PDA

View Full Version : Kowalski Blog Entry - 4-16

Xiomera
04-16-2007, 05:56 PM
http://blog.mlive.com/lionsinsider/2007/04/poison_pill_in_mccown_deal_cou.html

There has been a lot of talk about the Lions' possible deal with the Oakland Raiders for backup quarterback Josh McCown. Some think it's a smokescreen on behalf of either the Lions or Raiders or both. Let's assume there is a real conversation taking place and the Raiders are willing to pay the price (and the Lions would be insane to take anything less than a third-rounder).
The Lions are worried that if they deal McCown, there is less chance the Raiders will take LSU quarterback JaMarcus Russell with the first overall pick. The Lions need Russell to go No. 1 because they have a much greater chance to trade down if Calvin Johnson is still available. If Johnson is drafted No. 1, the Lions' odds of moving down will be greatly diminished.
There is an unconfirmed rumor that the Lions want to include a "poison pill'' in any potential trade for McCown. If the Raiders either trade the pick or draft someone other than Russell, the Lions would get even more compensation for McCown.
The problem with that scenario is that it doesn't absolutely preclude the Raiders from dealing the pick or taking Johnson -- it's just going to cost them more. And, if they make a great deal, they'll have the ammo to absorb the extra hit by the Lions -- and the Raiders still get everything they wanted.
No, the Lions should simply demand this: Put all the paperwork in order for a trade for McCown and then one minute after the Raiders draft Russell -- or sign him before the draft -- the trade for McCown goes through. Why risk it? There are less than two weeks before the draft so there's no pressing need for McCown to get to Oakland right now.
The Lions need to be patient.
The one thing I don't understand is why McCown is so fired up about going to Oakland in the first place. He stayed away from the recent OTAs to put a little more pressure on the Lions to swing the deal. But it makes no sense, even from his point of view.
If the Raiders take Russell then, sure, McCown will be the starter to open the season, but how long does he think that's going to last? Last year, first-rounders Vince Young, Matt Leinart and Jay Cutler were all backups at the start of the season but they all became starters, some sooner rather than later. In the case of the first overall pick in the draft, you can expect that in Oakland it would be much, much sooner.
Now, you can argue that at least McCown would get a few snaps and it would make him more marketable when he becomes a free agent in 2008. OK, but wouldn't McCown look much better if he got a few snaps in Detroit, which has much better offensive weapons (especially if Randy Moss is traded) and a much better offensive system with a much better playcaller? Sure it's a risk, but what are the odds that Jon Kitna is going to take every single snap for a second straight year? Remember, Kitna was the first quarterback to do that in the Lions' 77-year history.
Here's the thing: If I'm the Lions, I don't trade McCown to begin with and, if I'm McCown, I wouldn't want to go anywhere anyway.
McCown needs to be patient.

It's worth a read . . . it basically sums up what some of us have been saying all along. Why deal McCown if it leads to CJ going to OAK?

detroit4life
04-16-2007, 06:01 PM
it is a greta read i was going to post this earlier but got busy and never had a chance but looking at it the incentive Kowalski suggests that we get if raiders take CJ depending on that it may b worht it. Say the deal is they give us their third but if they take CJ we get their second instead. that basically gives us nearly what we could have gotten in a trade down and we still have a shot at trading down anyway with russell still being on the board. So depending on what they can swing in terms of that incentive it could work out very well for us

asmitty45
04-16-2007, 06:46 PM
i agree totally, wait until draft day to make the deal. No need to rush anything. As of now we're playing our cards very well, but if they trade McCown before the draft i will immidiately rescind this comment

WMD
04-16-2007, 07:50 PM
I've thought that all along... and I hope we don't give them McCown before the draft, either.

reinar
04-16-2007, 11:15 PM
what do you guys think about Tampa moving up to #1 to get CJ? think its got any teeth in it?

I just really cant see Russell NOT being drafted by Al Davis, period.

WMD
04-17-2007, 04:36 AM
what do you guys think about Tampa moving up to #1 to get CJ? think its got any teeth in it?

I just really cant see Russell NOT being drafted by Al Davis, period.

The only way I'd see them going to #1 is if they felt the Raiders were going to take him. It wouldnt' make sense for them to go to #1 because they're scared of us taking him.

reinar
04-17-2007, 04:52 AM
yea if they think Oakland will take Russell, then I see TB either trading with us, or waiting until we have him them offering up the farm for him.

of course, I would rather that Cleveland got off their butts, and traded us as soon as Russell goes to Oakland, since they want quinn.

P-L
04-17-2007, 10:39 AM
If we can get a 3rd Round pick for Josh McCown I wouldn't hesitate to trade him. I don't care about our chances of trading down on draft day. Anytime you can get a 3rd Round pick for your 3rd-string QB, you have to take it. I really disagree with Kowalski. If any team gives us a day one pick for McCown, they're insane. If Millen can pull out a 3rd Round, especially from a team like the Raiders, he needs to win Executive of the Year.

Notredameleo
04-17-2007, 11:29 AM
Do you guys honestly think that the raiders would give up a 3rd for McCown? I mean, i wold be ecstatic if they did, i just dont see it happening .

Maybe Next Year Millen2
04-17-2007, 12:11 PM
Yeah I don't know if they would give up a 3rd. Oakland has a ton of holes and their pick is the first pick in Round 3 which can get you some pretty good talent that fell from Round 2.

Notredameleo
04-17-2007, 12:35 PM
I would take their 4th, you would have the first two picks of the second day, and there will still be a lot of good players left.

jbombul
04-17-2007, 12:42 PM
i would trade them mccown for a third if they still draft Russell

dreadedluck
04-17-2007, 04:59 PM
Most Lions will sell their souls to leave. Martz, Marinelli, and Millen have the guys they like and thats it. I think everyone in the clubhouse knows that. Danny O will get more snaps then McCown according to the way Martz talks and McCown probaly knows that. He is a dead fish here and I don't blame him for wanting out.

Tradinghim is the best move overall, since we will draft a QB this year and Danny O will backup old man river. But the trade needs to have clauses as everyone is saying. So a condition could be made or a trade after Oakland is off the clock. I think even if McCown goes to Oakland they will still draft Russell, but better safe then Millened

reinar
04-17-2007, 11:08 PM
I still feel a very good twinge that McCown and Mike Williams are in a boat together, and that boat is being traded, most likely to the Raiders, but I feel the Dolphins are also in that range since both teams have neesd at QB/WR.

dont be surprised, if i happens, and we get a couple picks - either a 2nd or a 3/4 combo perhaps, maybe a 3/5/6 combo, or something.