PDA

View Full Version : The Lions and the Bucs Trade near complete

Pocket
04-18-2007, 03:03 PM
"Our friends at WDAE in Tampa have tipped us off to a rumor that we're in the process of confirming that the Lions have traded the No. 2 overall pick in the 2007 draft to the Buccaneers for the No. 4 overall pick and defensive end Simeon Rice.

A league source tells us that, while there is not a done deal, the talks are occurring regarding a flip-flop of No. 2 and No. 4. It's not presently clear whether Rice is part of the deal.

The Bucs presumably want to get in position to take receiver Calvin Johnson with the No. 2 selection, if the Raiders don't take Johnson with the No. 1.

The real intrigue on this one arises if the Raiders take Johnson. Would the Bucs then pick quarterback JaMarcus Russell or Brady Quinn? Or would they take left tackle Joe Thomas?

Recently, the Bucs conducted on-campus workouts with Johnson, Russell, and Quinn. They didn't include Thomas in the tour, and we've seen some evidence in the Tampa press of possible efforts by the team to bad-mouth Thomas, possibly in the hopes that he'll be available at No. 4.

It could be that the Lions are willing to make the deal to go down to No. 4 because they think they could still get Thomas at that spot. But if Johnson is the No. 1 pick, Thomas might be long gone by the time the Lions use the pick currently held by Tampa.

We're keeping a close eye on this one. Check back for more details."

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

-------------------------

Thoughts.

Scotty D
04-18-2007, 03:04 PM
I'd assume one of their second rounder's would be involved. I don't think this eliminates Gaines Adams or another trade down.

Bootland27
04-18-2007, 03:58 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

A source with knowledge of the situation tells us that the trade talks between the Lions and Buccaneers for a flip-flop of the No. 2 overall pick and the No. 4 overall pick are dead. For now.

But the source says that the Lions also are talking to the Redskins and Falcons about a possible trade of first-round, top-ten picks. And the Cardinals (we're told) contacted the Lions for the first time on Wednesday to discuss the spot.

The Redskins hold the No. 6 pick, the Falcons hold the No. 8 pick, and the Cardinals hold the No. 5 pick.

The source also says that the Lions are confused by the Redskins' interest in moving up, since Washington doesn't have many other 2007 picks to offer. In addition to the sixth overall selection, the 'Skins have a fifth-round pick, two sixth-round picks, and a seventh-round selection.

We're also told that the Lions prefer to make the trade before the draft. We recently heard that if no trade is accomplished before noon on April 28 and if receiver Calvin Johnson is available at No. 2, the Lions would select him and then trade his rights to the highest bidder. Apparently, the Lions have figured out that actually drafting Johnson and then sending him to someone else would open the organization up to plenty of criticism if Johnson becomes a superstar (especially in light of the team's past misadventures with top-ten receivers). It would be far better to get out of the No. 2 spot before the picks start to fly.

detroit4life
04-18-2007, 05:18 PM
i doubt they are worried about criticism right now Cj at #2 would be the best pick and then if they traded him it would be even better they want to add to the defense right now. Adding to the offense has been done its time to work on our defense and let our offense work itself out

Notredameleo
04-18-2007, 05:29 PM
I dont think PFT is the most reliable source. But, I would want one of there seconds in this trade, not just an aging DE

detroit4life
04-18-2007, 05:39 PM
i doubt they would include rice since we'd be moving back to take adams that would give us 3 DE's in a rotation which is pretty good. We'd have to get atleast a second if not more draft picks

asmitty45
04-18-2007, 06:20 PM
If we made that trade and got Rice and a second rounder, i honestly wouldnt mind seeing LaRon Landry get taken at #4. We'd get IMO the best defensive player in this draft, and an obvious perfect fit for our scheme at DE, and a second rounder to use on another position.

WMD
04-18-2007, 06:35 PM
I just don't want Simeon Rice.. Unless he's our D-Line coach. I'd rather accumulate picks. The trade with ATL is my ideal situation..

WMD
04-18-2007, 06:36 PM
And the Cardinals (we're told) contacted the Lions for the first time on Wednesday to discuss the spot.

That made me chuckle a little.. considering how everybody 'knew' the Lions and Cardinals were going to trade picks before we got Foster.

asmitty45
04-18-2007, 08:32 PM
The ATL deal is absolutely ideal, 2 1sts is good no matter how you slice it and then we could take Landry there. Im so excited for next weekend!!!

detknowitall
04-18-2007, 09:56 PM
This is crazy if the Bucs want CJ then they wont trade for the #2 pick before the draft just to watch the raiders pick CJ they'll wait until he's actually available to make the trade. That means until the Raiders make their pick even if its before or after the start of the draft.

Scotty D
04-18-2007, 10:02 PM
I just hope that teams will actually trade up in front of Cleveland if CJ goes #1 for Russell.

asmitty45
04-18-2007, 10:12 PM
This is crazy if the Bucs want CJ then they wont trade for the #2 pick before the draft just to watch the raiders pick CJ they'll wait until he's actually available to make the trade. That means until the Raiders make their pick even if its before or after the start of the draft.

Maybe they know something we dont

WMD
04-18-2007, 10:56 PM
They might trade up with us so they get either CJ OR JaMarcus.. They'd hold the key to either of those two.. whichever Oakland doesn't take.

reinar
04-18-2007, 11:17 PM
and perhaps TB would be happy with either CJ, Russell, Quinn or AP. and at #4 they only get what is left over rather than what they wish.

I think the Simeon Rice coming to us, allowing us to move down, still hold trading cards at #4, and see what offers we get after Russell goes to OAK, CJ goes to TB, AP/Quinn goes to Cleveland. then we would hold the trade rights to Thomas/AP/Adams still. move down again do you hear? and leaves us getting a good 2-3 year DE in Rice, filling a void with Hall at CB, or Landry at S, and possibly Willis at MLB.

how would it be if we picked up Wilson (after passig a Physical) Rice in the trade, and drafted a Landry/Hall in the first?
who wouldnt be happy?