PDA

View Full Version : Robert Gallery?

Splat
08-15-2006, 09:39 AM
Is Robert Gallery a bust i keep thinking he is going to get better but he never does the guy was a beast in college?

NIN1984
08-15-2006, 09:54 AM
I wouldn’t use the word bust he has allowed 6 sacks in 2 seasons this is his 3rd season and his 3rd O-line coach his 2nd head coach and has played Guard and RT and is now finally playing LT and needs to learn all over again..

He is having a bad preseason that’s true but I wouldn’t label him a bust just yet.

keylime_5
08-15-2006, 10:07 AM
So far in his career he really stinks. He wasn't all that great as a RT, and now that he's back to LT he is struggling immensly. Unless he has a sudden epiphany and turns it around he is a super BUST!

DeathbyStat
08-15-2006, 10:10 AM
What I've seen of guy in the preseason had been laughable at best. He beat badly by speed rushers.

bigbluedefense
08-15-2006, 10:13 AM
I have to give him this year to see how he fares. If by week 10 he is still getting busted up, he's a bust. Its sad, I think the coaching staff and how they handled him has alot to do with why he is failing. But also, if you notice, I think he's out of shape. He is coming off the line real slow, and edge rushers are destrroying him. He is much slower now than he was in college. I think a combination of bad coaching and his own fitness have led to poor performance. If he doesn't get it together by the end of the year he will be a major disappointment.

Material Issues
08-15-2006, 10:16 AM
i think that now that he's at LT with Shell in charge he could make serious steps in his development. As bigbluegiants mentioned he has been slow off the line and i'm not sure how much of that is physically being out of shape and how much is him being mentally out of it as he has lost that comfort he had in college. Hopefully shell can give him his fire back and he'll be the star we all saw.

Ravens1991
08-15-2006, 10:36 AM
When Art Shell is our oline coach, and you can't put it together I would be preety confident to call him a bust.

Material Issues
08-15-2006, 10:38 AM
When Art Shell is our oline coach, and you can't put it together I would be preety confident to call him a bust.

good thing sheel has been his head coach all of a couple of months. :roll:

Ravens1991
08-15-2006, 10:41 AM

good thing sheel has been his head coach all of a couple of months. :roll:

Correct, but he is a top 5 tackle of all time.

DMWSackMachine
08-15-2006, 11:08 AM
Um, great players are rarely great coaches because of how natural things came to them as a player. Very few can turn around and verbalize the things that they just simply knew how to do. Art Shell is a perfect example of this. He was never a great, or even good, O Line coach. So don't bring Shell up as a reason for why he should be doing better.

The fact is that, when you draft a OT (or any player, for that matter) at #2 overall, you expect at least a Pro Bowl level player, and you really want an All-Pro type. Up to this point, he has most definitely been a bust. He's been below average in his first two seasons. No question about that.

However, I really don't see that he has to be a bust for his career. This guy is not another Mike Williams who is just so damn lazy and indifferent that he can't be worked with. I think the Raiders are just a horrible organization at this point in time, and its no coincedence that horrible organizations have a high bust rate with their draft picks. I put the blame for Robert Gallery and his problems squarely on the shoulders of those idiots that still think their running a world class organization over there, when in fact they are completely out of their mind.

cunningham06
08-15-2006, 11:20 AM
He is a bust, he got owned by Trent Cole, our backup defensive end in the HOF Game. He was not good at RT and will probably not be at LT.

