PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys Pre Draft Press Conference

jdnoyes
04-23-2007, 11:55 AM
For those of you who don't know there will be a pre-draft press Conference with Jerry Jones, Ireland, and I think Wade at 12:30 CST today, you can get to it via the Cowboys website or the following link:

http://www.dallascowboys.com/multimedia_center.cfm?id=1CF49F5E-9841-3FD1-8B367235DDD045D1

doubtful they will say anything useful, but Jerry has been known to tip his hand now and again so worth listening to.

dpl85
04-23-2007, 01:02 PM
Jerry's talking about the possibility of trading up because we have our bases covered. But he also talked about the possibility of trading down apparently for the same reason.

M.O.T.H.
04-23-2007, 01:17 PM
What i found interesting...

1. We dont have a big board set up yet...apparently

2. JJ didnt rule out moving up.

3. Talked about drafting a CB to compete for NB position.

4. Hinted at wanting a starter in the first. (Spencer, perhaps?)

5. Wants offense in 1st. (Big Impact)

6. JJ does not want to get value from a player (no Julius trade on draft day?)

7. Rather move up than down this year but, have recieved trade offers for another first rounder next year... trade could happen before draft.

8. 4 offensive players he would trade up for.

9. 3-4 defensive players he would trade up for.

10. Wants to add receiver depth (1st day) but, very happy with Crayton, Austin, Hurd.

11. Doesnt want to trade future picks.

12. Really likes Brandon Meriweather, not scared of character concerns...talked about him as S and CB.

13. Talked about getting a pass rusher... not necessarily fitting our system (interesting)

14. We are looking at RB.

15. Didnt rule out late round QB.

16. We're set at FB.

D-Unit
04-23-2007, 03:40 PM
First thing I have to say is... Lies. Big fat lies.

Jerry may not be the savviest owner in the league, but he certainly is not dumb enough to reveal actual draft plans 5 days away from the draft. I didn't listen to the press conference, but if he mentioned any names... My suggestion is to immediately cross them out of your minds. Sounds like he brought up Merriweather. The front office must have a hunch some team really wants him and would trade up for it.

This type of press conference is fully 100% devoted to sending the message across to other NFL teams what they could maybe expect the Cowboys to do on draft day.

Remember the last time they did this and everyone came away thinking we would draft Merriman for sure.... We all know how that turned out.

M.O.T.H.
04-23-2007, 03:42 PM

Jerry may not be the savviest owner in the league, but he certainly is not dumb enough to reveal actual draft plans 5 days away from the draft. I didn't listen to the press conference, but if he mentioned any names... My suggestion is to immediately cross them out of your minds. Sounds like he brought up Merriweather. The front office must have a hunch some team really wants him and would trade up for it.

This type of press conference is fully 100% devoted to sending the message across to other NFL teams what they could maybe expect the Cowboys to do on draft day.

Remember the last time they did this and everyone came away thinking we would draft Merriman for sure.... We all know how that turned out.

He didnt bring up Meriweather... a reporter asked about him.

theogt
04-23-2007, 03:44 PM
Here's my recap from another board:

Good afternoon. I'll be mostly taking questions. One brief statement. I feel like we could line up and play next week with the players we have before the draft. From the personnel standpoint we could play with the players we have. That brings me to the point that as we go into the draft we do not have to draft a player at a position to be competitive to begin our season. That gives me a lot of flexibility in our decisions. I'm really pleased with our offseason -- re-signing players and bringing in free agents.

I want to give you -- and clear up a misnomer -- I want to talk about our structure, on how we're going to be making our decisions and how we've done it in the past. Our system is similar to a lot of clubs. Our college scouts, with the exception of Ireland and the national scouts, the scouts cover areas of the country. They give a grade that comes in in December. That's the biggest grade I look at. The scout should know those players by then. As we are evaluating a player, whether it's at the Combine or Senior Bowl, I am looking at what we see from the scout that has done the homework up to December. If that grade changes after the Combine and SB, that makes me wonder what he was doing up until December. That grade shouldn't change. The other two that are very important, Tom Skikowski (??) and Mike Murphy, they cross check the players. That grade is very important to me. When we look at a player over the past 3 weeks, I first want to hear from that area scout, then i want to see what Tom or Murphy said about him. That's changed a little bit from last year. Our VP of college scout's key role is organizing and managing the direction of the regional scouts. We don't have a -- there's a system of evaluating players that we're very comfortable with, from Brandt to Lacewell, to Ireland -- there's similar terminology and ratings that we've used so we can get consistency.

