PDA

View Full Version : Real Breaking News on Rex Ryan

BigDawg819
04-21-2007, 03:30 PM
From espn.com:

"Defensive coordinator Rex Ryan, who presided over the NFL's top-rated defense with the Baltimore Ravens in 2006, has been rewarded with a new, two-year contract and a salary more commensurate with the success he has enjoyed in his two years on the job.

The contract, first reported by The Baltimore Sun and confirmed by team officials, includes salaries of more than $1 million per season. Ravens officials had been in discussions with Ryan about a new deal since the end of the 2006 season. There was just one season remaining on Ryan's previous contract.

Ryan, 44, is the son of former NFL head coach Buddy Ryan. His twin brother, Rob Ryan, is the Oakland Raiders' defensive coordinator.

"I'm excited about it," Ryan told The Sun of the new contract. "Now, I don't have to worry about finding another job as a coordinator. I can just go out and worry about kicking butt."

A 13-year league veteran, Ryan was elevated to the coordinator position in 2005, and the Ravens' unit statistically ranked No. 5 in the league that season. Baltimore improved to No. 1 in the NFL in 2006, surrendering just 264.1 yards per game as the Raven posted a 13-3 record and won the AFC North crown.

The Ravens were second in the league in sacks (60) and takeaways (40) and were first in takeaway/turnover differential (plus-17).

Baltimore held the potent Indianapolis offense without a touchdown in a divisional-round playoff game, but still lost 15-6 to the eventual Super Bowl XLI champions.

Ryan was a candidate after the season for the head coach vacancy in San Diego, and was said to have interviewed well, but the job subsequently went to Norv Turner. Ryan has said that his goal remains to be a head coach in the league.

A defensive end at Southwest Oklahoma State, Ryan began his coaching career at Eastern Michigan in 1987. After stints at five colleges, he joined his father's staff with the Arizona Cardinals in 1994 and moved to the Ravens in 1999.

Len Pasquarelli"

Your welcome for making your day....

Ravens1991
04-21-2007, 03:35 PM
Thank you I am glad we got him.

go_ravens94
04-21-2007, 04:05 PM
Y-E-S, YES!

Ryan is here for 2 years more.
+Rep for breaking good news BigDawg

YouNeverKnow
04-21-2007, 04:18 PM
From espn.com:

"I'm excited about it," Ryan told The Sun of the new contract. "Now, I don't have to worry about finding another job as a coordinator. I can just go out and worry about kicking butt."

Somehow I doubt that Ryan would have trouble finding any defensive coordinator position in the league if his contract had expired. We all know he is going to be one of the top 3 head coaching candidates next year.

Nice to see Ryan get a well deserved one year raise before moving on.

RaVeNFaNaCtIc
04-21-2007, 04:23 PM
wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!1 this makes my day so much better, thanks bigdawg

+ rep

Yung Flippa
04-21-2007, 06:39 PM
This signing means our defense will keep on dominating

EdReedUnstoppable
04-21-2007, 10:05 PM
Somehow I doubt that Ryan would have trouble finding any defensive coordinator position in the league if his contract had expired. We all know he is going to be one of the top 3 head coaching candidates next year.

Nice to see Ryan get a well deserved one year raise before moving on.

Not if we go 5-11, and the defense falls off, then he'll be the forgotten guy.

BigDawg819
04-21-2007, 10:54 PM
Not if we go 5-11, and the defense falls off, then he'll be the forgotten guy.

Yeah that'll happen.... :rolleyes:

EdReedUnstoppable
04-21-2007, 10:59 PM
Yeah that'll happen.... :rolleyes:

Anything is possible buddy, what if Ray and Ed Reed get hurt in preseason and miss the year that pretty much ends the season right there.

BigDawg819
04-21-2007, 11:01 PM
Ray not so much, Reed would be a disaster.

EdReedUnstoppable
04-21-2007, 11:02 PM
Ray not so much, Reed would be a disaster.

What are you talking about Ray not so much?

Our heart and soul, lets not forget how the Titans ran all over us when Ray missed that game last year, he is still the best MLB in the NFL he makes a huge difference.

BigDawg819
04-21-2007, 11:04 PM
What are you talking about Ray not so much?

Our heart and soul, lets not forget how the Titans ran all over us when Ray missed that game last year, he is still the best MLB in the NFL he makes a huge difference.

While your points are true and valid, the reason the Titans ran all over us was mainly the injury to Mike Smith. He comes back healthy and if God forbid Ray goes down he can step up not to mention Suggs and Scott are pretty good leaders on that D as well.

EdReedUnstoppable
04-21-2007, 11:07 PM
While your points are true and valid, the reason the Titans ran all over us was mainly the injury to Mike Smith. He comes back healthy and if God forbid Ray goes down he can step up not to mention Suggs and Scott are pretty good leaders on that D as well.

Yeah but Suggs and Scott dont make every player around them better like Ray does, to lose Ray is to lose hope...........sig quote!!!

BigDawg819
04-21-2007, 11:11 PM
Yeah but Suggs and Scott dont make every player around them better like Ray does, to lose Ray is to lose hope...........sig quote!!!

Dammit you convinced me to the truth about Ray that I already knew but was trying to fool myself.

EdReedUnstoppable
04-21-2007, 11:13 PM
Dammit you convinced me to the truth about Ray that I already knew but was trying to fool myself.

Well its good that you see the truth my friend, it was a pleasure to open your eyes to the greatness of 52!

BigDawg819
04-21-2007, 11:16 PM
Well its good that you see the truth my friend, it was a pleasure to open your eyes to the greatness of 52!

I know and I thank you sir. I guess I'm just trying to adjust to the fact that one day he will be gone. What a sad day that will be.....

EdReedUnstoppable
04-21-2007, 11:18 PM
I know and I thank you sir. I guess I'm just trying to adjust to the fact that one day he will be gone. What a sad day that will be.....

The worst, I might sell my PSLs when Ray retires because 98% of the energy will be sucked right out of the stadium. :(

BigDawg819
04-21-2007, 11:20 PM
The worst, I might sell my PSLs when Ray retires because 98% of the energy will be sucked right out of the stadium. :(

Sadly that could be true. Hopefully not but its a possibility. One can only hope Reed and Suggs can pick up from Ray the gift.

go_ravens94
04-22-2007, 11:15 AM
I believe they will. We're a very tight knit defense.