Dillen
08-15-2006, 11:21 AM
He is a bust, he got owned by Trent Cole, our backup defensive end in the HOF Game. He was not good at RT and will probably not be at LT.
He strained his hammy or something in TC and he cant move laterally very well until it's 100%.

njx9
08-15-2006, 11:25 AM
However, I really don't see that he has to be a bust for his career. This guy is not another Mike Williams who is just so damn lazy and indifferent that he can't be worked with. I think the Raiders are just a horrible organization at this point in time, and its no coincedence that horrible organizations have a high bust rate with their draft picks. I put the blame for Robert Gallery and his problems squarely on the shoulders of those idiots that still think their running a world class organization over there, when in fact they are completely out of their mind.

exactly. while i may or may not agree with some of this, the fact that the raiders have been an absolutely terrible franchise lately may have something to do with gallery's ability to learn anything. there's not a lot of doubt in my mind that if he'd gone to team with at least a moderate degree of stability that he'd be a bit more successful.

slightlyaraiderfan
08-15-2006, 11:38 AM
He strained his hammy or something in TC and he cant move laterally very well until it's 100%.
That's right....but all of you that want to call him a bust after 2 years of playing RT in a "ZBS" and 2 preseason games which he has had a sore hamstring; then go ahead.

DMWSackMachine
08-15-2006, 11:48 AM
That's right....but all of you that want to call him a bust after 2 years of playing RT in a "ZBS" and 2 preseason games which he has had a sore hamstring; then go ahead.

That's right....and if you want to be a homer and deny the truth that's looking you straight in the face, then go ahead. Facts are facts, and great players play well, period.

Vikes99ej
08-15-2006, 11:50 AM
Hard to say with OLs...

Splat
08-15-2006, 11:53 AM
He can still turn it around he is young and has the HC to do it but as of now he looks lost at LT.

The Legend
08-15-2006, 03:38 PM
in madden hes the fast person on the oline

Paranoidmoonduck
08-15-2006, 04:16 PM
I have to give him this year to see how he fares. If by week 10 he is still getting busted up, he's a bust. Its sad, I think the coaching staff and how they handled him has alot to do with why he is failing. But also, if you notice, I think he's out of shape. He is coming off the line real slow, and edge rushers are destrroying him. He is much slower now than he was in college. I think a combination of bad coaching and his own fitness have led to poor performance. If he doesn't get it together by the end of the year he will be a major disappointment.

This is basically what I came to post. I said a week back that I gave Gallery and the offensive line as a whole until week 9 to show some major improvement. Shell might not be a great O-Line coach, but HOF OL Jackie Slater has a good reputation, and I think he can get things working.

Shane P. Hallam
08-15-2006, 04:25 PM

This is basically what I came to post. I said a week back that I gave Gallery and the offensive line as a whole until week 9 to show some major improvement. Shell might not be a great O-Line coach, but HOF OL Jackie Slater has a good reputation, and I think he can get things working.

I concur. He isn't a bust yet, but he def. doesn't look good. I think they have just moved him around a lot, and he hasn't been comfortable in any position. If he is out of shape though, bye bye!

elway777
08-15-2006, 04:41 PM
I would need your defenition of "bust" to answer this question.Everyone seems to have a unique view of a draft bust.

defensiveback23
08-15-2006, 04:49 PM
Bust is the wrong word, I'd call him a disapointment up to this point.

njx9
08-15-2006, 04:51 PM
in madden hes the fast person on the oline

and we all know that madden = real life. :roll:

The Great Jonathan Vilma
08-15-2006, 04:52 PM
IMO opinion alot can change in the future as he is still a young player who is learning. but to summarize his performance up to this point as to his draft status and what was expected, yes, i would say he's been a bust. doesn't mean he will always be a bust, but to this point he has IMO

Oaktown1981
08-15-2006, 05:07 PM
I wouldn't call him a bust yet but he needs to start playing better.

They should of started Gallery at LT in his rookie year.. Having him play LG then RT did nothing for him..

raiderfan_89
08-15-2006, 05:17 PM
i think that now that he's at LT with Shell in charge he could make serious steps in his development. As bigbluegiants mentioned he has been slow off the line and i'm not sure how much of that is physically being out of shape and how much is him being mentally out of it as he has lost that comfort he had in college. Hopefully shell can give him his fire back and he'll be the star we all saw.Right now its more mental if anything,he has been put under tons of pressure moving back to LT and shell saying this should be his pro bowl season,but thats what you want.This is only preseason so we'll have to wait for the regular season to see his progress under shell.