Then we ask our coaches -- our position coaches -- to come in and to evaluate the tape, some SB and Combine work and interviews, on 5-10 players. They don't look at all the players. Sometimes they look at players that are down the line, not the top players. But they don't look at them all. We ask our pro personnel people to sit in on this part of the draft evaluation, because we want to know how a particular type of player eventually performs in the NFL. I always have other consulting people as well that I consult with. That's just logical in the role of the GM. I don't know of anyone else that doesn't do that. In one area, I have cumulative 2-300 years of evaluating in people that I consult with.

We get our own background information. We ask our scouts to get info about their character. We have a very complete NFL network of people that look at character issues. The psychological and mental tests they go through has grown tremendously. We spend a lot of time looking at medical examination. So a combination of mental and physical and their makeup -- there's not a player that we don't have a study of their body -- how they can gain weight in the calves, quads, back, upperbody, etc. We have a rundown of how they can improve their physical makeup. We, like all clubs, will be ranking our board. We haven't yet. That's the process of the next 3-4 days. But we have completely evaluated all the players.

NFL Character rules, taken people off the board?
In the past we have. We certainly understand the emphasis the league is placing on behavior. Let's just talk business here. They can't play if they're suspended. They can't be effective if there's a cloud hanging over them. It is an issue, and we have considered it. I don't think that that means that someone who has had a bad history can't do a good job. But the higher you draft them, the higher the risk.

Terrell Brown?
I had a long visit with Terrell. Did I get my questions answered? We had a good conversation. It was not only about him. I like to talk to those secondary guys to get a good read on receivers. They're usually very candid about the receivers they've played.

Is he still on the board?
I will not comment on where we are on that.

Will there be more guys dumped in the basket?
Yes, we're on notice. Goodell has given notice. That was a product of a lot of input from players, owners, and fans. I think that you're more vulnerable with bad decisions off-the-field, which makes it more risky to pick those guys.

Do you have your own checks and balances other than scouts legwork?
There's a good cross-checking there. That can work for and against a player. It can be positive because you can delve into a situation where you can get more information on a player.

Chris Canty?
Chris is not in the same world as the position that the Comm'r is addressing. He was just in the wrong position at th wrong time. You can learn a lot about people and get an edge on information. I didn't know if he would play football, but I knew he wouldn't not play football because of that eye. But from a character standpoint, he's not the type of guy the comm'r is addressing.

Have you crossed people off your list for character issues?
Yes. I've personally, just since the Combine, visited with some 35-36 players. A lot of times those players might have had issued. The good thing about having a personal visit, is that if they're on that list, you can gain some insight.

You want to get a starter at 22?
There's going to be competition for this draft pick. If it's a corner, even a nickel corner, there's going to be competition. That's an example of where even there it's dubious but I'm not even sure a corner could come in and start at nickel. One of the things I should be doing right now -- there's a school of thought that when we had all bases covered and had better teams in the past, that we should have been bundling up and trading up for an impact player. Consequently, I'm looking at that possibility, more than I ever have, at doing that.

Does it help to have all those 2nd day picks?
Bill didn't do us any favors. He left us with a low #1. It would help if we could have 2 #1s to trade up. If there's someone that we could get, and that's a big if, we might could trade up. But you want to use the higher picks because there's more value.

You're looking for a starter?
Well, you know there's always going to be injury. So you might be looking at a guy that could play multiple positions, like O-line. Receiver is one of the tougher positions to start immediately. Yet you could have a top player there that could not only be in starting situations immediately, but also be in a great position in the future.

