PDA

View Full Version : Help My little Brother Out

roidrunner
08-07-2006, 11:38 PM
So my little brother is at that time in a boys life where has to choose what college he wants to go to. but he is having trouble deciding what college he wants to go to. So i said i would help him out. So i am asking you guys. My brother has the grades to get in these schools. he just doesnt know where he wants to go. He wants to major in Math and Non organic-Chem. Let us know what you guys think. He doesnt care about the sports team very much.

SuperMcGee
08-07-2006, 11:40 PM
I would really like to go to Miami Ohio. I'm also looking at majoring in a mathematics field and it looks pretty good there

draftguru151
08-07-2006, 11:41 PM
From that list, Vanderbilt. Great school, Nashville is a really nice place. Top notch rugby program. :wink: There is a checkers across the street and you can get quiznos with your meal plan, mmm toasty.

Just make sure he stays away from organic chem. Hardest stuff ever.

roidrunner
08-07-2006, 11:43 PM
the kids got the brains for it a 34 on his ACT and a 4.0. At one of the top private schools in america. He's #2 in his class, behind his ex girl friend.

Hawk
08-07-2006, 11:45 PM
the kids got the brains for it a 34 on his ACT and a 4.0. At one of the top private schools in america. He's #2 in his class, behind his ex girl friend.

what a smart couple

America
08-07-2006, 11:47 PM
I'd say BC or Northwestern. I have relatives who went there/are going there. BC is a great school, great campus, and I love Boston so that's all good. NU is a great campus, real good school, and I also love Chicago, but its ridiculously cold there in the wintertime. Depends on the climate he likes, big school small school and whatever. Those are my two favorites. Plus they've got decent football teams. Or Stanford, good school and California is very nice.

draftguru151
08-07-2006, 11:47 PM

what a smart couple

:lol:

Does he just have a 4.0? Because I have a 3.95 and am 65th in my class. :? What did he get on the SAT?

Vandy is a really hard school to get into. I got a 1300 on the SAT and the only way I am getting in is because my brother goes there now. He has like a 4.8 and got a 1370 on his SAT. :? If your brother can get into Vandy, he should go there.

roidrunner
08-07-2006, 11:48 PM

what a smart couple

yea tell me about it. but she was also completely nuts.

roidrunner
08-07-2006, 11:49 PM

what a smart couple

Does he just have a 4.0? Because I have a 3.95 and am 65th in my class. :? What did he get on the SAT?

Vandy is a really hard school to get into. I got a 1300 on the SAT and the only way I am getting in is because my brother goes there now. He has like a 4.8 and got a 1370 on his SAT. :? If your brother can get into Vandy, he should go there.

Hes never gotten below an A on anything. That includes A-'s. 36 is the max you an get on the ACT. and he was like a oint of two away from a 35. .

Ho0k Em'
08-07-2006, 11:57 PM

what a smart couple

Hes never gotten below an A on anything. That includes A-'s. 36 is the max you an get on the ACT. and he was like a oint of two away from a 35. .

To be #2 in your class at a nice school and have the credentials to get he almost has to have above a 4.0. Because I would think he would be in a bunch of honors/AP classes and they count for more if you get an A i'm pretty sure.

Tobzilla
08-08-2006, 12:03 AM
So he's not smart enought to make his own big decisions?

Seriously, why the hell would you ask a bunch of people on a sports forum?

:? :x

bigthonky7
go to a in stae school save some money for your parents.

Ravens1991
Northwestern has the best wrestling program I would go there, but what state do you guys live in, also will he get homesick etc, it is preety tough for us to make a decision for him since nobody has ever met him probably.

roidrunner
08-08-2006, 12:05 AM
Northwestern has the best wrestling program I would go there, but what state do you guys live in, also will he get homesick etc, it is preety tough for us to make a decision for him since nobody has ever met him probably.

We live in Illinois. about 20 minutes. north of Northwestern

roidrunner
08-08-2006, 12:05 AM

because he is only 16. and it is overwhelming. and i am just trying to help him.

Ho0k Em'
08-08-2006, 12:06 AM

because alot of people on here are in college or have had experience certian colleges.

