PDA

View Full Version : BCS or Playoff?

BigJohn98
04-16-2007, 05:55 PM
Year after year, it's probably the most debated topic in college football next to who the best confrence is. So, do YOU want to see a playoff or do you want to keep the BCS in place?

Personally, I would like to see the NCAA keep the BCS. Why? Well for one, I don't want to see the NCAA turn into the NFL with this playoff system. What if a 7-6 team wins the National Title? Another reason is that I like the idea in college football that every game counts. If you lose one, your shot at the National Title reduces greatly. In the NFL, you can lose 2-6 games, and still win your division, depending on the confrence you're in, and also still make the playoffs. This is all just my opinion. What's yours?

RoyHall#1
04-16-2007, 06:01 PM
I prefer the BCS as well. I like the fact that NCAA basketball and football provide different experiences, and that every reg. season game counts in ncaaf. Plus, if there was a playoff only 8 teams would be in it, maybe 16.

constant cough
04-16-2007, 06:12 PM
I can see liking the BCS if you're Ohio St. or Michigan in the Big 10. Or USC in the Pac 10. You really really like it if you're Notre Dame.

But if you're team is in the Big 12, ACC or THE SEC. Then I can't see how you wouldn't want a playoff. Remeber Florida almost didn't get in this year. Auburn 05' Remeber them? USC/LSU split title remeber that?

There are probably more examples I'm forgetting but the point is the BCS sucks big time. You can still have the bowl games just make them playoff games. Sure some of the other bowls won't mean as much but they already don't mean much. There are way way too many bowl games.

OhioState
04-16-2007, 06:14 PM
i think an eight team playoff would be great.

OhioState
04-16-2007, 06:15 PM
i would also like to see them get rid of the one or two months after the regular season ends until the BCS and i think a playoff could solve that.

neko4
04-16-2007, 06:24 PM
I would like to see the bowls stay, but also playoffs for BCS games. An 8team field to become national champs, the first round games will be the rose,fiesta,orange,and sugar bowls. Winner of the Rose plays winner of fiesta and winner of Orange plays winner of Sugar.
Example

Rose:
1 USC
2 Boise State

Fiesta:
1 Ohio State
2 Oklahoma

Sugar:
1 LSU
2 V Tech

Orange:
1 Florida
2 Michigan

Then...
Rose-Fiesta
1 tOSU
2 Boise State

Sugar-Orange
1 Florida
2 V Tech

Then...
1 V Tech
2 Boise state

Games will start on Dec 31
That way the tradition of the Rose and other bowls is preserved but combine and draft will get bumped

Jimmy
04-16-2007, 06:53 PM
Well for one, I don't want to see the NCAA turn into the NFL with this playoff system. What if a 7-6 team wins the National Title?

a 7-6 team wouldnt make the playoffs to begin with, there are many more teams than the nfl which means better records

TigerBait45
04-16-2007, 06:55 PM
Give me a 6 team playoff with the top 2 teams getting a bye week and I'd be the happiest man on the planet.

You don't even have to get rid of the BCS, just take the top 6 in the poll.

KCJ58
04-16-2007, 08:35 PM
Playoff System is what every1 wants. why dont they just do it

Bengals1690
04-16-2007, 08:47 PM
top eight BCS schools line up like this
1 2
8 7

4 3
5 6

i would love it

TigerBait45
04-16-2007, 09:12 PM
Playoff System is what every1 wants. why dont they just do it

Its mostly because the bowl system brings in a ton of money. College presidents aren't willing to do away with a system that makes them so much money, so they stick with something that has obvious flaws.

A playoff wouldn't be perfect, I guess, but it would be a whole lot closer to it than the BCS has been.

I think that you could work out a playoff system and still keep the bowls for everyone that doesn't make it to the tournament.

slightlyaraiderfan
04-16-2007, 09:39 PM
The BCS is unique to college football, and i've always preferred it.

