steelersfan43
04-22-2007, 10:39 PM
Yay for vegitables!!!

My favorite is brocoli!

04-22-2007, 10:40 PM
No body likes veggies man....

draftguru151
04-22-2007, 10:40 PM
I've had more salad in the last week and I have had in my entire life.

It's a tie between carrots and broccoli for me.

Chucky
04-22-2007, 10:41 PM
Cauliflower or maybe carrots

Smokey Joe
04-22-2007, 10:42 PM
brussell sprouts, corn, lettuce...

Smokey Joe
04-22-2007, 10:42 PM
oh, and cauliflower.

steelersfan43
04-22-2007, 10:43 PM
God I suck, i forgot so many, I cracked under the pressure.

Im anti clutch

:(

snuff
04-22-2007, 10:44 PM
Terry Schiavo

P-L
04-22-2007, 10:57 PM
Terry Schiavo
As wrong as it may be, I can't stop laughing.

RaiderNation
04-22-2007, 11:00 PM
Terry Schiavo

your sig is sweet

etk
04-23-2007, 12:14 AM
Tossed Salad

http://www.fotosearch.com/comp/ART/ART306/HNF058.jpg

bantx
04-23-2007, 12:25 AM
no corn? wait corn is a vege right?

neko4
04-23-2007, 12:28 AM
spinach...

VoteLynnSwan
04-23-2007, 12:32 AM
you can't spell very well...

TitleTown088
04-23-2007, 12:32 AM
Whats the hardest part about eating a vegetable?

diabsoule
04-23-2007, 01:23 AM
My favorite is asparagus but since it's not on the list I had to go with broccoli. BTW, a few of those veggies and also vegetable is misspelled.

DChess
04-23-2007, 01:36 AM
Terry Schiavo

no way, i went into this thing to post christopher reeves (although he wasnt a full blown vegetable) and i specifically look to see if you said somethign along the same lines. your just one step ahead of me

Icon
04-23-2007, 01:44 AM
i <3 salad

i also like corn

and snuff

TitleTown088
04-23-2007, 02:03 AM
Whats the hardest part about eating a vegetable?

Putting her back in the hospital bed...

Nightmares Win 6-0
04-23-2007, 03:46 AM
brussel sprouts ftw...

ElectricEye
04-23-2007, 04:31 AM
Terry Schiavo

Made me laugh my ass off. Saw it coming, but still funny as hell.

Caddy
04-23-2007, 04:34 AM
Potato all the freakin way

wogitalia
04-23-2007, 07:34 AM
Im just curious if you intentionally butchered the spelling of just about everything on the poll or what?

Xiomera
04-23-2007, 08:34 AM
Where is carrots?

I suppose I will take potato given the choices.

ccB
04-23-2007, 08:42 AM
I am a big fan of broccoli.

P-L
04-23-2007, 09:24 AM
I actually like Potato the best, but I don't think it is 'technically' considered a vegtable.

fischbowl
04-23-2007, 02:52 PM
i love peas.

you should seriously use spell check.

princefielder28
04-23-2007, 02:53 PM
I love Zuccini Bread!

M.O.T.H.
04-23-2007, 02:59 PM
carrots are nasty.

gbpackers0065
04-23-2007, 03:00 PM
No Eggplant..........

Riot!!!

duckseason
04-23-2007, 03:06 PM
Man, I can't think of a veggie that I dislike. As long as it's fresh, it's all good. I don't think anybody's mentioned Artichokes yet. Okra is kinda underrated as well. These are delicious-
http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/1232/hotjarpicklesji3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Actually, there are a ton of pickled veggies that are delicious. Man, I need to hit up the farmers market now that I think of it.

bsaza2358
04-23-2007, 03:08 PM
I can't call pickels a vegetable, but they are really tasty. In terms of veggies I readily eat, I love tomatoes and carrots.

M.O.T.H.
04-23-2007, 03:10 PM
Man, carrots are overrated. Nasty. haha.

duckseason
04-23-2007, 03:10 PM
I can't call pickels a vegetable, but they are really tasty. In terms of veggies I readily eat, I love tomatoes and carrots.
I hear you, but, if you pickle a vegetable, it's still a vegetable. Just preserved.
And technically tomatoes are fruits. But I think of them as veggies too.

Go_Eagles77
04-23-2007, 03:14 PM
Potatoes and tomatoes.

http://132.178.236.111/information/otherprojects/potato/images/fries.gif

http://churchrelevance.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/heinz_ketchup.jpg

bsaza2358
04-23-2007, 03:16 PM
I hear you, but, if you pickle a vegetable, it's still a vegetable. Just preserved.
And technically tomatoes are fruits. But I think of them as veggies too.

