PDA

View Full Version : Det-Atl Trade rumour

Bootland27
04-16-2007, 02:50 PM
Drew Sharpe talked to someone in Atlanta and said the falcons want to move up to #2 so that they can get Calvin Johnson (provided he's still there).

The rumored return package:
Atl 1st rd (#8)
2nd rd via Houston (#39)
2nd rd (#44)
3rd (#75)

Compilation of lions picks after deal:
#8, 3 2nds, 2 3rds, 4th, 4 5ths, 6th

I would do this deal in an instant. I mean Holy $hit 4 picks in the top 44!!!!!!!
Not only that they'd have enough ammo to move into the latter portion of the first round, not once but twice!!!!!!!!!!

How about a 1st day mock like this (w/o trading up):
#8 Willis
#34 Spencer
#39 Mccauley
#44 Sears (or BPA)
#66 Weddle (or BPA)
#75 Stanton??? (or BPA)

lionsfan81
04-16-2007, 03:28 PM
that would be veryyy sweet

JPLUFF
04-16-2007, 03:29 PM
As great as that would be, and as much as I've heard Atlanta liking CJ, I'd be amazed if that deal would ever be offered. That's a steep price to pay.

eacantdraft
04-16-2007, 03:31 PM
Not a happening.

woodnick
04-16-2007, 03:44 PM
Petrino is an offensive mind, and as of right now Vick needs HELP from the WR spot. CJ would help Vick tremendously in terms of developing and now the Falcons are completely commited to devoloping him. It also helps that CJ21 is a hometown legend.

Aard
04-16-2007, 04:00 PM
Many people have said the Lions will not trade down past #5, but if Millen is interested in Willis then the #8 slot is the position he would want to draft from. I've been hoping the Falcons would come calling.

asmitty45
04-16-2007, 04:04 PM
hell ya id do that, then we get Willis/Landry at 8. Merriwether adn stanton in rd 2 and hughes and a Ilama-Francis in round 3. Id be very happy

detroit4life
04-16-2007, 04:50 PM
i'd do that in a second a top 10 pick and 3 second round pick as well was 2 third round pick. 6 picks in day one how do u say no to that

WMD
04-16-2007, 07:40 PM
I would do that before they even added the 3rd Rounder. That would be amazing.. I doubt it'll happen, but it is a dream scenario. As long as we can come out of the draft with Patrick Willis & Brandon Meriweather, I'll be a happy camper..

After all, the WMD in my name stands for Willis + Meriweather = Death

TheMadLionsFan
04-16-2007, 08:00 PM
this possibility has me salivating

reinar
04-21-2007, 04:45 AM
think we will still do it?

iKNOW
04-21-2007, 07:12 PM
would be great for the lions. still seems hard to believe, as its only 6 slots but perhaps the falcons think CJ is the last piece of the puzzle. a swap plus 1 2nd rounder and another pick (anything but the other 2nd rounder) seems more likely.

Iamcanadian
04-21-2007, 10:10 PM
Ya, sure, Why would Atlanta want Johnson at that price. Vick is a career 50-53 % passer and Johnson isn't going to make him anymore accurate. Vick simply cannot hit an open receiver to save his life. They lost Kerney in FA and need serious help on defense or they are going nowhere. Selling out for a WR who Vick won't be able to truly utilize makes absolutely no sense. Let's see, there was the trade with Cleveland, then Tampa and now Atlanta. Sounds like just another ridiculous rumour to me although it at least meets the value chart requirements. Tampa is the only trade down I see as doable with either of these 2 possibilities:
1) we get Tampa's 1st, 2nd and 3rd
2) we get Tampa 1st and 2nd plus either Rice OR Kelly.

It would be an excellent trade down by Detroit if they are targeting Adams plus a 2nd round MLB and CB. This would at least set up our defense to be really good in about 2 or 3 seasons if Millen can actually be right on 3 players he drafts.

JoeMontainya
04-21-2007, 10:51 PM
No WR for Mike Vick will be good because of Vicks style.

TRJ997
04-21-2007, 10:56 PM
If there was 1% of actual truth to this, Detroit would have closed this deal the day it was offered. This trade was never offered and Detroit won't get anything close to this from anyone.

woodnick
04-22-2007, 02:20 PM
Ya, sure, Why would Atlanta want Johnson at that price. Vick is a career 50-53 % passer and Johnson isn't going to make him anymore accurate. Vick simply cannot hit an open receiver to save his life. They lost Kerney in FA and need serious help on defense or they are going nowhere. Selling out for a WR who Vick won't be able to truly utilize makes absolutely no sense. Let's see, there was the trade with Cleveland, then Tampa and now Atlanta. Sounds like just another ridiculous rumour to me although it at least meets the value chart requirements. Tampa is the only trade down I see as doable with either of these 2 possibilities:
1) we get Tampa's 1st, 2nd and 3rd
2) we get Tampa 1st and 2nd plus either Rice OR Kelly.

It would be an excellent trade down by Detroit if they are targeting Adams plus a 2nd round MLB and CB. This would at least set up our defense to be really good in about 2 or 3 seasons if Millen can actually be right on 3 players he drafts.