Ravens1991
08-08-2006, 12:06 AM
well that is local so he will be able to visit his family, I will probably look at a college like that, It really depends on if he wants to go far away or stay local.

Tobzilla
08-08-2006, 12:09 AM
That list seems suspect. If he gets scores like 34 he should be looking at high class private schools like something in the Ivy League. Also with scores like that he should be getting some major scholarships.

roidrunner
08-08-2006, 12:11 AM
That list seems suspect. If he gets scores like 34 he should be looking at high class private schools like something in the Ivy League. Also with scores like that he should be getting some major scholarships.

he doesnt want Ivy league. He visted them and didnt like them. something about them being stuck up.

Nerv
08-08-2006, 12:14 AM

because alot of people on here are in college or have had experience certian colleges.

The majority of people on this board arent to college yet. In fact, the majority of people in this thread giving him college advice are his age or possibly younger.

yodabear
08-08-2006, 12:20 AM
DUKE!

Tobzilla
08-08-2006, 12:20 AM

The majority of people on this board arent to college yet. In fact, the majority of people in this thread giving him college advice are his age or possibly younger.

...and they're saying things like "its a good wrestling school," which is far from sound advice. This is a decision that your brother and your parents should make, NOT US.

Scott Wright
08-08-2006, 12:22 AM
I'd say he should talk to counsilors and find out which school has the best program for what he wants to study.

Tobzilla
08-08-2006, 12:24 AM
I'd say he should talk to counsilors and find out which school has the best program for what he wants to study.

exactly

smittyjs
08-08-2006, 12:24 AM
Vanderbilt FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ravens1991
08-08-2006, 12:25 AM
listen to Scott Wright that is a great Idea, but the thing is with my sister who is off to college the guidance counselors acted like they didnt care, they didnt say congratulations or anything, they acted like they really didnt care. I suggest that he first decides if he wants to be close to home or venture off to a college far away.

roidrunner
08-08-2006, 12:26 AM

...and they're saying things like "its a good wrestling school," which is far from sound advice. This is a decision that your brother and your parents should make, NOT US.

we were asking for advice. we wanted to know what other people would know about the school.

MikeJones
08-08-2006, 12:27 AM
I would say Duke it has a real good math program depending on what he wants to do in Math. Duke is a real nice campus and really just a nice school in general.

Tobzilla
08-08-2006, 12:28 AM
Off of the list, Stanford or Duke are the best schools.

bearfan
08-08-2006, 12:37 AM
I'd say BC or Northwestern. I have relatives who went there/are going there. BC is a great school, great campus, and I love Boston so that's all good. NU is a great campus, real good school, and I also love Chicago, but its ridiculously cold there in the wintertime. Depends on the climate he likes, big school small school and whatever. Those are my two favorites. Plus they've got decent football teams. Or Stanford, good school and California is very nice.

PSHH. You little girl. It is not super cold, I we have kids wearing shorts in 30 degree weather here. 20 is when we start to get a little more on.

I said Vandy, I hear its a good college. And then BC,NW and Stanford would also be good choices

Namy
08-08-2006, 12:52 AM
lol there are tons of websites with rankings of various schools for particular undergraduate programs... of that list tho... it should be pretty obvious that Stanford is one of the top schools in the nation. If he can make it in there, and likes the campus/atmostphere/etc, that's the place to go. Vanderbilt, Duke, Wake Forest, and Northwestern are also great schools.

08-08-2006, 12:56 AM
Anything but UL.

I picked Stanford. Great weather. Beautiful girls. Good academic atmosphere. Great reputation.

cgrsly57
08-08-2006, 01:08 AM
If all he cares about is academics then he should go to Stanford because its the most prestigious college on that list. Not that that really means anything in the long run but he will get a better job coming out of college.

roidrunner
08-08-2006, 01:13 AM
Anything but UL.

I picked Stanford. Great weather. Beautiful girls. Good academic atmosphere. Great reputation.

whats wrong with UL???

Boston
08-08-2006, 01:15 AM

PSHH. You little girl. It is not super cold, I we have kids wearing shorts in 30 degree weather here. 20 is when we start to get a little more on.