08-15-2006, 05:35 PM
I really like him and i think he just needs to regain is "beast" mentality that he had at Iowa.

It probably wouldn't hut if he was in better shape, but that is not the reason he is doing badly. I'll give him this year and some before i decide, but i am relatively confident he can turn it around with the proper coaching.

Most people don't realize that it takes a while for young o-lineman (especially tackles) to truly develope. Orlando Pace is the only one who has really been great from day one. Just look at Walter Jones and Ogden, those guys took some time to develop.

GermanSaint
08-15-2006, 05:36 PM
he kept under hist expactions, he will be nothing special, no future hall of famer as i predicted.

Ravens1991
08-15-2006, 05:37 PM
Ogden played LG for a season then slide over to LT.

Ravens1991
08-15-2006, 05:45 PM
some analyst on ESPN(that denver bronco OG) said to give Gallery time because of his switch to LT. He said the switch is like having a right handed person start writing with their left hand.

elway777
08-15-2006, 05:53 PM
some analyst on ESPN(that denver bronco OG) said to give Gallery time because of his switch to LT. He said the switch is like having a right handed person start writing with their left hand.

Mark Schlereth

Ravens1991
08-15-2006, 06:02 PM
yep.

Larry
08-15-2006, 08:48 PM
I'd say disappointment, not a bust just yet.

njx9
08-15-2006, 08:50 PM

for once, stink's got the right idea.

Paranoidmoonduck
08-15-2006, 08:57 PM

That would be a good argument had not Gallery been a LT in college.

Geo
08-15-2006, 09:00 PM
I'd give him a year at the LT position, and see how he progresses, before considering the label of bust.

elway777
08-15-2006, 09:02 PM
he kept under hist expactions, he will be nothing special, no future hall of famer as i predicted.

What a stupid comment. :?

Ravens1991
08-15-2006, 09:25 PM

well he spent to years at RT after getting into the NFL, image this, you write with your right hand for 3 years, then for 2 years you don't write at all with your right hand, then you are told to write with your right hand again, you would be a little rusty, give him some time.

draftguru151
08-15-2006, 09:30 PM
I don't think he is anywhere near a bust because he is struggling right now. But I really don't think the RT/LT switch is that big of an impact. He does just not have good form in pass blocking. He is over his feet too much and he is lunging, probably the two biggest mistakes you can make in pass blocking.

Paranoidmoonduck
08-15-2006, 09:50 PM

well he spent to years at RT after getting into the NFL, image this, you write with your right hand for 3 years, then for 2 years you don't write at all with your right hand, then you are told to write with your right hand again, you would be a little rusty, give him some time.

Actually he spent a year at guard and then a year at RT, but believe me, I want him to succeed just as much or more than anyone. It is evident he has a large body of work to do before he can be that pro-bowl player.

no love
08-15-2006, 11:39 PM
I think Gallery just needs more time, O-tackle is one of the hardest positions to learn in the NFL and requires most 3 years before they breakout. So apply the same rule of thumb you would for wr's and qb's to tackles.

Also this seems alot like what Kwame Harris went through with the Niners, he was poor at LT (mainly bc he was a RT in college and dosn't have the quick feet for LT), but then he struggled when put back at RT. He spent 2 years learning all the technique to play weakside and then was struggling and lost when put at RT, but by the end of last year he was playing alot more solid probably bc he had some time to get used to his NATURAL position. I expect that same process for Gallery but expect the end product to be much much better.

nobodyinparticular
08-16-2006, 12:19 AM

Actually he spent a year at guard and then a year at RT, but believe me, I want him to succeed just as much or more than anyone. It is evident he has a large body of work to do before he can be that pro-bowl player.

