PDA

View Full Version : lions love adams most?

jbombul
04-17-2007, 01:15 PM
http://blog.mlive.com/highlightreel/2007/04/schefter_lions_thought_to_be_m.html

Adam Schefter of NFL.com lists who the Lions will be meetin with this week, and says they're thought to be most interested in Gaines Adams.

April 12, NFL.com: The Lions already are doing their due diligence. Johnson visited the Lions this week, and the activity will intensify next week.

Quinn is scheduled to visit with the Lions on April 18, Thomas will follow him up on April 19, and Adams will visit at some point.

Adams is thought to be the player the Lions are most enamored of and the player who just might fill their greatest need. Detroit believes it needs a defensive end more than it needs a quarterback and an offensive tackle.

But it also is going to be hard for the Lions to pass up a potential franchise quarterback or left tackle who could keep him upright for the next dozen years.

i hope this is a small smokescreen where Tampa belives we will select adams and won't trade with us, and then we pull the trigger on CJ and force a trade. Show them whose calling the shots

Notredameleo
04-17-2007, 01:53 PM
I love the idea of taking CJ and forcing TB's or Atl's hand, and even if we dont trade him, we have a great player.

dreadedluck
04-17-2007, 04:49 PM
Get the feeling that the Lions, mostly Millen is trying to turn the team around for next year only, the future seems no concern of his. I am frankly scared of Gaines Adams because he is alot like Kalimba Edwards. When you look back at the strengths and weakness of Edwards they mirror Adams. That is pretty scary. Same frame same potential speed rush, same frustrations when first move doesnt work, same sloppiness in the later parts of the game. Marinelli may be a defensive coach, which i havent seen, but he has not improved Edwards game at all.

CJ, and then trade, interesting concept but you are not only forcing the other guys hand but also your own. If we go offense with 2 we better go with the future and that of course would be Quinn, the guy everyone outside of Detroit thinks we should take.

No one in the draft is going to save the season next year for the Lions, we are almost a dozen positions short of playoff potential. So it would be best to build from the top and really start over, cause this patch work stuff is more then ignorant, it's Millenism.

Thomas7399
04-17-2007, 05:43 PM
I love the idea of taking CJ and forcing TB's or Atl's hand, and even if we dont trade him, we have a great player.

^^^^I agree

WMD
04-17-2007, 10:01 PM
I like the idea of drafting Gaines Adams because of what he can become.. Personally, I don't think he's the kind of DE you'd draft #2 Overall.

reinar
04-17-2007, 11:01 PM
I think that we have to trade down to get Willis then use the 2nd round (after gaining 1-3 additional picks, in various rounds) to pick up our #3-6 DE (its a very deep DE class, and not a huge dropoff on any of them. Carriker/Abiamiri are good possibles at top of 2nd, especially if we pass on Adams with trades down that are not looking at adams. he would end up going in the 4-8 range after (russell, peterson, quinn, johnson, thomas) not necesarrily in that order. that makes adams a 5th-10th pick, as the first DE, where he contends wth Landry, Hall, Willis rounding out your top 9 picks.

that fills our MLB with a great prospect in Willis who can step in and play, making an immediate impact (aka sims last year), and then 2nd round, possibly both CB and DE filled, though I am not so sure Lions are after another CB, though I think they need one, since fisher is already listed as 3rd CB. I would hate to take a guy that was just battling for the nickel position in the 2nd round.

WMD
04-18-2007, 01:44 AM
I doubt Carriker makes it even past #20 in the First Round.

I'd love to have a Round 1 & 2 that gave us Willis, Meriwather, and Abiamiri.. That's what I want the most..

Addict
04-18-2007, 02:39 AM
I like the idea of drafting Gaines Adams because of what he can become.. Personally, I don't think he's the kind of DE you'd draft #2 Overall.

I agree, he's good and has a high ceiling but he's not a top 3 pick. he should go in the 4-7 range.

reinar
04-18-2007, 03:40 AM
WMD, I could get on that bus. good 3 picks, fills needs, and makes us formidable on D.

Addict
04-18-2007, 07:09 AM
WMD, I could get on that bus. good 3 picks, fills needs, and makes us formidable on D.

hop in!

http://www.priz.co.uk/build/lego/london.bus.front.jpg

jbombul
04-18-2007, 12:26 PM
I doubt Carriker makes it even past #20 in the First Round...

i tell him that all the time he doesnt listen he has like 1st round talent going in the fifth round of his mock

reinar
04-19-2007, 12:19 AM
my draft? i tried not to have 1st round talen going in the 5th. but I also tried to really address team needs, cause that is how I would draft, vs BPA. I think that filling a need is more important than getting another BPA in a position that you dont need.

for instance, if quinn or Russell are still on the board at #5, should the Cards take them acuse they are one of the last 5 elite players left? (BPA?)

LionSmack
04-19-2007, 08:31 AM
If the Lions trade down at all, then Adams is fine. If they take him with #2 overall, there's a good chance they will get Mario Williams-level bad press and fan reaction out of it. And Adams isn't even as good as Mario.

Addict
04-19-2007, 10:24 AM
If the Lions trade down at all, then Adams is fine. If they take him with #2 overall, there's a good chance they will get Mario Williams-level bad press and fan reaction out of it. And Adams isn't even as good as Mario.

I think it was IAC who said Adams is a better player as of now, Williams had a higher ceiling.

Iamcanadian
04-19-2007, 10:46 AM
I think it was IAC who said Adams is a better player as of now, Williams had a higher ceiling.

Adams suits a Cover 2 defense way better than Williams. The NFL has become a league where the offensive and defensive system your team is committed to demands a whole different draft board for each type of team. Adams may only be the #6 or #7 prospect in the draft because basic 4-3 teams don't necessarily see him as being able to be stout against the run but a Cover 2 defensive team which doesn't ask its DE's to be stout against the run but to attack the gaps may have Adams ranked a lot higher, at least in the top 5. So if we cannot trade down with Tampa should Oakland draft Johnson, then Adams becomes a very reasonable and likely pick at #2.
Draft rankings have become very suspect in recent years because there is so much variance in team styles that a player like Williams may be absolutely loved by a basic 4-3 team and by a 3-4 team and absolutely hated by a Cover 2 team. Even QB's have systems they fit in and systems that are not suited for them. Denver must have a mobile QB to get away with a small OL and Atlanta falls into that catagory while Oakland would love a Russell with his powerful arm to play in their vertical offense. WCO's also require a certain type of QB. It has all made ranking players extremely difficult and you can bet money on the fact that Detroit, Tampa, Indy and Chicago will have a completely different defensive rankings from say, Pittsburgh, New England, Philly, Washington and Seattle. The NFL has become a very specialized league.

How important are DLmen:

http://nfl.com/draft/analysis/expert/brandt/dl

ESimsfan87
04-19-2007, 05:29 PM
Hey I'm new here but I wanted to get my two cents in on Gaines Adams...

Adams has a explosive first step that is near impossible to teach. Marinelli and the cover 2 are the ultimate fit for him. While he might not have the dominating, freak like qualities of Peppers, he is definitely the most ready defensive end since Peppers in my opinion and that includes the strong class of 05 featuring DeMarcus Ware. The Lions defense under Donnie Henderson featured little to no blitz or pressure making it a field day. While Adams will make it difficult for Quarterbacks the most impressive quality he brings to a d-line is his pass blocking style, thus providing more help to the weak secondary.

reinar
04-21-2007, 04:28 AM
so in the ultimate, would you rather have young rookie Adams, or Simeon Rice at starting DE this coming year?