Vick is a 50-53% passer because his team usually is one of the top 3 in dropped passes, so a huge target with great hands would probably raise his completion %. Also as a home-grown product CJ21 would definately help sell more tickets, which is what the name of the game is.

Addict
04-22-2007, 02:32 PM
I would do that before they even added the 3rd Rounder. That would be amazing.. I doubt it'll happen, but it is a dream scenario. As long as we can come out of the draft with Patrick Willis & Brandon Meriweather, I'll be a happy camper..

After all, the WMD in my name stands for Willis + Meriweather = Death

Hu? I thought it was wet, moist and damp...

WMD
04-22-2007, 03:20 PM
If there was 1% of actual truth to this, Detroit would have closed this deal the day it was offered. This trade was never offered and Detroit won't get anything close to this from anyone.

Detroit would have.. but Atlanta wouldn't. Who would they take at #2 if the Raiders picked CJ? Nobody is going to trade with us until the Raiders sign or make their pick... unless they could use either JaMarcus OR Calvin.

detroit4life
04-22-2007, 04:01 PM
a trade isnt going to happen until OAK takes Russell or signs him. All these deals supposedly on the table for us are all for CJ so they arent going to go thru until CJ is actualy avaiable at #2

WMD
04-22-2007, 07:56 PM
Hu? I thought it was wet, moist and damp...

Now who in the world told you that dirty dirty lie?

Bootland27
04-22-2007, 08:02 PM
I've also heard this offer being kicked around:

#8, one of the 2nd round picks and a 1st next year.

detroit4life
04-23-2007, 04:45 PM
I've also heard this offer being kicked around:

#8, one of the 2nd round picks and a 1st next year.

i would take that also mayb see if we cant get there 3rd too sure it wouldnt help us as much as a second this year but there seems to be some pretty good players next year and having two 1st both of which could very well be pretty high could be a great thing

Shiver
04-23-2007, 05:38 PM
I don't believe the "Falcons trading for Calvin Johnson" rumors. The team has many needs, and usually new coaching staffs like to reshape the roster into what they want. If the Falcons were to trade for Johnson, how are they going to revamp the O-Line, Defensive Backfield, D-Line, etcetera? The Falcons have an old team, with not enough depth, and they are changing offensive schemes. They need everyone of their seven picks in the first four rounds of this year's draft.

Bootland27
04-23-2007, 05:55 PM
I don't believe the "Falcons trading for Calvin Johnson" rumors. The team has many needs, and usually new coaching staffs like to reshape the roster into what they want. If the Falcons were to trade for Johnson, how are they going to revamp the O-Line, Defensive Backfield, D-Line, etcetera? The Falcons have an old team, with not enough depth, and they are changing offensive schemes. They need everyone of their seven picks in the first four rounds of this year's draft.

But isn't Petrino an offensive minded coach? And what about the receivers, none of the 1st round guys have really panned out, not to mention a problem with dropped balls??

Shiver
04-23-2007, 05:59 PM
Yeah, WR is a need. It absolutely is. I would love to have Calvin Johnson, and I am sure Bobby Petrino and co. would too. The problem being, the team has other needs. So this 'rumored' trade sending the whole day-1 to Detroit, isn't realistic. If anything, Atlanta will only do it if it favors them on the value chart. Here is what Peter King wrote;

I know the Lions will ignore the draft-trade value chart if they can find a suitor for their pick. I told a Cowboys official the other day: "That draft value chart you guys created is the dumbest thing I've ever seen, and it's got all the GMs in the league spooked.''

You probably have heard of this chart. A Cowboys front-office man named Mike McCoy invented it when Jimmy Johnson took over as coach in 1989. It assigns a point value to every slot in the draft. The first overall pick is worth 3,000 points, No. 10 is worth 1,300, No. 40 worth 500, No. 80 worth 190, etc.

The Lions, picking second, would be happy with a number of players, from what I hear, and are aggressively trying to trade down. I don't see it happening; but if Detroit does, I know Matt Millen won't be tied to getting the exact value the chart dictates. "The chart is a guideline,'' one draft-board setter told me the other day. "It shouldn't be gospel. When you trade, you have to look at the market and see what the market will bear.''

iloxygenil
04-23-2007, 06:02 PM
Yeah, there i just no way that this happens, a team doesn't put 4 day 1 picks on the line for 1 guy. Sorry Lions fans our FO might be stupid, but not that stupid.

Shiver
04-23-2007, 06:12 PM
If anything; Atlanta may give up their two 2nd round picks. I would be shocked if they give up any more. That is, '08 picks, or any other picks in this year's draft.

reinar
04-24-2007, 04:53 AM
2 second rounders is what they need to give us, that would do what it needs todo for us, but its short of what it will take to get CJ I think, and with vick, they want a go to guy to make him and his scrambling worthwhile. i just hope ATL wants him bad enough, cause then Willis is waiting to take us to the promised land. and with 2 extra 2nd rounders, DE, CB, S and then QB in the 3rd if we want.