PDA

View Full Version : QB 1st RD ?!?!?!?!??!?!?!??!

ChefMike
04-18-2007, 01:31 PM
Ok Ozzie was quoted as saying "There could be a QB that the Team would draft at #29" I hope we arent thinking of going QB in the 1st and this is just positioning by Ozzie to maybe have the Lions or the Browns or another Team at the Top of the 2nd rd that wants to draft Stanton or Edwards. Maybe we are trying to pick up another 2nd or get back a 3rd and another 2nd day pick...

I would love to see us have two 2nd rd picks we could really get a couple of great OL prospects in the 2nd and not have to pay 1st rd money and save cap room since we are trying to lock up T-Sizzle before the draft...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/scorecard/04/18/nfl.truth.rumors/index.html

BigDawg819
04-18-2007, 01:35 PM
I'm sure that its just a pre-draft ploy to generate some interest in the pick but with Ozzie you never know who he's going to pick until they read the card. As for the money you mentioned about the first round pick, the 29th pick won't exactly break the bank there so I'd not worry about that contract in terms of being a hinderance in re-signing Suggs. Besides I don't see any QB out there thats worth a 1st round pick other then Russell, who's overrated to begin with, or Quinn.

EdReedUnstoppable
04-18-2007, 01:39 PM
If we can't resign Suggs and we end up losing him to FA then thats 1 more negative to chalk up on the McGahee board.

Ravens1991
04-18-2007, 01:41 PM
true, If we dont get Suggs because of McGahee or McNair or somebody else I wont be the happiest camper.

EdReedUnstoppable
04-18-2007, 01:44 PM
true, If we dont get Suggs because of McGahee or McNair or somebody else I wont be the happiest camper.

Understatement of the year!!!

I'd much rather have Suggs longterm and Pittman or Irons as our RB, then McGahee longterm and some DE not named Terrell Suggs!

ChefMike
04-18-2007, 01:45 PM
No they won't break the bank... but still the difference is still significant between the money we will pay to a 1st rd to our 2nd rd pick. We are close to the cap and we still need to bring in another vet for the OL I think as a back up. I do think that all this talk of a QB will lead us to picking a QB in the 4th or 5th...just seems like we are not going to resign Kyle Boller and I think that is a bad choice. He will go somewhere and make a solid QB that will start and be a serviceable QB, he will end up somewhere like Minnesota or Cleveland or something like that and will help them make it to the playoffs and we will be stuck with Drew Olsen or another rookie...and then we going to have to trade for someone like McNair again !

Ravens1991
04-18-2007, 01:46 PM
I agree Suggs is such a beast and perfect for our system.

EdReedUnstoppable
04-18-2007, 01:51 PM
No they won't break the bank... but still the difference is still significant between the money we will pay to a 1st rd to our 2nd rd pick. We are close to the cap and we still need to bring in another vet for the OL I think as a back up. I do think that all this talk of a QB will lead us to picking a QB in the 4th or 5th...just seems like we are not going to resign Kyle Boller and I think that is a bad choice. He will go somewhere and make a solid QB that will start and be a serviceable QB, he will end up somewhere like Minnesota or Cleveland or something like that and will help them make it to the playoffs and we will be stuck with Drew Olsen or another rookie...and then we going to have to trade for someone like McNair again !

DEAR GOD NO!!! No more QBs who can't throw please!!!

BigDawg819
04-18-2007, 01:53 PM

Yup we will be starting Jeff Garcia in his 40's at QB.

bigbluedefense
04-18-2007, 01:54 PM
Terrell Suggs is so underappreciated. He's better than both Ware and Merriman right now (until Merriman can prove himself after the roids). But he gets maybe 20% of the pub.

Thats bullcrap.

ChefMike
04-18-2007, 01:57 PM

HA HA HA HA I am not saying I don't like McNair everyone already knows that I am a fan....BUT I don't want to have to keep trading for a QB instead of drafting one and grooming him through the system or getting a Blue Chipper like a Russell or a Quinn that already has a lot of Tools they just need to learn our system or we can build a more advanced system around them....

If we wait til next year and resign McNair as a Back up here in Baltimore but give him the chance to win the job in training camp then draft someone in the 1st rd like a Colt Brennan I think we will get a stud and someone that can make us all forget of the woeful QB play we have had here since Testaverde left !

Ravens1991
04-18-2007, 01:57 PM
Terrell Suggs is so underappreciated. He's better than both Ware and Merriman right now (until Merriman can prove himself after the roids). But he gets maybe 20% of the pub.

Thats bullcrap.

I agree, he could finally get in a 3-4 this year and did well. He can rush the passer and cover well. I think he wasnt getting enough credit for him being a 4-3 DE in his career earlier.

