PDA

View Full Version : Most Likely To Put Out Classic Hip-Hop Album

jagsfreak27
04-21-2007, 10:47 AM
1. Dr. Dre- Everthing he has ever touched has turned to gold, and his new album Detox will come out soon.
2. Nas- He has put out two classics so far
3. Kanye West- His first two have come very very close and this fall he will put out Graduation.
4. Jay-Z- A number of classics but every album gets worse and worse.
5. Mos Def- He is great but puts out to much rock-rap
6. Saigon- SOOO MUCH HYPE
7. Lupe Fiasco- I think we could see one from him.
8. Little Brother- The Minstrel Show was a great album, and they will soon put out Getback.
9. T.I- One of these days a southern rapper has to put out something decent.
10. Ludacris- He has become much more mature with Release Therapy.

Rob S
04-21-2007, 10:51 AM
TI and Luda made your list......that more or less invalidates any cred you have in the area of hip hop. Not to mention that your list is totally viod of any underground rappers.

jagsfreak27
04-21-2007, 10:56 AM
TI and Luda made your list......that more or less invalidates any cred you have in the area of hip hop. Not to mention that your list is totally viod of any underground rappers.
I didnt want to put in any underground rappers that nobody has ever heard of also luda has realy grown up and id be willing to bet you havent heard Release Therapy. T.I has put out some good CD's, and with all these southern rappers the word classic will be redefined

cardsalltheway
04-21-2007, 11:04 AM

Little Brother is kinda underground.

Rob S
04-21-2007, 11:08 AM
Little Brother is kinda underground. TI has never put out anything I would consider close to classic or even good and I dont think he has the ability to. As for Luda, everything so far has been crap and I dont see how you jump from utter garbage to classic.

jagsfreak27
04-21-2007, 11:17 AM
Little Brother is kinda underground. TI has never put out anything I would consider close to classic or even good and I dont think he has the ability to. As for Luda, everything so far has been crap and I dont see how you jump from utter garbage to classic. I dont think its that out of the question the King was the best selling rap album of 2006, and Release Therapy won the grammy for best Rap album (yes I know the grammys are a joke).

jagsfreak27
04-21-2007, 12:01 PM
Little Brother is kinda underground. TI has never put out anything I would consider close to classic or even good and I dont think he has the ability to. As for Luda, everything so far has been crap and I dont see how you jump from utter garbage to classic. Like I said listen to Releaser Therapy

SugarSean
04-21-2007, 12:02 PM
1. Dr. Dre- Everthing he has ever touched has turned to gold, and his new album Detox will come out soon.
2. Nas- He has put out two classics so far
3. Kanye West- His first two have come very very close and this fall he will put out Graduation.
4. Jay-Z- A number of classics but every album gets worse and worse.
5. Mos Def- He is great but puts out to much rock-rap
6. Saigon- SOOO MUCH HYPE
7. Lupe Fiasco- I think we could see one from him.
8. Little Brother- The Minstrel Show was a great album, and they will soon put out Getback.
9. T.I- One of these days a southern rapper has to put out something decent.
10. Ludacris- He has become much more mature with Release Therapy.

I agree with Dr. Dre, if he ever actually puts out Detox rather than just talking about it. Mos Def definitely has the talent and Saigon is the next big thing in hip-hop. I have all the faith in the world that Sai will put out at least one classic album in his career. Lupe already has a classic album, I don't know if you've ever heard of it tho. It's called Food & Liquor. Have you ever listened to Food & Liquor or College Dropout for that matter? Those two albums are undeniably classics. And lots of people, including me, consider Trap Muzik to be a classic album. It's one of the better albums ever to come out of the south, but I don't think TI will ever come close to topping it. His albums have been pretty ****** since then.

