PDA

View Full Version : Signed: Michael Myers, DT, Denver

PalmerToCJ
04-19-2007, 10:28 PM
31 years old.

Another ancient DT in FA signing. Honestly don't know a thing about him but I really doubt he contributes much.

themaninblack
04-19-2007, 10:33 PM
i know he killed a bunch of people back in the day and used to be a lot thinner and wore a white mask....

PalmerToCJ
04-19-2007, 10:39 PM
Yeah, that's about the extent of what I know about him as well.

I really don't see why he was signed (and why the Bengals.com article doesn't mention Peko as the starter). We have plenty of old average DT's, why not draft some young guy with potential in day 2 (ala Peko). To me this means no DT unless one of the big 2 fall back to us.

themaninblack
04-19-2007, 11:24 PM
there's a method to the madness.

PalmerToCJ
04-19-2007, 11:27 PM
I haven't been too bothered by the DT play of late to be honest, I just don't see him contributing much.

I just wish they'd stop worrying about players and start focusing on fitting the scheme to the players instead of forcing a scheme that isn't working (see never blitzing when the front 4 isn't capable off getting heat on the passer).

Ronniec513
04-20-2007, 12:18 AM
I'm OK with this signing. I think I would've rather seen a 4th or 5th round DT to develop aside Peko. And this signing reminds me of everybody the Reds sign, cheap, aging free agents. But on the flip side Myers is experienced and has had success. He can definitely contribute more to this team now than any 4th round DT's could. Plus this also eliminates a "need" pick on draft day because without this we had to find someone to replace Smith. If a DT is BPA on draft day we can still pull the trigger but this eliminates another need on draft day.

getbackcoach
04-20-2007, 10:55 AM
Personally, I can't stand Myers, but they signed him for dirt cheap. He is fairly undersized for DT, but I guess he will just provid back up for Thornton...let's hope this doesn't keep us from signing Hartwell!

mrpotamus
04-20-2007, 11:06 AM
I hope this means they cut Thornton. Myers is not great, but in all reality, he is no worse than Thornton. I personally like Fanene at UT the best. He is young and plays with a lot more passion than Thornton. He needs to start out in passing situations, but I think he may have a future there. Thornton is a waste of money.

PalmerToCJ
04-20-2007, 11:48 AM
If it means cutting Thornton I'm all for it... Thornton is a waste and always has been.

I just think we need young blood in there. There's a decent chance Robinson/Thornton/Adams could all be gone after next year, whatever, they know what they're doing I hope.