The thing is, I judge veggies more on health and vitamins. Pickels are okay for you, but they're extremely high in sodium. Obviously, they're cucumbers soaked in brine. I consider them more of a side dish than a vegetable. Doesn't mean they're any less good.

duckseason
04-23-2007, 03:27 PM
The thing is, I judge veggies more on health and vitamins. Pickels are okay for you, but they're extremely high in sodium. Obviously, they're cucumbers soaked in brine. I consider them more of a side dish than a vegetable. Doesn't mean they're any less good.
Yeah, I hear that. But actually a lot of pickles don't have all too much sodium. Vinegar plays a much larger role than the salt. And a lot of the sodium stays in the brine anyway. Salt is only bad for you in excessive amounts. It's a vital mineral that has wrongfully garnered a bad name, and is one of the greatest culinary treasures we have. We really couldn't live without it, and if you're not salting your fresh vegetables as well, then you're not enjoying them to their fullest. So, I have to disagree. Pickles are great, and they certainly are vegetables. And aren't most veggies usually used as side dishes?

duckseason
04-23-2007, 03:41 PM
I always found the topic of salt to be very interesting.

Salt's preservative ability was a foundation of civilization. It eliminated dependency on the seasonal availability of food, allowed travel over long distances, and was a vital food additive. However, because salt (NaCl) was difficult to obtain, it became a highly valued trade item throughout history. Until the 1900s, salt was one of the prime movers of national economies and wars. Salt was often taxed; research has discovered this practice to have existed as early as the 20th century BC in China. The Romans valued salt highly and paid part of their soldiers' wages in salt. The Latin word salarium; meaning a payment made in salt is the root of the word "salary."

In the Mali Empire, merchants in 12th century Timbuktu—the gateway to the Sahara Desert and the seat of scholars—valued salt (NaCl) enough to buy it for its weight in gold; this trade led to the legends of the incredibly wealthy city of Timbuktu, and fueled inflation in Europe, which was importing the salt.

Sodium is one of the primary electrolytes in the body. All three electrolytes (sodium, potassium, and calcium) are available in unrefined salt, as are other vital minerals needed for optimal bodily function. Too much or too little salt in the diet can lead to muscle cramps, dizziness, or even an electrolyte disturbance, which can cause severe, even fatal, neurological problems. Drinking too much water, with insufficient salt intake, puts a person at risk of water intoxication. Salt is even sometimes used as a health aid, such as in treatment of dysautonomia.

People's risk for disease due to salt intake that is too low or too high varies, due to biochemical individuality. Some have asserted that while the risks of consuming too much salt are real, the risks have been exaggerateded for most people, or that the studies done on the consumption of edible salt can be interpreted in many different ways.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edible_salt

bsaza2358
04-23-2007, 03:57 PM
There is a book out that is a huge documentary about the history of salt. I have read it, and it is a very interesting book. Not surprisingly, it is called "Salt". Really cool stuff about how humans have looked for and harvested salt since prehistoric times.

bsaza2358
04-23-2007, 04:00 PM
Yeah, I hear that. But actually a lot of pickles don't have all too much sodium. Vinegar plays a much larger role than the salt. And a lot of the sodium stays in the brine anyway. Salt is only bad for you in excessive amounts. It's a vital mineral that has wrongfully garnered a bad name, and is one of the greatest culinary treasures we have. We really couldn't live without it, and if you're not salting your fresh vegetables as well, then you're not enjoying them to their fullest. So, I have to disagree. Pickles are great, and they certainly are vegetables. And aren't most veggies usually used as side dishes?

Salt is a very important thing, but if you eat a pickle, it has been marinated in the vinegar and the brine. I guarantee you that if you read the nutritional info on a jar of pickles, the sodium count (sodium is not good in high doses) will be exceedingly high. So, while pickels are delicious, I do not consider them to be nutritious. Cucumbers themselves don't have a ton of rare nutrients, though they are a fine source of ruffage. ha.

Space Ghost
04-23-2007, 04:16 PM
Spinach FTW!!! AHHHH!!!

http://www.nandyala.org/mahanandi/images/vegetables/spinach1.jpg

Awww yeah. That looks so good.

JF4
04-23-2007, 04:17 PM
I'll have to go with potatoes.

bsaza2358
04-23-2007, 04:17 PM
Spinach FTW!!! AHHHH!!!

http://www.nandyala.org/mahanandi/images/vegetables/spinach1.jpg

Awww yeah. That looks so good.

Watch out for Ecoli...

Space Ghost
04-23-2007, 04:21 PM
Watch out for Ecoli...