BigDawg819
04-18-2007, 01:59 PM

Thats bullcrap.

BBD, as usual brilliant analysis and post good sir. Suggs is a hell of a player but more importantly has become an all-around hybrid player and a team player. He doesn't want nor yearn for the camera and when he does get interviewed he's always giving the credit to his teammates for his success.

bigbluedefense
04-18-2007, 02:12 PM
Oh definately. He's a better pure DE than both Ware and Merriman, he's better than Merriman in coverage, equal to Ware (maybe slight edge to Ware), equal to Ware in run stuffing and better than Merriman in that regards, and he's a better pass rusher than Ware (not Merriman, but let's see Shawne without the roids).

And unlike Ware and Merriman, Suggs body can hold up for an entire game as a full time DE. He's a more complete hybrid player than both of them.

And he can play both DE positions, and both OLB positions.

T Sizzle is the man. I was hoping the Giants got him in that draft. Great talent who gets overshadowed unfairly.

EdReedUnstoppable
04-18-2007, 02:15 PM
Yup we will be starting Jeff Garcia in his 40's at QB.

There is a difference though, Garcia will still be able to throw the ball, where as McNair's arm has completely disappeared.

ChefMike
04-18-2007, 02:18 PM
BBD, as usual brilliant analysis and post good sir. Suggs is a hell of a player but more importantly has become an all-around hybrid player and a team player. He doesn't want nor yearn for the camera and when he does get interviewed he's always giving the credit to his teammates for his success.

I don't think anyone will doubt that Suggs is a stud but what about our QB situation.. Ozzie and Brian will never let the Defense fall apart...

That is our heart and soul and Suggs is a critical part of the future along with Bart and Ed Reed and Ngata.

I am still a little nervous with the Ozzie QB comment. He generally has never been the guy to put up smoke clouds, he is a straight shooter with his public comments. He usuaully comes through 100% on what he lets the media hear about whats goin on in the front office. Very few rumors come out and they don't happen almost to the T. Trades, FA Signings, contract extentions, draft picks, etc. So him saying there is a QB in the 1st rd he could see taking at #29 is that guy Kolb ? Trent Edwards ? Drew Stanton ? I don't see any of them as 1st rd talent... 2nd at best and Kolb I see as a 3rd Guy at best.

bigbluedefense
04-18-2007, 02:20 PM
I don't think anyone will doubt that Suggs is a stud but what about our QB situation.. Ozzie and Brian will never let the Defense fall apart...

That is our heart and soul and Suggs is a critical part of the future along with Bart and Ed Reed and Ngata.

I am still a little nervous with the Ozzie QB comment. He generally has never been the guy to put up smoke clouds, he is a straight shooter with his public comments. He usuaully comes through 100% on what he lets the media hear about whats goin on in the front office. Very few rumors come out and they don't happen almost to the T. Trades, FA Signings, contract extentions, draft picks, etc. So him saying there is a QB in the 1st rd he could see taking at #29 is that guy Kolb ? Trent Edwards ? Drew Stanton ? I don't see any of them as 1st rd talent... 2nd at best and Kolb I see as a 3rd Guy at best.

Does he reach for John Beck? Beck's stock has risen to round 2 in some sites.

I like Beck. Next to Quinn, I have Beck as the 2nd best qb in this draft.

Yup...ahead of Russell.

BigDawg819
04-18-2007, 02:25 PM
Does he reach for John Beck? Beck's stock has risen to round 2 in some sites.

I like Beck. Next to Quinn, I have Beck as the 2nd best qb in this draft.

Yup...ahead of Russell.

WHAT?????!!!!! You mean you're not buying into the hype that is JaMarcus Russell after his performance at the Sugar Bowl. I mean he torches an average Notre Dame defense in that game and all of a sudden he's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I applaud you sir for seeing through the hype!

Ravens1991
04-18-2007, 02:27 PM
I was thinking maybe Trent Edwards but I think it is a smoke screen.

BigDawg819
04-18-2007, 02:27 PM
There is a difference though, Garcia will still be able to throw the ball, where as McNair's arm has completely disappeared.

That's it, bring back Vinny! :D

BigDawg819
04-18-2007, 02:29 PM
I was thinking maybe Trent Edwards but I think it is a smoke screen.

Well apparently Rick Neuheisel is enamored with Trent Edwards so it may not be such a stretch if he's that high on the big board. Chef I sense a bit of uneasiness with Ozzie when it comes to this draft and quite frankly I don't understand why.

bigbluedefense
04-18-2007, 02:30 PM
WHAT?????!!!!! You mean you're not buying into the hype that is JaMarcus Russell after his performance at the Sugar Bowl. I mean he torches an average Notre Dame defense in that game and all of a sudden he's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I applaud you sir for seeing through the hype!

