PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Brooks HOF

The Legend
08-14-2006, 05:07 AM
Does Derrick Brooks go into the Hall of fame?

he has ten / 100 tackle season in a row

1400 total tackles - 1000+ his tackles - 13.5 sacks - 21 ints - almost 500 yards - 6tds - 20 ff - 40 turnovers

Jughead10
08-14-2006, 07:27 AM
I think he will get in somewhere around the 3rd to 5th time he is eligible. Maybe on his second. He isn't a first in my opinion but he shouldn't have to wait like Carson.

08-14-2006, 07:30 AM
i think hes a 2nd or 3rd ballot hall of famer

yourfavestoner
08-14-2006, 12:36 PM
He'll be a second or third ballot guy.

Also, John Madden should still be waiting. The guy shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame.

Jughead10
08-14-2006, 12:37 PM

Also, John Madden should still be waiting. The guy shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame.

Would you like to expand on why you think that. If he had never done anything after coaching I would agree with you, but Madden and football are one in the same. The guy should be in.

The Legend
08-14-2006, 12:41 PM

Would you like to expand on why you think that. If he had never done anything after coaching I would agree with you, but Madden and football are one in the same. The guy should be in.

didnt madden never had a season less then 10 wins

im 100% that he never had 1 losing season

Madden can still coach till this day - Madden is a beast

i hope he goes in the 1st time hopefuly he can pull 15 season in a row with 100 tackles :lol:

he got ten 100 tackles season - maybe he can play like seau 17 yrs :lol:

08-14-2006, 12:46 PM

he was a great coach and legend is right, he never had a season under 10 wins. if he didnt go in as a coach he deserved 1st ballot as a contributor

The Legend
08-14-2006, 12:49 PM

didnt madden never had a season less then 10 wins

im 100% that he never had 1 losing season

Madden can still coach till this day - Madden is a beast

i hope he goes in the 1st time hopefuly he can pull 15 season in a row with 100 tackles :lol:

he got ten 100 tackles season - maybe he can play like seau 17 yrs :lol:

he was a great coach and legend is right, he never had a season under 10 wins. if he didnt go in as a coach he deserved 1st ballot as a contributor

he should have been there a few years ago

yourfavestoner
08-14-2006, 01:08 PM
As far as his record as a coach, in my opinion, it was not good enough because he didn't coach long enough. The real problem is that it's going to set a precedent; create a criterion for coaches to be considered for induction into the Hall of Fame. Madden's induction automatically swells the ranks of coaches who are going to be considered and probably will be inducted. It means that no fewer than seven head coaches from last season will be considered for induction: Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick, Mike Shanahan, Mike Holmgren, Bill Cowher, Marty Schottenheimer and Dick Vermeil. Come on. No period in NFL history has ever produced that kind of haul of Hall of Fame coaches.

When it becomes that many, the distinction starts to become ordinary. Given Madden's coaching record, here are some other coaches who should be considered for Hall of Fame induction: Don Coryell, Tony Dungy, Jeff Fisher, Tom Flores, Dennis Green, Chuck Knox, Jim Mora, Buddy Parker, Dan Reeves and George Seifert. All of those coaches, except Dungy and Fisher, have won more games than Madden. Dungy and Fisher are right behind Madden and will pass him this year; maybe, in Fisher's case. Flores has more wins and won twice as many Super Bowls as Madden, with the same team. Parker won two NFL titles as head coach of the Lions in the 1950's. Knox and Reeves have significantly more wins and Seifert won two Super Bowls. The Hall of Fame should not be a place for the many. It should be a place for the few.

If Madden made it in because of what he did as a coach and as a broadcaster, then a lot of dual-role guys need to be inducted.

The Legend
08-14-2006, 01:19 PM
As far as his record as a coach, in my opinion, it was not good enough because he didn't coach long enough. The real problem is that it's going to set a precedent; create a criterion for coaches to be considered for induction into the Hall of Fame. Madden's induction automatically swells the ranks of coaches who are going to be considered and probably will be inducted. It means that no fewer than seven head coaches from last season will be considered for induction: Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick, Mike Shanahan, Mike Holmgren, Bill Cowher, Marty Schottenheimer and Dick Vermeil. Come on. No period in NFL history has ever produced that kind of haul of Hall of Fame coaches.

When it becomes that many, the distinction starts to become ordinary. Given Madden's coaching record, here are some other coaches who should be considered for Hall of Fame induction: Don Coryell, Tony Dungy, Jeff Fisher, Tom Flores, Dennis Green, Chuck Knox, Jim Mora, Buddy Parker, Dan Reeves and George Seifert. All of those coaches, except Dungy and Fisher, have won more games than Madden. Dungy and Fisher are right behind Madden and will pass him this year; maybe, in Fisher's case. Flores has more wins and won twice as many Super Bowls as Madden, with the same team. Parker won two NFL titles as head coach of the Lions in the 1950's. Knox and Reeves have significantly more wins and Seifert won two Super Bowls. The Hall of Fame should not be a place for the many. It should be a place for the few.

