PDA

View Full Version : Where will the QB class of 2004 rank all-time

steel man
08-11-2006, 10:42 AM
When you have a QB that shattered the record(that was held by another Steelers QB) for wins in a row, was the youngest QB to win the Super Bowl, has won the most games over a 2 year span(and missed games during that time), and has won the most games to start a career in Ben Roethlisberger (The Best QB in football).
Then the Pedigree of Eli Manning
Then you have the most accurate and most games played QB in college history in Philp Rivers

duckseason
08-11-2006, 10:47 AM
Don't forget about Schaub. I think this class could possibly go down as top 2. Who knows though? Anything is possible.

draftguru151
08-11-2006, 10:49 AM
Right behind 1983. Rivers is going to be a very good passer. All three will be very good. Matt Schaub also came out of this draft and when he gets his shot he will be a good QB. J.P. Losman isn't a bust yet either. It was a very good year for QB, but 1983 had the two best QBs ever, and Jim Kelly to boot.

bigbluedefense
08-11-2006, 11:37 AM
I think it has potential to be on top. Its too early to tell but the potential is certainly there. All these qb's have the potential to win a SB. Roethlisberger has already, Eli is going to be a SB contender for years to come, Schaub will be a great WCO qb for a team needing one, Rivers has a SB contender like team in SD, and Lossman...let's just give him some more time.

But think about it, SD, Pitt, NYG...all SB contenders for the next several years or at the very least are projecting to be. All have the oppurtunity to win the big one...with Ben already having one. I can see Schaub excelling as a qb, especially if he lands in a great team like Dallas who might make a push for him.

Imagine if every qb in this draft wins a SB and has a great career...I think if that happens you have to put it as the best qb year ever....and its very possible.

Splat
08-11-2006, 12:21 PM

John Elway
Jim Kelly
Dan Marino

Staubach12
08-11-2006, 12:26 PM
I think it has potential to be on top. Its too early to tell but the potential is certainly there. All these qb's have the potential to win a SB. Roethlisberger has already, Eli is going to be a SB contender for years to come, Schaub will be a great WCO qb for a team needing one, Rivers has a SB contender like team in SD, and Lossman...let's just give him some more time.

But think about it, SD, Pitt, NYG...all SB contenders for the next several years or at the very least are projecting to be. All have the oppurtunity to win the big one...with Ben already having one. I can see Schaub excelling as a qb, especially if he lands in a great team like Dallas who might make a push for him.

Imagine if every qb in this draft wins a SB and has a great career...I think if that happens you have to put it as the best qb year ever....and its very possible.

I agree. All these QBs have a chance to win a SB sometime in the future, though I think Eli has the best chance to win it all this year. This QB class will be fun to watch for years to come.

duckseason
08-11-2006, 12:28 PM

John Elway
Jim Kelly
Dan Marino

Can't forget Ken O'brien, Tony Eason, and......Gary Kubiak :shock:

cunningham06
08-11-2006, 12:33 PM

John Elway
Jim Kelly
Dan Marino

That was a great draft that year. I believe Eric Dickerson was also drafted then.

duckseason
08-11-2006, 12:37 PM

John Elway
Jim Kelly
Dan Marino

That was a great draft that year. I believe Eric Dickerson was also drafted then.

Yup, as was Curt Warner, Roger Craig, Darrell Green, Bruce Mathews...there's a few other big names I can't think of right now.

sweetness34
08-11-2006, 01:01 PM

John Elway
Jim Kelly
Dan Marino

That'll be tough to beat...3 HOF's. The only possible HOF's I see in 2004 are Manning and Big Ben.

duckseason
08-11-2006, 01:05 PM

John Elway
Jim Kelly
Dan Marino

That'll be tough to beat...3 HOF's. The only possible HOF's I see in 2004 are Manning and Big Ben.

I think Rivers could end up proving to be the best of the 3. Not saying that's what I think will happen.....but the possibility is certainly there. I'm not sure how I would rank them.

elway777
08-11-2006, 01:07 PM
What,how can you forget J.P. Losman?

sweetness34
08-11-2006, 01:07 PM

John Elway
Jim Kelly
Dan Marino

I think Rivers could end up proving to be the best of the 3. Not saying that's what I think will happen.....but the possibility is certainly there. I'm not sure how I would rank them.