Shiver
04-21-2007, 12:05 PM
There is already a Rap thread, why make a new one?

jagsfreak27
04-21-2007, 12:06 PM
I agree with Dr. Dre, if he ever actually puts out Detox rather than just talking about it. Mos Def definitely has the talent and Saigon is the next big thing in hip-hop. I have all the faith in the world that Sai will put out at least one classic album in his career. Lupe already has a classic album, I don't know if you've ever heard of it tho. It's called Food & Liquor. Have you ever listened to Food & Liquor or College Dropout for that matter? Those two albums are undeniably classics. And lots of people, including me, consider Trap Muzik to be a classic album. It's one of the better albums ever to come out of the south, but I don't think TI will ever come close to topping it. His albums have been pretty ****** since then.
Thank you love Food & Liquor and College Dropout I consider both of them classics but a lot of people on this ite dont + rep.

jagsfreak27
04-21-2007, 12:07 PM
There is already a Rap thread, why make a new one? I couldent find the old one.

SugarSean
04-21-2007, 12:18 PM
Thank you love Food & Liquor and College Dropout I consider both of them classics but a lot of people on this ite dont + rep.

Thanks, dude. Both albums came at times when hip-hop really needed them. They both were a breath of fresh air. Lupe's got a new album droppin this summer and I know it's gonna be ill. The kid's got "IT". Lupe outspit Jay-Z twice already in his short career. Once on Pressure and once on the Sittin Sideways remix. Food & Liquor will still be listened to 20 years from now. College Dropout was two tracks away from being a perfect album. If you take out Kanye's workout plan and that song with Ludacris, then that album woulda been flawless. I'm not sure what criteria some people judge music with. Maybe Lupe doesn't use the n-word enough or talk about rims and guns and hoes enough to satisfy people's tastes.

snuff
04-21-2007, 12:23 PM
Lupes pretty boring if you ask me. I really only listen to Kick Push 2 off the CD.

What constitutes classic hip-hop album?

bigbluedefense
04-21-2007, 12:27 PM
Lupe is actually one of my favorite right now. I loved his album, and his new single (sort of new) "Coulda Been" is real nice.

To be honest, even though many won't agree with me, I don't mind TI or Luda. They make good music. Well...TI has a nice flow, thats about it. But Luda makes good music.

BuckNaked
04-21-2007, 12:36 PM
Lupes pretty boring if you ask me. I really only listen to Kick Push 2 off the CD.

The songs I have been listening to off Food and Liquor are Kick Push, I Gotcha, Daydreamin and The Instrumental.

SugarSean
04-21-2007, 12:48 PM

See, I hated Kick, Push with a passion. But to each, his own. I'm probably the only one that doesn't like it. My roommate loves it. In my opinion, a classic album is an album that never gets old, like Reasonable Doubt or Illmatic. Or if you're from the New Orleans area (like I am) 400 degreez. You can listen to a classic album no matter what mood you're in and you can still feel it. Stillmatic, The Blueprint, It Was Written, etc. Some people have broader definitions of classic albums, like the people at MTV news. I don't know how they do it, but they considered The Documentary, Chicken & Beer, The Carter I and II, and Straight Outta Cashville classics.

SugarSean
04-21-2007, 12:53 PM
The songs I have been listening to off Food and Liquor are Kick Push, I Gotcha, Daydreamin and The Instrumental.

Buckedneked, I'm feelin you on I Gotcha, but my favorite track on that album is probably Hurt Me Soul. That was my myspace song forever. After that, I like He Say, She Say, Steady Mobbin, Kick, Push II, and Pressure.

etk
04-21-2007, 12:54 PM
Stupid thread, stupid list, etc.

I also agree that your opinion is invalidated by putting T.I. on the list. I guess that's just a way to measure how dead hip-hop is, because T.I. is considered a lyricist and saviour, hahaha. He rhymes with the same grade school words in all of his verses, and the reason nobody "knows" him is because he sucks and no one cares.

Nobody is going to put out a classic defining album, the rap game is oversaturated to the max and there's no room for one dude to take over.

SugarSean
04-21-2007, 01:16 PM

I also agree that your opinion is invalidated by putting T.I. on the list. I guess that's just a way to measure how dead hip-hop is, because T.I. is considered a lyricist and saviour, hahaha. He rhymes with the same grade school words in all of his verses, and the reason nobody "knows" him is because he sucks and no one cares.

