PDA

View Full Version : One Week Before Poll.....

DJohnson56
04-22-2007, 05:46 PM
Just wanted to gauge the Chief nation's opinion one week before it all goes down. I have really been hyping a WR all year, but now I am thinking that Aaron Ross would be an awesome addition.....solid DB prospect with bigtime return potential.

I don't know if i can stand another season of watching Dante dance around, instead of starting off going forward like he used too. If I see him slam the ball and act all pissed off one more time after he blows a return I am going to burn his jersey.

T-RICH49
04-22-2007, 06:04 PM
I say WR with the assumption that Staley and Brown will be gone by 23

BPhilb
04-22-2007, 07:17 PM
I say OT but am thinking we might still go DT with Harrell if he is available. Nothing will suprise me at this point, but I do know we are going to upgrade somewhere.

chief_fan88
04-22-2007, 07:45 PM
If Brown isnt available, then Harrell is who im really starting to like, if Staley happens to be there though i would be tempted by him also.

bored of education
04-22-2007, 11:56 PM
Im loving Harrell more and more everyday.

villagewarrior
04-23-2007, 08:07 AM
Trade down. I like Harrell too but I don't see him being worth the 23rd pick in the draft.

T-RICH49
04-23-2007, 11:38 AM
I wanna change my pick to CB now.It seems like we are showing interest in a lot of the top CB's like Ross, Houston, Revis so I'm getting a feeling CB is the way we go

BPhilb
04-23-2007, 12:10 PM
I wanna change my pick to CB now.It seems like we are showing interest in a lot of the top CB's like Ross, Houston, Revis so I'm getting a feeling CB is the way we go

Though it's entirely possible it just doesn't make any sense to me. My biggest frustration with this is that the value of CB's in round 1 doesn't seem to fall that much into round 3. We have too many areas for immediate upgrade in my opinion that not addressing at least one of those early would be a mistake. It's so hard to put a read on this though and if we draft Aaron Ross early I would imagine that Hall will be delt during the draft.

Hermstheman83
04-23-2007, 01:09 PM
Speaking of Burning' halls jersey, does anyone know where I could buy any of the recently drafted prospects.

Ho0k Em'
04-23-2007, 01:15 PM
Though it's entirely possible it just doesn't make any sense to me. My biggest frustration with this is that the value of CB's in round 1 doesn't seem to fall that much into round 3. We have too many areas for immediate upgrade in my opinion that not addressing at least one of those early would be a mistake. It's so hard to put a read on this though and if we draft Aaron Ross early I would imagine that Hall will be delt during the draft.

I'd say there isn't a huge drop off from round 1 to 2, but there is a pretty strong dropoff in the 3rd after Hall, Revis, Houston, Ross, Wright, and then Jackson, Wade, McCauley, Wilson who will all probably be gone by our pick.

BPhilb
04-23-2007, 01:56 PM
I'd say there isn't a huge drop off from round 1 to 2, but there is a pretty strong dropoff in the 3rd after Hall, Revis, Houston, Ross, Wright, and then Jackson, Wade, McCauley, Wilson who will all probably be gone by our pick.

Not in the cover 2 though. The basis of most CB rankings are based off the man cover skills and that is basically irrelavent in our scheme. Taking a guy like Huston or Ross is a waste to me from that perspective. I would like to see us get a DB in the draft, but round 3 is about the earlies I would like to see that happen. I imagine with the depth of this years class a couple of the round 2 projected guys are going to drop to round 3 anyway.

bored of education
04-23-2007, 02:06 PM
I think their are 7 cbs worthy of 1st day and would be 1st day starters. I think upgrading that position is a need. Law and Surtain haven't been able to cover hannon and webb in camp i guess.

Wide receiver and offensive line are needs as well 1st day. Joe Staley and Justin Blalock are the only two I'd pick 1st round. Wide Receiver the depth available at that position leads me to believe that KC knows that they can settle for a Jason Hill, Paul Williams, jacoby Jones, Courtney Taylor type in the 3rd round anf still come away with an upgrade at that position.

Offensive of line 2nd round, KC could go Sears, Beekman, Marten, Harris or Yanda and it would be an upgrade where they would get a starter.

CB; Wright, Wade, Houston, Revis, Hughes, Hall, Ross, McCauley are the only ones that could come in and start right away and have the least amount of question marks concerning their abilities. Irons, Jackson, Wilson, Gaddis, Brown and the likes have some question marks and its a crap shoot when it comes to them.

so value wise and based upon need CB would be the way to go. Plus if Houston, hall, revis, ross are available at the 23rd pick they would be (on my big board) all rated lower except ross i have him about 26th o my big board, but i have eric wright ahead of him) Eric wrights concerns are overblown he wil be an impact CB in the NFL.

John-David
04-23-2007, 04:19 PM
Kansas City doesnt have enough draft picks to fill all those holes, they should sell the franchise to Mark Cuban.

KaneMarko
04-23-2007, 04:24 PM
I donít think in Hermís drafting history heís ever drafted a corner in the 1st round (Iíll have to double check that). Heís stated in a recent presser he doesnít really believe in drafting WRs in the 1st round (although I think he has in the past, but Iíll have to double check. I donít see the Chiefs drafting a linebacker in the 1st round because weíre relatively solid there. Assuming Russell and Quinn are gone, I donít see a QB with that first pick. I think thereís a sliver of a chance of taking a RB in the first, but still pretty doubtful depending on what the plan to do with LJ.