Bill said he was very leery of drafting a WR in the 1st?
There are a couple positions, where if you're going to use the 1st, you want it to be an impact player. Safety? He needs to be a Roy Williams. He has to be someone that has something extra. Receiver is in that category. If we have the opportunity to get a player that I think is a "wow", is an impact, that's a given. Candidly, I'd like it on the offensive side of the ball. Do something to juice it up. 31 other clubs are probably looking at the same guy. With what we've got at RB, QB, TE, O-line we could draft an impact player at WR.

Would you use a current player to juice it up?
This is the wrong time to try and get value from a player. The day after the draft, players go up a huge percentage in value. But before the draft and druing the draft they have minimal value.

What changed to make you think moving up is a good idea?
Well, like I said we have our bases covered. This year it is critical that we can get something done that is very positive. So I wouldn't want to sacrifice this year in this draft. The value in this draft starts to level out at 8th, 9th, and 10th. We also have an opportunity at trading this year's one for next year's one. That's talking out of both sides of my mouth, but I'm considering it. That is a possibility to put yourself in that position, when you have your bases covered. It allows you to think about going up or helping out next year's draft.

When you look at your best players' you've ever had, they were all top 10 picks, do you want to get that caliber?
The record shows that those high picks have better odds and a bigger impact. There's still a lot of risk. It has more to do with continuing to look back at those years when we had this issue, and if I had it to do over again, I might have taken a couple of those draft picks and gone up to the top and got an impact player. The idea is to win one of these Super Bowls.

How many of those players are there in this draft?
On the offense, there's probably 4. Defensive players, there are about 3 or 4. So a total of about 7 or 8. It's hard to do that (draft up) and give up next year's picks. I wouldn't do that. But it's hard to get up there without doing that. Normally you do that for a QB, but we don't need that.

If we move out and don't have a 1st round pick, we're going to miss a real chance of getting a starter type player. If you get out into the top of the 2nd you're going to miss a couple starters. That would be a next year's move.

Do you need to address the receiver at some point?
The real reason to address WR is that that position is the one with the most depth. You can get a guy in the 2nd or 3rd round. You can do that then. We don't think that Terrell and Glenn won't be here next year. It's possible. Although Crayton isn't under contract past next year, that could change if he has the kinda year we want him to have. But you could get a WR, it might be the smart play, to get one in those late first day draft. But there's one WR that if you put the whole package together, he's probably the best one I've ever seen. But I don't want to pay that price. *laughs*

When you say bundle, would you do a Ricky Williams type trade?
I don't think so. There's not a lot of value in those late picks. It's usually the 4th round pick or so that there's real energy. Well, the real energy is in those next year picks, but we don't want get there.

QB?
I don't want to dismiss us looking at that in the 1st day.

Meriweather, get a good look?
I do think he's a good player. Not scared off by him. Plus, he's an outstanding player. He's a unique player in that could play safety or slot corner. Pretty unique.

Have you talked to him and done your due diligence?
You know, I don't want to get into the details. I'll just say we haven't taken him off the board.

When's the last time you've gone into the draft where you just think you can line up and play?
I feel like the way we've filled in our spots -- that we're not counting on a rookie guy -- I feel like it's been a long while.

Does this give you a chance to take a flier on a guy based on potential?
The ability to get a starter is still there. We all know that the roster as it looks right now will not be the same in the future. Turnover is usually about 30%. I don't want to imply that we're giving up on developing players. If we just go through plain vanilla, drafting at the positions we're at, we could get some potential starters.

Looking at potential pass-rushers?
It does include a pass-rusher. If you're talking about bundling up to get a pass-rusher, though, that's a head-scratcher. It wouldn't make much sense.

So the wow guys are at WR?
What is more realistic is if one of those type guys (the top 7 or 8 referred to earlier) drops down to 11th or 12th.

RB?
Probably, but I doubt that that one (referring to Peterson) would get down that low. We had one do it one time, and when he dropped down we went to get him.