Nobody is going to put out a classic defining album, the rap game is oversaturated to the max and there's no room for one dude to take over.

This from somebody with Nas as his sig. Comedian Mike Britt said hip-hop ain't dead, but it's buggin the **** out and I agree wholeheartedly. You just gotta look harder for quality hip-hop. It's out there, but the wack **** is dominating the airwaves. Now if I hear a couple more arguments over if Young Jeezy or Lil Wayne is the king of the rap game, then maybe I'll have to finally admit that it is dead.

etk
04-21-2007, 01:20 PM
It's out there, but the wack **** is dominating the airwaves. Now if I hear a couple more arguments over if Young Jeezy or Lil Wayne is the king of the rap game, then maybe I'll have to finally admit that it is dead.

You just answered yourself right there.

SugarSean
04-21-2007, 01:29 PM
Not necessarily. Maybe it's more accurate to say it's on life support, but I can name about 10 albums that came out last year that would make you swear that hip-hop is just fine. I compare hip-hop's situation to boxing's. People claim that they're dead, when in fact, the focus has just shifted. There's lots of talent, you just gotta look a lil harder to find it. Casual fans don't know anything at all, but it seems like their voices are heard the loudest in these arguments.

snuff
04-21-2007, 01:52 PM
how is hiphop dead? I dont get you etk.

jagsfreak27
04-21-2007, 02:18 PM
Hip-Hop is not dead just one style is dead

etk
04-21-2007, 02:19 PM
how is hiphop dead? I dont get you etk.

It's dead because the only rappers who have mainstream success can't rap. The only way to make the Billboard top 100 is to make a new dance. Hip Hop has been murdered by these "rappers".

It's nothing against guys who actually make good music or can write good lyrics, as I'm sure all of us can agree that there are still some good artists out there. It's just sad when Nas comes out with his album and then rappers come out and say "Hip Hop ain't dead", when they're the reason it died. Then it's sad to see guys like Phrost here who have a sig of Lil Wayne saying "backing the Rap Renaissance."

jagsfreak27
04-21-2007, 02:28 PM
It's dead because the only rappers who have mainstream success can't rap. The only way to make the Billboard top 100 is to make a new dance. Hip Hop has been murdered by these "rappers".

It's nothing against guys who actually make good music or can write good lyrics, as I'm sure all of us can agree that there are still some good artists out there. It's just sad when Nas comes out with his album and then rappers come out and say "Hip Hop ain't dead", when they're the reason it died. Then it's sad to see guys like Phrost here who have a sig of Lil Wayne saying "backing the Rap Renaissance."
Watchu gonna do when your audience considers Nelly old school, and 50 Cent the best rapper af all time?

etk
04-21-2007, 02:32 PM
Watchu gonna do when your audience considers Nelly old school, and 50 Cent the best rapper af all time?

That's why I listen to R&B way more than I listen to hip-hop nowadays.

snuff
04-21-2007, 03:15 PM
R&B is like the singing version of mainstream rap...

bethemooseman3
04-21-2007, 03:33 PM
Not trying to be disrespectful, or trying to put down anyone's opinions, but I have always wondered what the allure or intrigue of rap/hip-hop was. As a professional musician, I personally despise that style of music, and I don't understand its value. Can I get someone's honest opinion on this

Paranoidmoonduck
04-21-2007, 03:38 PM
Not trying to be disrespectful, or trying to put down anyone's opinions, but I have always wondered what the allure or intrigue of rap/hip-hop was. As a professional musician, I personally despise that style of music, and I don't understand its value. Can I get someone's honest opinion on this

I don't know how, as a professional musician, you expect someone to justify liking a certain kind of music. I could do on about rythmic patterns of voice and beat combining to make fantastic music, but it just doesn't seem neccesary. If you're a musician and you despise any kind of music, you'll likely never give it enough of a chance to genuinely like it.

As for the OP question, I think that if Lupe Fiasco can get one good producer and not the grab-bag of them he had on Food and Liquor, he has the best shot. He's really an amazing lyricist.

etk
04-21-2007, 04:04 PM
R&B is like the singing version of mainstream rap...

