PDA

View Full Version : Is Alex Brown on his way out of Chicago??

DaBears0530
04-21-2007, 12:42 PM
with the emergence of phenom Mark Anderson it looks like Browns days are numbered.

KBear
04-21-2007, 12:48 PM
Anderson still has to prove he can be an every down DE. And its not like Brown has a big salary nor does Anderson make enough to make it worth while trading or cutting Brown at the moment. A surplus of good DLine talent is not a bad thing to have. I see no reason why Brown needs to be cut or traded. Now his days as a starter might be numbered, but thats a different story.

DaBears0530
04-21-2007, 12:52 PM
I like him alot, but him and Ogunleye under produced last year. we need more production out of them to make up for the loss of Lance Briggs.

awfullyquiet
04-21-2007, 02:45 PM
Anderson still has to prove he can be an every down DE. And its not like Brown has a big salary nor does Anderson make enough to make it worth while trading or cutting Brown at the moment. A surplus of good DLine talent is not a bad thing to have. I see no reason why Brown needs to be cut or traded. Now his days as a starter might be numbered, but thats a different story.

Concurred.

Anderson is hit or miss on the run though, although he's gotten better, while alex brown still has the upper hand on it. i see anderson still staying situational as of next year. he's got a good set of moves but i can see bigger LT's just popping him off the line. rookie year novelty effect really should be considered.

bearsfan_51
04-21-2007, 02:58 PM
Insightful post. There's no chance that we could keep three good DE's of course, especially considering how much they rotate.

sweetness34
04-21-2007, 07:26 PM
I like him alot, but him and Ogunleye under produced last year. we need more production out of them to make up for the loss of Lance Briggs.

Underproduced, is that even a word?

Wale underperformed more than Alex Brown last season, so if anyone goes, it'd be Wale IMO.

Smokey Joe
04-21-2007, 09:31 PM
Wale right now is more valuable then Brown because he is good against the run. And you don't want Anderson and Brown both as your starting DE's, since they are mainly pass-rushing ends. And Brown has a pretty cheap contract. If anything, we need an upgrade over Wale, and we could have Anderson compete for Brown's spot, and the loser is just the situational guy.

sweetness34
04-21-2007, 09:46 PM
Wale right now is more valuable then Brown because he is good against the run. And you don't want Anderson and Brown both as your starting DE's, since they are mainly pass-rushing ends. And Brown has a pretty cheap contract. If anything, we need an upgrade over Wale, and we could have Anderson compete for Brown's spot, and the loser is just the situational guy.

Um Alex Brown is beastly against the run my friend. That and he can actually stay healthy.

Smokey Joe
04-21-2007, 09:48 PM
Um Alex Brown is beastly against the run my friend. That and he can actually stay healthy.
we must be watching different Alex Brown's then...

sweetness34
04-21-2007, 09:53 PM
we must be watching different Alex Brown's then...

No I just think you're smoking crack.

Smokey Joe
04-21-2007, 10:18 PM
No I just think you're smoking crack.

No, that's HD.

Hurricane Ditka
04-21-2007, 11:27 PM
Wale right now is more valuable then Brown because he is good against the run. And you don't want Anderson and Brown both as your starting DE's, since they are mainly pass-rushing ends. And Brown has a pretty cheap contract. If anything, we need an upgrade over Wale, and we could have Anderson compete for Brown's spot, and the loser is just the situational guy.Alex Brown is a much better against the run than Ogunleye.

awfullyquiet
04-22-2007, 12:23 AM
Yeah, Ogunleye is the better pass rusher. Brown is the better run-stopper. Wale is better because he's good against the run, much better than anderson, and still good in the pass-rush. Which is why he's paid the big bucks.

But. I still say all three + rotation = a good deal for the bears especially because we have brown and anderson at near steals for their talent.

sweetness34
04-22-2007, 09:11 AM
Alex Brown is a much better against the run than Ogunleye.

Wow Smokey, that's 2 that agree with me and 0 for you. I guess I win! :D

OhioState
04-22-2007, 03:07 PM
i really like alex brown. he is good against the run and is not a liability in the pass rush. he can do it all and i think he will have a good year next year.

awfullyquiet
04-23-2007, 02:13 AM
brown also drops into coverage well.
doesn't happen often though.

swiftizm
04-23-2007, 05:43 AM
Ive actually heard that Ogunleye may be on his way out, but i disagree, i say we NEED all 3 pass rushers, without ALL 3 of them, our D wouldnt have been as good last year. Ogunleye and Brown are a great tandem, but Mark Anderson will be starting soon, and WILL be a HUGE part of our Defense, Urlacher + Harris + Anderson = COGs of Defense.

DaBears0530
04-23-2007, 07:06 PM
i could see the bears drafting a DE in the later rounds.

swiftizm
04-25-2007, 09:30 AM
I actually see them maybe drafting a DL late in the draft, UNLESS, they get the #6 pick. I think if they have a chance at one of the top DL they will get one at pick #6. Their first choice would be Amobi Okeye (even though its not a need, Okoye and Harris would be the best DT duo in the NFL), second choice would be DE Gaines Adams (also, not a need but our DE's would be amazing and be able to come in waves, Ogunleye, Alex Brown, Mark Anderson, Idonije and Gaines Adams. Wow, no one would ever be tired), third choice Jamaal Anderson DE, (Same as Adams, but more potential).

If that doesnt happen, i dont see them taking a DL till at least round 4, unless someone slips really far and they get a HUGE steal.

DaBears0530
04-25-2007, 06:58 PM
the 6th pick cost too much money for the bears. does anyone recall the holdout with benson?

awfullyquiet
04-25-2007, 07:27 PM
the 6th pick cost too much money for the bears. does anyone recall the holdout with benson?

it's also based on position...
RB is more expensive than DT most of the time.
Tommie Harris is around 800k a year in salary (not including bonuses)

VoteLynnSwan
04-25-2007, 10:32 PM
Tommie Harris was also the 14th pick... once out of the top 10, the paychecks take a nose dive...

awfullyquiet
04-25-2007, 11:41 PM
Tommie Harris was also the 14th pick... once out of the top 10, the paychecks take a nose dive...

hmm. as far as DT's go.
haloti ngata has a five year 11.5 mil deal for being #12 two years ago. 2 mil/yr.
dewayne robertson of the jets in 03 was fourth overall, got a 7 year, 46 mil deal. 13 mil of it was option bonus's. 7/33. 4.8/a year.

touche. salary cap isn't necessarly my expertise.

swiftizm
04-25-2007, 11:52 PM
Its not that it was too expensive, it was just a weird deal with cedric, because the year before, Eli Manning was 'technically' the 4th pick, but got paid #1 salary, and cedric wanted what the PREVIOUS #4 got, and it was a mess.

VoteLynnSwan
04-26-2007, 01:48 AM
It also had to do with the fact that Cedric thought he deserved as much as Ronnie Brown...

Hurricane Ditka
04-26-2007, 07:52 AM
It also had to do with the fact that Cedric thought he deserved as much as Ronnie Brown...
And the Bears were offering less than Cadillac Williams got.