If Madden made it in because of what he did as a coach and as a broadcaster, then a lot of dual-role guys need to be inducted.

he coach for 10 years - 1967 - 69 LB Coaching / 1979 Retired after 10 years / and now 26 years of NFL Brodcasting

The Great Jonathan Vilma
08-14-2006, 01:26 PM
he'll probably make it eventually, not on his first try though

The Legend
08-14-2006, 01:26 PM
he'll probably make it eventually, not on his first try though

i guess it matter how many more 100 tackle season he gets

i know its hard but i hope hen gets 600 more tackles to get 2000

bearsfan_51
08-14-2006, 01:48 PM
I dunno..it should be interesting to see how many players make it from the Tampa Superbowl Defense. 3 players are currently in the HOF from the "Monsters of the Midway" defense and they were a better unit. I would have to figure that Ronde Barber is getting in, after that it's a crap shoot. I would guess that Brooks would be the next most likely. Sapp, Rice, and Lynch would all have a chance but at this point the only one I would really consider would be Lynch and that's just cause I like him as a player so much.

The Legend
08-14-2006, 01:50 PM
I dunno..it should be interesting to see how many players make it from the Tampa Superbowl Defense. 3 players are currently in the HOF from the "Monsters of the Midway" defense and they were a better unit. I would have to figure that Ronde Barber is getting in, after that it's a crap shoot. I would guess that Brooks would be the next most likely. Sapp, Rice, and Lynch would all have a chance but at this point the only one I would really consider would be Lynch and that's just cause I like him as a player so much.
im not to sure about Sapp

but Lynch is a beasy i wonder if he will Retire after this year

also i belive his contract end this year

Canadian_kid16
08-14-2006, 01:55 PM

I think Rice will eventually...if he gets about 30-40 more sacks

D?ja V?
08-14-2006, 02:04 PM

30-40 more sacks will put him at 149-159 sacks. That would mean that Michael Strahan needs 19.5-29.5 more sacks to get into the Hall of Fame? I think Strahan already has assured he will get in. Simeon Rice will probably finish his career with more sacks than Strahan because he is only 10.5 sacks behind him and he is three years older, and has been in the league three years longer. I think Rice will get in if Strahan does. The thing that Strahan has on Rice is only 315 tackles and that is the only reason he gets in ahead of Rice IMO.

Brooks will make the Hall of Fame for sure, but it wont be on the first ballot, probably third or fourth time around. Ronde Barber will have to wait longer than that, so will John Lynch. If Warren Sapp can produce some decent numbers in the next couple of seasons he should get in too probably.

The Legend
08-14-2006, 02:07 PM

30-40 more sacks will put him at 149-159 sacks. That would mean that Michael Strahan needs 19.5-29.5 more sacks to get into the Hall of Fame? I think Strahan already has assured he will get in. Simeon Rice will probably finish his career with more sacks than Strahan because he is only 10.5 sacks behind him and he is three years older, and has been in the league three years longer. I think Rice will get in if Strahan does. The thing that Strahan has on Rice is only 315 tackles and that is the only reason he gets in ahead of Rice IMO.

Brooks will make the Hall of Fame for sure, but it wont be on the first ballot, probably third or fourth time around. Ronde Barber will have to wait longer than that, so will John Lynch. If Warren Sapp can produce some decent numbers in the next couple of seasons he should get in too probably.

i agree about sapp - and for barber if he get 25 ints and 25 sacks he will seal it but it is already possiable for him 2 get him

defensiveback23
08-15-2006, 02:02 AM
He might be the best coverage linebacker of all time. He will get in sooner rather than later after he retires.

Scott Wright
08-15-2006, 02:26 AM
My vote is yes, absolutely, 1st ballot.

The Legend
08-15-2006, 02:31 AM
My vote is yes, absolutely, 1st ballot.

Wright is always Right :lol:

Jonathan_VIlma
08-15-2006, 02:41 AM
I tend to agree. It's terribly hard not to put Brooks in on his first ballot. He revolutionized the weakside spot, as a position that changes the game, not only racks up stats. He's one of the best in the game at what he does, and that's create.

yourfavestoner
08-15-2006, 02:49 AM
I tend to agree. It's terribly hard not to put Brooks in on his first ballot. He revolutionized the weakside spot, as a position that changes the game, not only racks up stats. He's one of the best in the game at what he does, and that's create.

Jack Ham was doing the same thing in the Cover 2 in the 70s that Brooks is doing now.

The Legend
08-15-2006, 02:58 AM

Jack Ham was doing the same thing in the Cover 2 in the 70s that Brooks is doing now.

he went in 1988 was that not 1st ballot

yourfavestoner
08-15-2006, 03:03 AM

he went in 1988 was that not 1st ballot

Yes, it was first ballot.

However, my point was to note that Brooks didn't revolutionize anything.

Caddy
08-15-2006, 07:13 AM

1400 total tackles - 1000+ his tackles - 13.5 sacks - 21 ints - almost 500 yards - 6tds - 20 ff - 40 turnovers

I think those stats speak for themselves

Jughead10
08-15-2006, 07:27 AM

I think those stats speak for themselves

Even with those stats I don't think he is a sure first ballot guy.