That's your opinion, and I don't care for it. The fact is that R&B keeps on improving with time as production improves, whereas hip-hop is steadily declining. Why don't you go listen to some Hitler speeches snuff, since you're too cool for R&B?

snuff
04-21-2007, 04:13 PM
ohhhhhhhhhhhhh..... Hitler speeches!!!!!! Why dont you go listen to some FDR speeches.........

Hitler sucked btw... Rommel is where it is at...

Hip-hop isn't declining your just not listening.. I am surprised that you don't like mainstream since you don't even listen to the lyrics you just go off beats. Production is declining if anything is in Hip-Hop and R&B.

etk
04-21-2007, 04:15 PM
Why would I listen to FDR speeches? I'm not even American.

Rommel was a field marshal, when would he make public speeches?

snuff
04-21-2007, 04:22 PM
I know what Rommel was... I was commenting on his overall presence.

By means of shrewd lies, unremittingly repeated, it is possible to make people believe that heaven is hell -- and hell heaven. The greater the lie, the more readily it will be believed.

duckseason
04-21-2007, 04:24 PM

The value of hip hop/rap is vast, yet subject to opinion and interpretation. To begin, I would say that if you were to put a collection of music from all the different genres together in a time capsule, 100 years from now people would look to the hip hop collection to provide the most accurate insight into what life was like during this era. It is the most matter of fact type of music we have. A general narration of reality in today's society. Of course, there is plenty of horrible rap music to go along with all the great rap that's out there. Just as with all other genres. The two should not be spoken of as one in the same. I suspect you've only been exposed to the very dimmest end of this broad spectrum.

SugarSean
04-21-2007, 04:55 PM
I think a Lupe Fiasco album with 9th Wonder as the main producer would be the blueprint for a classic album.

jagsfreak27
04-21-2007, 05:08 PM
I think a Lupe Fiasco album with 9th Wonder as the main producer would be the blueprint for a classic album. With beats by Kanye and for Dre to have some hand in it.

Hines
04-21-2007, 05:10 PM
lupe is awesome

my fav song on that cd is hustlaz song
then kick push

snuff
04-21-2007, 07:23 PM
Why would you want Dre with Lupe? That is a terrible combination...

SugarSean
04-21-2007, 07:47 PM
Yeah, I would have to agree. Listen to some of Little Brother's stuff. Check out the Minstrel Show and you'll see why I think 9th Wonder would be the perfect complement to Lupe.

snuff
04-21-2007, 07:51 PM
9th wonder is repetitive and rather boring a lot of the time.

SugarSean
04-21-2007, 07:59 PM
I like his style. Who would you like to see Lupe work with?

Paranoidmoonduck
04-21-2007, 08:05 PM
I like his style. Who would you like to see Lupe work with?

I'd love to see him work with Stoupe, but I doubt it ever happens.

WhisperSeek
04-21-2007, 08:12 PM
Lupe's album was hands down the best hip/hop album of 2006, IMO. I wouldn't go quite as far as to say it was a classic, but I'm willing to bet his next (and final) two albums will both be classics. He's already put himself out there.

I can honestly say that "The Instrumental" is one of the greatest hip/hop songs I've ever heard in my life.

And I'll go ahead and co-sign to the guy who said that all you need to do is create a new dance to make billboard. It's a damn shame. I don't even listen to the local hip/hop station here anymore. It's all trash. I now only look forward to Lupe (AKA the best lyricist in the game right now other than Nas) future album and maybe Kanye's "Graduation."

WhisperSeek
04-21-2007, 08:14 PM
Why would you want Dre with Lupe? That is a terrible combination...

Word.

Lupe and either Just Blaze or Danja would be an interesting combination though.

SugarSean
04-21-2007, 08:18 PM
I'd love to see him work with Stoupe, but I doubt it ever happens.

Who is Stoupe? I've never heard of him, what should I check out for?

snuff
04-21-2007, 08:18 PM
I don't really care who Lupe works with. I think 9th and Kanye would be ideal for him.

