PDA

View Full Version : Which would you prefer?

Xiomera
04-22-2007, 04:58 PM
There is a lot of talk about a Detroit deal down with both Tampa and Atlanta . . . my question to you is this:

Which likely deal would you prefer?

From Tampa:
#4, #35, #68

From Atlanta:
#8, #39, #44, and likely a 2008 pick.

If we deal with Tampa, we could end up with something like:
1. DE Gaines Adams
2a. QB Trent Edwards
2b. MLB David Harris
3a. CB Daymeion Hughes
3b. OG Manuel Ramirez

If we deal with Atlanta, we could end up with something like:
1. MLB Patrick Willis
2a. QB Trent Edwards
2b. DE Anthony Spencer
2c. S Eric Weddle
3. WR Aundrae Allison

It's a tough call . . . is the difference between Adams and Willis worth getting an extra second as opposed to an extra third?

Thoughts?

detroit4life
04-22-2007, 05:16 PM
ill take ATL i would love the extra second and the 2008 pick. Willis is still a great player and we could add a DE in the second i think adding more picks and better picks are much more important

Xiomera
04-22-2007, 05:28 PM
ill take ATL i would love the extra second and the 2008 pick. Willis is still a great player and we could add a DE in the second i think adding more picks and better picks are much more important

I too would prefer the ATL deal, but only if they draft the right players. I want them to go defense on at least three of their first four picks, and I want them to get one of the better safeties, as it is not a deep position.

I want to see Willis, Spencer, Merriweather/Weddle, Stanton in Lions uniforms.

asmitty45
04-22-2007, 05:37 PM
I would do the ATL trade, but i wouldnt take Trent Edwards or Aundrae Allison

I would do:

1. Willis
2a. Merriwether
2b. Spencer
2c. Stanton
3. Hughes

I personally dont like trent edwards, he has all the symptoms of a major bust. No big wins, akward delivery, surrounded by inferior talent his whole career. Let someone else gamble on him

detroit4life
04-22-2007, 06:50 PM
I would do the ATL trade, but i wouldnt take Trent Edwards or Aundrae Allison

I would do:

1. Willis
2a. Merriwether
2b. Spencer
2c. Stanton
3. Hughes

I personally dont like trent edwards, he has all the symptoms of a major bust. No big wins, akward delivery, surrounded by inferior talent his whole career. Let someone else gamble on him

i agree on edwarda and i would love to see that draft happen. You fill every need this defense has while adding a QB who i believe c an be our franchise QB. This draft would be simply amazing

Mythos
04-22-2007, 06:50 PM
My first choice would be Atlanta,
1. Landry
2a. Spencer
2b. Harris
2c. Josh Wilson
3. NT or QB

If Landry's off the board, I'd go with X's Willis/Spencer/Safety.

LitoSheppard
04-22-2007, 07:05 PM
Neither could hurt you, but i think your better off with Gaines Adams, I can definitly see him as the next Julius Peppers.

woodnick
04-22-2007, 08:24 PM
I'm in for Atl I think Spencer is going to be a great cover 2 DE.

Xiomera
04-22-2007, 08:28 PM
My first choice would be Atlanta,
1. Landry
2a. Spencer
2b. Harris
2c. Josh Wilson
3. NT or QB

If Landry's off the board, I'd go with X's Willis/Spencer/Safety.

I actually like this one quite a bit.

I don't think Edwards is worth a 2ND Rounder, I prefer Stanton. That was just a realistic scenario I posted earlier. Not what I would prefer.

WMD
04-22-2007, 08:36 PM
I'd take the ATL Trade..

1) Patrick Willis
2a) Brandon Meriweather
2b) Marcus McCauley
2c) Victor Abiamiri
3) Aundrae Allison/Manuel Ramirez

That draft is full of num nums.

jbombul
04-22-2007, 09:50 PM
I'm in for Atl I think Spencer is going to be a great cover 2 DE.

i love spencer, Joe Thomas has recently said that he was the best pass rusher he's ever faced. Thats saying alot considering the big 10 has had some decent ones the last couple of years. Weddle would be a great asset to this team as well, he would be a ball hawk in the secondary the perfect player to roam in the middle of the field in the tampa 2 and play some nickel or dime. With that being said, i would do the ATL trade

1. Willis
2. Spencer
2b. Weddle
2c. Stanton
3. Daymeion Hughes

jbombul
04-22-2007, 09:51 PM
lol i also find it funny that the only person who voted for the tampa trade is an eagles fan :)

LionSmack
04-22-2007, 10:14 PM
I voted Tampa simply because at 4 there's still a possibility of another trade down, with Arizona for instance.

Iamcanadian
04-23-2007, 12:40 AM
I want the Tampa trade. There is less than a 50% chance that Spencer will be there in round 2 and Willis isn't going to make this defense work without a great DE on this team.
I predict a trade with Tampa for their 2nd and 3rd.