Again, that is wrong. He started the first game against Pittsburgh at LG, but then when Langston Walker was getting manhandled by Clark Hagans, was switched over to RT fulltime. At RT his first year he was actually pretty darn good. Not All-Pro, #2 overall good, but pretty darn good for a rookie. Then the idiot Colletto came in last year and messed up the entire offensive line. The line went from performing very efficiently in 2004 yto utterly atrocious in 2005 with the only consolation being that Gallery was the least horrible of the starting 5.

Splat
09-13-2006, 09:06 PM
What do you all think now?

draftguru151
09-13-2006, 09:09 PM
What do you all think now?

He got abused in 1 game doing the same things he did in preseason, why would anyone's opinion change?

Splat
09-13-2006, 09:13 PM
Look at the poll it was 50/50.

Paranoidmoonduck
09-13-2006, 09:29 PM
He actually got a lot better towards the end of the pre-season, but it was obvious either the coaching staff or Gallery himself had not prepared for Merrimen. Gallery got blown back by Shawne countless times, almost all of them due to not setting up correctly.

keylime_5
09-13-2006, 09:54 PM
For those of you who voted no, every left tackle who was a bust in NFL not caused by injury look like Gallery looks out there. The precedents say that Gallery is a bust until proven otherwise. Odds are against him on turning his career around

draftguru151
09-13-2006, 09:56 PM
For those of you who voted no, every left tackle who was a bust in NFL not caused by injury look like Gallery looks out there. The precedents say that Gallery is a bust until proven otherwise. Odds are against him on turning his career around

Gallery was good last season at RT and it is going to take time for the transition. Thinking he is going to go to the other side and be just as good right away is just ignorant. Some guys have such a hard time switching (Jordan Gross for example) they stay on the right side.

cunningham06
09-13-2006, 09:59 PM
I'd call him a bust.

Staubach12
09-13-2006, 10:02 PM
No. It's very naiive to think that he'll make a seamless transition to LT. That's just dumb. He'll be fine.

yourfavestoner
09-13-2006, 10:13 PM
I know you guys are harping a lot on the transition from RT to LT, but I think the fact that he was never able to beat out below average Barry Sims for the LT job says a lot.

Splat
09-13-2006, 10:14 PM
I know you guys are harping a lot on the transition from RT to LT, but I think the fact that he was never able to beat out below average Barry Sims for the LT job says a lot.

raiderfan_89
09-13-2006, 11:03 PM
I wouldn’t use the word bust he has allowed 6 sacks in 2 seasons this is his 3rd season and his 3rd O-line coach his 2nd head coach and has played Guard and RT and is now finally playing LT and needs to learn all over again..

He is having a bad preseason that’s true but I wouldn’t label him a bust just yet.you also need to put in the 20 false starts

Kurve
09-14-2006, 03:36 AM
Raiders tend to get the ****** end of the stick with there number 2 picks .... remember Darrell Russell he was a number 2 pick after Orlando Pace and he was such a bust and from the looks after this MN Game gallery plus the whole teams offense of line is a bust. Raiders should leave it up to this year if Gallery doesnt pan out half way as expected trade him before he doesnt accquire anymore value at all. Oh well im slowly getting used to the raiders suckin as long as i remember since the 90s even alot of those late 90 years they sucked and time and time they suck now too....exception of the Gruden Years which were short lived. Sometimes hard for me to beleive that as long Al is under control of this team the raiders really wont ever find there glory that they had back in the 70s 80s. I hope im wrong though....

Stufazz
09-14-2006, 06:05 AM
I wouldnt say he is a bust. Becuase he is good enough to start. However he was not the Left Tackle franchise player everyone expected. He will be a RT starter

GermanSaint
09-14-2006, 08:38 AM

why ? time is running , they gave him a lot of credit and predict him to be a ( sure ) future hall of famer , well at this point he is far away from it , he isnt really awful but he should start handling D-Line men and should use his "ultra" technique , he is soft , so was jeff faine and i predict so will be d´brick. in these days the maulers on OT have the better games.

portermvp84
09-14-2006, 12:35 PM
He's not a bust he has switched back and forth at postions, we gotta give him some time. He was pitiful Monday night he basically said come on in Merriman sack the quarterback.

yourfavestoner
09-14-2006, 01:10 PM

why ? time is running , they gave him a lot of credit and predict him to be a ( sure ) future hall of famer , well at this point he is far away from it , he isnt really awful but he should start handling D-Line men and should use his "ultra" technique , he is soft , so was jeff faine and i predict so will be d´brick. in these days the maulers on OT have the better games.