I'd rather not worry about getting E coli.

duckseason
04-23-2007, 04:24 PM
Salt is a very important thing, but if you eat a pickle, it has been marinated in the vinegar and the brine. I guarantee you that if you read the nutritional info on a jar of pickles, the sodium count (sodium is not good in high doses) will be exceedingly high. So, while pickels are delicious, I do not consider them to be nutritious. Cucumbers themselves don't have a ton of rare nutrients, though they are a fine source of ruffage. ha.
Yeah, I dunno. I think you're over estimating the amount of sodium in a single pickle. I've made them before. Like I said, most of that salt stays in the brine. That said, I wouldn't recommend eating an entire jar of traditional pickles in one sitting. All foods are bad for you when eaten in excess. I usually eat one or two at a time with a sandwich or something. If you're healthy and active and drink water, the amount of salt in pickles is not going to be bad for you at all. More likely, it will be beneficial. To do most pickles, you only use 1/4 cup of salt for 5 cups of liquid. And it's a matter of preference, as it's not the salt that's necessarily needed, it's the acidic environment. How much of that salt do you think winds up in the actual pickles anyway?

TitleTown088
04-23-2007, 04:31 PM
Potatoes and tomatoes.

http://132.178.236.111/information/otherprojects/potato/images/fries.gif

http://churchrelevance.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/heinz_ketchup.jpg
If that's you idea of vegetables, I hope you like health problems.

duckseason
04-23-2007, 04:32 PM
Gotta love the "churchrelevance.com" plug on the heinz label.

bsaza2358
04-23-2007, 04:35 PM
Yeah, I dunno. I think you're over estimating the amount of sodium in a single pickle. I've made them before. Like I said, most of that salt stays in the brine. That said, I wouldn't recommend eating an entire jar of traditional pickles in one sitting. All foods are bad for you when eaten in excess. I usually eat one or two at a time with a sandwich or something. If you're healthy and active and drink water, the amount of salt in pickles is not going to be bad for you at all. More likely, it will be beneficial. To do most pickles, you only use 1/4 cup of salt for 5 cups of liquid. And it's a matter of preference, as it's not the salt that's necessarily needed, it's the acidic environment. How much of that salt do you think winds up in the actual pickles anyway?

I think the reason the pickles taste so good is that they're marinated and absolutely inundated with the vinegar, salt, and water. Cucumbers are mostly water. When you soak the cucumbers in the brine, it takes weeks for them to become pickled. Through osmosis and symbiosis (I think that's the term), the water in the cucumber cells flows out, and the cells take salt in. Cells in general seek a balance between the chemicals outside as there are inside. Your fingers wrinkle after you're in the pool for a while because your skin cells take on water to achieve symbiosis and homeostasis. The plant cells in the cucumber are the same.

I'm not a scientist, but when I bite into a pickle, I taste the salt and the flavor. I think the absorption is significant. It's not a terrible food for you, but I do not believe that the nutritional benefits are very high.

Go_Eagles77
04-23-2007, 04:37 PM
If that's you idea of vegetables, I hope you like health problems.

I was joking. :D

bsaza2358
04-23-2007, 04:38 PM
As fun as all this pickle discussion is, I have to go home now. I will catch you fellas tomorrow.

duckseason
04-23-2007, 04:47 PM
I think the reason the pickles taste so good is that they're marinated and absolutely inundated with the vinegar, salt, and water. Cucumbers are mostly water. When you soak the cucumbers in the brine, it takes weeks for them to become pickled. Through osmosis and symbiosis (I think that's the term), the water in the cucumber cells flows out, and the cells take salt in. Cells in general seek a balance between the chemicals outside as there are inside. Your fingers wrinkle after you're in the pool for a while because your skin cells take on water to achieve symbiosis and homeostasis. The plant cells in the cucumber are the same.

I'm not a scientist, but when I bite into a pickle, I taste the salt and the flavor. I think the absorption is significant. It's not a terrible food for you, but I do not believe that the nutritional benefits are very high.
Very nice. And you are correct. It's the same thing that happens when you brine a turkey or pork or chicken or whatever. The meat becomes incredibly juicy because all that salt that soaks into the meat requires a ton of water to balance it out. Thing is, a brined turkey doesn't taste overly salty at all. Just really good. It's about the same amount of salt you would've put on the thing had you not brined it. Like I said, most of the salt stays in the brine. The brine is much saltier than the pickle. The pickle tastes salty, yes. But if it were too much, your taste buds would let you know.

remix 6
04-23-2007, 04:50 PM
i like Beans aswell

fenikz
04-23-2007, 05:22 PM
potatoes are the best no question about it

trademaster
04-23-2007, 05:47 PM
V8 splash.

EdReedUnstoppable
04-23-2007, 06:36 PM
Broccoli, Corn, Peas, Carrots, Squash, Potatoes, Green Beans!

steelersfan43
04-23-2007, 07:05 PM
I cant see potatos being anyones favorite, its not versatlile at all, you cant even eat it raw.