I don't see Stoupe fitting him either.

Stoupe is from Jedi Mind Tricks.

SugarSean
04-21-2007, 08:30 PM
What about Saigon? Anybody heard when his cd is droppin? I'm tired of waitin for it, it's almost got to the point where I don't care anymore.

etk
04-21-2007, 08:56 PM
9th wonder is repetitive and rather boring a lot of the time.

I was listening to a Murs CD that my brother put on in the car, and that's exactly what I thought. It almost sounds like he's trying to copy DJ Premier with some of his beats and most of his drum patterns.

etk
04-21-2007, 08:57 PM
Lupe and Danja would be an interesting combination though.

There's very few artists that would work well with Danja. Lupe definitely isn't one of them, although it would be interesting (not a good thing).

ny10804
04-21-2007, 09:09 PM
At first glance, Most Likely To Put Out may appear in violation of the "PG-13" rule.

wiscbadgerfootball
04-21-2007, 09:14 PM

hip hop is definitely not dead

Nas, Mos Def, Talib, The Roots, Kanye, Common, Dead Prez, Jedi Mind Tricks, Immortal Technique, One Be Lo

duckseason
04-21-2007, 09:22 PM

Nas, Mos Def, Talib, The Roots, Kanye, Common, Dead Prez, Jedi Mind Tricks, Immortal Technique, One Be Lo

You forgot to mention Tony Parker-
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/4742/8105wo0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

jagsfreak27
04-21-2007, 09:22 PM

Yeah just hip-hop on radio is dead

etk
04-21-2007, 09:27 PM
Yeah just hip-hop on radio is dead

Well gee what do you think?

Nitschke-Hawk
04-21-2007, 09:37 PM
I get exactly what etk is saying, I've seen the new "Classic" video with Rakim, Nas, Kanye West and KRS-1 2 times and I love it, I'm in awe when I watch it, I hate most of this garbage out now. Put on that video then put on something by these idiots with new dances, the latter of these two shouldn't be considered rap, they need their own genre, called "crap" or something. However I'm not like some who dislike most rap outside NY and other assorted rappers with in depth lyrics. I like Luda, don't like T.I., Three 6 Mafia's and the rest of HCP has been my ish for a long time now, they were relatively unknown for the longest time, and today they still do what they know, they don't try to be like anybody else, it's just that their singles have caught on more because they're more attractive to the average listener. Too many are in it for the money with no real talent as a producer or rapper yet somehow make it big doing a dance song/pop song with a catchy hook and terrible, simple lyrics with a simple delivery. I also love what Kanye has done because his lyrics are top notch, he's a great producer, doesn't sound like anybody else and still makes hits and great songs. I kinda rambled with that post.

jagsfreak27
04-21-2007, 09:43 PM
I get exactly what etk is saying, I've seen the new "Classic" video with Rakim, Nas, Kanye West and KRS-1 2 times and I love it, I'm in awe when I watch it, I hate most of this garbage out now. Put on that video then put on something by these idiots with new dances, the latter of these two shouldn't be considered rap, they need their own genre, called "crap" or something. However I'm not like some who dislike most rap outside NY and other assorted rappers with in depth lyrics. I like Luda, don't like T.I., Three 6 Mafia's and the rest of HCP has been my ish for a long time now, they were relatively unknown for the longest time, and today they still do what they know, they don't try to be like anybody else, it's just that their singles have caught on more because they're more attractive to the average listener. Too many are in it for the money with no real talent as a producer or rapper yet somehow make it big doing a dance song/pop song with a catchy hook and terrible, simple lyrics with a simple delivery. I also love what Kanye has done because his lyrics are top notch, he's a great producer, doesn't sound like anybody else and still makes hits and great songs. I kinda rambled with that post. I love both versions of Classic

wiscbadgerfootball
04-21-2007, 09:51 PM
yeah that song is sweet

jagsfreak27
04-21-2007, 10:19 PM
I hope Kanye hurries up with Graduation I heard late August was the time of release

BuckNaked
04-21-2007, 10:19 PM
I think i'm going to go play it right now.