Never been a fan of his. He routinely makes the wrong read, has poor mechanics, and is less NFL ready than Vince Young as a pure passer.

On top of that he doesn't have the mobility of Young.

So he can throw it 80 yards, big deal.

Show me an 80 yard route in the NFL.

And if you find one, I'll show you an overload blitz package that will make sure it never develops.

I think Ozzie is eyeing Stanton. Stanton is a boom or bust type to me. Risky.

BigDawg819
04-18-2007, 02:35 PM
Never been a fan of his. He routinely makes the wrong read, has poor mechanics, and is less NFL ready than Vince Young as a pure passer.

On top of that he doesn't have the mobility of Young.

So he can throw it 80 yards, big deal.

Show me an 80 yard route in the NFL.

And if you find one, I'll show you an overload blitz package that will make sure it never develops.

I think Ozzie is eyeing Stanton. Stanton is a boom or bust type to me. Risky.

I couldn't have described Russell's flaws better myself. As for Stanton, I am also enamored with him and see great potential for him to succeed in the NFL, but as you stated he probably is a boom or bust QB. He had a solid career at Michigan State so that will suit him in his NFL career, hopefully he works hard and pays attention so as to be successful personally and more importantly for his new team.

EdReedUnstoppable
04-18-2007, 04:21 PM

Russell is by far the best QB in this draft, hence the reason for the hype. Not to mention he is huge and has an amazing arm!

BigDawg819
04-18-2007, 04:24 PM
Russell is by far the best QB in this draft, hence the reason for the hype. Not to mention he is huge and has an amazing arm!

Game film don't lie there buddy and with that Brady Quinn is a better QB. Russell is in the mold of a Dante Culpepper and unless he has a good/great cast of receivers and a running back Russell won't produce. "Huge and has an amazing arm!', didn't I hear that phrase over and over again when a certain Ryan Leaf was about to be drafted?

EdReedUnstoppable
04-18-2007, 04:28 PM
Game film don't lie there buddy and with that Brady Quinn is a better QB. Russell is in the mold of a Dante Culpepper and unless he has a good/great cast of receivers and a running back Russell won't produce. "Huge and has an amazing arm!', didn't I hear that phrase over and over again when a certain Ryan Leaf was about to be drafted?

Russell's arm is far superior to that of Leaf, and Russell is far more athletic than Leaf there is no comparison between the 2, and as for Brady Quinn.......OVERRATED!

BigDawg819
04-18-2007, 04:31 PM
Russell's arm is far superior to that of Leaf, and Russell is far more athletic than Leaf there is no comparison between the 2, and as for Brady Quinn.......OVERRATED!

I was merely referring to your quote as the similarity between Leaf and Russell and as far as Quinn goes I'm sure he will have a better career then Russell. Charlie Weis knows QB's!

EdReedUnstoppable
04-18-2007, 04:31 PM
I was merely referring to your quote as the similarity between Leaf and Russell and as far as Quinn goes I'm sure he will have a better career then Russell. Charlie Weis knows QB's!

The only thing Charlie Weiss knows is Jesus schools, and fat farms my friend.

EdReedUnstoppable
04-18-2007, 04:32 PM
Oh and how to lose bowl games!

BigDawg819
04-18-2007, 04:33 PM
The only thing Charlie Weis knows is Jesus schools, and fat farms my friend.

Fat farms? He gets botched surgeries as opposed to fat farms these days my friend. :D

dcarey20
04-18-2007, 05:09 PM
don't worry about t-sizzle guy. he's already negotiating and i would say there is an extremely small chance that he is not a raven.

as for the first round quarterback, i know we have interest in kolb, edwards, and stanton, but i don't see any chance we take any of them at 29.

as for russell and quinn, i like quinn. i have him at 3 on my board with russell at 8. i feel both are going to be very good, but i think quinn will be a star.

go_ravens94
04-18-2007, 05:10 PM
don't worry about t-sizzle guy. he's already negotiating and i would say there is an extremely small chance that he is not a raven.

as for the first round quarterback, i know we have interest in kolb, edwards, and stanton, but i don't see any chance we take any of them at 29.

Stanton I like.

Bohleive
04-18-2007, 05:52 PM
Please no more late 1st rd QB's. It's so stupid. If you want a 2nd rd QB, trade down. If someone else wants to do it, let them.

BigDawg819
04-18-2007, 05:53 PM
Oh and how to lose bowl games!

Did you just go there? The Guinness intake level must be low....

go_ravens94
04-18-2007, 09:07 PM
Please no more late 1st rd QB's. It's so stupid. If you want a 2nd rd QB, trade down. If someone else wants to do it, let them.