While D'Brick may not be a mauler, he is a much better technician than Gallery is.

bigbluedefense
09-14-2006, 01:24 PM
Im still sticking to my guns and giving him this season to prove himself. But I did notice one thing that should be of major concern.

He is out of shape. He's fat, slow, and lacking strength now. He doesn't look like the Gallery that came out of college, no way. I think his work ethic has gone to the toilet since he joined Oakland, and because of that he is not producing. I blame that on Gallery, and also the Raiders. They just have a bad organization right now from top to bottom. Poor coaching and poor attitude will rub off on players, and it seems like Gallery got complacent once the check came in the mail. Im still holding out hope, but it doesn't look good right now. Im still gonna give him till the end of the year though.

And having a real coach might help him out too...

yourfavestoner
09-14-2006, 01:36 PM
Im still sticking to my guns and giving him this season to prove himself. But I did notice one thing that should be of major concern.

He is out of shape. He's fat, slow, and lacking strength now. He doesn't look like the Gallery that came out of college, no way. I think his work ethic has gone to the toilet since he joined Oakland, and because of that he is not producing. I blame that on Gallery, and also the Raiders. They just have a bad organization right now from top to bottom. Poor coaching and poor attitude will rub off on players, and it seems like Gallery got complacent once the check came in the mail. Im still holding out hope, but it doesn't look good right now. Im still gonna give him till the end of the year though.

And having a real coach might help him out too...

I still think that if Gallery went to NY, Coughlin would have made him a great left tackle. I never agreed with the Boselli comparisons, as Boselli is one of the best to ever play the game, but it looks like what Gallery needed was a taskmaster like Coughlin.

Splat
09-14-2006, 05:48 PM
Bust or not I think we can all agree he is way over paid.

slightlyaraiderfan
09-14-2006, 05:50 PM
Of course you can say that in hindsight, but he was the #2 overall pick.

draftguru151
09-14-2006, 05:56 PM

Wow another great comment.

And saying he didn't beat out Sims for the LT spot is being ignorant, the coaches didn't put him at RT because Sims was playing well on the left side and never even put him on the left side. Who is better Jordan Gross or Travelle Wharton?

OzTitan
09-14-2006, 08:08 PM
My concern with Gallery is he doesn't have the arm length of a typical elite LT - 32 1/4 inches. Ferguson has 35 1/2, I think Pace has something like 38 inches and Alex Barron came out with 39 1/2 or something.

This, IMO, can be a big deal if he lacks exceptional lateral movement. Someone like Ferguson who is very quick on his feet may not have problems with a shorter arm length, but I see Gallery as a power LT and I think arm length is more important for guys of his nature, as they need to get to the DE before the DE gets around them, and the shorter your arms, the closer they can get before contact.

IMO, this *could* be a concern as the NFL is about speed rushing DE and OLB's these days. If you don't have exceptionally quick feet, you better have some long arms, and Gallery seems to have neither. Maybe he'd be better off at OG?

The Legend
09-14-2006, 08:10 PM
i still think its to early

dcarey20
09-14-2006, 08:34 PM
Yeah I would say he's a bust...he should be solid at the very least...and I can't say that I believe that he's solid.

He got absolutely torched by Merriman on 1 of his sacks...he pushed him back a yard and then just blew by him.