Paranoidmoonduck
04-21-2007, 10:20 PM
Almost every type of music has moved from a golden age to an overcommercialized and overprocessed age. There is solid hip-hop being made today, but there is a lot less motivation on the part of record companies to sign "risk" rap artists when there has already been a money-making equation established.

Perhaps hip-hop will move out of this phase soon (unlikely, considering rock quite possibly still hasn't recovered from what the 80's did to it), perhaps mainstream rap will still sound like crap for years.

However, there are always people willing to recognize talent and take a gamble, and there are certainly young lyricists out there with tons of potential.

Perhaps it ain't the golden age, but I'll take what I can get.

jagsfreak27
04-21-2007, 10:23 PM
Almost every type of music has moved from a golden age to an overcommercialized and overprocessed age. There is solid hip-hop being made today, but there is a lot less motivation on the part of record companies to sign "risk" rap artists when there has already been a money-making equation established.

Perhaps hip-hop will move out of this phase soon (unlikely, considering rock quite possibly still hasn't recovered from what the 80's did to it), perhaps mainstream rap will still sound like crap for years.

However, there are always people willing to recognize talent and take a gamble, and there are certainly young lyricists out there with tons of potential.

Perhaps it ain't the golden age, but I'll take what I can get. Well put + rep when I get it back

wiscbadgerfootball
04-21-2007, 10:33 PM
it depends on your view "underground" rap would seemingly not be dead.. if you ask me, Rock is pretty dead right now

WhisperSeek
04-21-2007, 10:37 PM
There's very few artists that would work well with Danja. Lupe definitely isn't one of them, although it would be interesting (not a good thing).

Well, you can't really make an assumption like that yet, considering that Danja doesn't really have a distinct sound. He's a very multi-dimentional producer.

It'd be interesting to hear a serious drum pattern or choir-esque instrumentals behind Lupe's vocals.

etk
04-21-2007, 10:44 PM
Well, you can't really make an assumption like that yet, considering that Danja doesn't really have a distinct sound. He's a very multi-dimentional producer.

It'd be interesting to hear a serious drum pattern or choir-esque instrumentals behind Lupe's vocals.

You are delusional if you think Lupe can record music to Danja production. Danja uses pretty distinct drum patterns and loves to have techno-ish sounds in his beats. Most of his beats are also uptempo and difficult to rap to. The only artists that can work with him are established artists who want to experiment with new styles. Lupe's debut album featured underground producers or sample-heavy producers. That's on the opposite spectrum of Danja's beats. I can't see Lupe rapping on We Takin' Over or Wonder Woman, sorry!

You say it would be interesting to hear, obviously it woukld be interesting to hear anyone work with Danja. It is a complete mismatch, however, and it would never happen.

snuff
04-21-2007, 10:54 PM
I can see Lupe working with all these people:
Amp-Live(stretching it a little)
Illmind
S1
Kno
9th Wonder
Nicolay
Kanye
Evidence
DJ Kalil
Kanye
Rjd2(pushing it)
Hi-Tek

And others that I can't think of.

What happened to Sly btw.

bethemooseman3
04-22-2007, 10:12 AM
The value of hip hop/rap is vast, yet subject to opinion and interpretation. To begin, I would say that if you were to put a collection of music from all the different genres together in a time capsule, 100 years from now people would look to the hip hop collection to provide the most accurate insight into what life was like during this era. It is the most matter of fact type of music we have. A general narration of reality in today's society. Of course, there is plenty of horrible rap music to go along with all the great rap that's out there. Just as with all other genres. The two should not be spoken of as one in the same. I suspect you've only been exposed to the very dimmest end of this broad spectrum.

