PDA

View Full Version : Rob Parker on Sports Final Edition

Bootland27
04-15-2007, 11:13 PM
He thinks the lions will select Calvin Johnson at #2 (if available) and will try to trade him to another team. If they can't they will gladly keep "The best player in the draft."

IMO, this scenario is the most one likely to occur. There is still a slight chance they'll take Joe Thomas if they're stuck at 2, but IMO its becoming more and more clearer as each day passes.

P-L
04-15-2007, 11:58 PM
I actually thought of this the other day. If you can't get someone to trade with you, then take him. That way, if anyone wants him they'll have to deal for him. If no one bites, then he'll still end up as a great pick for us.

asmitty45
04-16-2007, 12:06 AM
Couldnt agree more, Millen will take some heat for it initially but if they end up trading him he'll be a "genious"

WMD
04-16-2007, 04:40 AM
That's what I want.. if we can't trade out, we take CJ. It's a win-win-win situation.

We trade down, good.. We got our picks and can take someone we 'need' more.. or we get stuck at #2, and take the best player in the draft. No problem, we'll make room for him.. and that'll force someone's hand if they desperately wanted CJ.. and we MIGHT even be able to get more for CJ in this scenario, too.

Addict
04-16-2007, 05:13 AM
Couldnt agree more, Millen will take some heat for it initially but if they end up trading him he'll be a "genious"

Nobody will give a GM heat for choosing CJ. Honestly, I would be pleased if Millen did. It would, IMO not only help our offense (he's a great receiver) but also finally put the 'haha the lions can't find talent if it fell on their heads'-attitude we're getting. Honestly. CJ as our pick would be okay with me.
Of course that does mean we'd have to go defensive all the way after that.

Caddy
04-16-2007, 05:34 AM
Nobody will give a GM heat for choosing CJ. Honestly, I would be pleased if Millen did. It would, IMO not only help our offense (he's a great receiver) but also finally put the 'haha the lions can't find talent if it fell on their heads'-attitude we're getting. Honestly. CJ as our pick would be okay with me.
Of course that does mean we'd have to go defensive all the way after that.

I don't know about that. Taking 4 first round receivers in the last 5 years doesn't exactly look that great on a resume.

detroit4life
04-16-2007, 07:57 AM
I don't know about that. Taking 4 first round receivers in the last 5 years doesn't exactly look that great on a resume.

true but this kid is just amazing that it would be hard to complain if we took him

woodnick
04-16-2007, 08:27 AM

Lol, lspecially when two of them were Charles Rogers and Mike Williams. Not to mention the players drafted with the following picks were: Andre Johnson after Rogers, DeAngello Hall after Roy Williams, Demarcus Ware then Shawn Merriman after Mike Williams. If we had gotten Johnson, Hall, and Ware/Merriman our D would have the potential to look pretty sick not to mention Roy to Johnson wouldn't be the biggest drop off either. What can I say, Millen is amazing at clearly defining the most talented player at the most value in the draft.

Addict
04-16-2007, 08:37 AM
Lol, lspecially when two of them were Charles Rogers and Mike Williams. Not to mention the players drafted with the following picks were: Andre Johnson after Rogers, DeAngello Hall after Roy Williams, Demarcus Ware then Shawn Merriman after Mike Williams. If we had gotten Johnson, Hall, and Ware/Merriman our D would have the potential to look pretty sick not to mention Roy to Johnson wouldn't be the biggest drop off either. What can I say, Millen is amazing at clearly defining the most talented player at the most value in the draft.

Well at least he didn't mess up last year.

I think Millen's a true draft expert... it's simple logic, lemme take you through it.

You can compare it to catching a ball. Imagine you've never attempted to catch a ball, you would therefore suck at it, still if someone was to throw 100 balls at you, you'd still end up catching a few, simply cause you occasionaly get the technique right, or right-ish enough.

However the only way you can really suck at catching balls is to be incredible at catching, and then doing the opposite of what you're supposed to be doing. You won't get it right a single time, since you know what you should do to catch the ball, and avoid doing it at all costs.

Millen and drafting might be the same thing. He knows EVERYTHING there is to know about it, has a better view on the prospects than anyone. Therefore, he can be totally crap at it.

(seriously though, Millens selections looked solid at the time)

woodnick
04-16-2007, 08:51 AM
Well at least he didn't mess up last year.

I think Millen's a true draft expert... it's simple logic, lemme take you through it.

You can compare it to catching a ball. Imagine you've never attempted to catch a ball, you would therefore suck at it, still if someone was to throw 100 balls at you, you'd still end up catching a few, simply cause you occasionaly get the technique right, or right-ish enough.

However the only way you can really suck at catching balls is to be incredible at catching, and then doing the opposite of what you're supposed to be doing. You won't get it right a single time, since you know what you should do to catch the ball, and avoid doing it at all costs.

Millen and drafting might be the same thing. He knows EVERYTHING there is to know about it, has a better view on the prospects than anyone. Therefore, he can be totally crap at it.

(seriously though, Millens selections looked solid at the time)

Yeah, other than Mike Williams I thought the first rds were good picks highlighted by the rub and tug he got from Butch Davis in 2004 trade.

WMD
04-16-2007, 07:33 PM

Add it to the list of things Millen has that won't look great on a resume..