Shiver
09-14-2006, 09:15 PM
When you are drafted 2nd overall, you are expected to be an elite NFL Left Tackle. He doesn't have the arm length or athleticism to be such. At best he can be a solid RT.

raiderfan_89
09-14-2006, 09:31 PM
I know you guys are harping a lot on the transition from RT to LT, but I think the fact that he was never able to beat out below average Barry Sims for the LT job says a lot.It wasn't that he couldn't beat him out,they moved Gallery instantly,thinking he could play there a yr or 2 so that he could transition,but obviously it didn't work.He isn't a bust, but I feel if he doesn't start getting some pankcakes and opening up some holes for the original LJ ,he is gonzo.

smittyjs
09-14-2006, 09:54 PM
Robert Gallery (calf) will be out at least two-to-three weeks.

Oakland's left tackle wasn't successful in halting San Diego's pass rush in Week 1 and replacement Chad Slaughter isn't likely to fare much better versus the Ravens this Sunday. It's terrible news for all Raiders skill players and a team that was embarrassed late Monday night. Sep. 14 - 8:55 pm et

Paranoidmoonduck
09-15-2006, 12:36 AM
What's really shocking about Gallery is how much his technique has gone to **** since he was drafted. I don't know if people remember him as Iowa well, but this kid was amazingly sound technically when he got drafted.

Truth be told, I'm stumped by the whole thing. I'm gonna give Gallery until week 10 to show some improvement (the injury complicates things), then I'm gonna write him off.

Splat
09-15-2006, 09:42 AM
The Raiders could be without Robert Gallery for three weeks after the starting left tackle was diagnosed with a pulled calf muscle, Oakland head coach Art Shell said Thursday.

Not good.

drowe
09-15-2006, 09:49 AM
i voted bust.

if you use the #2 overall pick on an o-lineman, you expect him to be among the elite tackles in the game. this is his 3rd year and he got thrown around like a rag doll...meanwhile, aaron brooks is their qb when the coulda had rivers or big ben...and they're desperate for a WR and they coulda had fitz or roy williams. sean taylor would help that D and be a perfect fit for the raiders.

Splat
09-15-2006, 09:50 AM
i voted bust.
if you use the #2 overall pick on an o-lineman, you expect him to be among the elite tackles in the game. this is his 3rd year and he got thrown around like a rag doll...meanwhile, aaron brooks is their qb when the coulda had rivers or big ben...and they're desperate for a WR and they coulda had fitz or roy williams. sean taylor would help that D and be a perfect fit for the raiders.

I thought for sure they would take Fitz I'am glad they passed.

portermvp84
09-15-2006, 10:18 AM
Once agin it's still too early to wheather or not he is a bust or not. I do agree he is way to over payed.

Shiver
09-15-2006, 12:12 PM
i voted bust.

The Raiders keep passing on franchise Quarterbacks. :roll:

LonghornsLegend
09-15-2006, 12:58 PM
its so so easy to look back and talk about who they should of had now isnt it...do you know how many teams we could of done that with, what if the lions didnt draft mike williams and charles rogers, they could of been a playoff team....

oakland did what anyone would of done in that position, when you see a great LT, thats amazing coming out, you take him, it can never be overlooked to protect your qb's backside for his career...

its hard for me to go all the way to bust, he is kinda like a WR who came out WR but has played FS, SS, slot and outside WR...i wanna see him settle down for a year at LT, but he does look tired and slow

Splat
09-15-2006, 01:59 PM
Don't get me wrong I thought it was a great pick at the time I understand the pick for sure he was just a beast in college there was talk of him going #1 at times SD was really high on. I thought he would start from day one at LT he was that good kinda hard to live up to that kinda hype he could still turn it around I just don't think he will ever be the next Roaf or Pace kinda player.

portermvp84
09-15-2006, 04:33 PM
i voted bust.

The Raiders keep passing on franchise Quarterbacks. :roll:

I know we need to ******* one in this draft maybe Troy smith the man can do it pass and run could turn the franchise around. i also wouldn't mind Brady Quinn either.