I said Vandy, I hear its a good college. And then BC,NW and Stanford would also be good choices

PSHH. You little girl. :wink:

Paranoidmoonduck
08-08-2006, 01:23 AM
To be #2 in your class at a nice school and have the credentials to get he almost has to have above a 4.0. Because I would think he would be in a bunch of honors/AP classes and they count for more if you get an A i'm pretty sure.

His school might not the the weighted GPA thing. There are other ways to rank students.

As for where you brother should go, I'd put a lot of faith in the schools conselors, especially if the school is as good as you say. Vandy is a really nice school, as is Stanford, although if he is seriously considering the west coast he should read up on UC Berkeley, which is one of the top chemistry schools there is (also was the top ranked public school in the nation a few years back).

Truth be told, I'd but a lot of stock into which school he feels most comfortable with. He will likely get into a good school, and a degree from one is practically as good as another. Let him go to one he is excited about.

TCU
08-08-2006, 02:56 AM
I know about 10 kids who are at Vanderbilt who graduated from my school and they are all really weird for some reason everyone of them. I know its a great school i just have a weird perception of Vandy because of that.

08-08-2006, 02:57 AM
North Carolina!!

roidrunner
08-08-2006, 03:24 AM
so i take it no one likes Wake or Purdue. Any reasons why?

TCU
08-08-2006, 03:32 AM
so i take it no one likes Wake or Purdue. Any reasons why?

I know someone who recently transfered from Wake Forest, he didnt like the grading system, ive heard its weird and its either you love it or hate it.

ChiBear
08-08-2006, 06:40 AM
Northwestern.

drowe
08-08-2006, 08:16 AM
dude, it just depends on what's important to him...academics, climate, atmosphere, looseness/hotness of women. kinda hard question to answer considering we don't know a damn thing about your bro except that he's smarter than us morons.

but, the universal criteria for college picking...just go to the place where you can pound the most crotch.

Canadian_kid16
08-08-2006, 09:09 AM
I don't no much about US schools...but I picked Stanford...as I always heard it is a really smart school...and It is also in Cali...so u can;t go wring with that :wink:

elway777
08-08-2006, 09:15 AM
Stanford and Cal are real good schools.

draftguru151
08-08-2006, 10:16 AM
Vanderbilt FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exactly. Ivy league of the south.

Also I love the cold, but I refuse to go to Chicago because I don't want to freeze my arse off.

D-Unit
08-08-2006, 11:22 AM
Has he thought of MIT?

SeanTaylorRIP
08-08-2006, 11:33 AM
Has he thought of MIT?

You can't get into MIT with no 4.0

Don Vito
08-08-2006, 11:52 AM
BC!!!

Smokey Joe
08-08-2006, 02:21 PM
He only has a 4.0??? psssh, my brothers had like a 4.5 each.

08-08-2006, 02:23 PM
SCREW DUKE! GO UNC!

08-08-2006, 02:25 PM
Vandy, its a really good school. im happy no one has voted Purdue

Smokey Joe
08-08-2006, 02:27 PM
don't be dissin purdue. My uncle play football there. It was like 30 years ago though/

08-08-2006, 02:28 PM
don't be dissin purdue. My uncle play football there. It was like 30 years ago though/

i hate purdue and always will.

Smokey Joe
08-08-2006, 02:29 PM

i hate purdue and always will.
boo hoo.

rainbeaukid2
08-08-2006, 04:29 PM

he doesnt want Ivy league. He visted them and didnt like them. something about them being stuck up.

my sister went to dartmouth and she says that there were a lot of lesbos

roidrunner
08-08-2006, 07:13 PM

my sister went to dartmouth and she says that there were a lot of lesbos

:lol: :lol: :lol:

scar988
08-08-2006, 07:17 PM
So my little brother is at that time in a boys life where has to choose what college he wants to go to. but he is having trouble deciding what college he wants to go to. So i said i would help him out. So i am asking you guys. My brother has the grades to get in these schools. he just doesnt know where he wants to go. He wants to major in Math and Non organic-Chem. Let us know what you guys think. He doesnt care about the sports team very much.The Citadel.