1) Adams DE
2) Harris MLB
2) Best Cover 2 CB we find available
3) Stanton
3) Best FS left on the board

This offers us the potential to have one of the best defenses in the NFC and with Martz's offense, offers us a real shot at 6-8 wins. If we draft Willis and Spencer is gone, we'll be right back here drafting top 3 again next year as a Cover 2 defense will always remain very mediocre without a great pass rushing DE.

Xiomera
04-23-2007, 05:50 AM
I want the Tampa trade. There is less than a 50% chance that Spencer will be there in round 2 and Willis isn't going to make this defense work without a great DE on this team.

1) Adams DE
2) Harris MLB
3) Stanton

This offers us the potential to have one of the best defenses in the NFC and with Martz's offense, offers us a real shot at 6-8 wins. If we draft Willis and Spencer is gone, we'll be right back here drafting top 3 again next year as a Cover 2 defense will always remain very mediocre without a great pass rushing DE.

Yeah, I would love this draft if it happened.

jbombul
04-23-2007, 10:31 AM

1) Adams DE
2) Harris MLB
3) Stanton

if spencer is not available, then we go to moss, if moss is not available, then we can go to abirimiri, if hes not available, then we can go to bazunin in the 3rd round. this draft is pretty deep with defensive ends, there will be one available in the second round imo Spencer or moss >>Harris, harris has big question marks, sure he ran a fast 40, but hows his coverage skills? hes always been known as a run stopper, i think if we were to take him he would be a big question mark. I recognize the fact that Willis has these same questions, but he has a higher ceiling. But if we are to take adams in the first round, i would like to see us go in a different direction at mlb rather then Harris, maybe Justin Durant, we could also bring in somebody after the june 1st cuts, there will be at least someone who has prior expierence in our defense, Quarles would be a great teacher at MLB

Iamcanadian
04-23-2007, 11:03 AM
if spencer is not available, then we go to moss, if moss is not available, then we can go to abirimiri, if hes not available, then we can go to bazunin in the 3rd round. this draft is pretty deep with defensive ends, there will be one available in the second round imo Spencer or moss >>Harris, harris has big question marks, sure he ran a fast 40, but hows his coverage skills? hes always been known as a run stopper, i think if we were to take him he would be a big question mark. I recognize the fact that Willis has these same questions, but he has a higher ceiling. But if we are to take adams in the first round, i would like to see us go in a different direction at mlb rather then Harris, maybe Justin Durant, we could also bring in somebody after the june 1st cuts, there will be at least someone who has prior expierence in our defense, Quarles would be a great teacher at MLB

Actually, it is beginning to look like Harris is going round 1. Scott has him going to New England and I'm beginning to hear rumours he is on the rise. We need an elite DE from this draft. Adams is almost a sure thing, Spencer, I believe would be solid as would Moss but Abirimiri and Bauzin won't get the job done. I think it is still possible to get Harris but we probably have to trade up for him as pro scouts seem to have realized what I thought all along, that he can be a very solid NFL MLB. Harris is also very decent in dropping into coverage according to Gil Brandt. Durant would be my 3rd option at MLB should Harris be unobtainable. The thing is when we are drafting at #4, we won't have a clue about whether or not Spencer, Moss or Harris will be available in round 2, Abirimiri and Bauzin aren't good enough but Durant will still offer us some real hope at the MLBing position. The fact is we MUST find an ELITE DE in this draft and then someone to play MLB. Drafting Adams #4 and getting Harris or Durant offers real hope for our defense but taking Willis and praying Spencer or Moss is there at #2 is pretty scary to me.

asmitty45
04-23-2007, 11:12 AM
Actually, it is beginning to look like Harris is going round 1. Scott has him going to New England and I'm beginning to hear rumours he is on the rise. We need an elite DE from this draft. Adams is almost a sure thing, Spencer, I believe would be solid as would Moss but Abirimiri and Bauzin won't get the job done.

Wow, i actually agree with you completely.

I used to hate on spencer but he's starting to look really good at 34 to me. The pass rushing DE along with a rangy MLB, really set off this defense so we should realllllllllly look into Willis at 8 if we can get a trade and then spencer at 34 (assuming merriwether is gone).

P-L
04-23-2007, 11:21 AM
The Tampa trade. I want Gaines Adams more than I want Patrick Willis. Trading down to #8 would take us out of range for Adams. My ideal would be Anthony Spencer at DE, but he isn't making it out of the 1st Round in my opinion. We'd have another early 2nd Round pick in addition to ours. Chances are the either Nelson, Griffin, or Merriweather fall to us in the 2nd Round. We then have the option of taking David Harris or Jon Beason if somehow they fall (Harris much more likely then Beason). If neither fall then we can target Durant in the 3rd Round or DeOssie in the 4th Round.

