism once, it was ridiculous.

Me, I was born in Wisconsin, until 4th grade I had met one black person. When I moved to TX I suddenly was the only white person on my otherwise all black football team. So I had the non racist upbringing combined with the southern diversity.

Nightmares Win 6-0
04-15-2007, 10:26 PM

someone447
04-15-2007, 10:28 PM
It seems like I am right and it is a decent test, as long as people realize that it isnt a test to gauge racism. Of course you are going to fell more comfortable with white people if you don't know any black people.

WMD
I'm actually an honorary black man. One of the guys at work told me that because i've seen Boyz N The Hood, Menace 2 Society and New Jack City.

duckseason

They can answer all the questions they want. Their FAQ section could be as thorough as possible. But the test itself is still completely worthless and will always spit out vast inaccuracies which will likely confuse a percentage of people who don't know any better. While leaving others scratching their head wondering why they even bothered.

Vince Lombardi
04-15-2007, 10:29 PM

steelersfan43
04-15-2007, 10:35 PM

Damn straight!

ny10804
04-15-2007, 10:46 PM
You have completed the African American - European American IAT.
Your Result
document.write(getElement("resultValue").value); Your data suggest a slight automatic preference for European American compared to African American.

YAYareaRB
04-15-2007, 10:49 PM
I just thought this was interesting. I know it may not be accurate, just thought it was interesting

critesy
04-15-2007, 10:50 PM
slight automatic preference for european americans compared to african americans

someone447
04-15-2007, 10:52 PM
They can answer all the questions they want. Their FAQ section could be as thorough as possible. But the test itself is still completely worthless and will always spit out vast inaccuracies which will likely confuse a percentage of people who don't know any better. While leaving others scratching their head wondering why they even bothered.

Of course it isn't perfectly accurate, and they don't claim it to be. But it does give a rough estimate, and it does what it proclaims to do. Of course it is worthless, it doesn't matter what your automatic preferences are as long as you don't act on them. It is made by Harvard, of course it is going to confuse some people. Hell 2+2 confuses some people.

GB12
04-15-2007, 11:05 PM
Me, I was born in Wisconsin, until 4th grade I had met one black person. When I moved to TX I suddenly was the only white person on my otherwise all black football team. So I had the non racist upbringing combined with the southern diversity.

Obviously far from Milwaukee.

My results

someone447
04-15-2007, 11:11 PM
Watertown, WI

GB12
04-15-2007, 11:19 PM
Watertown, WI

Huh, that surprises my a bit then. I have family in Oconomowoc and Dousman, I even lived in Delafield when I was very young. It's certainly not the most diverse area, but not seeing a black person until 4th grade?

mfkrush
04-15-2007, 11:19 PM
"You have a strong preferance towards white people"

www.blackpeopleloveus.com

Whod've thought?!??!?!

Stash
04-15-2007, 11:41 PM
Your data suggest you hate Honkeys.