Character -- Did Q. Carter teach you anything before the league did this new thing?
I invested personally a lot of energy into Quincy. We invested a lot of valuable play time, our team's time -- that's the biggest investment -- and I did experience what can happen when you have certain aspects of a decision that you like, but other things that are lacking, you take quite a risk. The thing I regret the most are those games that I invested him. Those hurt. They ate up the collateral around here and the seasons. Certainly the experience we had does influence me today regarding character. It's not that you can't remedy it -- like bringing in Hutchison or other people. But that position is so hard at getting playing time. There's so much pressure at that position, when you look at all that it's a very high price to pay. I was putting more on the line, more consideration, than what I had hoped to gain. That's what the bad decision was -- there was a better way to go with less invested.

So the risk for you is game time?
At that position, you can get -- we did a real good job after Troy of not exposing our franchise to huge financial hits that we were going to be working out for year. You do that when you draft a QB high or make a big commitment in FA. My hat's off to New Orleans with Brees, but you miss a lot on those risks -- those big contracts can cripple you. I had a fixation on not having that happen. We just didn't have the opportunity of sitting at #1 and having Troy Aikman waiting for you. So we tried to develop some, and if you wanted to hindsight games, you use up a lot of energy and game time doing that. You put all of that out here, and that's just too much to risk.

Is it BPA? Is it that simple?
I'd like to rephrase it. There's a little more to it. I would say "safest player available." You factor in risks involved. There are positions that are easier to evaluate. There are positions I'm comfortable with. There are positions where you can hide a player's problems. There are others that you can hide. So those positions are easier to draft. You can say BPA but the reality is that you can go a lot of ways. You can take a position that has some more risk. You can look at your roster and think you might have someone that can do something. You might want to look at the structure we talked about earlier, and wonder why that isn't decisive about who is the guy. But there's more to it.

Trade chart? How much of a role does that play?
Mike basically thought you could do that. He thought you could quantify something that was not facially numerical. Anyone that's been around Mike McCoy would know that he is a genius with numbers. He makes things very practical. The facts are that there are a couple at there right now and they're flawed. They're antiquated.

Did you guys use it as a weapon early because you were the only ones that had?
Well, some coaches that left took it with them. But there was an interest in everyone having it. You could negotiate using it. It was more logical. There was a common language, so that was a plus for us.

How much has Wade had in the draft?
With his experience in seeing players, and his vested interest in our future, we're really aligned here. Anytime you can call on someone that has that kind of interest. That has that kind of experience, you're going to get his input. I've outlined generally our structure, but frankly the coaches are covering as much ground as we have in the past.

How has it changed without Bill?
I'd say that Bill was a little more focused on a certain proto-type that were his system. Wade is true to form, he'll take a guy that is drafted for another system and make him work in his system. It's unlikely that you're going to get a bunch of proto-types. Wade is comparing his input, he would emphasize speed. We've always had a speed emphasis. Bill would always joke about calling us the SEC rather than the Mid-Western conference. Coaches in general, by their very nature, their job is to do something different with the player. They want the player to do something different than what he's doing. That's there job -- to coach players. So therein lies what you have to adjust for -- all coaches will admit that you've just gotta accept a player as he is sometimes. Back to Bill, we're looking at more speed, and a willingness to look a little less at size, whether it be small or large. As you know Bill didn't like big RBs. Switzer wanted shorter RBs. We may be willing to look at bigger RBs, or smaller linemen, etc.

Things in the evaluation process that Bill brought?
No, I would say that he liked how we did it. What we looked at. He liked that. He liked Jeff Ireland. Ireland was Lacewell's self-appointed successor. He liked what we did.

Is he still one of your consultants?
I'd call him in a minute. I haven't since we started our draft meetings, but I will call him. And I'm going to call Switzer and get him in. I've got Lacewell looking at players. He's got a lot of take.

Have you done that in the past?
I've brought Switzer in in the past. Larry has been looking at tape for the past 3-4 years. Bill was the football coach, not the personel guy.

Do you need to get a fullback?
I think we've got our bases covered. But we're looking at it. We like Polite and Hoyt.

Would you draft a guy in the first that you haven't brought in as a visit?
No, I don't see us bringing in any more players. But we might draft a player other than one that has visited. It would most likely be one, but I wouldn't not draft one because we didn't bring him in.