I don't know, I haven't been a big fan of Rivers, but that's just me. I think he'll be a very good QB, but not great.

Shiver
08-11-2006, 01:20 PM
1983 will always be better. This was a better than usual class, but overrated. Neither Eli or Big Ben are as good as the media portrays them. Not as if their careers are over or anything, but Elway and Marino are some of the G.O.A.T.

Shane P. Hallam
08-11-2006, 01:22 PM
Right, it could be 2nd best if 2 of 3 work out to be Pro Bowl caliber in Losman, Rivers, and Schaub...

GB12
08-11-2006, 01:24 PM
1983 will always be better. This was a better than usual class, but overrated. Neither Eli or Big Ben are as good as the media portrays them. Not as if their careers are over or anything, but Elway and Marino are some of the G.O.A.T.

they make Ben look good because he wins. a large amount of that should go to the team he's on. Now Im not calling him Kyle Orton but he won the same way with a good Defense and a running game.

duckseason
08-11-2006, 01:28 PM

they make Ben look good because he wins. a large amount of that should go to the team he's on. Now Im not calling him Kyle Orton but he won the same way with a good Defense and a running game.

Roethlisberger is definitely a good QB, but I agree he isn't yet what the media makes him seem.

GB12
08-11-2006, 01:32 PM

Roethlisberger is definitely a good QB, but I agree he isn't yet what the media makes him seem.

yea I wasnt saying he wasnt. He was on a very good team and won so they overated him. but in the end isnt winning what its all about.

ShutDwn
08-11-2006, 02:57 PM
When you have a QB that shattered the record(that was held by another Steelers QB) for wins in a row, was the youngest QB to win the Super Bowl, has won the most games over a 2 year span(and missed games during that time), and has won the most games to start a career in Ben Roethlisberger (The Best QB in football).
Then you have the most accurate and most games played QB in college history in Philp Rivers

Are you saying Roethlisberger is the best in Football?

Canadian_kid16
08-11-2006, 03:00 PM

check his (steel mans) name

duckseason
08-11-2006, 03:02 PM

Some people mistake "Steelers win" for "Roethlisberger wins".
Not to take anything away from Ben. I think he is a very good young QB. He did a very good job of not losing games for the Steelers. He played the role he was supposed to. To call him the best QB in the NFL is absolutely ridiculous though. That's worse than saying Alexander is the best RB. I think his moniker (steelman) explains it all.

Splat
08-11-2006, 03:09 PM
Big Ben best QB in the game lol. :roll:

bobrooney
08-11-2006, 03:12 PM
Someone said in a different thread that the term "overrated" is subjective and I totally agree. However, I don't think Ben is nearly as overrated as some tend to believe. Having the chance to watch him game in and game out I simply can not question his value or importance to the team. Make no mistake, he's still a bit raw (especially his rookie year), he likes to street ball it sometimes rather than dropping back and hitting his targets but his athleticism more than makes up for this. Ben isn't just a game manager, he throws in the first half and secures the lead. Second half is when our running game really shines. That is the Cowher way, run the ball, milk the clock and hold on for the victory. Look no further than the playoffs (sans the superbowl, that was a way subpar for Ben) to see how the team works with Ben under center. I can understand that some people don't get to watch him play as much and therefore the only real judgement they can go on is his statline and as far as pass attempts and yards they aren't staggering, but just watching him and how he wills the team to win should be enough to convince some people that he truly is a great young talent.

Having watched Eli and Schaub play I can also say that, in my opinion, they are going to be special as well. Who knows who will have the best career when it's all said and done but I think this class will be very successful. Unfortunately I only saw Rivers play against the Broncos and I don't think it would be fair to make a judgement on him until this year, but I have heard he is tearing up training camp.

Ravens1991
08-11-2006, 03:23 PM

Some people mistake "Steelers win" for "Roethlisberger wins".
Not to take anything away from Ben. I think he is a very good young QB. He did a very good job of not losing games for the Steelers. He played the role he was supposed to. To call him the best QB in the NFL is absolutely ridiculous though. That's worse than saying Alexander is the best RB. I think his moniker (steelman) explains it all.

I agree with what you have to say duckseason

RCAChainGang
08-11-2006, 03:27 PM
I think they will be #10 i think at most we'll have one HOF QB then 3 probowlers.

