PDA

View Full Version : Old Board vs. New Board

art vandelay
04-17-2007, 04:48 PM
Alright, I think it's been a substantial amount of time to debate the old board vs. the new board.

It really is obvious to me and I go with the new one. No more "thread doesn't exist" and the team boards are big plus. The only thing that I miss are the avatars from the old board.

What are everyone's thoughts?

Vince Lombardi
04-17-2007, 04:49 PM
they are both fine

gbpackers0065
04-17-2007, 04:51 PM
at first i didnt like this one but when they worked out the kinks it became better

thule
Agree with everything you said Art.

I"m a fan of the new board but it does have its drawbacks.

the 4 picture post rule
the no img tag click
and the one image in your signature

bsaza2358
I love the new board features. We don't have to prune old posts, the archives are all still there, and the quick reply function saves me tons of time. I love the new team boards, and I think the rep system is really working well. The user options are very nice, and I think site traffic and member retention is better as a result. I'm quite happy to sacrifice avatars for all of the other benefits.

bsaza2358
04-17-2007, 04:53 PM
There is little reason to have more than 1 image in your sig. Your sig should be your sig. Things were getting too cumbersome with the old board. Part of the reason we had so many problems were the large sig and avatar sizes. I would like them to add back the buttons for vbcode, but I can live without it.

gbpackers0065
04-17-2007, 04:53 PM

yea darniks team bars were awesome

Philliez01
04-17-2007, 04:54 PM
I love the new board. We do not get the ultra - creepy, "message=DIE that is not supposed to happen. . . ." or the "404 errors". This board is much smoother and I do think the karma system has cut back on the spam posters (but not all of course).

This board did everything it was supposed to for me, get rid of the downtime and even cut down the spam due to rep.

thule
04-17-2007, 04:55 PM
There is little reason to have more than 1 image in your sig. Your sig should be your sig. Things were getting too cumbersome with the old board. Part of the reason we had so many problems were the large sig and avatar sizes. I would like them to add back the buttons for vbcode, but I can live without it.

I wasn't really talking about multiple sigs. But linking multiple images into one image outweighs its worth 99% of the time.

jets future
04-17-2007, 04:55 PM
old school. back in the days was the forums golden age. well i like the other forum better, cus theres this stupid rep system, olny mods have avatars, olny one image in signatures, and all these codes to remeber when you have to put images, and links. and there is no smiles.
old school was way better

bsaza2358
04-17-2007, 04:56 PM
I wasn't really talking about multiple sigs. But linking multiple images into one image outweighs its worth 99% of the time.

That is a very fair point. I misinterpreted, and I apologize.

gbpackers0065
04-17-2007, 04:57 PM
old school. back in the days was the forums golden age. well i like the other forum better, cus theres this stupid rep system, olny mods have avatars, olny one image in signatures, and all these codes to remeber when you have to put images, and links. and there is no smiles.

someone's cranky about his red bar

SeanTaylorRIP
04-17-2007, 04:57 PM

There are smilies. http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/images/icons/icon1.gifhttp://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/images/icons/icon13.gif
etc.

thule
04-17-2007, 04:58 PM
That is a very fair point. I misinterpreted, and I apologize.

I understand.

Actually to tell you the truth the thing I miss most about the old forums was the family type atmosphere...that lost some of its luster with the new forum.

bsaza2358
04-17-2007, 05:00 PM
We are getting it back. We all had an adjustment, but it will come around. I remember when the Eagles first moved into The Linc, the stadium felt foreign and new and such. People were sitting apart from their old friends, and some people left. However, after a short while, the regulars made it their own again.

We are in the same place here. We have more members, but the old school members are still close. The forum was bound to grow due to its overall success. Trust me, I wouldn't stay if it wasn't worth it...

draftguru151
04-17-2007, 05:04 PM
The other one. This one is ok, but other than the fact that it doesn't die (which is very nice), I still liked the old board much more.

comahan
04-17-2007, 05:05 PM
I prefer phpBB.

jets future
04-17-2007, 05:12 PM
There are smilies. http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/images/icons/icon1.gifhttp://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/images/icons/icon13.gif
etc.

but those smileys are wack. i miss the ones with more emotion like roll eyes, and laughing, and rhose ones.

Ward
04-17-2007, 05:41 PM
Agree with everything you said Art.

I"m a fan of the new board but it does have its drawbacks.

the 4 picture post rule
the no img tag click

The 4 picture post isn't a rule, it's a feature I haven't figured out how to change yet. It's not there to punish anyone. It'll change as soon as I figure it out. It goes without saying that the admin features are much more complex on this board, and it can be tough finding all the little tweaks like that.

I'm not sure what you mean by no img tag click. Unless you're talking about something else, if you click the Insert Image button that looks like a mountain with a yellow background in your post button panel then you're right there.

jagsfreak27
04-17-2007, 05:42 PM
old school was way better I agree I miss he old threads.

someone447
04-17-2007, 05:45 PM
The 4 picture post isn't a rule, it's a feature I haven't figured out how to change yet. It's not there to punish anyone. It'll change as soon as I figure it out. It goes without saying that the admin features are much more complex on this board, and it can be tough finding all the little tweaks like that.

I'm not sure what you mean by no img tag click. Unless you're talking about something else, if you click the Insert Image button that looks like a mountain with a yellow background in your post button panel then you're right there.

You have to go to your user cp and change it. User CP->Edit Options then you go to the very bottom of the page and change Misc Options and you change the basic editor to the standard editor than you have all the image and link buttons.