How important are smoke screens?
I think, apart from 1st and 2nd pick, most teams don't know what they're going to do. They don't want to create a situation where people will jump up ahead of them. Like KC with Gonzalez. There are some teams that historically don't do a lot of trading that will do some trading. The last time I got together with other owners and GMs, they said they'd be calling us wanting to some trading.

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85909

jdnoyes
04-23-2007, 03:49 PM

Yeah take what he said with a grain of salt, heck how can he reveal draft strategy when he claims they haven't even put their board together. Having said that I think you can imply some things from what he said. What I thought was most interesting is that he has two trades already on the table where we get out of the first round for a 2nd and a 2008 1st, maybe he made that up, but I don't think so.

D-Unit
04-23-2007, 03:56 PM
What i found interesting...

1. We dont have a big board set up yet...apparently
We've had one set up since April 30, 2006.

2. JJ didnt rule out moving up.
All options still open... that's not news.

3. Talked about drafting a CB to compete for NB position.
Says we need to address CB depth... that's not news either.

4. Hinted at wanting a starter in the first. (Spencer, perhaps?)
OK, what NFL team doesn't want that?

5. Wants offense in 1st. (Big Impact)
We'll be going defense unless something big happens.

6. JJ does not want to get value from a player (no Julius trade on draft day?)
Lies. At least one player from our team will be traded or at the very least, their names will be brought up in trade discussion.

7. Rather move up than down this year but, have recieved trade offers for another first rounder next year... trade could happen before draft.
Half way truth. You can't lie your way through the entire press conference. It would make it too obvious.

8. 4 offensive players he would trade up for.
If there are 4 offensive players he would trade up for, wouldn't he sit still and hope one of them reaches him. LOL. If he said 1 or 2, then that would be more believable. He setting himself up to say, "We're so happy that ______ fell to us at 22! He was one of the guys who we almost traded up for!"

9. 3-4 defensive players he would trade up for.
See above.

10. Wants to add receiver depth (1st day) but, very happy with Crayton, Austin, Hurd.
Wants to send the message across to teams aiming for WRs, that we might take one and they better trade up.

11. Doesnt want to trade future picks.
Another half truth. No harm in saying that.

12. Really likes Brandon Meriweather, not scared of character concerns...talked about him as S and CB.
Biggest BS statement of the day.

13. Talked about getting a pass rusher... not necessarily fitting our system (interesting)
ATTENTION TO ALL NFL TEAMS PICKING AFTER PICK 22: Jerry Jones wants you to think that you need to trade up with us to get your guy. He's threatening to take ANYONE.

14. We are looking at RB.
We're looking for upgrades at every position.

15. Didnt rule out late round QB.
Oops! A truth slipped out that he didn't mean to give away. Not real damaging nevertheless.

16. We're set at FB.
Second biggest BS statement of the day. There is someone that they really want and hope he gets to them.

See my comments in bold for the real message of today's press conference.

D-Unit
04-23-2007, 03:58 PM
He didnt bring up Meriweather... a reporter asked about him.
Doesn't matter. He was prepared to answer any questions about a specific player with a "Yes, we could be interested" response. Only adds confusion for other teams worrying.

M.O.T.H.
04-23-2007, 04:00 PM
Oh d... that gave me a good laugh. :)

D-Unit
04-23-2007, 04:04 PM
Oh d... that gave me a good laugh. :)
:D Don't say I didn't warn you. Ha ha... It was fun writing up too.

leroyisgod
04-23-2007, 04:09 PM
Smoke and mirrors, smoke and mirrors. Everything he said is pretty vague and I'm sure most coaches or gm's from other teams are saying the same thing. JJ has his poker face on big time right now.

kwilk103
04-23-2007, 04:26 PM
he said we have a deal in place w/ 2 teams to get there 2008 #1--now if this is true, i think it would be with a team with a high #2 and that will prob be bad next year--det, oak, miami

now, i think we would use our 2 #1 next year and julius jones to trade up and get

darren mcfadden--he has the arkansas connection

i think its jerrys master plan

or it could all be smoke and mirrors

D-Unit
04-23-2007, 04:29 PM
he said we have a deal in place w/ 2 teams to get there 2008 #1--now if this is true, i think it would be with a team with a high #2 and that will prob be bad next year--det, oak, miami

now, i think we would use our 2 #1 next year and julius jones to trade up and get

Darren McFadden? No.

