PDA

View Full Version : trading down

pocketaces
04-17-2007, 02:00 PM
In Scotts latest mock if we were to trade out of the first and get multible 2nd round picks we would have alot to choose from. Dwayne Jarrett, Aaron Ross, Justin Blalock, Anthony Gonzales, Steve Smith, Markus McCauley, DeMarkus Tyler, Tony Ugoh, and even D's boy Dameion Hughes. Looks like alot of value and a good reason to trade down. What do you guys think? Trade down or stay put?

M.O.T.H.
04-17-2007, 02:20 PM
Being set at nearly every position isnt fun come draft time. Normally this is so much easier than it has been. I dont know where we go with the pick. I have such a liking for our young WRs (Hurd/Austin) that I dont want us to go Wideout, I'm a big fan of Pat Watkins and his incredible measurables so safety is out, We have too much money invested in ILB and i want to see Carp given every opportunity to succeed as a pass rush OLB... so LB is out for me. So, I guess the position that makes the most sense for me is either staying put and draft a CB for the future (Chris Houston) or trade out of the first, perhaps getting a first next season (no so sure I'm up for that... not after passing up the chance to draft Steven Jackson) and maybe taking a CB/DT in the 2nd.

LSUALUM99
04-17-2007, 04:31 PM
I would like to stay put and draft the top CB available, but trading out of the first to pick up a second and first for next year sounds good to me (that was the deal we made with Buffalo last time, this years 1st for this years second and next years first).

thule
04-17-2007, 04:33 PM
I would also be in the category of moving down for a future pick and another 2nd rounder.

robert_in_bigd
04-18-2007, 09:22 AM
Moving down would be smart. 2nd and 3rd rounders have almost as good a shot as being superstars as 1st rounders abd all of them know they make the teams as backups and special teams. No prima donnas there.

I like the idea of trading down for a TWO and picking up a ONE next year.

A team with need for a WR or CB may be interested .... it seems that at 22 we are on the bubble for getting a top tier corner or wide out. All the other positions for top tier players are all tapped out (OT, QB, RB, Safety etc).

HEISMANHERSCHEL
04-18-2007, 11:31 AM
I like trading up for Branch, or trading down. I think staying at 22 is stupid.

As far as being on the bubble, I was thinking we could still get a great wr or cb prospect in the early second. Both cb and wr seem deep to me this year.

Im_a_Romosexual
04-18-2007, 12:05 PM
I hope we trade down and pick up a first next year.

FinChase
04-18-2007, 12:47 PM
Trading down is great, but you've got to find a trading partner first. Every team on the board is probably thinking the same thing.

bigbluedefense
04-18-2007, 12:49 PM
Trading down is not gonna be easy. Everyone wants multiple round 2 picks this year. You need a partner in crime to do it, and right now, nobody wants to move up to get a guy, they rather all just move back and get more picks.

So its not gonna be easy to pull off. Most scouts say that this is a round 2/3 draft. You want as much firepower as you can get in those rounds, because thats where alot of talent is projected at.

Thats why everyone is trying to shop their picks, but no one is budging. The only chance you have is if someone gets a hard on for a certain talent in the draft and makes a trade for him. Thats not gonna be easy though, usually its the teams that pick in the teens that have this leverage. In the 20s...not so much.

bigbluedefense
04-18-2007, 12:50 PM
Trading down is great, but you've got to find a trading partner first. Every team on the board is probably thinking the same thing.

took the words right out of my mouth.

nrcirc
04-18-2007, 01:31 PM
"Mickey: In 2004, the Cowboys traded the 22nd pick (hmmm) in the first round to Buffalo for the Bills' second-rounder in 2004 (43rd pick), fifth-rounder (144th pick) and their first-round pick in 2005, which ended up being the 20th pick. So essentially, the two teams swapped first-round picks, and the Cowboys picked up a second and a fifth for their trouble. The Bills drafted quarterback J.P. Losman, and the Cowboys ended up with Julius Jones, Sean Ryan and Marcus Spears. As for the possibility of trading out of the first round again, that will depend on what's left on the board when their pick comes around and if they can find a dance partner. But I'd say it's not out of the question, especially if there isn't a sure-fire rookie-year starter for them still there. But you don't want to go too far into the second, like no further than the 10th pick in that round. The chart says, if you trade the 22nd pick in the first round for, say, the fifth pick in the second, the difference is worth at least another second and at the very least a top-five pick in the third."

It does not add it for me. How the chart work?

thule
04-18-2007, 01:37 PM
Future picks are valued as a round lower. Thus a 2008 first rounder is roughly valued at that pick in the 2nd round. If that makes any sense.

robert_in_bigd
04-18-2007, 01:45 PM
Every trade requires a counter party thinking they got value from it. IMHO really no need to mention it unless the proposal is outrageous... Julius Jones + Our 1 for Calvin Johnson!!!!!!!!......... which I have heard proposed and worse yet debated.

thule
04-18-2007, 02:39 PM
I've read three different articles today that talked about us trading down when predicting our draft. Matt Mosley's article is one that really stuck.

I would also like to point out we are in a good trade down position. OT and WR will have good value from what we can expect. At 23 KC is more than likely going to go that direction...so I team who wants a certain guy will be calling us.

I'm not saying we have to move down...but reports/history/position all point to a good possibility of us moving down.

M.O.T.H.
04-18-2007, 02:54 PM
I've read three different articles today that talked about us trading down when predicting our draft. Matt Mosley's article is one that really stuck.

I would also like to point out we are in a good trade down position. OT and WR will have good value from what we can expect. At 23 KC is more than likely going to go that direction...so I team who wants a certain guy will be calling us.

I'm not saying we have to move down...but reports/history/position all point to a good possibility of us moving down.

Perhaps the Ravens would be interested in moving up or just picking up another pick to draft... Joe Staley if he's still available at our pick.

robert_in_bigd
04-18-2007, 03:18 PM

To me there a few guys possibly at 22 that wil not be there by late first .. they are ......

1 Staley
2 Houston
3 Revis
4 Meachem
5 Jarrett
6 Bowe
7 Ugoh

I think there are few teams that are young who could use quality (better player) over depth (more picks)

1 Buffalo (CB and WR)
2 Houston (CB)
3 49ers (WR)
4 Falcons (WR)
5 Cleveland (Tackle or CB)

The one already good, mature team also desperate for talent that actually has some to trade bait is Baltimore. They need a WR or Tackle who can play now. I can imagine a Boller plus late 1 for our 1 in order to allow Baltimore to go Jarret + Ugoh or similar.

But I don't get paid to work the phones.