Go_Eagles77
04-17-2007, 05:57 PM
I wish we could delete posts (or am I missing something)

Other than that it's much better.

Vikes99ej
04-17-2007, 06:05 PM
I love this board. It is lightyears ahead of the old one. The rep just makes it awesome.

gbpackers0065
04-17-2007, 06:06 PM
but those smileys are wack. i miss the ones with more emotion like roll eyes, and laughing, and rhose ones.

these are fine

Ward
04-17-2007, 06:07 PM
I wish we could delete posts (or am I missing something)

Other than that it's much better.

You guys have never been able to delete posts, with rare exception.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
04-17-2007, 06:08 PM
keak was always a laugh on the old boards. would be nice to have him back talking about Mo Jones-Drew and argueing with other people

Go_Eagles77
04-17-2007, 06:08 PM

Really? I thought we were able on the old board.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
04-17-2007, 06:09 PM
The only thing better about this one IMO is the Team Boards. I liked the old ones better, but I'm used to this one.

scottyboy
04-17-2007, 06:12 PM
I love this board. It is lightyears ahead of the old one. The rep just makes it awesome.

hmmm your 3 bars may be an indicator of why you think the rep is awesome :)

DChess
04-17-2007, 06:17 PM
i really want avatars to come back

thule
04-17-2007, 06:17 PM

Actually we were able to delete our posts as long as our message wasn't quoted and it was within a certain amount of time. While we are on that subject...not being able to edit your topic title also gets a tad annoying...but this are minor complaints that I really don't care much about.

Vikes99ej
04-17-2007, 06:19 PM
hmmm your 3 bars may be an indicator of why you think the rep is awesome :)

I just think it's fun to keep track of.

Go_Eagles77
04-17-2007, 06:19 PM
Actually we were able to delete our posts as long as our message wasn't quoted and it was within a certain amount of time. While we are on that subject...not being able to edit your topic title also gets a tad annoying...but this are minor complaints that I really don't care much about.

I agree, I only really cared today when a link I posted didn't work. I would've just liked to delete it but it's no big deal.

Ward
04-17-2007, 06:22 PM

Are you talking about something other than doing Edit > Advanced Options > and then changing the title?

cardsalltheway
04-17-2007, 06:24 PM
Are you talking about something other than doing Edit > Advanced Options > and then changing the title?

That only edits the title of the post, not the thread

thule
04-17-2007, 06:27 PM

Holy buckets batman...I just learned something new.

Caddy
04-17-2007, 06:33 PM
I'm a fan of the new boards. They just seem a lot more structured and organised than the old boards and those error messages were really annoying.

neko4
04-17-2007, 06:34 PM
OldBoard Postives
Edit titles
Delete Posts?

Negatives
Page does not exist or whatever it was
Lots of small probs
No sub-boards

New Board Positives
no errors like old one
Sub boards
Rep System(some may disagree)
Were people always able to see what posts got infractions?

Negatives
Everything said on the old board positives doesnt seem to exist here

Jensen
04-17-2007, 06:36 PM
I like the new board better now that we've gotten used to it.

Jimmy
04-17-2007, 06:40 PM
keak was always a laugh on the old boards. would be nice to have him back talking about Mo Jones-Drew and argueing with other people

i voted the old board, because of avitars, and cause keak was hysterical4

thule
04-17-2007, 06:41 PM
i voted the old board, because of avitars, and cause keak was hysterical4

Keak was also one of those posters who ruined the boards at times. The similarities between him and danman were quite similar. I really don't miss either of them.

Jimmy
04-17-2007, 06:46 PM
Keak was also one of those posters who ruined the boards at times. The similarities between him and danman were quite similar. I really don't miss either of them.

true, he DEFINATELY got mad at me more than a fair share of times, but he was just so funny

Jimmy
04-17-2007, 06:46 PM
and to be honest, i never liked danman.. he wasnt that funny IMO, just a troll

RoyHall#1
04-17-2007, 06:48 PM
Why did keak leave?

Jimmy
04-17-2007, 06:57 PM
Why did keak leave?

for numerous, numerous.. like were talking several dozens of things like this
one of my favorites was when chris posted a picture of himself and keak told him he looked like carrot top with down's syndrome. might sound mean...but the guy really did look like carrot top with down's syndrome.

so funny.. but he did tend to get a little crazy

cardsalltheway
04-17-2007, 06:58 PM

I don't remember Danman ever being funny, just yelling at everyone who ever disagreed with him.

RoyHall#1
04-17-2007, 06:59 PM
So, he got booted off?

Paranoidmoonduck
04-17-2007, 08:54 PM
Rep is kinda silly and probably causes more drama than it's worth, but I like the features of the new site. That, of course, has all to do with the objective features and not the quality of the posts.

That said, I dislike the lack of avatars. I find it depressing.

Jimmy
04-17-2007, 08:57 PM
So, he got booted off?

He had numerous suspensions which ultimately led to him sort of having a strike system, (scott gave him a last chance) which of course being the clown he is... he swung away so to speak

frogstomp
04-17-2007, 09:18 PM
I miss avatars. Other than that, I don't really care about anything. Literally.

I'm going to go pop some pills.

BuckNaked
04-17-2007, 09:32 PM
I miss avatars. Other than that, I don't really care about anything. Literally.

I'm going to go pop some pills.

I want to see the Elisha avatar so bad that it hurts sometimes.