Jake Long. Yes.

M.O.T.H.
04-23-2007, 04:40 PM

That wouldnt work... JJ is a free agent after this season, we couldnt trade him.

D-Unit
04-23-2007, 04:43 PM
That wouldnt work... JJ is a free agent after this season, we couldnt trade him.
No, but with 2 first rounders, we could move up.

M.O.T.H.
04-23-2007, 04:45 PM
No, but with 2 first rounders, we could move up.

Oh, i know...not gonna get a lot of value out of that 32nd pick, though.

Modano
04-23-2007, 04:56 PM
Darren McFadden? No.

Jake Long. Yes.

Don't you like McFaddenn or you simply think he's gonna be the first overall or something out of range?

D-Unit
04-23-2007, 04:59 PM
Don't you like McFaddenn or you simply think he's gonna be the first overall or something out of range?
I like McFadden, but I'm not overwhelmed like everyone else.

Seeing as unless we get a high quality LT in this year's draft, that immediately becomes our #1 need next offseason. FA is costly to address LT. Right now, Long just seems like the more logical pick. RBs are a dime a dozen.

thule
04-23-2007, 06:21 PM
This is the wrong time to try and get value from a player. The day after the draft, players go up a huge percentage in value. But before the draft and druing the draft they have minimal value.

I love this comment by JJ. Think about it...a guy like Pittman or Henry are sitting there in the 3rd...and a team looking for a RB hasn't addressed it yet. We take them, now we have insurance...and we also deplete the RB crop some...which means the day after the draft we have the leverage...and a team that didn't get lucky enough to bring in a RB to be an above average starter is now calling us saying....we'll give you blah blah blah for JJ...we really need a starter. I've never thought about it like this...but I give props to Jerry.

M.O.T.H.
04-23-2007, 06:23 PM

I love this comment by JJ. Think about it...a guy like Pittman or Henry are sitting there in the 3rd...and a team looking for a RB hasn't addressed it yet. We take them, now we have insurance...and we also deplete the RB crop some...which means the day after the draft we have the leverage...and a team that didn't get lucky enough to bring in a RB to be an above average starter is now calling us saying....we'll give you blah blah blah for JJ...we really need a starter. I've never thought about it like this...but I give props to Jerry.

Exactly, that's why i cannot see a Jones trade on draft day but afterwards... who knows.

D-Unit
04-23-2007, 06:56 PM
What were the post draft trades last year? I don't recall any. Fact of the matter is after the draft, EVERY team feels super excited about what they did and all think they did a good job. Even if they draft a late round RB, they will stick it out and see what they got before they make a "day after the draft" type of trade. Seriously... Teams often hold high hopes for their sleeper picks.

I don't think trading Julius after the draft is even a possibility. It would have to happen before or during.

jdnoyes
04-23-2007, 07:12 PM
Jerry says he won't trade a player on draft day cause of the lack of value, but if somebody offered him a decent deal i'd bet my bottom dollar JJ would be playing in another uniform next year.

Achilles33
04-23-2007, 07:50 PM
What does everyone think of Quentin Moses? I think he will be a steal in the 2nd-3rd round. He is a great fit as a 3-4 OLB/pass rush specialist IMO.

LSUALUM99
04-24-2007, 10:30 AM
I like moses better than Charles Johnson b/c of his size and pass rushing skills.

Ware_HITStick
04-26-2007, 03:18 PM
I wish we would have gotten merriman... imagine, merriman and ware with no spears

M.O.T.H.
04-26-2007, 03:23 PM
I wish we would have gotten merriman... imagine, merriman and ware with no spears

If you took Merriman, you wouldnt have Ware... It was one or the other, they went in consecutive picks.

HEISMANHERSCHEL
04-26-2007, 03:29 PM
That press confrence was the biggest bunch of crap I have ever heard. I dont think one piece of ligit info was in it. All he did was tell everyone what they know. I didnt expect him to say anything that would give his hand away, but come on....