I see rap as musical barbarism. People speaking over the bare bones of what someone may call music. I wrote samples for a rapper in Nashville when I was 9. It wasn't difficult, and showed no element of critical musical thinking. It is not with the music that my horror lies, but with the fans. It is frightening to think that after hundreds of years of intelligently thought out harmonic patterns, and chord progressions, and the invention of blues and rock and roll, that this is what it has wrought. And the fact people glorify it is a strange idea to me. It is definitely not that I have not enjoyed what everyone says is "good rap". I think it is because people get stuck in the shallow and don't care to dig much deeper.

jagsfreak27
04-22-2007, 10:44 AM
I see rap as musical barbarism. People speaking over the bare bones of what someone may call music. I wrote samples for a rapper in Nashville when I was 9. It wasn't difficult, and showed no element of critical musical thinking. It is not with the music that my horror lies, but with the fans. It is frightening to think that after hundreds of years of intelligently thought out harmonic patterns, and chord progressions, and the invention of blues and rock and roll, that this is what it has wrought. And the fact people glorify it is a strange idea to me. It is definitely not that I have not enjoyed what everyone says is "good rap". I think it is because people get stuck in the shallow and don't care to dig much deeper. 20 bucks this guy does not make another post

jets future
04-22-2007, 11:13 AM
50 cent schould be in there

and 50 cent and emminem duet album schould be up there too

BuckNaked
04-22-2007, 11:15 AM

You're a joke.

jagsfreak27
04-22-2007, 11:15 AM

Why there are rumors that after this CD he is done? and Em lost one of his best friends

duckseason
04-22-2007, 11:21 AM
I see rap as musical barbarism. People speaking over the bare bones of what someone may call music. I wrote samples for a rapper in Nashville when I was 9. It wasn't difficult, and showed no element of critical musical thinking. It is not with the music that my horror lies, but with the fans. It is frightening to think that after hundreds of years of intelligently thought out harmonic patterns, and chord progressions, and the invention of blues and rock and roll, that this is what it has wrought. And the fact people glorify it is a strange idea to me. It is definitely not that I have not enjoyed what everyone says is "good rap". I think it is because people get stuck in the shallow and don't care to dig much deeper.
Wow. Ok. Obviously you're entitled to your opinion, but to be honest, you come off as incredibly ignorant in this post. Please, if you will, explain to me what makes the average hip hop track so much more basic than the average pop, rock, techno, or country tune. Also, why would that even matter? Are twinkies better than apples because they have a shiny wrapper and a cloying cream filling?

I can't speak for the masses, but for me personally, rap music provides raw insight into a vast array of interesting and pertinent topics. Some other genres are often dominated by just a handful of topics, such as love. Seems to me that your hatred would be more fitting if it were directed at one of those much more limited genres. Such as pop. Or maybe that is actually where you intended to direct these comments. Seeing as there is a lot of "rap" music that definitely falls into the "pop" category. It would be understandable if you confused the two. And please don't mistake me for someone who is an advocate of silly ass pop music.

In reality, there are many incredible musicians and especially lyricists in the world of hip hop. A fact that you seem to be unaware of. Since you claim to have actually been exposed to "good rap," please let us know exactly what that was, and why it was so barbaric.

etk
04-22-2007, 11:27 AM

You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

.....BURN IN HELL JETS FUTURE

jets future
04-22-2007, 01:41 PM
You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

.....BURN IN HELL JETS FUTURE

50 alway makes hot albums, and his new albums have a lot of potenial. he has a better chance than a t.i. he schould be up there

bethemooseman3
04-22-2007, 02:15 PM
Wow. Ok. Obviously you're entitled to your opinion, but to be honest, you come off as incredibly ignorant in this post. Please, if you will, explain to me what makes the average hip hop track so much more basic than the average pop, rock, techno, or country tune. Also, why would that even matter? Are twinkies better than apples because they have a shiny wrapper and a cloying cream filling?

I can't speak for the masses, but for me personally, rap music provides raw insight into a vast array of interesting and pertinent topics. Some other genres are often dominated by just a handful of topics, such as love. Seems to me that your hatred would be more fitting if it were directed at one of those much more limited genres. Such as pop. Or maybe that is actually where you intended to direct these comments. Seeing as there is a lot of "rap" music that definitely falls into the "pop" category. It would be understandable if you confused the two. And please don't mistake me for someone who is an advocate of silly ass pop music.

