PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign defensive end Nick Eason

steel man
04-17-2007, 10:49 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2840419

Steelers sign former Browns defensive end Nick Eason

terribletowel39
04-17-2007, 10:53 AM
we play the browns twice a year and i am still unsure as to who this. his size is nice but other than that. i got nothing.

DeathbyStat
04-17-2007, 11:27 AM
WOW I'm so happy

mikehop05
04-17-2007, 11:49 AM
wooooooooot.

terribletowel39
04-17-2007, 11:57 AM
alright guys are these post sarcastic or do yall know something i don't??

FLORIDA PACKER
04-17-2007, 12:00 PM
Eason is pretty much a role player, not much more. He's the guy that ditched Broncos TC a few years back.

terribletowel39
04-17-2007, 12:01 PM
Eason is pretty much a role player, not much more. He's the guy that ditched Broncos TC a few years back.

ditched as in was booted from TC or he just left??

steel man
04-17-2007, 12:01 PM
i knew he was not much more then depth, but it was news about the steelers so i posted it. that is what this board is for correct?

terribletowel39
04-17-2007, 12:06 PM
i knew he was not much more then depth, but it was news about the steelers so i posted it. that is what this board is for correct?

ya no i don't think anybody is chomping at your balls for it, i know i want to know depth or not when someone is added to the steelers. just curious as to some more info about him.

mikehop05
04-17-2007, 12:21 PM
yea i am being sarcastic, i guess they brought him in for his measurables, havea little competition in mini camps

DeathbyStat
04-17-2007, 12:28 PM
I was just joking is this guy more of a 3-4 or a 4-3 DE?

mikehop05
04-17-2007, 12:29 PM
hes a 3 - 4 DE anda 4 - 3 Tackle

richdg
04-17-2007, 12:53 PM
A waste of time move. He will be cut in training camp. Why a guy that can't start for the Browns would be brought in to help, I don't get. More money being used that could be used to resign Troy, Ben or Faneca.

NFLBOY
04-17-2007, 01:35 PM
I'm really trying my best to understand what the Steelers are trying to do, but this is getting ridiculous.

mikehop05
04-17-2007, 01:47 PM
yeah im sure we spent a lot of money on him...?

not everyone brought in is brought in to be a star, we need reserve / special teams guys...

richdg
04-17-2007, 02:30 PM
It still ties up 1 million bucks, that could be used elsewhere. Yes we need depth. That is what Nua, Bailey, Hoke, and Kischke are. That makes 7+ million in back up DLmen, and we have starters that are not signed.

JayA55
04-17-2007, 03:00 PM
We have the lowest cap space in the NFL right now, we're just above 1mil. That's a questionable move with the amount of room we have to work with IMO.

terribletowel39
04-17-2007, 03:02 PM
blah blah, i don't care how this move looks. we are one of the best run organizations in all of sports. why does it matter how it looks to us peons?? we are the fans. lets start acting like it and support them. they know what they are doing. i am tired of ppl questioning what the FO is doing all of sudden.

JayA55
04-17-2007, 04:19 PM
blah blah, i don't care how this move looks. we are one of the best run organizations in all of sports. why does it matter how it looks to us peons?? we are the fans. lets start acting like it and support them. they know what they are doing. i am tired of ppl questioning what the FO is doing all of sudden.

wow, easy lol. I wrote an article in which I ranked the top NFL GMs currently in the game and I had Colbert in my top 5, even given his short resume I still think the guy is one of the best. So, yes I very much have all the confidence in the world for our FO to continue leading this team in the right direction. Matter of fact I was going to add something along those lines to my post, but figured everyone would just see it as mere speculation, however we are in a tough situation with our roster and cap room so every move made is going to be put under microscope. As a true fan I don't have to like every move they make, but I will respect it.

terribletowel39
04-17-2007, 04:41 PM
wow, easy lol. I wrote an article in which I ranked the top NFL GMs currently in the game and I had Colbert in my top 5, even given his short resume I still think the guy is one of the best. So, yes I very much have all the confidence in the world for our FO to continue leading this team in the right direction. Matter of fact I was going to add something along those lines to my post, but figured everyone would just see it as mere speculation, however we are in a tough situation with our roster and cap room so every move made is going to be put under microscope. As a true fan I don't have to like every move they make, but I will respect it.

yea i know it just has been happening a lot lately. i guess it has been building up inside of me. my previous comment was directly typed to you. just in general and a lot of ppl once again are questioning this move. and yes i don't necessarily agree with every move they make, but i support it and as you said respect it.

i.want.troys.hair
04-17-2007, 04:49 PM
Here is a little write-up by SI about the Steelers signing Eason. I hadn't known that Bailey went to Arizona, but since he did I think that this move does make sense. I agree that the FO knows what they are doing, so Eason is most likely at least a solid back-up. Plus, if he doesn't work out then we probably only spent 500k on him.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/04/17/bc.fbn.steelers.eason.ap/index.html

More DL help from the draft will probably come, but you never know what will happen with a rookie, so you might as well sign a guy who has proven himself at least a little bit.

Mr. Stiller
04-17-2007, 07:36 PM
It still ties up 1 million bucks, that could be used elsewhere. Yes we need depth. That is what Nua, Bailey, Hoke, and Kischke are. That makes 7+ million in back up DLmen, and we have starters that are not signed.

Nua hasn't broken the PS. Bailey is in Arizona, and Kirschke is a 10-year pro with Chronic back issues. This is a camp competition thing. I'm fine with it. Eason was going to be a 1st/2nd rounder until they found out he had severe ADD.

Rich, Bailey is in Zona, and Nua hasn't made it off the PS. Kirschke is 10-11 years. If he gets cut after Camp, I don't see how we won't have the money to sign Ben/Troy/Faneca.