Moses
08-08-2006, 07:21 PM
I'm sure your brother will appreciate the advice you gathered from an NFL Draft forum that is primarily populated by people 16 and under.

elway777
08-08-2006, 07:22 PM
I'm sure your brother will appreciate the advice you gathered from an NFL Draft forum that is primarily populated by people 16 and under.
My thoughts exactly :?

roidrunner
08-08-2006, 07:29 PM

that really doesnt matter, its more of that we just wanted to see what other people would do if they had to choose, what woudl they pick, and hearing why you guys like each of the schools.

Moses
08-08-2006, 07:30 PM

that really doesnt matter, its more of that we just wanted to see what other people would do if they had to choose, what woudl they pick, and hearing why you guys like each of the schools.

It's not about what we would do, it's about what your brother wants to do. Tell him to go visit the schools and research them as much as possible.

GB12
08-08-2006, 07:30 PM
My thoughts exactly :?

I doubt that this will be a major part in his decission. It's nice to get many opinions though.

draftguru151
08-08-2006, 07:55 PM
I don't know about you guys but I always come here for advice on my life, especially girls. (sarcasm)

It is just for the sake of someone else's opinion, saying why would you ask that here is pretty lame.

Moses
08-08-2006, 08:19 PM
I don't know about you guys but I always come here for advice on my life, especially girls. (sarcasm)

It is just for the sake of someone else's opinion, saying why would you ask that here is pretty lame.

Asking for advice on what university to go to is just going to be a bunch of biased opinions.

Paranoidmoonduck
08-08-2006, 08:27 PM

Asking for advice on what university to go to is just going to be a bunch of biased opinions.

Umm, well yeah. Coming to a forum expecting anything different (save a few forums I guess) is just foolish. Doesn't mean it was dumb to ask the question.

O_RLY
08-08-2006, 09:42 PM
If you're looking purely for quality of education, I would choose Stanford from that list. But you should be looking at other options as well, like California Institute of Technology, UC Berkeley, etc.

Twiddler
08-08-2006, 09:42 PM
Personally I would rely on guidance counselours and his general thoughts of the schools when meeting/contacting them but you can never go wrong with more opions. So I would have to go with the school that has the best program in what he wants to go into (don't know enough about the fancy colleges you listed to give a specific).

ATLDirtyBirds
08-08-2006, 09:43 PM
vanderbilt

derza222
08-08-2006, 11:25 PM

what a smart couple

GPA's are completely irrelevent, they're done completely differently at some schools than they are at others. For instance, my cousin is going into sophomore year of HS with a 4.5 and is second in his class, but his HS offers honors classes as a freshman and an A in an honors class is a 5 for him and an A in an AP is a 6 (for his GPA). At my HS they dont offer honors classes until sophomore year and only AP US is offered sophomore year, all other AP's are junior and senior year. An A in an honors is a 4.67 and an A in an AP is a 5.33, but kids do very well on AP tests and honors and AP classes are FAR more challenging than standard classes, whereas at his school an honors class means you have to do an extra project or get a few extra hard questions on a test. At my school you could sleep through a standard and get 100's on every test (I've done it many a time) but struggle a bit (B, B+) in an honors or an AP paying attention and studying a little bit. I'll be a senior and I have a 3.6 (I'm barely in the top quarter) but have legit SAT scores to go along with it, but if I went to his school my GPA would be well above a 4.5 and my SAT scores wouldn't be nearly as good. That's the whole purpose of SAT's and ACT's, as well as class rank, to seperate students based on how challenging schools are and how they do GPA's. If he's second in his class and got a 34 out of 36 on his ACT's, he could probably get in almost anywhere he wanted, especially if he has good extra-curriculars.

And he should look at the schools and depending on what size school he wants, how the programs he wants to go into are, class sizes, and intensity of students, and figure it out from there. If you want an opinion, Stanford is probably the best school on there from an education perspective and Duke is no slouch either, but UNC and Vandy are pretty awesome places to go from what I hear though, I'd probably go to one of those two.