In reality, there are many incredible musicians and especially lyricists in the world of hip hop. A fact that you seem to be unaware of. Since you claim to have actually been exposed to "good rap," please let us know exactly what that was, and why it was so barbaric.

This is what I wanted. An honest, heart-felt, deep opinion. Sorry if I had to come off as an ogre before, but I find it easier to get honesty out of a person who has been irritated. No harm done, and I don't despise rap. I just wanted to harbor someone's opinions. I completely respect your tastes. Thank you for not acting like a jerk-off like most people would after they read someone's differing opinions.

etk
04-22-2007, 02:27 PM
50 alway makes hot albums, and his new albums have a lot of potenial. he has a better chance than a t.i. he schould be up there

He has a better chance of putting out a classic R&B album. All he does is sing because he knows he's in the bottom 10th percentile of lyricists in the rap game.

He can't put out a classic album because:

1. He can't rap. His lyrics suck and he's annoying. He's just a complete commercial sellout, straight down to the commercial "beef".
2. He sings too many of his hooks to be taken seriously as a rap act.

duckseason
04-22-2007, 02:51 PM
This is what I wanted. An honest, heart-felt, deep opinion. Sorry if I had to come off as an ogre before, but I find it easier to get honesty out of a person who has been irritated. No harm done, and I don't despise rap. I just wanted to harbor someone's opinions. I completely respect your tastes. Thank you for not acting like a jerk-off like most people would after they read someone's differing opinions.

To say that I'm shocked by your response would be an understatement. I was ready for war! haha. Thanks.

jagsfreak27
04-22-2007, 02:51 PM
Does anyone know of any good hip-hop websites?

Paranoidmoonduck
04-22-2007, 03:07 PM
I can see Lupe working with all these people:

Rjd2(pushing it)

Considering that RJD2 is doing mostly indie rock production these days, it is pushing it, but I think I would probably bust a nut if he did an album with Lupe.

The less hip-hop RJD2 does, the more it makes me cry.

wiscbadgerfootball
04-22-2007, 04:07 PM
Does anyone know of any good hip-hop websites?

really wish I did.. try searching on google.. we should start a forum

wogitalia
04-23-2007, 07:27 AM
Interesting topic. For me the biggest problem going around is the production that is "good" today. Im not a Kanye fan at all, all his songs sound the same, I vastly prefer him as a rapper than as a producer, Im in the minority, but his sound as a producer just sounds like a lame assed rip off of the past. No progression.

There are some talented guys out there, but for the most part Im "impressed" now if an album has 4 well produced tracks on it. The art of creating a good bassline or at least sampling one seems to have died. Thats what drove the beats of guys like Premo and Pete Rock when Hip Hop was in its prime. Beats that you could chill to or get down to, now its an either/or situation, or neither.

Another thing that irks me is the whole "southern" thing. I dont have a geographical connection with the whole being in another country, so I dont have a bias, but the southern sound is just awful. There are some really good beats, but the quality of rapping is 3rd grade at best. I mean Luda is solid, but compared to most of his compatriots he looks like a lyrical genius, its pathetic. Guys like TI, Lil Wayne, Lil (whoever) and co should not be recording. Just no talent.

There is still some solid stuff out there though. JMT's newest was rock solid, Brother Ali has great production and actually has something to say. I actually liked the dark feel to the new Snoop album(easily his best in a long time). But it really says a lot that the majority of my playlist at the moment is not even from this decade.

One last thing... Rappers taking themselves too seriously. I dont like him, or the vast majority of his music, but P. Diddy at least gets respect for not taking himself as serious as some other guys. He knows what he is(pop-rap) and he caters to that. The worst thing happening at the moment are all these guys making pop music that think they are hard or talented. You have big money backing on the production, not skills. In a way you have to respect 50 for that much, he knows what he is doing, even if it is a complete waste of some of the best production around.

What I would like to see is Eminem release a new album going back to 313 style. Now that would be worth buying.