PDA

View Full Version : Fighting in Hockey

frogstomp
04-20-2007, 08:29 PM
I think it's absolutely idiotic. Watching the end of the New Jersey/Tampa game, with the Tampa players grasping at straws to "change momentum." Screw that. It's a waste of my time, and they are never decent fights, anyways.

Big Mike
04-20-2007, 08:29 PM
i have always agreed

Vince Lombardi
04-20-2007, 08:45 PM
Nothing wrong with a good donnybrook.

princefielder28
04-20-2007, 08:46 PM
Fights are very uneventful now-a-days

Philliez01
04-20-2007, 08:49 PM
As an NHL fan, I am not a huge fan of fighting. It's barbarian to some, which I can understand, but unfortunately they won't ban it as it's what some people like to see. The idea of two people on skates beating each other tends to be exciting for them and I for one, am not happy about it.

There's just no place. You don't have to make it a powderpuff league, allow checking etc., but fighting is just.....not "hockey" to me. I think of aggressive players, not "goons".

thule
04-20-2007, 08:50 PM
Fights make hockey.

neko4
04-20-2007, 08:53 PM
Im in a Law class at my high school and we just had to do a mock civil case about a hockey fight

I, the throw away
04-20-2007, 09:02 PM
Fights make hockey.

And how pathetic is that? New Jersey didn't even sell out in a pivotal game 5. The NHL is tanking.

art vandelay
04-20-2007, 09:05 PM
The refs need to let the fighting go on longer and not break them up so much and so early.

EdReedUnstoppable
04-20-2007, 09:07 PM
Fighting has a place in hockey and it needs to remain in hockey. It can change the momentum of a game or set the tone for a game or series if you make the playoffs. But the most important part of fighting is allows the players to police themselves.

I, the throw away
04-20-2007, 09:08 PM
But the most important part of fighting is allows the players to police themselves.

That's why they employ that strategy in the other major sports. Oh, wait.

Jensen
04-20-2007, 09:09 PM
Hockey would not be as fun to watch without the fights, and more fans would be less interested in it. When there is a fight, if you listen to the crowd, they are cheering as loud as they are when their team scores a goal. One of your teammates gets cheap-shotted and you don't fight, what do you do? Sit around and say "Please don't do that, it's mean."? A lot of times, when your team needs a spark, some players will go out and fight to do it. They have heart, and are warriors. I'm not saying that you should just go out and fight for the hell of it, but it is neccessary in hockey.

EdReedUnstoppable
04-20-2007, 09:09 PM
That's why they employ that strategy in the other major sports. Oh, wait.

Who cares about other sports? All ya need in life is hockey!!

badgerbacker
04-20-2007, 09:10 PM
Fights are a necessary part of hockey. The reason they haven't been banned is not because "it's what people want to see," it is because it keeps players safe. Cheap shots in hockey are kept to a somewhat minimum because a player knows that he has to deal with the teammates of the player that he goes after. There was a good article about this a while back, but I'm not sure if I could find it again.

Basically it comes down to, fights allow players to police the league themselves. Players think twice about their actions when there are enforcers willing to throw down to protect teammates.