I think the first pick is going to be a lineman. And I think said lineman is going to be on the defensive side of the ball. And I think said defensive lineman is going to be from the SEC. Last week during the pre-draft presser, Herm described what he looked for in players. And his description basically fit the lineman I am thinking of to a T.

My first choice would be to take Meachem. But my choice 1b is to select his teammate Justin Harrell. When Herm was talking about how he liked tough, smart players, I felt he was describing Justin almost perfectly. The kid chose to play with a ruptured biceps in an effort to try and help his team beat Florida.

I just have this strange feeling that the Chiefs and Justin Harrell are on this strange collision course at #23. Course, now that I say that, theyíll probably select Greg Olsen in the first. LOL!

Hermstheman83
04-23-2007, 04:43 PM
I think Chris Houston reminds me of Bob Sanders. Smaller, faster and loves to hit. I think if we did go DB this year with our #1 pick, we'd pick him, but I think it's all pointing to Harrell now. I'm not sure what to think of Aaron Ross. Is he a one year wonder? I never look at film but he sounds like a solid pick too.

bored of education
04-23-2007, 04:47 PM
Eric Wright, Aaron Ross, Revis, Houston, Hall could all be legit number one CBs in the league in a year or two.

T-RICH49
04-23-2007, 05:36 PM
Man if Darrelle Revis fell to us get the card in ASAP Herm

Splat
04-23-2007, 06:48 PM
Unless one of the top WR's or DT's are on the board I think we will trade down.

BPhilb
04-23-2007, 08:13 PM
Unless one of the top WR's or DT's are on the board I think we will trade down.

I don't disagree, but I'm not sure who is going to be at the 23 spot that anyone is going to want to trade up for.

Hermstheman83
04-23-2007, 11:37 PM
Perhaps we are looking at this the wrong way guys. Herm has said many times that he strongly believes in the BPA strategy. This explains why we didn't really address CB until the later rounds last year(as well as WR). So perhaps the question is not whether we will draft on need, but who will be the Best available player at #23? I'm thinking that is Chris Houston(because Revis will be gone by then). This is just a thought, because I'm convinced Tank Tyler or Harrell is going to be wearing Red against the Browns

Hermstheman83
04-24-2007, 12:14 AM
Ok, so looking through 2000-2006, Herm has not drafted a CB in the first round. He has drafted a CB in the second round(Justin Miller). The most of one position he has drafted is DE in the first round. While the most overall, is Safeties, with 8. Over the 6 years he's been a head coach, he has drafted 5 DT(I included NT's in this analysis).
He's drafted 4 wide recievers in six years, to me, it seems like he's has success with this, with Santana Moss, Jericho Cotchery and Laverneus Coles. THe only guy I've never heard of is a guy named Windell Hayes, who he drafted his first year with the Jets(2000) in the fifth round #143.
He's also had apparent success, but this might be due to the high draft status of them: Jon Abraham, Shaun Ellis, Tamba Hali were all selected in this first round.

There's some (Very fast) acquired data....enjoy fellas. I got it off NFL.com.

matts22
04-24-2007, 05:50 PM
Ok, so looking through 2000-2006, Herm has not drafted a CB in the first round. He has drafted a CB in the second round(Justin Miller). The most of one position he has drafted is DE in the first round. While the most overall, is Safeties, with 8. Over the 6 years he's been a head coach, he has drafted 5 DT(I included NT's in this analysis).
He's drafted 4 wide recievers in six years, to me, it seems like he's has success with this, with Santana Moss, Jericho Cotchery and Laverneus Coles. THe only guy I've never heard of is a guy named Windell Hayes, who he drafted his first year with the Jets(2000) in the fifth round #143.
He's also had apparent success, but this might be due to the high draft status of them: Jon Abraham, Shaun Ellis, Tamba Hali were all selected in this first round.

There's some (Very fast) acquired data....enjoy fellas. I got it off NFL.com.

Good post!

BPhilb
04-24-2007, 09:06 PM
Good post!

Agreed. Rep point for you.

Hopefully though we are not taking a safety in round 1. :)

Hermstheman83
04-25-2007, 11:33 AM
Heh, if only i knew what a rep point way :)

Hermstheman83
05-25-2007, 11:16 AM
Perhaps we are looking at this the wrong way guys. Herm has said many times that he strongly believes in the BPA strategy. This explains why we didn't really address CB until the later rounds last year(as well as WR). So perhaps the question is not whether we will draft on need, but who will be the Best available player at #23? I'm thinking that is Chris Houston(because Revis will be gone by then). This is just a thought, because I'm convinced Tank Tyler or Harrell is going to be wearing Red against the Browns

Wow, I was actually right on this one!

bored of education
05-27-2007, 11:56 AM
The Tank Tyler part?

Hermstheman83
05-27-2007, 06:19 PM
Yea, I don't know if that's impressive, because I said like four-five guys in there. Just stroking my own ego. Sorry