Shiver
08-11-2006, 03:28 PM
The only Hall of Famer, is Roethlisberger, because he fits the Troy Aikman role. Completely overrated because of his supporting cast making him look better than he is.

duckseason
08-11-2006, 03:29 PM
I think they will be #10 i think at most we'll have one HOF QB then 3 probowlers.

Can you honestly name 9 other groups you think will end up being better?

duckseason
08-11-2006, 03:30 PM
The only Hall of Famer, is Roethlisberger, because he fits the Troy Aikman role.

I fail to see the parallel. please enlighten us.

Ravens1991
08-11-2006, 03:32 PM
he means his teammates turn a above average QB to be great because his supporting cast is great. Ben is still young and can still develope, you never know, he has good tools.

Shiver
08-11-2006, 03:32 PM
Troy Aikman never put up Hall of Fame-type production. But he won "super bowls," he was the game manager, who relied on his supporting cast for the most part. To enter the Hall of Fame you need to do one of two things to make it in as a QB;

1. Win Championships. (Aikman, Namath, Bradshaw)
2. Put up crazy stats. (Marino, Moon)

Shiver
08-11-2006, 03:34 PM
he means his teammates turn a above average QB to be great because his supporting cast is great. Ben is still young and can still develope, you never know, he has good tools.

I doubt he'll ever become a statistical great QB, with Cowher holding him back.

duckseason
08-11-2006, 03:36 PM

I undertand that, but comparing Aikman to Roethlisberger doesn't really fit. Aikman truly was great.
Roethlisberger has yet to prove that.

Shiver
08-11-2006, 03:39 PM
:roll:

duckseason
08-11-2006, 03:41 PM

Got something in your eye? Try visine.

sweetness34
08-11-2006, 04:12 PM

:lol:

Big Ben is a good QB, I won't deny that. But he's not yet a great one. The Steelers run game and their defense are really what got them to where they were last year. Big Ben played a big part, but he didn't really carry that team. He made the plays he had to in order to help his team win and he had a good year last season, but not a great one.

But I do think when it's all said and done, he'll be a great QB. And maybe this is the year where he takes his game to the next level.

steel man
08-11-2006, 09:46 PM
people can think i am crazy, but i watched every game of Ben's college and pro carrer and i also saw Ben in person and imo he is the best. true football fans and people who break the games down know that stats does not matter as much as most people think, all that matters is winning and that what Ben does and so far he's done it better than anyone else in the history of this game. he killed the record for most wins to start a carrer, most wins over any 2 year span(and missed some games),helped his team win 14 stright and go 15-1 and went to the champinship game then the next year was the youngest QB to win a super bowl. anyone that is a Steelers fan or a fan of the game knows that the steelers have been pretty much the same team they are now execpt with a different QB and they could not win with Maddox,Kordell,Tomzack anyone they put back there just could not win. Then we drafted Ben and now in 2 years we are super bowl champs and could have won it in his 1st year. you want your QB's and teams to win and thats what he does and everybody will not give him credit. i do not base my comments on stats i base my comments on 4th qr comebacks, when your team needs a important throw and the QB makes it. when your team needs someone to step up and he does. items like that is what i base my "best QB in the NFL" on so it is not ridiculous that i say Ben is the best QB in the NFL because he is. take Manning he has just as good of a team but they could not beat the steelers even with bad calls. Manning and Marino's stats say they are the 2 best but Mannung has never been to the super bowl and Marino went to 1 and lost and even Elway and Frave could not win one until they got a team around them and Bledsoe even took the same NE team to the super bowl before Brady did and Brady needed to get Dillion to be able to go back. so this about Ben having a good team around him, well every super bowl team does the winning teams and losing teams(Bills,Seahawks). Montana,Brady, Ben, and Bradshaw may not had the best stats but they just won. plus Ben showed he could throw with the best of them and if he was in a different system he could put up big,big numbers and cowher and co. calls the plays and they are set in their ways about running the ball and you can not blame them with the QB's they have had in the past, but now i think they will open up more snice they have the best QB in football,in BIG BEN!! :lol: :D :mrgreen: :P

Ravens1991
08-11-2006, 11:53 PM
correct about a QB winning but Trent Dilfer wasnt the best QB in the league when the Ravens won the superbowl.

Shiver
08-11-2006, 11:57 PM
blah,blah,blah, I love Roethlisberberger, blah, blah, blah, I love the Steelers.