DaBears9654
04-16-2007, 10:43 PM
Playoff, even though it'll never happen. The BCS is a load of crap!

TigerBait45
04-16-2007, 11:09 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2815940

The SEC could be really getting behind it. That may be all it would take.

RaiderNation
04-16-2007, 11:15 PM
playoff for sure

Don Vito
04-16-2007, 11:17 PM
I would like to see a playoff system. There were a lot of teams in the SEC last year who just beat up on eachother but had worse records than teams from other conferences so they didn't get to really show themselves. Teams like Arkansas, LSU, and Auburn could really have done something if there was a playoff system last season. We all saw what Florida did, and they showed why they were the best team in the country. A playoff system would be much more exciting and it would take a lot more than computers and one game to show who the best team in the nation truly is.

RWFender1
04-17-2007, 12:51 AM
i like it the way it is

DaBears9654
04-19-2007, 09:01 AM
What doesn't make sense to me is, almost everything else -- including lower level NCAA football -- has a tournament to determine its champion. Why shouldn't Div. I-A (Bowl Division, whatever you want to call it).

And I said "almost" b/c NFL Europe only has a title game, but the only math it's based on is 6 (total teams) - 2 (best records). Or I guess it would be more accurate to say 6 (total teams) - 4 (worst records). You know what I mean.

DaBears9654
04-19-2007, 10:11 PM
I think that you could work out a playoff system and still keep the bowls for everyone that doesn't make it to the tournament.
I wouldn't mind that; it could be like football's version of the NIT.

DaBears0530
04-21-2007, 12:30 PM
Instead of March madness there would be January Madness!! We'd all be filling out football brackets :-).

KBear
04-21-2007, 01:08 PM
Playoffs of the BCS teams has some promise, but any playoffs sill wont include all the teams that people believe should be in. Niether is a perfect systems, BCS is unique. Only real downside is that is not perfect in dertermining the NC, but its better then the previous system.

snuff
04-21-2007, 02:02 PM
BCS. Just make non-conference games better.

BuffaloDraftGeek
04-21-2007, 02:36 PM
Playoff, and the system isn't hard to come up with either. Something like this:

8 teams make it. Every major conference member gets a seed, as well as the team deemed to be the best midmjaor, and one wildcard spot, for the 2nd best team in the ncaa. They would still have the polls and ranking system, that would determine who gets the mid-major and wildcard spots. Then, it would be something like this.

"Rose Bowl:" Pac-10 Champ vs. Big 10 Champ
"Orange Bowl:" ACC champ vs. Big East
"Fiesta Bowl:" Big 12 vs. Mid-major
"Sugar Bowl:" SEC vs. Wildcard

So this year it would be: OSU vs. USC, Wake Forest vs. Louisville, Oklahoma vs. Boise State, and Florida vs. Michigan

Or, if you don't care about the bowl game affiliations, you just have the rankings system determine a 1-8 seeding. Then of course, whichever seeding system you use, winners face each other in the semis, and winners of that face off in the finals.

As for the arguement about not having to win almost all your games, you still have to. To win a division in college football is very hard. Not sure off the top of my head, but I think every team but Oklahoma up there lost 1 game or less.

MP123
04-21-2007, 02:43 PM
I say playoff. Look at Utah and Boise St. Two BCS no conference teams who came in and won the fiesta bowl. It just goes to show you that teams like that can be good as well. So, there needs to be a playoff.

mad36092
04-23-2007, 09:22 PM
Though the NFL season is longer, losses mean less. I think that a playoff is best, because in the regular season the undefeated teams might not play the best competition, so they should have to go through the best teams for the championship.

OSUGiants17
04-24-2007, 02:17 PM
Playoffs that way even the little teams can become champions.
________
Jailbroken (http://jailbroken.org/)

badgerbacker
04-24-2007, 02:31 PM
I think the BCS system is fine. If a playoff system were developed, there would still be just as many arguments about which teams made the tournament. The idea of having the current BCS bowls as early round games in a tournament completely takes away the tradition behind the bowl, because if you win the Rose Bowl, you aren't considered the Rose Bowl champion, you've just advanced to the second round.