Mr. Stiller
04-17-2007, 07:39 PM
We have the lowest cap space in the NFL right now, we're just above 1mil. That's a questionable move with the amount of room we have to work with IMO.

Don't forget...

Could be cap casualties:

Wilson: 2+M
Tuman: 1.5M
Okobi: 1.3+M

Since we didn't ask Okobi to restructure, we have a younger, more fiesty player in Phillips, and Simmons/Mahan are battling for OC... could be that Okobi gets cut.

If we get a solid TE, Tuman could be cut.

Perhaps we're aiming at a Day 1 ready to go out of the box WR (Jason Hill) because we're looking to cut Wilson?

Thats a total of 4.8+/- M Not to mention other players I don't know about. That was just off the top of my head (I don't remember the exact figures.)

terribletowel39
04-17-2007, 07:44 PM
Nua hasn't broken the PS. Bailey is in Arizona, and Kirschke is a 10-year pro with Chronic back issues. This is a camp competition thing. I'm fine with it. Eason was going to be a 1st/2nd rounder until they found out he had severe ADD.

Rich, Bailey is in Zona, and Nua hasn't made it off the PS. Kirschke is 10-11 years. If he gets cut after Camp, I don't see how we won't have the money to sign Ben/Troy/Faneca.

did you just repeat yourself??

Mr. Stiller
04-17-2007, 07:50 PM
did you just repeat yourself??

Yea... I did.

I guess I was stressing a point.

we have "4" DE's. We're talking about having Keisel doing some LB drops and rushes, Aaron Smith was just resigned, we still have Nua who hasn't made the active Roster.

I think I was really pointing out that Bailey joined Morey in Zona...

PITTSBURGH — The Steelers signed unrestricted free agent defensive end Nick Eason to a one-year contract, the team announced today. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Eason (6-3, 305) was originally drafted by the Denver Broncos in the fourth round (114th overall) of the 2003 NFL Draft out of Clemson. He suffered a season-ending injury in training camp and spent his rookie season on the Reserve/Injured List.

In 2004, Eason was waived by the Broncos following training camp but was signed to their practice squad for three weeks. After being waived by Denver, Eason was signed to the Cleveland Browns' practice squad where he spent seven weeks before being signed to their active roster for the final five weeks of the season.

Eason spent the past two seasons on the Browns' active roster, playing in a total of 29 games during that span. He posted a career-high 23 tackles and two passes defensed in 2006 after recording his first two career sacks during the 2005 season.

Is it just me or do Shaun Nua and Brett Keisel seem identical?

http://media3.steelers.com/MediaContent/2005/09/05/12/05_Nua_Shaun_56575.jpg
PRO (0-0/0-0): Drafted in the seventh round (228th overall) by the Steelers in the 2005 NFL Draft.

http://media3.steelers.com/MediaContent/19/41/Keisel_Brett_43603.jpg
PRO (34-0/8-0) The Steelers' final draft pick in 2002, was one of the seven draft selections to make the final roster…continued to developed into a solid role player along the defensive line in 2004…grown into one of the team's top special teams players…signed a four-year contract with the Steelers during the 2006 offseason.

Hopefully Nua Developes as fast and well as Keisel (If not faster and better) and then we'll have a duo of BYU 3-4 DE's taht scare the **** out of everyone.

richdg
04-18-2007, 09:15 AM
My point is, they are signing "camp" players , when we should be focused on our starters. Yes, if he gets cut in camp, it doesn't effect our cap. Other than any bonus money. Wilson, Mahan, Tuman, Okabi, Simmons, Clark, Eason, Hoke, and Townsend combine for a ton of money, about 16 million. None of these guys are good NFL starting players. Would you rather have that group or the group of Faneca, Ben, Troy, A. Smith, and Porter?

PittPete
04-18-2007, 10:40 AM
Again, we're stocking up with other teams rejects because of the poor production of our recent mid to late round drafts. I hope we do better this draft.

Mr. Stiller
04-18-2007, 12:51 PM
My point is, they are signing "camp" players , when we should be focused on our starters. Yes, if he gets cut in camp, it doesn't effect our cap. Other than any bonus money. Wilson, Mahan, Tuman, Okabi, Simmons, Clark, Eason, Hoke, and Townsend combine for a ton of money, about 16 million. None of these guys are good NFL starting players. Would you rather have that group or the group of Faneca, Ben, Troy, A. Smith, and Porter?

I beg to differ on Okobi, Townsend and Hoke.

Wilson we could cut for Hill, Mahan could be a solid RG (Better than Simmons so improvement there), Tuman I'd drop for Pudewell, Simmons was still a valid part of a superbowl team.

Okobi in limited chances has shown potential and last season The oline IMO Played better with Okobi in over Hartings.

Townsend is an expensive vet, but if he's such a bad player and the likes, he wouldn't have won a starting spot for the last how many years..

And don't forget Hoke, albeit not Casey Hampton good, was a solid reason why we went 15-1 Bens rookie season. He's not near the run stuffer Big Snack is, but he did a damn good job.

I agree with your assessment of the aging veterans, I'd like to get rid of Okobi, Tuman, Wilson and Simmons(Last year on contract). Which is what I think the new regime will do... Drafting a day 1 WR this year means the days are numbered for Wilson... a TE period could spell imminent departure for Tuman.. and With Simmons/Mahan competing for Center... Okobi hasn't been asked to restructure.. so he's likely gone.

Nick Eason has potential to be damn good, it's just a matter of the light going on and us using him right. He's a much better 3-4 DE than Rodney Bailey. I think this is just a safety signing in case we don't get a 3-4 DE we like.

As much as people are worried about Faneca/Ben/Troy, we have the money to sign them.