Newbs24
04-23-2007, 11:46 AM
I am gonna have to go for the ATL. The first round pick next year could be a huge pickup. Having that to trade up next year would be great. I guess you can't look that far down the road and hope for something like that but I think Landry and Willis will be better at their position that Adams. Not a slam on Gaines at all but I just see immediate impacts from LL and PW and maybe waiting a little longers for Ganes to become a monster. Either trade would make me happy because we add picks and that is what we need but I would prefer the ATL trade.

Lions-Slappy
04-23-2007, 11:56 AM
I would do the Tampa trade, we need a DE that can pressure the QB for the Tampa 2 to work, while I love Willis he wont help as much as Adams.

then again I do not think the Lions are going to be able to pull any trades and will be stuck with the #2 pick, they will probably reach for Adams there.

casskid
04-23-2007, 03:45 PM
What ended up being the deal breaker for me was the inclusion of a 2008 pick from Atl. At 8 we can go Willis, Landry, maybe Quinn, Hall (reach but hey just throwing ideas out there), Carriker, and maybe able to package those 2 rounders to move back into the first and grab some one else we have our eyes on. Maybe secure Merriweather or Jarvis Moss depending on our first selection. I just like the flexability of the Atl trade more then Tampa trade. Plus 2008 is loaded with talent so it would be nice to have a extra pick in it (probably a frist to boot).

detroit4life
04-23-2007, 04:43 PM
i still wouldnt mind charles johnson at 34 is spencer isn't available. IMO there are quite a few DE's that could/should be there forus at 34.

spencer
moss
johnson

if we took the ATL deal we could go
1. willis
2a. one of those three DE's
2b. merriweather nelson or griffin
3. hughes or stanton

mad36092
04-23-2007, 05:11 PM
I agree Det4Life. Willis would give us the ILB that the Cover 2 needs, and the DE would solidify the line. With the second pick though I would take Tony Ugoh, or another worthy OL, we need help their.

detroit4life
04-23-2007, 05:33 PM
I agree Det4Life. Willis would give us the ILB that the Cover 2 needs, and the DE would solidify the line. With the second pick though I would take Tony Ugoh, or another worthy OL, we need help their.

im satisfied with out line after what we did in FA and thru trades at this point i say we focus on defense and possible stanton

WMD
04-23-2007, 06:08 PM
Gaines Adams' similarity to Kalimba Edwards doesn't scare you guys at all? It scares me.. :(

jbombul
04-23-2007, 10:23 PM
it scares me too i brought up all the similarities of the two, but i was shot down by pretty much everyone in here

woodnick
04-24-2007, 12:27 AM

1) Adams DE
2) Harris MLB
3) Stanton

I agree with canadian that there's a very strong chance that Spencer will be gone by #34, but in that case why not try to use #34 and the extra 3rd we get in the deal and try to jump up a few picks to secure him. jbombul brought up a great point that Joe Thomas, as with most of the Big 10 linemen, say that Spencer was the must difficult D-lineman to block that they have faced. That speaks more than any numbers from the combine, even though his performance was pretty good.

I read something on Adams from the Aprill 22 Free press that qouted a Clemson head coach as saying that Adams can be as good as he wants to be, but someone has to motivate him. I took it as Adams not being a particularly self motivated individual, which scares me knowing that he's going to be getting a ton of money, so what's to say he's going to work hard after that.

IMO, which I could be wrong, there's a far greater drop off from Willis to the next best at MLB compared to Adams and the DE's that should go around the end of 1/begining of 2.

WMD
04-24-2007, 12:31 AM
IMO, which I could be wrong, there's a far greater drop off from Willis to the next best at MLB compared to Adams and the DE's that should go around the end of 1/begining of 2.

I definately agree with that.

woodnick
04-24-2007, 12:40 AM
Gaines Adams' similarity to Kalimba Edwards doesn't scare you guys at all? It scares me.. :(

I've heard that Adams is pretty one dimensional as a pass rusher, or a more appropriate phrase would be lacking the bulk/strength to hold up effectively against the run. Personally, I believe that both Julius Peppers and Mario Williams, the only other de's drafted in the top 2 in the past 5 drafts, are better DE's than Adams because they are more complete with holding the edge against the run. I know that in our cover 2 the DE doesn't necessarily have to be stout against the run just a good pass rusher, but I believe that we can find a comparable DE in rd 2 in Spencer. I agree that Adams is a far better prospect than Spencer because of his size/speed ratio, but Spencer is going to be a steal to whomever drafts him.

jbombul
04-24-2007, 02:30 AM
good points brought up woodnick, i would also rather have willis/spencer over adams/any one else