A playoff system wouldn't be bad, but I just don't see it as an improvement over the current scheme.

Go_Eagles77
04-24-2007, 07:08 PM
Playoffs for sure.

asmitty45
04-24-2007, 07:50 PM
A playoff would be so much fun to watch, and as unrealistic as it may be due to TV deals and sponsors, im all for it

HoopsDemon12
04-24-2007, 07:59 PM
just look to the canadian championships...CIS... they have a playoff system and it works great... look into it

xUFxGATORxUFx
05-01-2007, 08:54 AM
I gotta go with BCS, playoffs are just injury risks

reese
05-17-2007, 01:44 AM
8 teams would be perfect...

VY10
05-17-2007, 08:32 PM
BCS works best for the national champion when there are two teams from major conferences who are both undefeated.

EX: USC vs Texas

What do you do in the BCS if there are 4 undefeated teams? Though unlikely it could happen. Or what if there isn't an undefeated team and a bunch of teams who have lost 1-2 games. Then the system is very controversial.

NickBam
05-17-2007, 08:42 PM
BCS me so everyone game is incredibly important. Unless you only have a 4-team playoff (which will still bring controversy). You pretty much can't win, some team is always going to feel snubbed regardless of what the system is.

DorianSmith
05-17-2007, 11:48 PM
i say a 32 team playoff would b awesome

TigerBait45
05-18-2007, 12:17 AM
32 would be way too much.

Finsfan79
05-18-2007, 12:27 PM
playoffs all the way

princefielder28
05-18-2007, 12:55 PM
I'm not against the BCS but if they went to a playoff system I wouldn't mind that either

-black
05-18-2007, 01:13 PM
College football has the best regular season of any sport. A playoff would dilute the importance and meaning of the regular season. I would keep the BCS. The ONLY system i might be ok with would be a plus one system....only so 2004 Aub/Okl/USC would not happen again.....

draftguru151
05-18-2007, 02:58 PM
I think an 8 team playoff would be the best post season.

MaxV
05-18-2007, 04:03 PM
I can't believe there are 21 people that voted for BCS.

MaxV
05-18-2007, 04:07 PM
College football has the best regular season of any sport. A playoff would dilute the importance and meaning of the regular season. I would keep the BCS. The ONLY system i might be ok with would be a plus one system....only so 2004 Aub/Okl/USC would not happen again.....

I disagree with that statement.

Those great rivalry game such as Michigan-OSU, Oklahoma-Texas and USC-UCLA would still be HUGE draws.

Playoffs wouldn't take away from the regular season and they would ADD great games.

draftguru151
05-18-2007, 04:19 PM

Those great rivalry game such as Michigan-OSU, Oklahoma-Texas and USC-UCLA would still be HUGE draws.

Playoffs wouldn't take away from the regular season and they would ADD great games.

It would in a way. In college football to even get to the NC you have to win every game during the season. If there was a playoff those games would lose value and you could lose 1, even 2 games and still get a chance to win the championship.

-black
05-21-2007, 10:29 AM

well your free to disagree, but my statement still stands. A 3 lost Colorado team in 2001 would have been in the playoff. Which means the first time, no second time, no third time they lost would not have meant much. The USC faithful would not be as hurt from a lost to UCLA, because they would still be in the hunt. There would be resting players and players looking forward to the playoffs. No more would teams play for the season, but play to make the playoffs. So losses would not hurt as much and wins would not be as special. Really, do you think the OSU/Mich game would have been as huge had there been a playoff afterwards? that no matter who won both would still have a shot at the NC. That means aside from pride and tradition, the game did not mean nearly as much to the overall SEASON.

It WOULD dilute the meaning of the reg season. I LOVE college football, more than the NFL. I do not want to see the best reg season in all of sports sacraficed for a fun 2-3 week playoff.