That makes sense.

smittyjs
04-18-2007, 09:41 PM
Why does McNair get so much hate for actually being able to move the offense down field and score unlike Bollerking???

dcarey20
04-19-2007, 03:35 PM
Why does McNair get so much hate for actually being able to move the offense down field and score unlike Bollerking???

believe me man, that's not everyone's opinion. i'm on the mcnair side.

ChewyRaven318
04-19-2007, 04:29 PM
Newsome is on crack if he takes a first round QB. Third/Fourth round..maybe, but reluctantly. But first round? No. I don't believe it.

Oh, and Russel can go as the first pick. There have been overhyped flops at first pick before. He can most certainly join that list.

bigbluedefense
04-19-2007, 04:38 PM
Better question....will they look for an Adalius Thomas "replacement" in this draft?

The only guy that I can see fitting the bill is Anthony Spencer. Abriamiri might have the athleticism to do it, but he's more of a pure DE. Running the hybrid scheme that they run is gonna be tougher now without Thomas. If they want to keep that going, maybe using Spencer as a rotational DE on passing downs and as a 3-4 rushbacker would be a good idea.

ChewyRaven318
04-19-2007, 04:40 PM
Check out Scott's Mock draft and then check out the profile of the second rd. pick, Quentin Moses. He's also one of those versatile guys who will perform well in place of AD.

niel89
04-19-2007, 05:27 PM
Better question....will they look for an Adalius Thomas "replacement" in this draft?

The only guy that I can see fitting the bill is Anthony Spencer. Abriamiri might have the athleticism to do it, but he's more of a pure DE. Running the hybrid scheme that they run is gonna be tougher now without Thomas. If they want to keep that going, maybe using Spencer as a rotational DE on passing downs and as a 3-4 rushbacker would be a good idea.

im not that worried about finding a guy early too much. Ozzie iirc said the we will use dan cody and JJ while delegating more of AD old responsibilities to Bart Scott.

also this thread seems to be out of context really. in the article ozzie says 90% of predraft talk is smoke and mirrors. its less that his is aiming for a 1st rd Qb, and more that who knows what he is gonna do.

In Ozzie We Trust.

ccB
04-20-2007, 07:01 AM
The only OLB's I'd be satisfyed with taking in the first is either Moss or Spencer. Id rather take a guy like David Harris to be he eventual replacement of Ray Ray than most of the second tier DE/OLB tweeners.

go_ravens94
04-20-2007, 08:33 AM
The only OLB's I'd be satisfyed with taking in the first is either Moss or Spencer. Id rather take a guy like David Harris to be he eventual replacement of Ray Ray than most of the second tier DE/OLB tweeners.

Only Moss at OLB.
Harris is a great pick at ILB.

Ravens1991
04-20-2007, 08:49 AM

I am hoping we can get a player that is a 4-3 OLB and a 3-4 OLB like Adalius, I like Spencer but I am not sure if he can play 4-3 OLB.

Bohleive
04-20-2007, 01:03 PM
Id rather take a guy like David Harris to be he eventual replacement of Ray Ray than most of the second tier DE/OLB tweeners.

agreed.....

dcarey20
04-21-2007, 04:54 PM

well for some reason, no one outside of baltimore seems to know who jarrett johnson is. he's just like adalius, except he has no where near the athleticism.

he will be adalius thomas' replacement, regardless of how the draft goes. we could easily go for a DE/OLB in the first round, but it would be for depth and for a guy who can be a situational player.

EdReedUnstoppable
04-21-2007, 10:03 PM
If we do get Quentin Moses, he will take over the starting job of JJ by week 8, that dude is just plain sick!!

Ravens1991
04-22-2007, 09:56 AM
Do you think that Quentin has the athletic ability to be a 4-3 OLB.

EdReedUnstoppable
04-22-2007, 10:26 AM
Do you think that Quentin has the athletic ability to be a 4-3 OLB.

Why would you want him to be anything other than a DE in a 4-3?

But if you meant 3-4 then I would say he absolutely has the athletic ability to be an OLB in a 3-4. He reminds me alot of Suggs.

Ravens1991
04-22-2007, 10:40 AM
I would like someone that can play 3-4 OLB and 4-3 OLB so we can keep our crazy hybrid without any subsitutions so we can audible and switch our scheme.

go_ravens94
04-22-2007, 11:13 AM
I would like someone that can play 3-4 OLB and 4-3 OLB so we can keep our crazy hybrid without any subsitutions so we can audible and switch our scheme.

Yeah. That scared a lot of opponents last year. Moses/Woodley/Moss are 3 good candidates.

Ravens1991
04-22-2007, 11:59 AM
I am not sure if Woodley is athletic enough for 4-3 OLB, there are some people that think he isnt athletic enough for 3-4 OLB.