I made your post much more concise.

San Diego Chicken
08-12-2006, 12:24 AM
To say Roethlisberger is overrated is silly to me. He was the 3rd highest rated passer in the NFL last season at the ripe old age of 23. In fact, Roethlisberger's career QB rating is 98.3. As a point of comparison, Eli Manning's rating is a below average 70.5.

My feeling is Roethlisberger and Rivers will be the two best QBs from this draft. I'm not sure Rivers will be a hall of fame QB, but he will be a very good one right away, because he is smart, mature and a very accurate and poised passer. Eli Manning clearly is not as advanced as his brother was at the same age and I see him having a Jeff George-like career. If Schaub gets an opportunity sometime soon, he could have a solid career. Losman is a bust, he's always been too much of a headcase to play QB at this level.

Short answer no, this class isn't the class of '83.

portermvp84
08-12-2006, 12:26 AM
I liked the 98 draft alot of good players came out of that draft.

San Diego Chicken
08-12-2006, 12:51 AM
The 99 draft was good for QB's -

Future HOF -

Donovan McNabb
Daunte Culpepper

Starter

Aaron Brooks

Decent backups

Shaun King

But there were alot of busts too -

Tim Couch
Akili Smith
Cade McNown

The 2003 draft looks like it will turn out pretty good -

Future HOF

Carson Palmer

Starters

Byron Leftwich
Chris Simms
Rex Grossman
Kyle Boller

5 starters in one draft is pretty good.

Shiver
08-12-2006, 12:55 AM
Future HOF -

Donovan McNabb
Daunte Culpepper

Future HOF

Carson Palmer

Way too early....

Besides, Quarterbacks are defined by post-season performances. The antithesis of what we've seen from McNabb and Culpepper thus far. Neither of them have shown consistently great play.

San Diego Chicken
08-12-2006, 01:02 AM
Future HOF -

Donovan McNabb
Daunte Culpepper

Future HOF

Carson Palmer

Way too early....

Besides, Quarterbacks are defined by post-season performances. The antithesis of what we've seen from McNabb and Culpepper thus far. Neither of them have shown consistently great play.

You're probably right about it being too early, but those are upper echelon QB's. Maybe I should rename future HOF to perennial all-pro.

RCAChainGang
08-12-2006, 01:07 AM
people can think i am crazy, but i watched every game of Ben's college and pro carrer and i also saw Ben in person and imo he is the best. true football fans and people who break the games down know that stats does not matter as much as most people think, all that matters is winning and that what Ben does and so far he's done it better than anyone else in the history of this game. he killed the record for most wins to start a carrer, most wins over any 2 year span(and missed some games),helped his team win 14 stright and go 15-1 and went to the champinship game then the next year was the youngest QB to win a super bowl. anyone that is a Steelers fan or a fan of the game knows that the steelers have been pretty much the same team they are now execpt with a different QB and they could not win with Maddox,Kordell,Tomzack anyone they put back there just could not win. Then we drafted Ben and now in 2 years we are super bowl champs and could have won it in his 1st year. you want your QB's and teams to win and thats what he does and everybody will not give him credit. i do not base my comments on stats i base my comments on 4th qr comebacks, when your team needs a important throw and the QB makes it. when your team needs someone to step up and he does. items like that is what i base my "best QB in the NFL" on so it is not ridiculous that i say Ben is the best QB in the NFL because he is. take Manning he has just as good of a team but they could not beat the steelers even with bad calls. Manning and Marino's stats say they are the 2 best but Mannung has never been to the super bowl and Marino went to 1 and lost and even Elway and Frave could not win one until they got a team around them and Bledsoe even took the same NE team to the super bowl before Brady did and Brady needed to get Dillion to be able to go back. so this about Ben having a good team around him, well every super bowl team does the winning teams and losing teams(Bills,Seahawks). Montana,Brady, Ben, and Bradshaw may not had the best stats but they just won. plus Ben showed he could throw with the best of them and if he was in a different system he could put up big,big numbers and cowher and co. calls the plays and they are set in their ways about running the ball and you can not blame them with the QB's they have had in the past, but now i think they will open up more snice they have the best QB in football,in BIG BEN!! :lol: :D :mrgreen: :P

I agree that Big Ben is a great, amazing, and HOF QB, but i refuse to beleive he's better than Manning. :wink:

yourfavestoner
08-12-2006, 02:20 AM

Future HOF -

Donovan McNabb
Daunte Culpepper

Starter

Aaron Brooks

Decent backups

Shaun King

Tim Couch
Akili Smith
Cade McNown

Future HOF

Carson Palmer

Starters

Byron Leftwich
Chris Simms
Rex Grossman
Kyle Boller

I agree. I think the class of 2003 is better than 2004.

draftguru151
08-12-2006, 08:16 AM
When you are talking about great drafts you look at overall talent, not depth. Simms, Boller, and Grossman won't be great QBs.

Immaculate Tackle
08-12-2006, 09:02 AM
The only Hall of Famer, is Roethlisberger, because he fits the Troy Aikman role. Completely overrated because of his supporting cast making him look better than he is.
After 2 years you've already determined his role? It is constantly expanding, and he is ultra-talented. He's not even close to his ceiling yet. Last year he had a Troy Aikman type year: Troy Aikman when he was in his 5th year. He will be better than Aikman.

duckseason
08-12-2006, 09:14 AM
After 2 years you've already determined his role? It is constantly expanding, and he is ultra-talented. He's not even close to his ceiling yet. Last year he had a Troy Aikman type year: Troy Aikman when he was in his 5th year. He will be better than Aikman.

Nice avatar.

Immaculate Tackle
08-12-2006, 09:28 AM
I doubt that he'll win more superbowls, but I think he'll put up better stats.

duckseason
08-12-2006, 09:35 AM
I doubt that he'll win more superbowls, but I think he'll put up better stats.

That is a definite possibility. But will he go down as the widely regarded most accurate QB in history?
I agree Ben has a very bright future, but go compare him to someone like Eli, or some other young guy.
Somebody who is actually on his current level.

detknowitall
08-12-2006, 12:02 PM
What,how can you forget J.P. Losman?

I cant and thats the problem.

ShutDwn
08-12-2006, 12:18 PM

Steelers rushing attempts last year: 549 most in the NFL
Steelers passing attempts last year: 379 Least in the NFL

So, about winning games...

eacantdraft
08-14-2006, 09:13 PM

Future HOF -

Donovan McNabb
Daunte Culpepper

Starter

Aaron Brooks

Decent backups

Shaun King

Tim Couch
Akili Smith
Cade McNown

Future HOF

Carson Palmer

Starters

Byron Leftwich
Chris Simms
Rex Grossman
Kyle Boller

McNabb, Culpepper, and Palmer are not even near certain future Hall of Famers. They have a long way to go to even get serious considerations.

eacantdraft
08-15-2006, 07:05 AM

Big Ben is a good QB, I won't deny that. But he's not yet a great one. The Steelers run game and their defense are really what got them to where they were last year. Big Ben played a big part, but he didn't really carry that team. He made the plays he had to in order to help his team win and he had a good year last season, but not a great one.

But I do think when it's all said and done, he'll be a great QB. And maybe this is the year where he takes his game to the next level.

Who carried the Steelers to the Super Bowl last season when their running game went south? Big Ben. The Pittsburgh running game was not very effective in the AFC playoffs and Big Ben put up some great stats that got the Steelers to the Super Bowl. Maybe that silly two week waiting period cooled off Big Ben in the Super Bowl, but the Steelers would not have gotten to the Super Bowl with Tommy Maddox or Charlie Batch.

njx9
08-15-2006, 07:14 AM

Who carried the Steelers to the Super Bowl last season when their running game went south? Big Ben. The Pittsburgh running game was not very effective in the AFC playoffs and Big Ben put up some great stats that got the Steelers to the Super Bowl. Maybe that silly two week waiting period cooled off Big Ben in the Super Bowl, but the Steelers would not have gotten to the Super Bowl with Tommy Maddox or Charlie Batch.

be honest. with maddox, they would've been 4-12.

eacantdraft
08-15-2006, 08:46 AM
Back to the original question.

I rank the 1983 class as the best with 3 Hall of Famers and Ken O'Brien who had a few very good years.

The class of 1973 would have to be second with Dan Fouts, Burt Jones, and Ron Jaworski.

The class of 1971 wasn't a slouch either with Archie Manning, Joe Theismann, Dan Pastorini, Lynn Dickey, Jim Plunkett, and Ken Anderson.